Bass DI (*sigh*)

Wank on about your rig and how grand it sounds or just ask for advice on gear.
dclxvi
Location: pissy shitty bloddy period rape shit cum food stains

Bass DI (*sigh*)

Postby dclxvi » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:35 am

Anyone using an MXR M80 or SansAmp Bass Driver with a fuzz or distortion before it for the purposes of live DI?? I can't stand DI'd bass but I'm sure there'll come a time when a mic'd cab is absolutely not an option.... As a general rule I fucking hate DI'd bass but I may have to compromise from time to time... At least I'd like to have something with a bit of flexibility and control... any advice (aside from Line 6 plugs, ololololo) appreciated, thanks.
Kerry wrote:Then at an old age, the neighbour's dog thought it would be crakup to maul him and he died so we chucked him up in the ground.

Cosmo Kramer wrote:i have full qualifications (john grisham novels 1-10) and i am yet to sit the bar exam but i know i will pass

imperiumdiabolus

Re: Bass DI (*sigh*)

Postby imperiumdiabolus » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:35 am

non negotiable.if the cunts dont have a spare mic just chuck your vocal mic in front of the bass rig and yell into it,nathan ballard style.

Cosmo Kramer

Postby Cosmo Kramer » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:25 am

dclxvi wrote:Anyone using an MXR M80 or SansAmp Bass Driver with a fuzz or distortion before it for the purposes of live DI?? I can't stand DI'd bass but I'm sure there'll come a time when a mic'd cab is absolutely not an option.... As a general rule I fucking hate DI'd bass but I may have to compromise from time to time... At least I'd like to have something with a bit of flexibility and control... any advice (aside from Line 6 plugs, ololololo) appreciated, thanks.

you sound like Tim, im sure Tim will have something to say...

or Nat....

....Or XcaptianX

:baton:
Kramer Murphy and Associates

xCaptainx
Stay Cold

Postby xCaptainx » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:36 am

I know absolutely nothing about bass sorry Cosmo.

I'm presuming this is for euro? does it need to be battery operated?

Cosmo Kramer

Postby Cosmo Kramer » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:39 am

xCaptainx wrote:I know absolutely nothing about bass sorry Cosmo.

that was a joke :lol:

of course you know nothing :baton:

timi

Postby timi » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:01 pm

I realized a while back that unless I'm in the headlining band I really can't demand a mic on my amp, so I needed to find the best way to get that kind of tone with a DI. Seems silly to do all this when I can shove an sm57 in front of the cab and get the exact sound I want...

I use: Bass > Tuner > Overdrive > Signal splitter.

One split goes to my amp, the other split goes to a Tech21 Leeds into a DI. I'm getting my drive from the overdrive, the Leeds is just a clean amp/cab sim. So far this is the closet I can get to miking my cab. Ideally I wouldn't use it for recording but it's been fine live.

Not a fan of the Bass Driver DI, too scoopy. You can pull back on the blend but then you lose the speaker sim on the clean so you still get fizz.

VT Bass is good, but the Leeds has a similar but less harsh and clangy tone. I've heard the Oxford (Orange style) is good too. Still need a DI box with these, ideally something good (Radial/Countryman) but the shitty Behringer at the venue is fine since at least one thing in the setup will suck (actual PA, PA tuning/setup or the arrogant fuck behind the desk).

Haven't tried an MXR M80 in years but from memory it's not a cab sim so it will sound fizzy.

dclxvi

Postby dclxvi » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:15 pm

xCaptainx wrote:I know absolutely nothing about bass sorry Cosmo.

Yeah... preferably both, just for the flexibility, although I'm probably gonna suss one of those Godlyke power supplies and daisychain my shit up... After noticing how bad shit like delays rape 9v batteries, I think it's just become a necessity. That said I'm sure both of these have a phantom power switch so that's not really a huge issue in regard to the DI itself.

ps. I love going back on everything I said years ago, it's krackupz, ololo
pps. I won't go back on anything I said about Line 6 though :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Kerry wrote:Then at an old age, the neighbour's dog thought it would be crakup to maul him and he died so we chucked him up in the ground.

