Worst "punk" music that you have liked

Discussions about bands, songs, music genres and all those funny sounds we like so much
PertHJ
Inventor of 'LOAL'

Worst "punk" music that you have liked

Postby PertHJ » Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:51 pm

Some of the pop punk/3rd wave ska I liked when I was young was obviously pretty bad, but I can happily listen to pretty much all of it still...I guess due to nostalgia.

I think the worst was probably that weird period circa 2004 when AFI - Sing The Sorrow and Mars Volta - De Loused in the comatorium were on heavy rotation. Haven't listened to either in a long time, I suspect I'd probably enjoy the former, which maybe is't a good thing.
http://hungjurynz.bandcamp.com/
http://www.discogs.com/user/pertHJ

Drinking beers, hell yeah!! Smoking dope, KICK TO THROAT!!

dustbinflowers

Re: Worst "punk" music that you have liked

Postby dustbinflowers » Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:16 pm

I've always liked Billy Idol.
Apart from that, worst as in musically shit, or tryhard shit, or pop in the name of punk?
It's a pretty relative value.
Uncinia vector

PertHJ
Inventor of 'LOAL'

Postby PertHJ » Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:18 pm

What ever you like :)

Billy Idol is pretty awesome

dustbinflowers

Postby dustbinflowers » Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:22 pm

... but maybe not punk.

;)
Uncinia vector

Subcide

Postby Subcide » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:24 pm

'I Like It When You Die' is the fourth album by American grindcore band Anal Cunt. The album was originally titled You're Gay, and the album cover was going to contain a mirror, but this idea was later changed

Phlegm

Postby Phlegm » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:27 pm

The Toy Dolls rule.

Deidre is a slag should be the English national anthem or at least the Coronation Street opening tune.

Doesn't count as shit but I now find a lot of Fugazi a difficult listening experience.

I liked The Offspring but they fell off my radar with "Pretty Fly" etc...
Cosmo Kramer wrote:WHAT DOES THAT MEANT TO MEAN

http://smalltakeover.blogspot.com

PertHJ
Inventor of 'LOAL'

Postby PertHJ » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:30 pm

Fugazi - due to too much listening in the past or dredging up emo feels?

Phlegm

Postby Phlegm » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:42 pm

Dunno, it just doesn't that good to my ears anymore. It may well be due to overexposure in the past.
Cosmo Kramer wrote:WHAT DOES THAT MEANT TO MEAN

http://smalltakeover.blogspot.com

Dead Kid

Postby Dead Kid » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:51 pm

Probably doesn't get any worse than Aussie white power viking worship for a chuckle. It feels like the auditory equivalent of munching down Chiko Rolls:

The band put forward a mixture of traditional Asatru themes, social observations and what they refer to as "Heathen Politics" - an infusion of current social observations infused with an Odinist point of view.

General Mutante wrote:"So you think you're floating in mint sauce son"

PertHJ
Inventor of 'LOAL'

Postby PertHJ » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:57 pm

Phlegm wrote:Dunno, it just doesn't that good to my ears anymore. It may well be due to overexposure in the past.

Fucked Up is one of those bands for me. Maybe with time I'll enjoy them again.

FC
Orange Ska Dork

Postby FC » Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:52 am

Probably some of the really terrible third wave ska stuff. Jefferies Fan Club or Suburban Legends or something awful like that. Pennywise or Kitsch or some rubbish 90s skate punk.
PertHJ wrote:I disagree with Aidans divergence from ska music, but agree with his correct use of scientific terms

Ois II Men|Hatewanx|XfrankgrimesX

Dixon Cider A.C.

Postby Dixon Cider A.C. » Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:07 am

Maybe Charles Bronson or Straight Edge Kegger. Heaps of Man Is The Bastard fucking sucks. I struggle a bit with some of the Oi I used to listen to now. Not a lot of street punk was all that flash either looking back. Not really ashamed of anything that I used to listen to though, not really sure if that's where you were headed with this thread Pert? Thinly veiled guilty pleasures thread perhaps?

FC
Orange Ska Dork

Postby FC » Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:19 am

I think its more music you used to listen to, that you think is a bit embarrassing and wouldnt listen to now.

Later Charles Bronson is still rad.
PertHJ wrote:I disagree with Aidans divergence from ska music, but agree with his correct use of scientific terms

Subcide

Postby Subcide » Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:42 pm

PertHJ wrote:Fugazi - due to too much listening in the past or dredging up emo feels?

