Home recording thread

Wank on about your rig and how grand it sounds or just ask for advice on gear.
Nathanael
Posts: 1161
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:26 pm

Home recording thread

Postby Nathanael » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:24 pm

I figure there are lots of people recording at home from 4 track to full blown protools rigs.
Please post tips, hints and tricks. Your set up. Favorite piece of kit. Home made pieces. Favorite plugins. Upload recordings. Wish list. Ask advice. Etc etc you get the drift.
General Mutante wrote:Every wristie is a performance as far as I'm concerned.


Image

User avatar
wassup rockers
Posts: 3250
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:56 am
Location: Auckland City

Re: Home recording thread

Postby wassup rockers » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:24 pm

fruity loops, usually using drum kit 3 and the piano roll with frequency mixer for different sounds. :)

User avatar
yossarian
Posts: 4648
Joined: Thu Sep 09, 2004 11:49 am
Location: I'VE SAID MY BEEF

Re: Home recording thread

Postby yossarian » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:44 am

I'm loving Reaper hardout. makes complex routing and mix tricks easy as fuck.
Best tip I ever got was Cardinal Points Pan Law - when you mix everything is either full left, full right, or center, no inbetween at all. Was pretty dubious at first but makes mixes unbelievably clear.

Mean as free plugins:

http://magnus.smartelectronix.com/
The Ambience reverb is amazing

and:

http://www.digitalfishphones.com/main.p ... &subItem=1

I use the Blockfish compressor on just about every vocal I record, and pretty regularly on bass too.

One other trick: if you want to make part of a song really fucking massive invert the pan on any reverb tracks. Shit sounds huge.

User avatar
Cosmo Kramer
Posts: 9886
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2004 3:27 pm
Location: LFH

Re: Home recording thread

Postby Cosmo Kramer » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:53 am

I have a question.


I used to use Nuendo (Steinburg/Cuebase) on a PC a few years ago. I really liked it. The Midi Drum Mapping or whatever its called (where you can edit your midi beats) was quite good to use.

After i switched to a mac and started using Logic 8, the middi mapping in that is horrible to use. (just a cluster fuck)

What am i doing wrong?

Anything i can do?
Image
Kramer Murphy and Associates

User avatar
Cosmo Kramer
Posts: 9886
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2004 3:27 pm
Location: LFH

Re: Home recording thread

Postby Cosmo Kramer » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:07 am

i cant believe i just asked a serious question on punkas
Image
Kramer Murphy and Associates

Nathanael
Posts: 1161
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:26 pm

Re: Home recording thread

Postby Nathanael » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:37 am

I have been told good things about reaper.

Logic 9 user here. And I love it. I always get 'why don't you just use protools?' Don't know why, never have and Logic works great for me.
Focusrite 56 interface which sounds great and having the mass of physical I/O is very useful when doing everything live.
Waves SSL are my most go to plugins. I'll end up putting the SSL channel on every track. Makes for quick mixing having a good eq and comp right there. Even if I don't adjust any parameters on some channels it just makes everything sit better. Same for the mixbus comp. It just sounds good sitting there doing fuck all compression.
Just got some Sonnox plugins and wow! I havnt even figured out exactly what some do but they
sound amazing.
Oh and if you don't have the Abbey Road brilliance pack I highly recommend it. Great for guitars lacking some spark.

Something that came up a while ago was monitors. I use these medium sized ported radio shack kit
speakers that I scored for a fiver and an old euro made Phillips amp I got for free. Had a friends krk's at home for a while and they are the most fatiguing speakers I have ever heard. So god damn boxy.
General Mutante wrote:Every wristie is a performance as far as I'm concerned.


Image

User avatar
Cosmo Kramer
Posts: 9886
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2004 3:27 pm
Location: LFH

Re: Home recording thread

Postby Cosmo Kramer » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:41 am

Nat - is the midi drum mapping or whatever its called the same in Logic 9 ?

I heard its different/better


what can you tell me about Midi Drum Mapping in Logic 8 ? did you like it? (even use it?)


wait this might explain it better

Image

is there anyway i can have THIS kind of view/edit in logic 8 ?
Image
Kramer Murphy and Associates

User avatar
yossarian
Posts: 4648
Joined: Thu Sep 09, 2004 11:49 am
Location: I'VE SAID MY BEEF

Re: Home recording thread

Postby yossarian » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:24 pm

Might have to have a play with the Abbey Road, looks pretty sweet!
Hear you on the KRKs, hated them since SAE like a decade ago. For some reason they turn up almost everywhere involved with tv production/broadcast. Been using some active phonics as monitors (I know, but even behringer occasionally makes something useful...) for the last few years without any problems at all. Flat enough, not tiring to listen to. What do you use for bass Nat? Being a bassist and all.

User avatar
toothbrush
Posts: 6996
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 5:17 pm

Re: Home recording thread

Postby toothbrush » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:31 pm

i want a 4 track

Nathanael
Posts: 1161
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:26 pm

Re: Home recording thread

Postby Nathanael » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:06 pm

Chris off the top of my head the logic edit screen incorporates both in one window. Instead of those bars for velocity you click and drag the midi note which will give you a number readout and the midi note will change colour. I don't use midi that often though so I could be wrong.

