Kiwi Powerviolence/ Grindcore bands?

Discussions about bands, songs, music genres and all those funny sounds we like so much
buttertoastftw

Kiwi Powerviolence/ Grindcore bands?

Postby buttertoastftw » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:47 pm

Yeah, really digging the American powerviolence scene at the moment, Crossed Out, Despise You, Endless Blockade, Man is the Bastard etc...

Just wondering if any of you guys know of any kiwi Powerviolence (or grindcore) bands? Active or not, I don't really mind, 'long as there's some place where I can give 'em a listen and whatnot.

In return, 10000000000 internets.

Cheers :D

FC
Orange Ska Dork

Re: Kiwi Powerviolence/ Grindcore bands?

Postby FC » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:17 pm

Defintely active:

Numbskull (Wgtn)
http://numbskull.bandcamp.com/

XfrankgrimesX (chch)
http://xfrankgrimesx.bandcamp.com/

Maybe active, im not really sure:

Police Lineup (wgtn)
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UJASUSANas[/youtube]

Pillage (ak)
http://www.myspace.com/pillagegppvt

Drug Problem (wgtn)
http://protestblog00.blogspot.com/2010/ ... itled.html
PertHJ wrote:I disagree with Aidans divergence from ska music, but agree with his correct use of scientific terms

Ois II Men|Hatewanx|XfrankgrimesX

Honist Ta Hu

Postby Honist Ta Hu » Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:16 am

[Tim]

Postby [Tim] » Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:17 am

Foe (Dunedin): http://www.mediafire.com/?9u7rjzs1bdv5jx5 ...perhaps not solely PV but I like to steer it in that direction whenever I can :lol:

Crawler (AK) are the best at this kinda shit: http://crawlerhc.bandcamp.com/

Aborted Christians (Hamilton) will slay you with some sweet grind: http://drugviolence.blogspot.com/2011/0 ... ssion.html

wassup rockers

Postby wassup rockers » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:40 am

everything mentioned and

electric mayhem (hamilton):
http://drugviolence.blogspot.com/2011/0 ... -demo.html

are pretty mean as well

wassup rockers

Postby wassup rockers » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:43 am

pretty ancient now but

grind thugs (auckland)
http://www.myspace.com/grindthugs

:baton:

Rude Mike

Postby Rude Mike » Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:31 pm

all posts relevant 8)
PILLAGE - http://www.myspace.com/pillagegppvt
Thrashing grinding powerviolence coming straight at you at the speed of death.

FC
Orange Ska Dork

Postby FC » Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:35 pm

wassup rockers wrote:everything mentioned and

electric mayhem (hamilton):
http://drugviolence.blogspot.com/2011/0 ... -demo.html

are pretty mean as well

Probably my favourite NZ grindcore band ;)
PertHJ wrote:I disagree with Aidans divergence from ska music, but agree with his correct use of scientific terms

wassup rockers

Postby wassup rockers » Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:47 pm

hahaha, was just posting cause they're fast as fuck and mean. i suspect people who dig p/v would dig them

Antiseptic

Postby Antiseptic » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:02 pm

wassup rockers wrote:hahaha, was just posting cause they're fast as fuck and mean. i suspect people who dig p/v would dig them

:baton:

people who dig west coast 80s hc pank will also dig em. \m/ 0X good band, backed hard. nz's RKL imo.
Beredius wrote:What does DSW mean?

wassup rockers

Postby wassup rockers » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:07 pm

hahah yeah well it's old skoool styles hard but still fucking fast and crazy

Kerry

Postby Kerry » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:21 pm

Das Raven (RIP)
Rob wrote:you are down a dead end street with no hope of every doing anything

buttertoastftw

Postby buttertoastftw » Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:08 pm

Woah thanks for all the recommendations guys!

Haven't listened to everything mentioned yet but so far Drug Problem are the shit! Lovin' that slight black metal sound.

Also, what up with the art on that Foe demo?

[Tim]

Postby [Tim] » Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:30 pm

buttertoastftw wrote:Also, what up with the art on that Foe demo?

Did it hurt your feelings or something?

donvito

Postby donvito » Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:42 pm

ruggabuggaboiz

ghetto ninja

Postby ghetto ninja » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:44 pm

Kerry wrote:Das Raven (RIP)

:( Hard.
Ghidrah
Martyrdamn wrote:Said 'hey baby gurl' to about seven girls tonight,
turns out girls don't like guys talking about getting up in their guts,
fagets, right.

Dan Last
Vibe Bringer

Postby Dan Last » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:36 pm

Ghidrah!

We weren't exactly a PV band, but did get compared with PV bands a few times.
http://elpasorecordsonline.com/shortlived/website.swf
I'm not a cool guy anymore.

FC
Orange Ska Dork

Postby FC » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:42 pm

I had forgotten how good Ghidrah are (since I only heard them when I wasn't into lots of good music) and didn't buy any of the CD's they rereleased. Is there anywhere online to get them? Couldn't find anything when I had a squiz the other day.

