Contemporary OI! that doesn't suck....

Discussions about bands, songs, music genres and all those funny sounds we like so much
dave-brown

Contemporary OI! that doesn't suck....

Postby dave-brown » Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:03 pm

It's becoming harder and harder to find. Given the quality of some of the OI! bands coming out if i was in fact a skinhead, i'd probably grow my hair out, throw out my exuberantly priced ben sherman shirts and give up on the whole thing.
Allot of bands coming out, a large amount of it coming out on Randale Records from Germany, are tedious, weak, poppy and far too overproduced. Predominantly featuring chorus's along the lines of "I frequently cut my hair, and I'm pretty chuffed about it" and "Im antiscocial and i feel like hitting something/someone due to the fact that society judges me harshly in an uneducated and biggoted fashion". If it was a German band, they would have some gruff cookie monsterish character barking those lyrics over chugging riffs, and if it was a British band, it would sound more poppy, with far more palm muting and much more harmonized backing vocals.
I'm not asking for the lyrical and poetic genius of the Angelic Upstarts, the spine tingling awesome riffs of Sparrer, nor the raw aggression of 4skins or the Rejects, but just something slightly more inspiring than Jenny Woo or Booze and Glory.

If you have found any new ones half decent let me know, here's a couple current bands who've released shit within the last couple years who i really enjoy,

Rixe (France) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSWZJGxQ_nQ
Bishops Green (canada) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBiIQ8v1geI
Marching Orders (Melbourne) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiqrRIS_iqM

RIxe have really awesome aggressive sound and sing in french, which is nice that they're not putting fake English accents on and singing about West Ham
Bishops GreenVancouver band that grow on me more and more each time I hear them, melodic riffs with an old school feel and an openly gay singer which is refreshing in that genre.
Marching Orders Slightly more patriotic than I like, and im always dubious of OI!bands who sport sneakers, but are doing really well globally and have a few bangers. They play europe more than they do in australia it seems

Sam Deformed

Re: Contemporary OI! that doesn't suck....

Postby Sam Deformed » Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:47 pm

Rixe are fucking great! Seen them last year. Am hoping they put out a full LP.
There's the US Criminal Damage which is the drummer of Tragedy Paul playing Blitz-worship - I'm sure you've already given them a go.
Although they're a little more 'HC' and you're fave Dave - Straight Edge. Give Violent Reaction a go.
You must hunt down Vanity Dave. Brilliant Oi stuff from NYC. Saw them at NDY fest last year in Toronto.

Sam Deformed

Postby Sam Deformed » Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:09 pm

Cheers for that Bishops Green Dave. Top album! And agreed really refreshing to have an openly gay singer in the oi genre..

dave-brown

Postby dave-brown » Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:31 pm

Sam Deformed wrote:Rixe are fucking great! Seen them last year. Am hoping they put out a full LP.
There's the US Criminal Damage which is the drummer of Tragedy Paul playing Blitz-worship - I'm sure you've already given them a go.
Although they're a little more 'HC' and you're fave Dave - Straight Edge. Give Violent Reaction a go.
You must hunt down Vanity Dave. Brilliant Oi stuff from NYC. Saw them at NDY fest last year in Toronto.

Criminal Damage are sick, havent heard much Vanity, but skinhead Joe has played them to me before, I'll give em a go.
He also introduced me to this band yesterday, Oi! From Basque Country.. Hawkins Thugs,

I Forgot you were in Canada now, should check out some of the other bands the singer from bishops green has been in.. Glory Stompers and Lancasters, I think Subway thugs too

Drax

Postby Drax » Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:59 pm

That Rixe logo looks a fuckload like the Black Panthers one.

I don't have any contemporary Oi! shit to add to this but if you wanna hear some recent Oi!-influenced hardcore give Creem a blast. This band has some fuckin bangers.

Sam Deformed

Postby Sam Deformed » Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:16 pm

That Creem is dope Drax. Hawkins Thugs shennangs not bad either. I've been hooning this band in the past week also. British-Canadian band from Northern England called Last Crusade.