I know when I saw them live in the 90s I found them to be kind of dull and to drag on for ages. Was a disappointment compared to what I'd heard about their shows.
'I Like It When You Die' is the fourth album by American grindcore band Anal Cunt. The album was originally titled You're Gay, and the album cover was going to contain a mirror, but this idea was later changed

PertHJ
Inventor of 'LOAL'

Postby PertHJ » Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:31 pm

Dixon Cider A.C. wrote:Not really ashamed of anything that I used to listen to though, not really sure if that's where you were headed with this thread Pert? Thinly veiled guilty pleasures thread perhaps?

Nah, like Aids said, more so music that you struggle to enjoy now

For me it seems that in general I can easily listen to everything that I liked during my mid - late teens, not matter how bad it was or how much I listened to it. Most of the music I struggle with now is shit I thrashed in my early 20's.

dustbinflowers

Postby dustbinflowers » Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:01 pm

I listened to Dystopia awhile ago for the first time in at least a decade, and couldn't do it. I think I am missing the essential ingredient of teen angst. It wasn't that I didn't like it, I just couldn't get through more than two songs.
Uncinia vector

Dixon Cider A.C.

Postby Dixon Cider A.C. » Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:08 pm

Gotta be in the mood to listen to the worlds wingiest piece of shit for Dystopia I reckon. Most emo shit I've ever come across. The tunes still hold up though. Got that Human=Garbage reissue a couple years ago, worth chucking on for a laugh at how utterly dismal the lyrics are.

akaxo

Postby akaxo » Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:35 pm

ha yeah i got that reissue too as i used to listen to it a hell of a lot. still loved it on hearing it for the first time in years but don't really listen to it at all now since getting it again

shit like nofx, early green day, screeching weasel is about all that i can think of for me, no appeal now
We must secure the extinction of all people and no future for any children

hiv-positive

Postby hiv-positive » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:13 pm

The honest but impolite answer is a whole bunch of local stuff that was objectively shit and generic as fuck but perfectly fine in terms of it existing and being something you could feel belonged to you at the time.

Heaps of the death metal that I genuinely thought was amazing when I was 14 is shameful to listen to now. I tried listening to Deicide recently - what a fucking joke.

mark tyler

Postby mark tyler » Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:57 am

Dixon Cider A.C. wrote: I struggle a bit with some of the Oi I used to listen to now. Not a lot of street punk was all that flash either looking back.

Thats how i feel too, very rarely listen to it now, although i still love The Business and Cockney Rejects and some of the old Oi compilations.
Interesting thread, give me something else to think about at the slaughterhouse today.
General Mutante wrote:This just goes to show that if you've got anything remotely constructive to say then here's not the best place to say it.

9seconds

Postby 9seconds » Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:16 pm

yeh, i used to really like the templars, i dunno what that was about really, great lyrics mostly, but some of those songs are so fucking cringe, a lot of the awkward as fuck, trying too hard Oi bands really do suck and its like nobody wants to admit it, haha.

used to be into offspring. but never liked greenday, still love nofx.

theres a lot of bands mentioned above like doom that i spent a fair bit of time trying to like, but never could quite manage to.
"Look how happy he is"

dustbinflowers

Postby dustbinflowers » Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:30 pm

Ha, yep, there's a few bands out there that I found mindblowing, impressive, good, yep- but I couldn't actually listen to them for more than a couple of songs.
Uncinia vector

9seconds

Postby 9seconds » Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:34 pm

fugazi i still listen to, but only a few songs usually, steady diet, waiting room, couple others.
"Look how happy he is"

dustbinflowers

Postby dustbinflowers » Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:46 pm