Dan Last
Vibe Bringer

Postby Dan Last » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:43 pm

Dunno, maybe Sean put them up? If they're not both online they SHOULD be.
Created from an atomic fireball hurled from outerspace...
I'm not a cool guy anymore.

ghetto ninja

Postby ghetto ninja » Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:37 pm

Yeah Ghidrahs Invinceable Delux is one of the best albums out of this country.
fagets, right.

Kerry

Postby Kerry » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:59 am

Keen to get hold of The Doctrine of Velocity and Invincible Deluxe... Who wants to sell me their copy/ies? :mrgreen:

ghetto ninja

Postby ghetto ninja » Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:07 pm

If I can find my actual copy of Invinceable Delux I'll give it to you for lending us your Gat head. Im not a stamp collector so dont care.
fagets, right.

No Way Out Records

Postby No Way Out Records » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:58 am

I may have a few of "The Doctrine..." left at home, I'll get back to you.

Gawj were pretty fast for a bunch of old wankers...

http://www.unitedblasphemy.com/Band_Pages/gawj.html

No Way Out Records

Postby No Way Out Records » Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:45 pm

I've got 2 copies of "Invincible Deluxe" left $10 plus $2 for postage.

Kerry

Postby Kerry » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:34 am

ghetto ninja wrote:If I can find my actual copy of Invinceable Delux I'll give it to you for lending us your Gat head. Im not a stamp collector so dont care.

Thanks for the thought man, but I'll buy one off Sean. Hold on to it!

No Way Out Records

Postby No Way Out Records » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:39 am

They be all gone, chur and chur!!

SupaScoopa

Postby SupaScoopa » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:25 am

Resurrecting an old topic....

What does Auckland have to offer in these areas these days eh?

Subcide

Postby Subcide » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:09 pm

ghetto ninja wrote:Yeah Ghidrahs Invinceable Delux is one of the best albums out of this country.

+1

If any one is interested, here is a Ghidrah interview I did with Greg Broadmore back in the late 90s...about 97 I think. It was supposed to go in to the original Subcide Zine #4 which never came out (A different Subcide #4 is coming out later this year):

Ghidrah interview

How does it feel, after being in shit loads of really good bands over the years, to finally be in one that appears to be receiving at least a small amount of local success and recognition? What is the musical history of the other guy's in GHIDRAH?

Feels pretty good but we're still waiting for the big time props and Accolades to start pouring, we've already bought a GHIDRAH trophies shelf. I've been in other bands that've received attention, mostly underground which is really best but GHIDRAH breaths fire so the critics had best choose their words carefully. And so far it's been good, but we're still waiting for some bitter loser to rag us, and then boom! The other two thirds of GHIDRAH are Christian Pearce and Brian Holloway and They've been in plenty of bands over the years, Brian was in 'World Cup Soccer' which made it into the charts back in 86. And Christian has a dubious past; I'll have to send you his file.

I've got a few questions regarding your other project NIHIL:
Exactly what is the current situation with NIHIL
?
Nihil is currently out of order.

In the February 1997 issue of REAL GROOVE magazine, the NIL CD was given a rather unfair scathing (0) rated review by a guy called Duane Zarakov. If you had the chance to say anything to him, What would it be?
That would be 'Hey pal, what's that on your tie?….' Pow!!! (Actually It'll be something far craftier cos he might read this)

Tell us about your debut CD “NIL”. How has it been received? The packaging for it is quite interesting. Tell us about that also. How did you go about putting it together?
The Nil Album got some good press, especially around Hamilton where I think it was really well received. The packaging was partly design, partly budget restraint. Its all hand prepared so each one is original and varies in appearance from the last.

I remember you telling me about a planned second CD / release called “Nihil 1(Nihilone)”. What can you tell me about that? What does/would the new NIHIL material sound like in comparison to “Nil”?
I doubt a second album Ghidrah is just full time, but the last unreleased Nihil stuff was just heaps heavier, slower, lower and bigger.

What is your opinion toward having NIHIL likened to GODFLESH?
It's a fair cop, I dig GODFLESH, it's not like anyone's going to mistake the two but they were an obvious influence.

Are you still mates with Jake Allibaster? If so do you know what’s been happening with COPROPHAGIA lately? Do they still eat their own / other peoples shit?
Coprophagia still exists, Mr. Allibaster comes round occasionally but I get my flat-mates to say I'm out.

Tell us all there is to know about your debut CD "INVINCIBLE DELUXE". Who released it? Overall, how well has it been received and how has it been selling?
Invincible Deluxe was released by Kafuey in Auckland which is our good friend Amber who's been central in our ascent from the gutter. It's a great album, listening to it now I hear it's flaws and shit but most of it is Carcharodontosaurus terrifying, step in front of a bulldozer dangerous. It's getting some good airplay, which is surprising, because one minute thirty of diving bombing stukas doesn't seem very radio friendly.

