Jansen Liberator

Wank on about your rig and how grand it sounds or just ask for advice on gear.
Milky Pisswit

Jansen Liberator

Postby Milky Pisswit » Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:17 pm

Just scored one of these...

Anyone know anything about 'em?

Pretty sure it's a 180w guitar head, but wanna try it for bass through a 410 cab (400w/8o) or 115 cab (200w/8o) or both...

From what I can find on the interweb (which is sweet fuck all) they work OK bass heads, but I've never used a valve head so don't know if she'll explode or root my cabs.

Anyone???
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 600 character limit.

slaughter
C.U.N.T.

Re: Jansen Liberator

Postby slaughter » Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:19 pm

Sweet score!

As long as you match the ohms you will be sweet. People use lower rated Jansens as bass amps all the time.
ImageImageImageImageImage
dclxvi wrote:i recently bought myself a bottle of canadian club, now i have a hole in a door to fix, and a broken lock to replace

Milky Pisswit

Postby Milky Pisswit » Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:24 pm

Sweet, heard tubes are a little more forgiving on the impedence matching, but got a beast of an 8ohm cab that will match this nicely...

:D
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 600 character limit.

imperiumdiabolus

Postby imperiumdiabolus » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:23 am

looks like it has switchable ohms?tubes are less forgiving ohms-wise actually,you'll fry the output transformer if you don't match properly.there are safe mis-matches of course but i'd go with the safe option.running both cabs will be a 4 ohm load on the amp.

Milky Pisswit

Postby Milky Pisswit » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:18 pm

Yeah, switchable between 16 ohms and 8 ohms.

Think I'll play it safe and just match it with one 8 ohm cab.

Trying it out tonight :mrgreen:

slaughter
C.U.N.T.

Postby slaughter » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:33 pm

Milky Pisswit wrote:Sweet, heard tubes are a little more forgiving on the impedence matching, but got a beast of an 8ohm cab that will match this nicely...

:D

this made me go 8O
ImageImageImageImageImage
dclxvi wrote:i recently bought myself a bottle of canadian club, now i have a hole in a door to fix, and a broken lock to replace

Milky Pisswit

Postby Milky Pisswit » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:21 pm

Lol, I have no fucking idea what I'm talking about when it comes to amps, which is why I want to try and make sure I don't explode it...

Read this from Talkbass (trying to learn myself) and naturally assumed it was true, being on the interweb and all. Might have mis-interpreted or mis-communicated. I'm sure someone cares ;)

"Tube Amplifiers are a different animal, and many have switches to match the impedance of the cabinets to be connected to them. A given tube amp might be able to send a 400 watt signal to an 8 ohm, 4 ohm, or 2 ohm load, but the switch on the back must be set to the load being used. Generally it’s safe to be up to 100% off on the load hooked up to a tube amplifier from where it’s selected. For a tube amp set for a 4 ohm load that would mean that you could run it into anywhere from an 8 ohm load to a 2 ohm load and still be reasonably safe. The important difference between tube amps and solid state ones is that it’s dangerous to run tube amps above their impedance rating!! Running a tube amp set at 2 ohms into an 8 ohm load can dangerously raise the plate voltage of the amplifier and ruin it. Also, while most solid state amps will do ok with no speakers plugged into them (infinity ohms), tube amps need to have a load connected to them, or they will generally self destruct."

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=144244

snuff
Information Highway Patrol

Postby snuff » Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:19 pm

Used to play bass through one of those it was fuckin great.
I guess you really need to ask yourself... What Would Graeme Do?

Niandi

Postby Niandi » Thu May 07, 2009 11:03 am

Nice amp ....This is 200 watts and was made in the mid 70's. in the Jansen models the first number, 9 in this case, refers to the number of tubes....there were two models, the Dominator which was 100 watts and the Liberator. The difference being the number of output tubes....the Dominator only had two 6550's your has four. You may wish to check the second one from the left in the picture as this looks to be a different shape than the other three.....could just be another manufacturer. If in Auckland I can put you in touch with a couple of techs who could getting running to it's optimum.

Looks like it might be the same amp the was used by 'arry Ratbg of the Herco Pilots in '81-82 to play bass thru

xTOMHOGANx

Postby xTOMHOGANx » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:12 pm

Fucking cool.

Brundlefly

Postby Brundlefly » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:21 am

That amp looks so damn cool. Awesome score!

jsilents

Postby jsilents » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:17 pm

I have one of these with 6550s in it. I've removed two of them to bring it down to a slightly tamer 100w but it's made fuck all difference as far as I can tell. Currently run it through a marshall MF400w cab at 8ohms they fucking mean amps if you don't mind having to use distortion pedal this is first time I've seen another 200w model seen a couple 9-100s on trademe swapped mine for two fiddy bags in 2000 have had transformer re-wound and capacitors replaced but thats only work it's needed pretty much indestructable amps apart from components occationaly reaching the end of their natural life. Wouldn't swap mine for anything have used it for bass and guitar with equally impressive results. Are they kt88 tubes?

Nathanael

Postby Nathanael » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:25 pm

Yo you know halving the output value won't make your amp half as quiet. To double the output volume of an amp you need to multiply the output by 10.
The main thing I have noticed with a 50w over 100w amp is that the louder one has more top end and gain when the settings are matched.
General Mutante wrote:Every wristie is a performance as far as I'm concerned.

jsilents

Postby jsilents » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:26 pm

Yeah I knew that all It's really done is reduce the headroom a bit which makes virtually no difference with this amp coz I can't turn it up past 2 without drowning out PA/rest of band. Only time it gets cranked is when I'm recording and can have quads in separate room. Sounds incredible at high volume tho.

Return to “Gear Wank”