Cosmo Kramer wrote:i have full qualifications (john grisham novels 1-10) and i am yet to sit the bar exam but i know i will pass

xCaptainx
Stay Cold

Postby xCaptainx » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:05 pm

If you have some extra cash, you should look into the modtone power supplies. They look like a carbon copy of the voodoo pedal power 2, but its dual voltage so you can just flick a switch and chuck a different jug chord onto it. Would be handy to have that mounted underneath a pedaltrain.

p.s haha yeah I've been looking back at the embarrassing stuff I used to say/still say
p.p.s I'll probably have gone through 15 different setups in 3 years, so who knows what I will say about line 6 then haha.

toothbrush

Postby toothbrush » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:06 pm

off topic a bit, on delays and batteries: I use a daisy chain set up for my stuff because i noticed when i got the boss delay that not all 9v batteries are the same size. Some are slightly fatter which meant that I couldn't push the pedal down properly because some fat ones restricted the full movement. And then i got a bunch of stuff that you can't use with batteries.

Cosmo Kramer

Postby Cosmo Kramer » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:47 pm

xCaptainx wrote:If you have some extra cash, you should look into the modtone power supplies. They look like a carbon copy of the voodoo pedal power 2, but its dual voltage so you can just flick a switch and chuck a different jug chord onto it. Would be handy to have that mounted underneath a pedaltrain.

p.s haha yeah I've been looking back at the embarrassing stuff I used to say/still say
p.p.s I'll probably have gone through 15 different setups in 3 years, so who knows what I will say about line 6 then haha.

im a little concerned about someone who has gone through 15 setups and there sound is still :baton:

oh no i diiiiiiiidnt !!

:baton:
Last edited by Cosmo Kramer on Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

xCaptainx
Stay Cold

Postby xCaptainx » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:49 pm

I didn't see you front row and centre in Wellington. Reserve judgement :baton:

dclxvi

Postby dclxvi » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:01 pm

I'm gonna hazard a guess and suggest that tone nerdz typically aren't your 'front row and center' types :baton: :baton: :baton:

Timi thanks for your advice. I'll look into it a bit further over the next day or so, I'm basically looking for a quick, easy worst case scenario type fix which I might have a proper use for later on down the line - I'm liking what I've read about the MXR M80, I tried a Sansamp many moons ago and couldn't see for the life of me why they were so hyped. I like the idea of using it as a pre just for tone shaping capabilities, and I've heard good things about that aspect of them... The only prob is finding actual opinions about running a fuzz into one and how it's gonna come out - I'm using a Fuzz War which is more of a gnarly square wave-ish fuzz than the squishy fizz of a Big Muff or any equivalent so it might actually just be a case of buying one and testing it on my own shit

Cosmo Kramer

Postby Cosmo Kramer » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:03 pm

xCaptainx wrote:I didn't see you front row and centre in Wellington. Reserve judgement :baton:

no but i did catch you at MTE show you had in well !! :baton:

Cosmo Kramer

Postby Cosmo Kramer » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:05 pm

dclxvi wrote:I'm gonna hazard a guess and suggest that tone nerdz typically aren't your 'front row and center' types :baton: :baton: :baton:

:baton: :baton: :baton:

dclxvi wrote:Timi thanks for your advice. I'll look into it a bit further over the next day or so, I'm basically looking for a quick, easy worst case scenario type fix which I might have a proper use for later on down the line - I'm liking what I've read about the MXR M80, I tried a Sansamp many moons ago and couldn't see for the life of me why they were so hyped. I like the idea of using it as a pre just for tone shaping capabilities, and I've heard good things about that aspect of them... The only prob is finding actual opinions about running a fuzz into one and how it's gonna come out - I'm using a Fuzz War which is more of a gnarly square wave-ish fuzz than the squishy fizz of a Big Muff or any equivalent so it might actually just be a case of buying one and testing it on my own shit

hit tim up some more g

he got extensive knowledge about pedals and things to insert up your butt :baton:

timi

Postby timi » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:11 pm

I've used my Fuzz War (and my nasty Fuzz Face clone) into the Leeds and it was fine. Would have no hesitation about using that live.

Those $300 power supplies are stupid (unless you need multi voltage or have picky pedals that need to be isolated). The same people buying them probably use rackmount tuners. $50 Godlyke for the win.

