Record shops

Discussions about bands, songs, music genres and all those funny sounds we like so much
User avatar
Window Licker
Posts: 1693
Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:19 pm
Location: Cnr Hoddle and Johnston

Record shops

Postby Window Licker » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:35 pm

Hi Punkas
Wondering if any of you care to share which are your favourite record shops around NZ and the world, what makes you love them so much, what you think is key to great record shop, and shit like that?

i'll get the ball rolling with, ofcourse, missing link in Melbs http://missinglink.net.au/ which i love coz it's got good shit, and isn't too wanky.

and Hound Dogs Bop Shop in melbs too, which is rad coz its got an amazing collection of rare rockabilly, surf, blues, roots and other really fucking old shit, and nothing else. run by some old rockabilly dude who smokes and drinks beer, it's pretty amazing. dont think it has a website tho...
Image

User avatar
general
Posts: 3346
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2003 7:05 pm

Re: Record shops

Postby general » Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:36 pm

what's "roots"? you mean katchafire?

User avatar
norty
Posts: 630
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:25 am
Location: West side

Re: Record shops

Postby norty » Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:40 pm

Top 10 record shops

1. Crawlspace RIP
2. Headline records - Hollywood
3. All Ages Records - London
4. Missing Link Records - Melbin (although it wasnt as good as i remembered when i went few months ago).
5. Generation Records - New York
6. Amoeba Records - Berkley and Hollywood, what Real Groovy fails at
7. Rationale Records RIP - Ponsonby
8. No Way Out - when it was a shop
9. Corner Records RIP - Auckland
10. Blacker Dread - Brixton for reggae

User avatar
norty
Posts: 630
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:25 am
Location: West side

Re: Record shops

Postby norty » Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:44 pm

...and the key to a good record shop is having a cunt load of punk vinyl, zines and t shirts. It should also be covered in gig flyers and graffiti (a favourite was the Crawlspace Meatmen panel with autographs) to give it a mean "vibe"

User avatar
Dennis from Accounts
Posts: 7757
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2005 6:56 pm
Location: Third Floor, Accounts Department

Re: Record shops

Postby Dennis from Accounts » Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:48 pm

Image
Forums Member of the Year (28.3%)

I've seen the future brother, it is murder.

User avatar
Window Licker
Posts: 1693
Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:19 pm
Location: Cnr Hoddle and Johnston

Re: Record shops

Postby Window Licker » Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:55 pm

general wrote:what's "roots"? you mean katchafire?


yeah i mean katchafire.
Image

User avatar
Dennis from Accounts
Posts: 7757
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2005 6:56 pm
Location: Third Floor, Accounts Department

Re: Record shops

Postby Dennis from Accounts » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:09 pm

Window Licker wrote:
general wrote:what's "roots"? you mean katchafire?


yeah i mean katchafire.



thought you meant more

Image
Forums Member of the Year (28.3%)

I've seen the future brother, it is murder.

User avatar
Marrow
real poo particles
Posts: 3748
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:38 pm
Location: lost in the Warp
Contact:

Re: Record shops

Postby Marrow » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:10 pm

that needs to be a sig :lol:
Dead Kid wrote:Just leave your friends at home this time eh... Spelling-Mistake Chris, Hit On All The Moderators Chris, Anti-Social Chris, and I think that's when Make-Every-Thread-Twice-As-Long-As-It-Needs-To-Be Chris showed up. I'm telling you, you've got to sort your foruming out bro
PertHJ wrote:You can't drink your coffee and fuck it too

User avatar
stenchcore666
Posts: 722
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:43 pm
Location: Down For Whatever

Re: Record shops

Postby stenchcore666 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:30 pm

christchurch used to be fukin rad back in the day when i was the only vinyl freak spending up to 3 hours digging through the 7'' bins at real groovy.

penny lane in churchur is real awesome now. its like 6 times bigger than it was like 4/5 years ago
best finds:
"no sanctuary" by amebix for $12
"in the darkness there is no choice" by antisect for $15
also that rare as double LP "peace" compilation with bgk,gism,iconoclast and heaps of mean early anarcho/d-beat bands with full a4 booklet in perfect condition for $20

occasionally some mean black metal too but "welcome to hell" and "possessed" for $50 each... tell him hes dreamin'
also no tag "oi oi oi" for fucking heaps too, pretty much your retirement investment right there......

i need more hobbies..... :lol:

Kerry
Posts: 2872
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:43 pm
Location: Berlin

Re: Record shops

Postby Kerry » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:56 pm

Visited a really great punk record store in Seattle but totally forget the name... Dan do you remember? Dude was real friendly and had an awesome selection. Also Sonic Boom, Easy Street and Zion's Gate in Seattle were awesome.

