Guilty Pleasures

Discussions about bands, songs, music genres and all those funny sounds we like so much
9seconds

Re: Guilty Pleasures

Postby 9seconds » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:08 pm

i also like Fortress, i play it when im drunk to provoke people, im not really ashamed of that tho.

love this song, im embarrassed, but when i was 13 i had a very good friend and this was her favourite song, we stopped hanging out when she started going out with a guy who instantly had a problem with me hanging out with her, couple years later she was murdered by another piece of shit boyfriend, a member of the nomads, so this song makes me think of her and be all sad.

this i love for all the reasons its embarrassing

this is just amazing

this is embarrassing, but i dont care.

i suppose cyndi lauper and michael jackson fit into this category too.

i also really like talking heads
"Look how happy he is"

9seconds

Postby 9seconds » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:11 pm

oh and this, i got stuck for ages on the mission that this plays on far cry 3, i was coming in the opposite direction youre supposed to and made it 10 times harder and was really stoned, so i heard this song on loop for fucking hours until i started to like it, now i play it when drunk and people think im a fucking idiot
"Look how happy he is"

dustbinflowers

Postby dustbinflowers » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:39 pm

From growing up in Darwin in the late 80's-early 90s, I have an affection for Aussie pub rock. Really, no one does it better.
Uncinia vector

dustbinflowers

Postby dustbinflowers » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:15 pm

Uncinia vector

akaxo

Postby akaxo » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:47 pm

does rose tattoo count as aussie pub rock? their self-titled album is one of my most listened to albums.

pet shop boys, tears for fears and a-ha could all count as guilty pleasures of mine if they weren't so damn good.
We must secure the extinction of all people and no future for any children

dustbinflowers

Postby dustbinflowers » Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:34 am

It sure does.
Yeah, all the 80s awesome :)
Uncinia vector

dave-brown

Postby dave-brown » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:15 am

dustbinflowers wrote:From growing up in Darwin in the late 80's-early 90s, I have an affection for Aussie pub rock. Really, no one does it better.

Dude. Aussie pubrock is actually mind blowingly awesome. This is the wrong thread for this. Since moving to aussie my record collection looks more and more like a 45 year old aussie bogans. No guilt to this pleasure.
Once i heard Lobby Loyd and the Coloured Balls, sat down and listened to the Angels, rose tattoo properly i kind of lost my shit. Even once you analyse Midnight oils lyrics and Cold chisel you realise its fuckin blue collared genius. The new No Class l.p definately ripped off a lot of riffs from this kinda shit.

Rose tattoo rapidly became my favourite...never watch them live though. Angry Anderson goes on xenophobic rants between songs and it will ruin them for you, he is a sad twisted little midget. (Who makes mean music)

Drax

Postby Drax » Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:47 pm

dave-brown wrote:Lol naughty naughty. If you're into that, you might like this band from Adelaide. It's a shame about the lyrical content, theyre really good.

Whoa, that band has a pretty weird sound. Was expecting something way more RAC-sounding (like thuggish rock n roll).

dave-brown

Postby dave-brown » Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:17 pm

Yeah its almost got a 77 feel. Its fun. My mate is writing a book on aussie punk from 70s -2000. He interviewed those guys. Aparantly they only did nazi stuff cos the rightwingscene was big in adelaide at the time. I somehow find that even worse lol.

dave-brown

Postby dave-brown » Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:21 pm

White Noise from perth have a way more thuggish Oi sound. But you didnt hear it from me

dustbinflowers

Postby dustbinflowers » Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:57 pm

dave-brown wrote:Dude. Aussie pubrock is actually mind blowingly awesome. This is the wrong thread for this. Since moving to aussie my record collection looks more and more like a 45 year old aussie bogans. No guilt to this pleasure.

True, no guilt, and true, it needs it's own thread.

Rose Tattoo were spoiled fir me by the angry midget turning up everywhere on Australian tv being cringeful like a dodgy uncle at Christmas. Music was great though.

The Angels live were bloody amazing. As were Beasts of Bourbon and the Cruel Sea (prob my fave Oz band along with TISM). One of the best things I have ever seen live though was Yothu Yindi doing a cover of Run to the Hills in the Yolngu language. But yeah, needs it's own thread!
Uncinia vector

bruce wayne

Postby bruce wayne » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:08 am

dclxvi wrote:how the fuck is that a guilty pleasure? their self titled record is one of the best debut albums ever released.

(yes, i know it is/was technically called cop killer, but none of you cunts actually own a copy of that, do you? thought not.)

don't know about the whole album as I've never heard it all the way through, but this songs pretty awful

dustbinflowers

Postby dustbinflowers » Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:16 pm

A little known claim to fame of mine is that after Bodycount was banned from being broadcast nationally on Australian airwaves, me and a friend played the entire album on our Friday night show on Darwin's uni station, and were banned forever.

8)
Uncinia vector

Max

Postby Max » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:03 pm

Were Body Count banned under anti-bollocks legislation?

9seconds

Postby 9seconds » Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:26 pm

that song is half the reason i never got into hard drugs, cheesy or not, i heard it when i was young and impressionable
"Look how happy he is"

Dead Kid

Postby Dead Kid » Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:31 am

Always loved the Daphne & Celeste album. It's anything but monotonous given the songs are all themed: cheerleader/pop/weeaboo/Halloween/showbiz/country/rock/dance etc. and the joke love song below. Also holy shit they came back with a new one this year. Only recently discovered they'd done a comeback single in 2015.

It'd be silly if I thought of my favourite ever song as a guilty pleasure, but yeah, it probably is:

This is a bit of a favourite too:

General Mutante wrote:"So you think you're floating in mint sauce son"

Return to “Music”