Recording Guitar - Mic tips

Wank on about your rig and how grand it sounds or just ask for advice on gear.
morepunkrockthanyou

Recording Guitar - Mic tips

Postby morepunkrockthanyou » Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:13 pm

Anyone got any tried and true mic tips for guitar recording?
I always have an issue with the amp sounding 'away from the mic' even when its close mic'd,

gear i need?
mic positions?
thoughts?

timi

Re: Recording Guitar - Mic tips

Postby timi » Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:51 pm

What guitar/pedals/amp/cab are you using?

What kind of sound are you going for?

What mics and mic preamps do you have?

What does the amp sound like in the room?

kettles

Postby kettles » Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:14 pm

morepunkrockthanyou wrote:Anyone got any tried and true mic tips for guitar recording?
I always have an issue with the amp sounding 'away from the mic' even when its close mic'd,

gear i need?
mic positions?
thoughts?

Well, an amp sounds a lot different recorded than it does to your ears. Mainly due to the fact that you don't play your guitar with your ear up against the speaker where the mic would be :P

Have someone else play the guitar, hold the mic in your hand, and listen through headphones. Move the mic around different spots and you'll start to hear the difference that a few inches can make. Would be good if you can put up a photo of your setup.

yossarian

Postby yossarian » Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:45 pm

There's no one tight way to do anything ever when recording, and anyone who says there is is either a lying cunt or a fucking idiot.

having said that - try aiming the mic more towards the centre of the cone as you'll get a brighter guitar sound, and higher frequencies sound closer to human ears.

Also think about what's around the amp. You might find it's the reflections off the floor / ceiling / walls that are making it sound distant. Move the amp around the room, shove makeshift baffles around it, and generally fuck around.

Oh, and just in case, make sure any amp or pedal reverb is turned down (that's depressingly common as the reason for the problem your describing).

yossarian

Postby yossarian » Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:46 pm

PS

"gear you need"

is a microphone, something to record to and your ears.

Anything else is wank.

jsilents

Postby jsilents » Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:04 pm

Last time I recorded at The Stomach we had my head running into 2 cabs with a 57 up close to each plus a condenser mic about 5 feet away from each. The cabs were side-by-side with no baffles in-between. This plus the fact I was able to turn my 200w Jansen up to 9 rather than it's usual 2-3 stage volume gave a pretty huge sound once a bit of blending was done in the mix. It sounded like it was finished even when we listened to the initial playback and needed practically no EQing during mixing/mastering. As everyone is and will tell you it's all about horses-for-courses but if you have lots of tracks to play with layering and overdubs something like this gives you a pretty huge sound if thats what you're after I did 2 rhythm plus 2 solo takes on a couple of songs giving up to 16 tracks of gats in the mix and it still sounds tight as long as you can nail your shit while over-dubbing.

morepunkrockthanyou

Postby morepunkrockthanyou » Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:17 pm

Sweet thanks
All good stuff especially the reverb tip

timi

Postby timi » Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:06 pm

So to touch on things others have said:

Put the mic through headphones and move it around to find the sweet spot. Aside from being in a totally isolated control room and having an assistant move the mic this is the best way to get good placement. The amp doesn't need to be too loud while you do this, but once you have your placement you might want to crank it a bit more.

Centre of the speaker is brighter, this can make it sound more "in your face" but often it's too bright/harsh. Try miking off axis, ie in the middle facing outwards and vice versa.

The room matters, less so when close miking but it still matters. Small untreated rooms have problems with low end so if that's your situation you will have to move the amp around to find a spot that sounds balanced. NEVER face the amp into a corner, the dips and peaks in the low end will probably be huge.

You will need to have the amp pretty loud in the room for a distant mic to sound full. Also keep in mind you can have phase issues when using two mics at different distances, listening through the headphones while moving the distant mic around will totally change the sound and you need to take time to find the sweet spot. A subtle amount of distant mic can help make the guitar sound bigger and more 3 dimensional, but not "closer". I don't think this is what you are going for.

