rusty pickups

Wank on about your rig and how grand it sounds or just ask for advice on gear.
nails

rusty pickups

Postby nails » Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:21 pm

I left my bass inthe car for a couple of hours in its case and the screws and a couple of the magnets on my pickups went rusy, is there any way I can fix it without ruining the pickups?

JJ dont front. wrote:shit cunt and fuck; the composite make up of your mothers life leading up to your birth = faggot.

dclxvi
Location: pissy shitty bloddy period rape shit cum food stains

Re: rusty pickups

Postby dclxvi » Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:46 am

just leave it bro. soon they'll sound real heaps distorted and you wont need your metalzone anymore
Kerry wrote:Then at an old age, the neighbour's dog thought it would be crakup to maul him and he died so we chucked him up in the ground.

Cosmo Kramer wrote:i have full qualifications (john grisham novels 1-10) and i am yet to sit the bar exam but i know i will pass

cirE

Postby cirE » Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:10 am

rusty pickups? that sounds soo dirrty 8)
Future Shock wrote:freudian slip, went downa likea sack o potatoes

0.21 6.78 3.31

ZPG

Postby ZPG » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:10 am

someone should give an actual answer. im guessing rust on a pickup doesnt make a difference but who knows. ive got a rusty seymore duncan that im thinking about swapping to another guitar...
ImageImage

timi

Postby timi » Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:12 pm

Have a search online, but I think you can use steel wool to get rid of the rust and then use clear nail polish so they don't rust up again.

It's just a visual thing, most guitars that have been well used for a few years will have rust on the pickup poles.

Holiday Menthol.

Postby Holiday Menthol. » Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:18 pm

bro dont be such a faggo.t
Prince of Cats - PunkAs Royalty.

yossarian wrote:widdily widdily widdily widdily widdily widdily woooooooooooooooooooo

timi

Postby timi » Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:52 pm

Bro I sucked a lot of dick to get the nailpolish I used on my guitar.

dclxvi
Location: pissy shitty bloddy period rape shit cum food stains

Postby dclxvi » Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:11 pm

ZPG wrote:someone should give an actual answer.

:cry: :cry:
Kerry wrote:Then at an old age, the neighbour's dog thought it would be crakup to maul him and he died so we chucked him up in the ground.

Cosmo Kramer wrote:i have full qualifications (john grisham novels 1-10) and i am yet to sit the bar exam but i know i will pass

slob

Postby slob » Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:29 am

timi wrote:Have a search online, but I think you can use steel wool to get rid of the rust and then use clear nail polish so they don't rust up again.

Except the steel wool fibres will stick to the magnets and be a pain to get off.

It's just a visual thing, most guitars that have been well used for a few years will have rust on the pickup poles.

Yep

slob

Postby slob » Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:36 am

PS you can get synthetic steel wool substitute pads (3m maybe?) which aren't magnetic and don't fall apart, get the right grade so you don't fuck your bobbins.

general

Postby general » Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:39 pm

slob wrote:fuck your bobbins.

nails

Postby nails » Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:44 pm

thanks for that appreciate it

JJ dont front. wrote:shit cunt and fuck; the composite make up of your mothers life leading up to your birth = faggot.

general

Postby general » Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:06 pm

my pleasure

GunforhirE

Postby GunforhirE » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:53 pm

go to the $2 store and get one of those packs of 3 toothbrush sized brushes, one is plastic bristles, one is shiny gold bristles and one is grey metal bristles.. this will clean the rust off your pick up.. steel wool ( polishing steel wool-not soap impregnated dish wahsers) is too fine to start with, you can finish with steel wool, but all the little bits that rub off the wool will automatically jump onto the pickup magnet points.. but to solve this, tear off a good sized bit of gaffer tape and just stick it down on your pick ups and the little particles will stick to your tape and be pulled off with the tape..
I think rust build up does effect the sound.. remember Rust is the effect of steel and such ,eating eaten away by moisture or something scientific like that so its not healthy for your pickup.. also when you clean it take it "CAREFULLY!" out the pickup surround and make sure all that sweat beer and crud and whatever else has not clogged up the inside..
whether or not the rust effects the direct magnetic pull on the string is fairly unlikely they say, but i did have a guitar with a band on tour in the states that had a 1 or 2 year old seymour duncan distortion absolutely covered in rust in the bridge positon and it sounded like balls.. it was flat, had not top end, had no definition or attack, i cleaned it up and i thought i did notice a difference in resonance and sustain and clarity, also on removing the pickup from the guitar (still wired in) i saw how much general shit had crept into the cavity and was covering the wiring and harness and chassis, a good light clean broguht all that off and stopped the rust and sugary beer residue eat any further into the wiring or pickup.
end note i replaced that Seymour pickup mid tour with the same model and the differnce was noticeable..
remember sugary liquids and salty sweat are your instruments worst enemy...pity thats pretty much what they live in most of the time..haha
good luck!
gav
-------------------------------------------------------
Guitar Tech and International Man of Mystery...
www.myspace.com/kiwiguitars

BRIARIUS

Postby BRIARIUS » Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:58 pm

The pick ups and the bridge on my bass are tarnished and rusty..
Adds character bro.
Sounds the same.
planut wrote:you guys wouldn't even know, I haven't slept with anyone as far as I'm concerned except for tom hogan.

mike

Postby mike » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:31 am

I used CRC on my guitar the other week seemed to work good removing it if you have rust it will affect the ability to pickup (thats obvious really) which will affect the sound majorly Im no expert maybe ask someone like Ross Xcaptainx as long as he dosent go on about how he likes queen you'll get a serious answer out of him

(((0)))

Postby (((0))) » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:47 pm

Interesting how the the screws and a couple of the magnets became rusty after just a couple of hours in it's case in the car
ImageImage

timi

Postby timi » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:33 pm

It's the wood sweating. Try a plastic case.

Phlegethon

Postby Phlegethon » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:58 pm

i reckon chuck some yoghurt on your pickups and put it in your bathroom, in a few weeks youll get a fuckin mean mossy groth on there

xCaptainx
Stay Cold

Postby xCaptainx » Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:15 pm

HAHA Thanks Mike :P

p.s GunforhirE is the expert/professional here, just listen to whatever he has advised.

p.s new Ramstein Signature model has a pretty interesting rust effect aka actual rust on the ESP logo

Return to “Gear Wank”