For bass at the moment it goes Rat 2 if needed, Acoustic 470 (sometimes split to the Sunn 1200s) then just line out to my interface. After that all it really needs is the SSL channel and sometimes an aux send to logics sub processor. Again having the SSL mixbus compressor on the master helps with the overall sound.
General Mutante wrote:Every wristie is a performance as far as I'm concerned.


Image

User avatar
Cosmo Kramer
Posts: 9886
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2004 3:27 pm
Location: LFH

Re: Home recording thread

Postby Cosmo Kramer » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:30 pm

Nathanael wrote:Chris off the top of my head the logic edit screen incorporates both in one window. Instead of those bars for velocity you click and drag the midi note which will give you a number readout and the midi note will change colour. I don't use midi that often though so I could be wrong.



yeah fair enough.

i just thought while im on punkas and there's this thread i will bring it up just in case someone had a better way
Image
Kramer Murphy and Associates

User avatar
FC
Orange Ska Dork
Posts: 20816
Joined: Mon May 09, 2005 4:37 pm
Location: Manchester
Contact:

Re: Home recording thread

Postby FC » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:48 pm

toothbrush wrote:i want a 4 track


I have an old tascam 4 track, just needs the fourth track realigned (records but sometimes wont re-record over the top or wipe that track).

offer?
PertHJ wrote:I disagree with Aidans divergence from ska music, but agree with his correct use of scientific terms


Ois II Men|Hatewanx|XfrankgrimesX

User avatar
toothbrush
Posts: 6996
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 5:17 pm

Re: Home recording thread

Postby toothbrush » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:20 pm

i'll have a think

User avatar
Martli
Formerly known as Jared.com
Posts: 3818
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 7:12 pm
Location: Hades

Re: Home recording thread

Postby Martli » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:17 pm

Logic 9 here too. Love it. Will post some more shit at a later date. Still a complete recording novice.
Cosmo Kramer wrote:key word being "probaber;y"

User avatar
buckton
Posts: 2392
Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2004 9:35 pm
Location: The Nightosphere

Re: Home recording thread

Postby buckton » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:07 pm

yossarian wrote:Might have to have a play with the Abbey Road, looks pretty sweet!
Hear you on the KRKs, hated them since SAE like a decade ago. For some reason they turn up almost everywhere involved with tv production/broadcast. Been using some active phonics as monitors (I know, but even behringer occasionally makes something useful...) for the last few years without any problems at all. Flat enough, not tiring to listen to. What do you use for bass Nat? Being a bassist and all.


were you at SAE in 2000?
ImageImageImage

User avatar
yossarian
Posts: 4648
Joined: Thu Sep 09, 2004 11:49 am
Location: I'VE SAID MY BEEF

Re: Home recording thread

Postby yossarian » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:47 am

2001.

Ps cheers for the info Nat

Nathanael
Posts: 1161
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:26 pm

Re: Home recording thread

Postby Nathanael » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:19 pm

I use to have a large room that sounded great and would run the bass amp through a yamaha full range pa speaker and mic that with an Oktava MK - 219 (LDC) as well as the line out. But I am now stuck with a cube of a room so there is no point putting a mic on a cab in there.
General Mutante wrote:Every wristie is a performance as far as I'm concerned.


Image

User avatar
yossarian
Posts: 4648
Joined: Thu Sep 09, 2004 11:49 am
Location: I'VE SAID MY BEEF

Re: Home recording thread

Postby yossarian » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:51 pm

Yeah, that's been my go for a while (LDC in a decent room), but always good to get new tricks.

Nathanael
Posts: 1161
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:26 pm

Re: Home recording thread

Postby Nathanael » Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:41 pm

I think some of the better sounding bass I have recorded was using both amps. Sunn just doing the low end and light compression from the amp, then the Acoustic taking care of the mids and highs + fuzz from the amp. Then just flipped the phase on one, and gave the sunn a hefty low pass and a low cut on the acoustic.
General Mutante wrote:Every wristie is a performance as far as I'm concerned.


Image

Nathanael
Posts: 1161
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:26 pm

Re: Home recording thread

Postby Nathanael » Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:43 pm

PS What the fuck is up with Gear Slutz? Its like 4chan with audio equipment.

Recommend some sites please.
General Mutante wrote:Every wristie is a performance as far as I'm concerned.


Image

User avatar
yossarian
Posts: 4648
Joined: Thu Sep 09, 2004 11:49 am
Location: I'VE SAID MY BEEF

Re: Home recording thread

Postby yossarian » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:24 pm

Oh man, never ever go to gearslutz on a full stomach.

http://repforums.prosoundweb.com/

is the place to be. Dudes like Bob Ohlson hanging out and sharing advice.
Pretty amazing resource.

Nathanael
Posts: 1161
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:26 pm

Re: Home recording thread

Postby Nathanael » Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:23 pm

Thanks for that. One of the first threads I find talks about 'that other forum' and members of rep getting banned haha. My 4chan comment now holds true.