Amoeba in Hollywood is fucking insane. You need a few days in that joint. I think I preferred the one on Haight St in San Francisco. But even that was massive.

Repressed Records in Sydney is pretty good.

I only really go to Real Groovy in NZ... Otherwise just buy stuff on the internets.
Rob wrote:you are down a dead end street with no hope of every doing anything

User avatar
clancy
Posts: 781
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:10 pm
Location: auckland

Postby clancy » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:14 pm

www.crimeandpunishment.co.nz is pretty good. It Has all the sweet recordz there.

User avatar
Dan Ashcroft
Posts: 2493
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2005 7:56 pm

Re: Record shops

Postby Dan Ashcroft » Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:39 pm

Kerry wrote:Visited a really great punk record store in Seattle but totally forget the name... Dan do you remember? Dude was real friendly and had an awesome selection.


It was Singles Going Steady. Kinda like if someone had rolled Crawlspace and Rational Records into one store.
Image

User avatar
[Tim]
Posts: 5051
Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2004 1:30 am

Re: Record shops

Postby [Tim] » Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:23 pm

stenchcore666 wrote:"in the darkness there is no choice" by antisect for $15
also that rare as double LP "peace" compilation with bgk,gism,iconoclast and heaps of mean early anarcho/d-beat bands with full a4 booklet in perfect condition for $20


FUKIN GUZZZ THEM BROE :angel:

User avatar
xSUSPECTx
argumentative cunt
Posts: 10959
Joined: Sat May 17, 2008 12:18 pm
Location: the straight edge

Re: Record shops

Postby xSUSPECTx » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:48 pm

i have an mp3 player lol

User avatar
stenchcore666
Posts: 722
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:43 pm
Location: Down For Whatever

Re: Record shops

Postby stenchcore666 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:16 pm

[Tim] wrote:FUKIN GUZZZ THEM BROE :angel:


welcome the the orgy 7"
:evil:

User avatar
[Tim]
Posts: 5051
Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2004 1:30 am

Re: Record shops

Postby [Tim] » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:22 pm

Image

User avatar
No Way Out Records
Posts: 6579
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2005 7:17 pm
Location: Trash Talking

Re: Record shops

Postby No Way Out Records » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:32 am

This is the best place to buy records in NZ without leaving your chair.....

http://shop.nowayout.co.nz/


just saying!

Kerry
Posts: 2872
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:43 pm
Location: Berlin

Re: Record shops

Postby Kerry » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:26 pm

Dan Ashcroft wrote:
Kerry wrote:Visited a really great punk record store in Seattle but totally forget the name... Dan do you remember? Dude was real friendly and had an awesome selection.


It was Singles Going Steady. Kinda like if someone had rolled Crawlspace and Rational Records into one store.


Yeah! That's it.
http://www.yelp.com/biz/singles-going-steady-seattle
Rob wrote:you are down a dead end street with no hope of every doing anything

User avatar
Rocky Rock Rockbottom
Posts: 793
Joined: Sat May 31, 2003 1:03 am
Location: Sapporo, Japan.

Re: Record shops

Postby Rocky Rock Rockbottom » Mon May 26, 2014 11:02 pm

about to bite the bullet and rent this tiny 3rd Floor space for another record shop:

Image


Image


Image


Image

bloody small but on the main drag and goddamn cheap 37,000 yen a month (NZ$420)

fuck knows what I do with that stupid looking sink

User avatar
No Way Out Records
Posts: 6579
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2005 7:17 pm
Location: Trash Talking

Re: Record shops

Postby No Way Out Records » Mon May 26, 2014 11:07 pm

awe man, good luck and I hope you do well, I'd love to do another Record store, so much unfinished business with NWO/Upsett. Jealous as, may be I can move over and live under the sink?

User avatar
Rocky Rock Rockbottom
Posts: 793
Joined: Sat May 31, 2003 1:03 am
Location: Sapporo, Japan.

Re: Record shops

Postby Rocky Rock Rockbottom » Mon May 26, 2014 11:36 pm

No Way Out Records wrote:may be I can move over and live under the sink?