Cosmo Kramer

Postby Cosmo Kramer » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:18 pm

timi wrote:Those $300 power supplies are stupid (unless you need multi voltage or have picky pedals that need to be isolated). The same people buying them probably use rackmount tuners. $50 Godlyke for the win.

ololol hey Ross didnt you have one of those :baton:

xCaptainx
Stay Cold

Postby xCaptainx » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:24 pm

I had a pedal power 2 and a pedaltrain 2. Was great as I used the aux output of the pedal power to power my AC wireless unit as well. Everything was neat and tidy and all the leads/wires/patch cables were hidden away from view. Pretty sure I have a picture of that setup somewhere.

Cosmo Kramer

Postby Cosmo Kramer » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:41 pm

xCaptainx wrote:I had a pedal power 2 and a pedaltrain 2. Was great as I used the aux output of the pedal power to power my AC wireless unit as well. Everything was neat and tidy and all the leads/wires/patch cables were hidden away from view. Pretty sure I have a picture of that setup somewhere.

what has being neat and tidy got to do with the price of fish?

xCaptainx
Stay Cold

Postby xCaptainx » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:45 pm

well it was great for touring. Everything was isolated and silent and I had one jug chord to deal with which powered everything.

Godlykes are great and cheap, but I tried a daisy chain setup a few weeks ago and had heaps of noise throughout the setup.

xCaptainx
Stay Cold

Postby xCaptainx » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:46 pm

Also I'm pretty sure with the pedal power and the modtone version you can have variable voltage, in case you have a certain pedal which sounds awesome with a weak battery, or lower voltage etc.

Cosmo Kramer

Postby Cosmo Kramer » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:54 pm

xCaptainx wrote:well it was great for touring. Everything was isolated and silent and I had one jug chord to deal with which powered everything.

Godlykes are great and cheap, but I tried a daisy chain setup a few weeks ago and had heaps of noise throughout the setup.

i thoguht you just have a HD500 now for everything?

xCaptainx
Stay Cold

Postby xCaptainx » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:00 pm

I do. This was beforehand. I was running a pedaltrain 2 with a JTS wireless, modtone vintage wah, modtone dynodrive, modtone analogue delay, korg pitchblack tuner and boss ns-2 noise gate.

Cosmo Kramer

Postby Cosmo Kramer » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:09 pm

xCaptainx wrote:I do. This was beforehand. I was running a pedaltrain 2 with a JTS wireless, modtone vintage wah, modtone dynodrive, modtone analogue delay, korg pitchblack tuner and boss ns-2 noise gate.

ok - well im sure others can reply i have never had either...just wondering why

i only have 2 pedals and use batteries :baton:

Berry

Postby Berry » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:01 pm

Couldn't you just get a Red Box DI (or similar) and take the signal from your speaker out? You'll just need to pack 2 speaker cables. Correct me if i'm wrong? I'm about to get one since my bass head doesn't have a DI out. And my tone is usually poo's direct from my pedalboard, I use mostly amp distortion.

dclxvi

Postby dclxvi » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:24 pm

Sussed a s/h M80 this arvo. Will give it a burl this weekend, if I don't like it I might just flick it.

I'll look into the Red Box thing too. Thanks Matt

toothbrush

Postby toothbrush » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:46 pm

Berry wrote:Couldn't you just get a Red Box DI (or similar) and take the signal from your speaker out? You'll just need to pack 2 speaker cables. Correct me if i'm wrong? I'm about to get one since my bass head doesn't have a DI out. And my tone is usually poo's direct from my pedalboard, I use mostly amp distortion.

Forgot about that trick.

yossarian

Postby yossarian » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:04 am

DI's are for gays, correct signal chain for bass is Ibanez soundgear -> Metalzone -> mackie desk -> 2 x powered plastic 12"+horn

Cosmo Kramer

Postby Cosmo Kramer » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:01 am

yossarian wrote:DI's are for gays

preciscley why we use them Image

timi

Postby timi » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:10 am

Berry wrote:Couldn't you just get a Red Box DI (or similar) and take the signal from your speaker out? You'll just need to pack 2 speaker cables. Correct me if i'm wrong? I'm about to get one since my bass head doesn't have a DI out. And my tone is usually poo's direct from my pedalboard, I use mostly amp distortion.

Never tried a Redbox, but that (or something similar) would be the best way of going if you're getting the gain from the amp provided it sounds good. My Radial JDIs have speaker sims but imo it sucks and still has heaps of top end (ie it's fizzy).

Berry

Postby Berry » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:55 am

Yeah, used a redbox before via speaker cable and it worked perfectly. Great live sound.

Return to “Gear Wank”