Steady Diet of Nothing is probably the Fugazi album I still listen to semi regularly.
Ha, this thread has made me go and listen to a whole lot of stuff to see what I still like. Good news, I still like the first stuff I got into- Crass, Dirt, Subhumans, Conflict, DKs, Stiff Little Fingers, Flux of Pink Indians, Amebix and Oi Palloi. Not so keen now on a lot of the Dis bands,
Now revisiting Amebix- Arise!
Uncinia vector

dave-brown

Postby dave-brown » Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:04 am

I went to Pod Parau, a punk festival in south of Czech Republic last year with me mate Scotty. A super gnarly festival that i would entirely recommend, Amazing bands from U.K like the business, subhumans, Varukers (Angelic Upstarts pulled out the cunts) were mixed in with bands from america and other parts of europe, allot of local Czech stuff which was really neat too. 4 days for about 50 bucks nz. with free camping and 1 nzd beers but also byo

anyway I digress..... Anti Flag headlined one night.....turns out i know all the words and had a really good time....in my defence i had consumed an incredible amount of really good/affordable czech pilsner. But they were actually really good live, so there ya go.
They are very whiny, too american , way too marketable and somewhat hard to take seriously ....but they did put on a good show.

PertHJ
Inventor of 'LOAL'

Postby PertHJ » Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:33 am

I'm impressed you admitted that haha

I dislike them for all the reasons you mention, but suspect I would really enjoy all the songs from die for the government (don't know any other albums haha)

FC
Orange Ska Dork

Postby FC » Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:02 am

dave-brown wrote:I went to Pod Parau, a punk festival in south of Czech Republic last year with me mate Scotty. A super gnarly festival that i would entirely recommend, Amazing bands from U.K like the business, subhumans, Varukers (Angelic Upstarts pulled out the cunts) were mixed in with bands from america and other parts of europe, allot of local Czech stuff which was really neat too. 4 days for about 50 bucks nz. with free camping and 1 nzd beers but also byo

anyway I digress..... Anti Flag headlined one night.....turns out i know all the words and had a really good time....in my defence i had consumed an incredible amount of really good/affordable czech pilsner. But they were actually really good live, so there ya go.
They are very whiny, too american , way too marketable and somewhat hard to take seriously ....but they did put on a good show.

I woke up on the Sunday one year, under a tree because it was hot, and someone had stolen my entire tent and everything in it. Bit grim, but I called up a czech girl I met a month earlier to come get me, got laid and ended up dating her for three months, so you know, silver linings and all that.

dave-brown

Postby dave-brown » Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:22 pm

FC wrote:
I woke up on the Sunday one year, under a tree because it was hot, and someone had stolen my entire tent and everything in it. Bit grim, but I called up a czech girl I met a month earlier to come get me, got laid and ended up dating her for three months, so you know, silver linings and all that.

hah nice. The likely-hood of getting slightly too sauced and forgetting where your tent was is out of the question?

i liked how the food tent would cook instant noodles for you for a few cents, as a vego it was a welcome changed to fried cheese and chips every fucking day

dave-brown

Postby dave-brown » Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:27 pm

PertHJ wrote:I'm impressed you admitted that haha

I dislike them for all the reasons you mention, but suspect I would really enjoy all the songs from die for the government (don't know any other albums haha)

Yeah ive re-embraced my pop punk days, listened to MxPx the other day....
But yeah anti flag were not bad live, 'Drink drank Punk' went nuts. Die for the Government was a fav when i was 15 going on 16. Scotty reminded me in the morning how excited i was too see them, its a bit of a drunken blur, but hey, as the old saying goes "When in Czech, drink too much and let your teenage self dictate your music taste!" (roughly translated of course)

Dixon Cider A.C.

Postby Dixon Cider A.C. » Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:41 pm

9seconds wrote:still love nofx.

theres a lot of bands mentioned above like doom that i spent a fair bit of time trying to like, but never could quite manage to.

nofx rule. doom rule. You've told me before that you think nobody actually likes doom, extreme noise terror etc haha, its a classic call. I can see why you'd think that but andy blastman giving me a burnt disrupt cd changed my life forever. Influential shit.

dustbinflowers wrote:Good news, I still like the first stuff I got into- Crass, Dirt, Subhumans, Conflict, DKs, Stiff Little Fingers, Flux of Pink Indians, Amebix and Oi Palloi. Not so keen now on a lot of the Dis bands,
Now revisiting Amebix- Arise!

I'm the other way a bit. Still love DKs but less inclined to put a Conflict or Subhumans record on than Discharge or, I dunno, anything from Sweden. Which isn't to say that I'd name any of the above in a thread like this. Crass maybe. hmm.

dave-brown wrote:Yeah ive re-embraced my pop punk days, listened to MxPx the other day....

Who knew Dave had pop punk days, no less pop punk days that featured mxpx.

Return to “Music”