Attn Tim, Yetti, anyone else who does recording...

Wank on about your rig and how grand it sounds or just ask for advice on gear.
Nathanael

Attn Tim, Yetti, anyone else who does recording...

Postby Nathanael » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:31 am

Looking at buying a new Interface as the one I was borrowing goes soon. Have money from touring and want to get something decent. 8 mic pre amps and multiple outputs XLR or TRS are the only things I really want, but could go without as many outs if the rest of the unit is nice.
Been eyeing up the Focusrite saffire pro 56, some motu items, and also this ART tube 8 mic pre interface.

Thoughts.
General Mutante wrote:Every wristie is a performance as far as I'm concerned.

yossarian

Re: Attn Tim, Yetti, anyone else who does recording...

Postby yossarian » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:59 am

Motu stuff is pretty solid, avoid presonus like the plague.

matt youwin

Postby matt youwin » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:31 am

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/ProFire2626.html
Good if you want to run pro tools, decent amount of I/Os, maybe not quite up to the standard of the Motu stuff though...

Bernie Galaxy

Postby Bernie Galaxy » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:22 am

I got a focusrite saffire pro 40. been solid so far. I really like it. was a little fiddly to work out first off but now I have it's awesome.

ghetto ninja

Postby ghetto ninja » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:32 pm

yossarian wrote:Motu stuff is pretty solid, avoid presonus like the plague.

Agreed, I had a Motu 828 which was great, whatever theyve replaced that with would be worth checking out.
HAI NAT
Martyrdamn wrote:Said 'hey baby gurl' to about seven girls tonight,
turns out girls don't like guys talking about getting up in their guts,
fagets, right.

Nathanael

Postby Nathanael » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:37 pm

HI EDDIE!

I have glanced at the m audio stuff, but it all seems a touch plastic. I wanna be able to cart the shit around in a flight case and have it not shit its pants. Motu and Focusrite look to be a head. I think its the Liquid pres in the Focusrite that im more interested in.

Green Bastard

Postby Green Bastard » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:57 pm

found this place that ships internationally and seems to be reasonably priced oi.
has a whole bunch of shit, also got an ebay shop which seemed slightly cheaper on some shit i looked at
http://www.uniquesquared.com/servlet/StoreFront

Bernie Galaxy

Postby Bernie Galaxy » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:08 pm

my Focusrite was $1400NZ from protel which is pretty decent. it's good you have a local warranty on stuff like this I guess.

THE YETTIE

Postby THE YETTIE » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:03 pm

have been hearing good things about the liquid pre's, not sure what your budget is
but i've always thought it best to purchase the best quality possible once then haveing to upgrade in the future. Check out the RME fireface 800 it's got four great quality pre's, excellent converters and more then enough inputs and outputs, the way the dollar is you can get them out of the states for not much over 2k, just a thought, you'd never need to upgrade then just get more pre's as you need them. And if you're looking at pre's the Golden age 73 is pretty much a neve and fairly cheap.
You may want to wait a while though usb3 wont be far away.
I AM THE YETTIE

timi

Postby timi » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:57 pm

Nathanael wrote:Looking at buying a new Interface as the one I was borrowing goes soon. Have money from touring and want to get something decent. 8 mic pre amps and multiple outputs XLR or TRS are the only things I really want, but could go without as many outs if the rest of the unit is nice.
Been eyeing up the Focusrite saffire pro 56, some motu items, and also this ART tube 8 mic pre interface.

Thoughts.

Played with the Focusrites briefly and they seem pretty good, been getting good reviews too. For the money these would be a good option. The 40 and 56 are pretty similar, but you can do more I/O (or higher sample rates) with ADAT on the 56.

The Liquid preamps are interesting but they aren't like the high end Focusrite Liquid stuff, they are just a digital emulation of a pre rather than switching real transformers and some actual components to better emulate the sound and actually interact with the mic like most real pres do.

Motu is known to be good too (never used any of there stuff personally). I wouldn't go with the ART. Never used one but most of their stuff isn't so good and I wouldn't get into tubes in this price range. Don't get suckered into tube preamps, good ones can be awesome for some things but preamps aren't like amps where you kinda need tubes.

yossarian wrote:Motu stuff is pretty solid, avoid presonus like the plague.

Yep Motu make good stuff (and there is an Australian distro), and yep most Presonus stuff isn't anything spectacular, you can do better for the money.

matt youwin wrote:http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/ProFire2626.html
Good if you want to run pro tools, decent amount of I/Os, maybe not quite up to the standard of the Motu stuff though...

I've heard those actually sound pretty good (for they money) and the Pro Tools (M Powered) option is there if you want it, but they are plasticy and I've heard about a few connectivity issues.

What's your budget and what DAW are you going to use?

Most interfaces with 8 inputs will have 8 outputs too, make sure they are balanced though. The outputs are handy for running separate channels into console (only worth it if you have a nice console), or to run outboard gear with. You will get latency running the outboard as a hardware insert which your recording program might be able to compensate for, or you might have to manually work out the delay and apply that to the other channels. Reverb should be fine a tiny bit latent if the verb is running 100% wet.

Keep in mind that you might want to put line level signal into some of the channels (from other pres or something else) and many of these interfaces still send their line level inputs through the pres, if they even take line inputs.

I would recommend getting something locally with a warranty. Interfaces are tricky and expensive to repair, usually it's just replacement boards.

timi

Postby timi » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:59 pm

RME stuff might be worth looking at too, or Apogee.

yossarian

Postby yossarian » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:10 pm

I just want to reiterate how awful Presonus is. I'm on my second firepod (importer replaced the first for free after it stopped working completely-they support the product better than the manufacturer). I've spent most of today trying to solve ongoing issues I've had with both of them losing sync and throwing spikes into the recording (the kind of thing you'd expect from latency or bitrate mismatch etc). After rechecking everything for the billionth time, I tried to contact Presonus tech support. They ask to be emailed cause it's more efficient, and then don't list the email address. There's a contact button, but it doesn't work.

Finally found a huge list of incompatible computer chipsets hidden away in a corner of the presonus user forums.
How about putting it in the manual, cunts? Cause what do you know, my firewire card's incompatible.

moliere

Postby moliere » Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:26 pm

Had heaps of problems with my Presonus Firestudio Project, and its replacement, a Presonus Firestudio 2626. The 2626 was much better, but still had the odd dropout on long (>40min) recordings. My replacement after that I can't rave enough about, but it doesn't fit your 8 preamp description and is also quite expensive (RME Fireface 800). Absolutely solid unit, doing 26 channel 3 hour recordings no sweat. Heard good things about the converters and pres in the M-audio Profire2626. My MOTU (pre-presonus) 2408mkII was pretty rock solid but I don't know much about their current kit.
Just make sure you check firewire chipset compatibility (if you're going firewire) of the unit and any video card compatibility issues (it happens) of the computer you'll be attaching it to.
I'd also recommend local if you can get a good deal, just because of the warranty.

Nathanael

Postby Nathanael » Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:13 pm

timi wrote:Played with the Focusrites briefly and they seem pretty good, been getting good reviews too. For the money these would be a good option. The 40 and 56 are pretty similar, but you can do more I/O (or higher sample rates) with ADAT on the 56.

Another reason why I like the 56

timi wrote:Motu is known to be good too (never used any of there stuff personally). I wouldn't go with the ART. Never used one but most of their stuff isn't so good and I wouldn't get into tubes in this price range. Don't get suckered into tube preamps, good ones can be awesome for some things but preamps aren't like amps where you kinda need tubes.

ART stuff isnt too bad. After a quick think Im not too interested in all valve pres. It was the heavily discounted price tag that got me.

timi wrote:
matt youwin wrote:http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/ProFire2626.html

I've heard those actually sound pretty good (for they money) and the Pro Tools (M Powered) option is there if you want it, but they are plasticy and I've heard about a few connectivity issues.

Im toying with something like the 2626 so I can then buy some other shit. Whats the pros and cons?

timi wrote:What's your budget and what DAW are you going to use?

Ill happily spend $1899 on the 56, but if I can get something for cheaper then thats great. Id rather buy something that will last than go for cheap.
Using Abelton Live 7 right now and very happy with the sound. Not as crisp as Logic etc but I like that about it. 20" Mac new one year ago.

kettles

Postby kettles » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:10 pm

bros,

What can you lot tell me about this? - MOTU 896HD
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=279441050

How much would that thing be new? I haven't been able to find NZ pricing anywhere. Is this the same thing as the 896mk3 - http://www.motu.com/products/motuaudio/896mk3/ ???!?!????!????

In a NUTSHELL I'm looking for something to record drums, 6+ mics. What is better - preamps built into the interface, or using a mixer for its preamps, connected to an interface without pre's, like the 828?

xTOMHOGANx

Postby xTOMHOGANx » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:25 pm

I use a Tascam US-1641 its not incredible, but its simple, cheap, solid and has worked pretty well for me so far. Little Dan has used it a couple of times to and I think he found it alright.

Review: http://forum.recordingreview.com/f50/tascam-us-1641-usb-2-0-audio-interface-review-5305/

I have mine in a rack case now and it doesn't take up too much room, and in 2 years nothings gone wrong so I give it my vote if price is a big issue.
Last edited by xTOMHOGANx on Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

timi

Postby timi » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:59 pm

kettles wrote:bros,

What can you lot tell me about this? - MOTU 896HD
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=279441050

How much would that thing be new? I haven't been able to find NZ pricing anywhere. Is this the same thing as the 896mk3 - http://www.motu.com/products/motuaudio/896mk3/ ???!?!????!????

In a NUTSHELL I'm looking for something to record drums, 6+ mics. What is better - preamps built into the interface, or using a mixer for its preamps, connected to an interface without pre's, like the 828?

I haven't used MOTU but it is known to be good so it's probably a safe bet. Only downside is that it won't work with Pro Tools, that may or may not be a problem for you.

Unless you have a specific way of recording using a lot of outboard you are probably better off using the preamps in the interface unless you have a really nice console. I can almost certainly say that the built in MOTU preamps would be WAY better than a Behringer or similar desk.

You will find that cheap preamps can sound ok when things are soloed, but start stacking lots of things in the mix recorded with cheap pres and things get blurry and messy compared to fancy pres.

I don't know how experienced you are at recording, but if you are new this stuff won't really matter until later when your skills improve. Either way it's going to be way easier to just get an interface with pres built in.

kettles

Postby kettles » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:54 pm

timi wrote:I haven't used MOTU but it is known to be good so it's probably a safe bet. Only downside is that it won't work with Pro Tools, that may or may not be a problem for you.

Unless you have a specific way of recording using a lot of outboard you are probably better off using the preamps in the interface unless you have a really nice console. I can almost certainly say that the built in MOTU preamps would be WAY better than a Behringer or similar desk.

You will find that cheap preamps can sound ok when things are soloed, but start stacking lots of things in the mix recorded with cheap pres and things get blurry and messy compared to fancy pres.

I don't know how experienced you are at recording, but if you are new this stuff won't really matter until later when your skills improve. Either way it's going to be way easier to just get an interface with pres built in.

I've dabbled for a few years. Want to start using more than two mics on drums, and vocals through an SM57 sounds shitter every time I do it, so it's time for some decent gear. Thank you kindly for your explanation of preamps.

What are some other interfaces with 8+ pre's that I should check out?

Who sells MOTU in NZ? Besides the Trade Me folk....

timi

Postby timi » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:47 am

While I don't usually use a 57 for vocals there is no reason why you can't make it sound really good. I'd use one over a cheap condenser any day. The pre interacts with the mic too, a 57 into a high end pre will sound way better than into a crappy pre.

Hit up Protel about the MOTU. DON'T go to Musicthingz. Other alternatives would be a Focusrite Saffire, Apogee Ensemble, Digidesign 003rack+ (if you want 8 pres). The Apogee would probably be the best sounding out of all of those, but only 4 pres and $$.

Nathanael

Postby Nathanael » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:50 pm

Just saw one at a pawn shop for $1100... Around $2G new I think.

Yes I know Neve is a great name, but anyone used one of these?

timi

Postby timi » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:05 pm

Never tried one but it's not one of the "classic Neves", although it was designed by Rupert Neve and probably has "that character" about it. It would at least be pretty damn good.

Have a look on gearslutz.com and see what people think, keeping in mind that lots of people on there won't like it because it doesn't sound like a 1073...

kettles

Postby kettles » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:01 pm

Yeah I know about musicthingz, he's a little fucker.

Protel don't have MOTU listed on their website. They're also more expensive than the Rockshop for the Focusrite Saffire Pro 40. $999 vs $1066 ex.GST, I think the guy said. Opinions on the Saffire 40? http://www.focusrite.com/products/audio_interfaces/saffire_pro_40

What do you usually use for vocals, on a budget? Singing I mean, not those ones where they shout into the microphone and you can't hear what they are saying, and the drums are going doogah doogah doogah

yossarian

Postby yossarian » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:45 pm

Just put a 58 into a peavey rage and crank the gain, then mic that with another 58 and run it into the built in mic input in your computer.

No offence Timi, but going to gearslutz for recording advice is like someone with a serious mental illness seeking help on punkas.

timi

Postby timi » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:24 pm

yossarian wrote:No offence Timi, but going to gearslutz for recording advice is like someone with a serious mental illness seeking help on punkas.

Nah man, if you wade through the crap there is heaps of useful recording and gear advice on that forum. Reading through some of the threads and seeing how people approach things is really interesting, as are the picture threads of mic'd up kits and cabs, it might give you some new ideas of things to try and that's the key, trying it for yourself. The shootouts of mics and pres are really interesting too.

yossarian

Postby yossarian » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:55 pm

I usually just give up after half an hour of 5 million idiots telling people who engineer professionally they are faggots for using gear they haven't heard of (ie stuff that's not from guitar centre).

Nathanael

Postby Nathanael » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:16 pm

I tried to read that forum once, and it made my brain hurt.

Maybe I should give it another shot.

timi

Postby timi » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:24 am

kettles wrote:What do you usually use for vocals, on a budget? Singing I mean, not those ones where they shout into the microphone and you can't hear what they are saying, and the drums are going doogah doogah doogah

Sorry missed this. My typical vocal mics are a Violet Amethyst, AKG C414, EV RE20, Sennheiser MD421 or some kind of ribbon mic. Just depends on what sound the band is going for. 99% of the time using API preamps.

On a budget I would check out a CAD M179. Pretty straight up multipattern condenser that sounds a lot more expensive than it is. Kinda 414ish, kinda. From what I have heard most of the other CAD mics aren't so good. Lots of people say the entry level Audio Technica LDCs are also good value for money but never used any myself.

ghetto ninja

Postby ghetto ninja » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:06 am

Rode NT3s arent bad for a condenser on the cheap side.
Martyrdamn wrote:Said 'hey baby gurl' to about seven girls tonight,
turns out girls don't like guys talking about getting up in their guts,
fagets, right.

yossarian

Postby yossarian » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:19 pm

I've always had sweet as results with Audio Technica 3035's.
Fuck all colouration, so they're not very forgiving, or to put it another way, they sound like what you stick into them.

kettles

Postby kettles » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:15 am

Bit out of my price range, but it shure looks cool. Been looking at the Rode NT1A and NT5 (x2)

Thoughts on these?

I can get them dirt cheap through Jansen, figured they'd be alright to get started, with some nice overheads and the other couply mics I have access to.

Return to “Gear Wank”