FC
Orange Ska Dork

Postby FC » Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:28 am

Haha, that's my friend Ben third from the left.
PertHJ wrote:I disagree with Aidans divergence from ska music, but agree with his correct use of scientific terms

Ois II Men|Hatewanx|XfrankgrimesX

Sam Deformed

Postby Sam Deformed » Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:01 pm

FC wrote:Haha, that's my friend Ben third from the left.

Classic loals. Some top tunes.

dave-brown

Postby dave-brown » Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:20 pm

FC wrote:Haha, that's my friend Ben third from the left.

I would of said he was second from the right. Either way, your mate Ben's band is pretty sweet.

dave-brown

Postby dave-brown » Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:27 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7o4bZU1ZHrc&ebc=ANyPxKpJsSYHAz195am9lBpuHdueTLTuPNKOabj4AQjiUsv0UKWjnygoxPTkTWF2LqjesEVYexCGcwU8ZWCWfUYkS2442-_CjQ

These guys vocals are all over the place, I like it allot, dirty as and honest, allot rougher than say......this..... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFI0tWQrs9o
haha, I imagine this is what Shania Twain would sound like if she gave OI! a go

Mattsturbate

Postby Mattsturbate » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:50 pm

Drax

Postby Drax » Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:38 pm

Sam Deformed wrote:That Creem is dope Drax.

Fucking solid band. Its like everything good from Boston Crew and NYC in the '80s with all the shit skimmed.

dave-brown

Postby dave-brown » Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:04 pm

Drax wrote:
Sam Deformed wrote:That Creem is dope Drax.

Fucking solid band. Its like everything good from Boston Crew and NYC in the '80s with all the shit skimmed.

Pretty accurate description, its solid as

Sam Deformed

Postby Sam Deformed » Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:16 pm

Shit Dave that Jenny Woo was uh...hectic.

Dubpunker

Postby Dubpunker » Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:34 am

Whitey

Postby Whitey » Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:27 am

Just listen to Hardskin on repeat Dave.

BigBadBazza wrote:keep your shit life experiences for facebook status updates

FC
Orange Ska Dork

Postby FC » Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:44 pm

I second this
PertHJ wrote:I disagree with Aidans divergence from ska music, but agree with his correct use of scientific terms

Ois II Men|Hatewanx|XfrankgrimesX

dave-brown

Postby dave-brown » Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:08 pm

Whitey wrote:Just listen to Hardskin on repeat Dave.

yeah hard out, good band, awesome crowd hecklers. Some one called Bob a 'fat cunt' on stage once, to which he retorted through the p.a, "Im only fat, cos every time i fucked your mother she gave me a biscuit".

Anyway if you get sick of OI, heres a french guy who does some nifty synth randitions........
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg_e85ucJiQ&ebc=ANyPxKrixExMq3jaZzbD-_BnB2TEgd8OoqOaI8ralLqR4dZo_h86YRC7njjBsg1lje3jX9l6jgPelTickgqKkjEBghzuEnlakA

Sam Deformed

Postby Sam Deformed » Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:38 pm

dave-brown wrote:Anyway if you get sick of OI, heres a french guy who does some nifty synth randitions........
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg_e85ucJiQ&ebc=ANyPxKrixExMq3jaZzbD-_BnB2TEgd8OoqOaI8ralLqR4dZo_h86YRC7njjBsg1lje3jX9l6jgPelTickgqKkjEBghzuEnlakA

Might be seeing DO at a festival in Washington DC. That Blitz cover is great too haha.