Along with all that you could try two mics up close that sound different, using the headphone trick to make sure they are in phase and sound good together. Maybe the problem is that everything else in the mix is too far forward making the guitar seem distant?

You still haven't said what gear you have and what sound you are going for, but I assume it's something heavy. All your favorite records probably have more midrange and less gain on the guitar than you think.

morepunkrockthanyou

Postby morepunkrockthanyou » Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:30 pm

thanks yeah playing around with a couple of mics is also good

i dont have much, 2 large diaphram condensors, rode NT1a and a shure ksm27, i also have a beta 57 but dont like recording guitar with it cause too boxy sounding, (well too middy for my taste anyway) its more of a live mic, and various cardioids.

no this time its not for anything heavy

morepunkrockthanyou

Postby morepunkrockthanyou » Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:31 pm

and im not sure what sound im going for, ill keep playing until i find a sound that i like

Dick Dynamite

Postby Dick Dynamite » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:43 pm

Image + Image

kettles

Postby kettles » Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:42 pm

morepunkrockthanyou wrote:thanks yeah playing around with a couple of mics is also good

i dont have much, 2 large diaphram condensors, rode NT1a and a shure ksm27, i also have a beta 57 but dont like recording guitar with it cause too boxy sounding, (well too middy for my taste anyway) its more of a live mic, and various cardioids.

no this time its not for anything heavy

morepunkrockthanyou wrote:and im not sure what sound im going for, ill keep playing until i find a sound that i like

I think you need to figure out what sound you want first. It's the amp/guitar/player that makes the sound, not the mic. Mic choice and placement do play a role in the sound you'll get, but it's better to start with a good source sound. What kind of music is it? What guitar/amp are you using? What are you using to listen to your recordings?

morepunkrockthanyou

Postby morepunkrockthanyou » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:17 pm

maybe its the amp then, weird though its sounds awesome live.

i might try those guitar rig emulator things - that sucks im not a fan of software

timi

Postby timi » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:25 pm

Pretty hard to give proper advice without much info on what you are doing, can you post a clip?

cirE

Postby cirE » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:14 am

I LOVE HOW EVERYONE"S ASKING HIM WHAT HE"S USING BUT HE"S JUST NOT GiVING IN
Future Shock wrote:freudian slip, went downa likea sack o potatoes

0.21 6.78 3.31

kettles

Postby kettles » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:47 am

morepunkrockthanyou wrote:maybe its the amp then, weird though its sounds awesome live.

i might try those guitar rig emulator things - that sucks im not a fan of software

no, you just need to tell us what the fuck you're up to. troll.

Martli
Formerly known as Jared.com

Postby Martli » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:28 am

My guess = Peavy Rage.
Cosmo Kramer wrote:key word being "probaber;y"

morepunkrockthanyou

Postby morepunkrockthanyou » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:21 pm

THANKS IVE PLAYED AROUND AND GOT THE SOUND I LIKE

they are hard rock and reggae demoes, theyll be posted when theyre finished

fuck peavey rage i want a hiwatt spitfire and so should everyone.

cirE

Postby cirE » Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:31 am

you want a hiwatt spitfire but what are you actually using?

actually you know what fuck this troll

0.21 6.78 3.31

FC
Orange Ska Dork

Postby FC » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:28 am

What advice could you possibly offer anyway Eric. Fuck off.
PertHJ wrote:I disagree with Aidans divergence from ska music, but agree with his correct use of scientific terms

Ois II Men|Hatewanx|XfrankgrimesX

cirE

Postby cirE » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:34 am

;)

0.21 6.78 3.31

Dick Dynamite

Postby Dick Dynamite » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:54 pm

FC wrote:What advice could you possibly offer anyway Eric.

"MOAR FEEDBACK!"

Return to “Gear Wank”