Which is better QUAKE or DUKE NUKEM 3D? Why? What do video games mean to you and GHIDRAH? Why did you buy a NINTENDO 64 when there's only about 4 games available for it?
QUUAKE really, being probably the best multi-player game available for the PC, but DUKE NUKEM 3D is a fun game, and quite cool in one player (which Quake suffers in). Video and Computer games are one of the hugest influences on GHIDRAH, especially on me and Christian (and on a less admitted level with Brian). I play a lot of Video games. They've been for a substantial part of my life my main focus. To me they're the greatest and most valid art form of this century and can only get bigger. I mean, no disrespect to music and painting (sound and image), the forms that I work in, I mean Ghidrah and comics and illustration are what I do but Video games are ultimate king. I have unlimited respect for the great creators of Video games, Shigeru Miyamoto, Peter Molyneux and all the great developers, people who I couldn’t begin to list. (And I have unlimited scorn for creators of shit formula garbage everywhere) These people are gods if a young art that is beyond all previous forms because of it's central attribute, player control, interactivity-whatever you want to call it. It's not linear like the other forms (however they are dolled up) and it does differ from other games, sport etc… In that it encompasses the other artistic forms, image, sound, movement and that it's goals are not always clear or constant. The Video-game is an open field and as great as the games that have been are, the possibilities are seemingly limitless I'm not really much good with words or you'd have an essay on your hands, sorry about that. N64 equals choice, the Pal versions can be shitty and the lack of games is just plain stupid but I still play Pilot Wings everyday. (It has more than 4 games, in Japan they're probably into the 20's or 30's). Games like Pilot Wings, Mario 64 and Waverace are just above and beyond any previous PC or Playstation games and the Analogue stick is awesome, it's crappy to go back to digital controllers after a while on the N64.

When you first told me about GHIDRAH, the band was called "Armor of God". When and why did the name change? Isn't there some kind of Jackie Chan connection to both names? Please elaborate?
The name changed quite early on, about the time of the first demo, which was called Ghidrah Vs Armor of God. There were a few names up in the air at the time, Armor of God, Invincible deluxe, Legendary Weapons and I didn't like A.O.G to much at the time just because it isn't an awesome Jackie Chan movie, part two is better but his awesome films didn’t make good band names (Project A, D.M.II , Dragons forever, Dragonlord…Hmm, wait a minute…). But there's no connection with J.C to Ghidorah.

In the past, I understand that there's been bouts of inter-band tension and as well as near brake up situations with GHIDRAH. Could you please elaborate a bit more on this? What is the current band situation as far as this sort of thing is concerned? Do you feel that tension within a band can inadvertently result in better creativity as far as it's musical out put goes?
Ghidorah is a band in constant states of falling apart, I think everyone has wanted to and come close to quitting this band dozens of times, It surprises me that were still going and still burning a trail of destruction. It must just be part of our make-up. Practices can vary on a daily basis between unplayable; no communication near breakdowns to (sometimes within practices) fucking exalted states of godlike destruction. I imagine other bands experience similar polar shifts but whether it's healthy for them I don’t know.

I Just read in the latest RIPITUP (at a local bookshop - No I don't buy it!) a review of the Auckland FUGAZI concert which had you guy's supporting. How did you get that support? What's your opinion of FUGAZI? Anything else you'd like to tell us about that gig? Still on the subject of RIPITUP, a few months back INVINCIBLE DELUXE got a rather good review within its pages. Has the publicity from that review had any kind of noticeable effect on GHIDRAH?
We just sent a Bio and CD to the promoters; there's probably just someone there who digs us. Fugazi are unquestionably an awesome band with a legendary lineage so I won't rant about them, but I thought their Auckland performance this time was pretty crappy. But you get that. I still think that it's strange in a way that I played a gig with someone from Minor Threat, that’s pretty astonishing. That review was cool I liked what they wrote and its nice to get your ego stroked by some one else instead of having to do it yourself all the time.

Also, as I write this question you will have just last night, played the Auckland support for the MELVINS. How did that go? Did the MELVINS not play one of the most inspiring kick ass gigs you've ever seen?
The Melvins had a huge sound, one of the most colossal sounding bands I've ever heard, they rate as one of the all time heaviest bands.

What do you have planed by way of future recordings? I remember you telling me about having something included on a compilation CD that's been released by the same person who did INVINCIBLE DELUXE. Please tell us about that? Still on the subject of recordings, before the CD you also released a demo. Please tell us all there is to know about that also? Is it still available?
A second album (which will hopefully have the word "RULZ" in the title) should be getting started over the next few months, hopefully for early next year. The CD compilation is called "all we have is difference" and is also out on Kafuey, its darn good, turn up the Ghidrah stuff cos we burn the houses down. The Demo is now history, a blank tape and a few bob to cover spacies and postage may secure a copy.

Other future plans? Last comments?
Play more spacies, draw Dinosaurs, bet on sports, drink beer, Play more spacies. Cha for the interview Chris.
'I Like It When You Die' is the fourth album by American grindcore band Anal Cunt. The album was originally titled You're Gay, and the album cover was going to contain a mirror, but this idea was later changed

bruce wayne

Postby bruce wayne » Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:21 pm

buttertoastftw wrote:Yeah, really digging the American powerviolence scene at the moment

powerviolence??? good grief and i thought powermetal sounded retarded enough

FC
Orange Ska Dork

Postby FC » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:44 pm

Return to “Music”