More Rixe I hadn't heard before. Love that knife/globe logo.

bermondsey_choir

Postby bermondsey_choir » Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:43 pm

Oi! im liking right now but maybe you wont like some 'randale bands' haha
lions law
booze & glory
victory
argy bargy
oxleys midnight runners
suede razors
seaside rebels
second bishops green and rixe, theres one othe song that hasn't been posted that just came out
noi!se
jonny rioux cowboi

9seconds

Postby 9seconds » Sun Mar 13, 2016 5:07 pm

had been meaning to mention oxleys midnight runners too, and maybe stage bottles.
"Look how happy he is"

dave-brown

Postby dave-brown » Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:33 pm

bermondsey_choir wrote:booze & glory

They are the prime example of what I find wrong with Oi! today. If you strip it back, its just pop punk under the guise of Skinhead apparel. But that is merely my opinion and thus entirely subjective.

This is not recent at all, but i just bought the twelve inch on the weekend, and its pretty sweet discovering more quality french oi...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdshtiqRr20

9seconds

Postby 9seconds » Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:32 pm

some of thats obviously a bit old to be called contemporary, but i couldnt resist, and some of the other stuff i dont understand they might be singing about boots and braces and short hair, in fact of course they are, what the fuck else do Oi! bands ever sing about?
"Look how happy he is"

Whitey

Postby Whitey » Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:13 pm

9seconds wrote:some of thats obviously a bit old to be called contemporary, but i couldnt resist, and some of the other stuff i dont understand they might be singing about boots and braces and short hair, in fact of course they are, what the fuck else do Oi! bands ever sing about?

Booze, being proud of who you are, stand up for yourself & fighting.

dave-brown

Postby dave-brown » Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:22 pm

[quote="9seconds"]

quote]
Skin flicks are epic as, from Luxembourg. Kind of a confusing group though, on the front of their albums on of them is wearing a crass shirt, then they sample Romper Stomper at the start of one of their tracks. And that image on that youtube video, the guy has a Brutal Attack tattoo, a band that is on par with SKrewdriver and Landser

Dubpunker

Postby Dubpunker » Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:22 pm

PertHJ
Inventor of 'LOAL'

Postby PertHJ » Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:51 pm

Great thread, am working through the links/vids - Bishops Green a particular favourite. Definitely agree with booze and glory just being pop punk.

Getting into new music is a struggle these days
http://hungjurynz.bandcamp.com/
http://www.discogs.com/user/pertHJ

Drinking beers, hell yeah!! Smoking dope, KICK TO THROAT!!

9seconds

Postby 9seconds » Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:34 pm

dave-brown wrote:
9seconds wrote:

Skin flicks are epic as, from Luxembourg. Kind of a confusing group though, on the front of their albums on of them is wearing a crass shirt, then they sample Romper Stomper at the start of one of their tracks. And that image on that youtube video, the guy has a Brutal Attack tattoo, a band that is on par with SKrewdriver and Landser

yeh i saw the brutal attack tatt, and figured the guy in the pic was a nazi, makes them look edgier tho dont ya think? :calavcalav:
i think the video is fan made anyway

which song samples romperstomper? im familiar with the movie, and have skinflicks discog, tho theres some stuff i hardly bother to listen to, but im sure i would have noticed.
the song in questions 'skinhead skinhead' chant is clearly inspired by the romperstomper soundtracks 'pulling up the boots' tho, first time i heard it i thought it was a sample, but its good music, and i have heard plenty of more mainstream punk bands with more questionable lyrics.

sometimes i just think they just chuck in subtle antifa references to keep the scene police off their back, while keeping that edgy image so that the fash, who never notice subtleties anyway will listen to them too. :baton: :explainittomelikeimfive:
"Look how happy he is"

Whitey

Postby Whitey » Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:38 am

Oi!'s a tricky one, because any band from England that uses anything remotely patriotic is probably a racist band. There's also the classic fence sitting which usually means they're a racist band as well. I remember watching an Oi! band when I lived in Bristol who were banging on about being A-Political, then going into a song about St. George :roll:

Here's a few bands (I don't know anything about em aside from their cheesy tracks) - you've probably heard of em before but on the off chance you haven't:

Evil Conduct

Gimp Fist

Control (not really my thing but people tend to like em)

Vanilla Muffins (Members of Booze & Glory)

The Pennycocks (Spain)

Return to “Music”