Sure. If you want to sleep with me. That's where I'll be. You can try that little drawer though

"unfinished business"?, yep I certainly learnt a lot first time round eg its all very good and well having an awesome Japanese noise section but ya gotta stock the solids... the Led Zeps, the Stones etc... oh and dont trust (the now defunct) Lumberjack Records! they were cunts. all that metalcore unity nonsense, what a whopping arsecrock of shit. That was to be my big main order to set up the shop, - aboot $1,500 worht... and their own workers in their warehouse nicked the fuckin' lot!
https://spraguedawley.com

User avatar
No Way Out Records
Posts: 6579
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2005 7:17 pm
Location: Trash Talking

Re: Record shops

Postby No Way Out Records » Tue May 27, 2014 12:09 am

unfortunately too fat for the draw :(

old school punk
Posts: 783
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2003 7:12 pm
Location: invervegas

Re: Record shops

Postby old school punk » Wed May 28, 2014 10:47 pm

norty wrote:Top 10 record shops

1. Crawlspace RIP
2. Headline records - Hollywood
3. All Ages Records - London
4. Missing Link Records - Melbin (although it wasnt as good as i remembered when i went few months ago).
5. Generation Records - New York
6. Amoeba Records - Berkley and Hollywood, what Real Groovy fails at
7. Rationale Records RIP - Ponsonby
8. No Way Out - when it was a shop
9. Corner Records RIP - Auckland
10. Blacker Dread - Brixton for reggae



All age records ive got it marked down to visit in august
Any touring bands coming down south if you need flyers put up i can do it [free]

User avatar
Rocky Rock Rockbottom
Posts: 793
Joined: Sat May 31, 2003 1:03 am
Location: Sapporo, Japan.

Re: Record shops

Postby Rocky Rock Rockbottom » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:52 am

got cold feet in the end. Just not enough merit to warrant me sitting there when I can sit at home in me gruds and flog shit rent free on egay and discogs.
https://spraguedawley.com

User avatar
bermondsey_choir
Posts: 175
Joined: Tue May 25, 2010 5:35 pm
Location: Wembley

Re: Record shops

Postby bermondsey_choir » Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:23 pm

old school punk wrote:
norty wrote:Top 10 record shops

1. Crawlspace RIP
2. Headline records - Hollywood
3. All Ages Records - London
4. Missing Link Records - Melbin (although it wasnt as good as i remembered when i went few months ago).
5. Generation Records - New York
6. Amoeba Records - Berkley and Hollywood, what Real Groovy fails at
7. Rationale Records RIP - Ponsonby
8. No Way Out - when it was a shop
9. Corner Records RIP - Auckland
10. Blacker Dread - Brixton for reggae



All age records ive got it marked down to visit in august

While your in Camden, hit up the OiOi shop in Stables market if thats your thing. Also if you can get out to Kingston Banquet Records was all good. Then theres the ones on Berwick St

User avatar
daggers
Posts: 8617
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2005 9:54 pm
Location: beat it, valley jerk!

Re: Record shops

Postby daggers » Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:43 pm

Rocky Rock Rockbottom wrote:fuck knows what I do with that stupid looking sink


the customers can wash their hands before fondling the blardy records that they don't buy
https://www.discogs.com/user/daggers_NZ/collection
[img]http://iforce.co.nz/i/q3xbuiu4.mh3.png[/img]

User avatar
donvito
Posts: 1846
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:54 pm

Re: Record shops

Postby donvito » Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:42 am

I went to Uptown Record Store in Shanghai today. Was tight. Bought some mean sheeeit. And some buzzy looking chinese anarchist hardcore. 0X
Image

old school punk
Posts: 783
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2003 7:12 pm
Location: invervegas

Re: Record shops

Postby old school punk » Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:20 pm

bermondsey_choir wrote:
old school punk wrote:
norty wrote:Top 10 record shops

1. Crawlspace RIP
2. Headline records - Hollywood
3. All Ages Records - London
4. Missing Link Records - Melbin (although it wasnt as good as i remembered when i went few months ago).
5. Generation Records - New York
6. Amoeba Records - Berkley and Hollywood, what Real Groovy fails at
7. Rationale Records RIP - Ponsonby
8. No Way Out - when it was a shop
9. Corner Records RIP - Auckland
10. Blacker Dread - Brixton for reggae



All age records ive got it marked down to visit in august

While your in Camden, hit up the OiOi shop in Stables market if thats your thing. Also if you can get out to Kingston Banquet Records was all good. Then theres the ones on Berwick St



Went to the oi shop last time and spent too much and hopefully might make those other two
Any touring bands coming down south if you need flyers put up i can do it [free]

User avatar
Rocky Rock Rockbottom
Posts: 793
Joined: Sat May 31, 2003 1:03 am
Location: Sapporo, Japan.

Re: Record shops

Postby Rocky Rock Rockbottom » Wed May 27, 2015 1:38 pm

https://spraguedawley.com

User avatar
No Way Out Records
Posts: 6579
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2005 7:17 pm
Location: Trash Talking

Re: Record shops

Postby No Way Out Records » Wed May 27, 2015 2:30 pm

uugghh flying nun can fuck off


Return to “Music”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests