building a bass...

Wank on about your rig and how grand it sounds or just ask for advice on gear.
drunk and proud

building a bass...

Postby drunk and proud » Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:46 pm

starting a project slooooowly as I get cash.

Just bought an old Japanese P bass rip off body and bridge from trademe for a start...anyone got any suggestions where as to go from here?

I was thinking neck next then pickups? also, anyone know about setting necks/cheap places to get blanks/compatibility of fender necks with rip off brands???

basically I have no idea what im doing and I'm too cheap to buy a new bass WHOLE.

discussion is much appreciated!

Holiday Menthol.

Re: building a bass...

Postby Holiday Menthol. » Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:45 am

http://www.guitarparts.co.nz/cart/index.cfm

pretty sure it's cheaper to buy a bass though.
Prince of Cats - PunkAs Royalty.

yossarian wrote:widdily widdily widdily widdily widdily widdily woooooooooooooooooooo

drunk and proud

Postby drunk and proud » Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:06 pm

yeah I freuquently check in on guitarparts.co.nz, and could score a neck for just over 200 bucks. main thing I think I'm worried about is the compatibility of parts.

scored the body I got for 55 bucks, a steal I reckon, apart from the fact I know little about it...

Jared.com

Postby Jared.com » Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:45 pm

*double*
Last edited by Jared.com on Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dclxvi wrote:HAHAHA hey guess what?

that's never going to happen. things like scrumpy and cody's 12%ers always get in the way

Jared.com

Postby Jared.com » Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:47 pm

Cheaper to buy but more fun to build.

I had some issues with part compatibility with guitarparts, but nothing major. Guitar is a Japanese Les Paul copy and the parts were fitted for American Les Pauls. Japs tend to just do whatevs 'cos they can. Best to just ask someone who's in the know I reckon.
dclxvi wrote:HAHAHA hey guess what?

that's never going to happen. things like scrumpy and cody's 12%ers always get in the way

general

Postby general » Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:27 pm

i can recommend Dimarzio Dp122 p-bass pickups. they used to stock them at the rockshop for a reasonable price.

wiring: knowing little about electronics i found this helpful http://www.guitarnucleus.com/wiring.html. a passive p-bass electronic set up is simple - you'll need 2 x 250k pots (one for vol, one for tone), a jack, a 0.5mfd capacitor and some wire. about $60-70 all up from guitarparts.co.nz. Soldering iron $15 from dick smith plus $5 for some solder. wiring diagram is found on the fender website. can't go wrong. ensure you've grounded the circut so you don't get buzziness.

drunk and proud

Postby drunk and proud » Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:11 pm

general wrote:i can recommend Dimarzio Dp122 p-bass pickups. they used to stock them at the rockshop for a reasonable price.

wiring: knowing little about electronics i found this helpful http://www.guitarnucleus.com/wiring.html. a passive p-bass electronic set up is simple - you'll need 2 x 250k pots (one for vol, one for tone), a jack, a 0.5mfd capacitor and some wire. about $60-70 all up from guitarparts.co.nz. Soldering iron $15 from dick smith plus $5 for some solder. wiring diagram is found on the fender website. can't go wrong. ensure you've grounded the circut so you don't get buzziness.

chur.

just need to suss the neck issue and I'll be cranking!

timi

Postby timi » Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:11 am

You will probably spend lots building the bass, and then you might not like it, and it will have no resale value.

Not saying don't do it, just saying think it through. If you look around you can get a nice J or P copy for under $500, just go play a bunch of SX and Squire basses.

drunk and proud

Postby drunk and proud » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:44 pm

yeah I've got a squire that I've been thrashing for a while, I figure if I dont like the sucker I build more then I'll just swap the pick ups. my estimates got me around the 600 dollar mark at the moment which is cheap coz I had to pay so little for the peice of shit body I've got.

either way I get to do something with my time and end up with another bass to fill up an empty or not so empty corner in my house.

general

Postby general » Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:44 pm

you could pick up a new ibanez atk or an old 80s ibanez blazer if you prefer p-basses for less than $600 on trademe.

drunk and proud

Postby drunk and proud » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:08 pm

yeah I'm totally aware of whats out there for cheap, believe me...I'm more keen on fuckin' around with all the fiddly shit involved in building the sucker.

Return to “Gear Wank”