Been thinking about getting a stereo/mixbus compressor for a while now. At the moment I'm fixing up other peoples mixes more and more. Looking at the Chameleon labs 7720 which is an SSL G series clone. Has a lower ratio setting than most and a sidechain input (very handy to what I'm doing) and I can order one for US$499 (AUS$474).

Opinions? Also I've never shipped from the US with something like this. Is it better to try source it here and pay a bit extra?
General Mutante wrote:Every wristie is a performance as far as I'm concerned.


Image

User avatar
moliere
Posts: 76
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2002 11:51 am
Location: Wellington
Contact:

Re: Home recording thread

Postby moliere » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:39 pm

Currently using a Reaper based setup (was Cubase a few years back). RME Fireface 800 and 2x Presonus D8 (8ch mic pres). Mix on JBL LSR4326p.

Don't have a great selection of mics, tend to borrow/hire if I need some nice kit, but got a bunch of cheap Audio Technica drum mics, a couple of 57s, a SM7b and 2 AKG C3000 (which work well as overheads and for the odd vocal).
The recording rig is racked (3U) so I can do 26 channel live recordings with a laptop easily using direct outs on the desk. Real solid live recording solution.

Plugins, I tend to go free/cheap (Stillwell Audio stuff and Schwa is awesome) as there's heaps of nice ones out there for very little money. Got a Sansamp GT2 and PSA-1 that I use for some interesting textures on drums sometimes.

Nathanael
Posts: 1161
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:26 pm

Re: Home recording thread

Postby Nathanael » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:14 pm

The RZA uses a PSA-1 on his drums.
General Mutante wrote:Every wristie is a performance as far as I'm concerned.


Image

User avatar
moliere
Posts: 76
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2002 11:51 am
Location: Wellington
Contact:

Re: Home recording thread

Postby moliere » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:36 am

It's quite tweakable, so I like it. Occasionally I'll use it for some extra layers of hi-gain guitars as well. For some strange reason it also sounds really good running into the input of my Sovtek Mig100, quite ballsy.

morepunkrockthanyou
Posts: 36
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:37 pm

Re: Home recording thread

Postby morepunkrockthanyou » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:22 pm

Nathanael wrote:I use to have a large room that sounded great and would run the bass amp through a yamaha full range pa speaker and mic that with an Oktava MK - 219 (LDC) as well as the line out. But I am now stuck with a cube of a room so there is no point putting a mic on a cab in there.



i thought that would be better so that you can utilize whatever verb / delay / room / spaceship effects you have embedded in the software?

my thoughts are what ever room you have make sure its as dead as possible (Blankets / Mattresses / all that crap) and then use the software to manipulate it - whats the point in having logic 9 or the latest cubase if your just tracking?

its not the 70's anymore - i mean yeah its cool to have a big room to jam in that verbs and sounds massive but from my experience all recording sessions are differnet even if you use the same mics etc, its having the software and the monitors & then the mastering skills & the vision of what you actually want it to sound like that matters - that is some worthy advice taken from punkas a while ago.

In short - small box of a room = fuck yeah

User avatar
Dick Dynamite
Posts: 9843
Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2004 5:13 pm
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Home recording thread

Postby Dick Dynamite » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:40 pm

Its not so much about the sound of the room as the way the amp sounds in a room - if you already have a sweet sound at gigs/practices and want to record that - then you need the right room.

Nathanael
Posts: 1161
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:26 pm

Re: Home recording thread

Postby Nathanael » Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:07 pm

Eh? A cube of a room is no good. Bottom end is useless. And why on earth would I want verb, delay, or 'spacey effects' on bass?

Actually I'm kinda baffled by a lot of your post.
General Mutante wrote:Every wristie is a performance as far as I'm concerned.


Image

Nathanael
Posts: 1161
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:26 pm

Re: Home recording thread

Postby Nathanael » Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:26 am

Ok I'm extremely bored on show number 234 of hairspray and will reply properly.

I don't use a large room for natural reverb. I use it coz the room sounds good. In my opinion a dead room is shithouse. Notice how you always see recording rooms with shiny wood floors or earth bricks or etc... Ps mattresses don't do anything but stink up your room.

I've never seen a plugin called 'shit room fixer upperer'
No software can fix that. Record a shit sound then all you are tweaking is a shit sound.

Why use Logic if I'm just tracking? What else should I use? Again I'm kinda stumped. I like using Logic coz it's clean for tracking, rewiring abelton is a breeze, has built in samplers if I need to add something via midi and I find it easy on the eye when I'm pulling long hours infront of a computer.

I'm still very stumped by alot of this. Of course each session is different. And of course having a vision of what you want it to sound like is important.

In short - I have no idea what you are on about. Why use logic if just tracking but then say it's important to have good software...
General Mutante wrote:Every wristie is a performance as far as I'm concerned.


Image

morepunkrockthanyou
Posts: 36
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:37 pm

Re: Home recording thread

Postby morepunkrockthanyou » Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:27 am

Nathanael wrote:No software can fix that. Record a shit sound then all you are tweaking is a shit sound.


All assuming we know how to mic things properly.


Return to “Gear Wank”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest