International Satellite Internet??

Random stuff about computers, freeware, coding, and all that...
Livestock

International Satellite Internet??

Postby Livestock » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:33 am

Whats up.

Hey so I gotta provide a quote to this Norwegian funding agency for some fast satellite based internet services
for image downloads.. Any ideas anyone? Anybody know anything about international satellite based ISP's?

We pretty much want some ~1/2MBPS dl speeds in a developing country (Guyana), where the quoted MONTHLY rate for data over T1 was 6000USD... a month.. for unlimited.. that's fucked.

Anybody..?

Dead Kid

Re: International Satellite Internet??

Postby Dead Kid » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:58 am

I'll open the bidding at $599/month for 1 Mbps:

http://www.wafa.ae/en/vsat/products/idi ... vices.aspx
"So you think you're floating in mint sauce son"

Livestock

Postby Livestock » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:29 am

Thanks bro, but no coverage over Guyana.

This is the only one I've found.
http://www.groundcontrol.com/Motorized_ ... e_Dish.htm

N.B. Looks like I'll need 4Mbps connection (hopefully 500kBps dl speeds..)

Anyone else heard of any other options..

Dead Kid

Postby Dead Kid » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:05 am

The orange part is covering most of Guyana, and then they have the AB2 map here which seems to do the job. Not sure how it affects speeds though. Their top table of plans have a sort of throttling for excess use (F.A.P. :tohlc:), whereas the one you linked only has contention plans (20:1 meaning you're sharing the connection you paid for with 19 other cunce). The latter looks a lot better if you plan on using 4Mbps constantly for hours at a time, but I dunno if it would hit the maximum speed very often.
"So you think you're floating in mint sauce son"

Livestock

Postby Livestock » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:45 am

Right I suspected that's what 'contention plan' meant.. Stinkbuzz. All I want is fast cheap internet in a developing country! haha.

Cheers for the helps there chief.

Red_switch

Postby Red_switch » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:39 am

Who are your imagery provision partners? Have you asked them for tips? Those types tend to be pretty good at this shit :wink:

It does look like satellite internet is a bit shitter in central/south america than it is through NZ/the pacific in terms of pricing and bandwidth...
I think it's lint.

Livestock

Postby Livestock » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:05 pm

Red_switch wrote:Who are your imagery provision partners? Have you asked them for tips? Those types tend to be pretty good at this shit :wink:

It does look like satellite internet is a bit shitter in central/south america than it is through NZ/the pacific in terms of pricing and bandwidth...

BlackBridge/RapidEye. And no they aren't because they all live in developed countries who complain about paying 50 bux a month for unlimited downloads at 1/2Mbps..
They don't know shit about the developing world.

:wink:

Marrow
real poo particles

Postby Marrow » Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:35 pm

Iridium have pretty good sat coverage everywhere, but mostly provided through third parties.
http://www.satconnections.co.nz/iridium.php#airtime
Wouldn't recommend for always-on connection, but for image downloads you could connect, download, and disconnect. They get pretty good speed with some of their kit.
Dead Kid wrote:Just leave your friends at home this time eh... Spelling-Mistake Chris, Hit On All The Moderators Chris, Anti-Social Chris, and I think that's when Make-Every-Thread-Twice-As-Long-As-It-Needs-To-Be Chris showed up. I'm telling you, you've got to sort your foruming out bro
PertHJ wrote:You can't drink your coffee and fuck it too

Red_switch

Postby Red_switch » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:39 pm

Livestock wrote:
Red_switch wrote:Who are your imagery provision partners? Have you asked them for tips? Those types tend to be pretty good at this shit :wink:

BlackBridge/RapidEye. And no they aren't because they all live in developed countries who complain about paying 50 bux a month for unlimited downloads at 1/2Mbps..
They don't know shit about the developing world.

:wink:

Yeah, ok, sorry, I was pretty sure that prior to getting a fibre link SvalSat (a pretty major part of RapidEyes ground segment) depended heavily on satellite internet connectivity... I guess my point was that ground stations tend to be pretty damn isolated, regardless of the economic status of the host country, so my experience is that the technicians involved are pretty good at coming up with these sorts of solutions and tend to have a wealth of knowledge, which they seem to enjoy nerding out and sharing.

What will you guys move to when the RapidEye constellation reaches end of life? Are BlackBridge gonna do a NASA and push out the operational life, or are they planning any other missions?

Iridium should definitely have you covered. Pivotel might be worth talking to about that, but their site seems to be down, as well as Wrights (who Marrow linked).
I think it's lint.

Livestock

Postby Livestock » Wed May 07, 2014 2:12 am

Thanks for the tips bro.

I've asked RE for some advice. RE launched in 2008.. 4 years in orbit and everything is running smoothly on all 5 satellites.
I think their constellation is good through to 2020..

Their problem is Sentinel just came online. RE only have 3 options as there's no real commercial future in image selling and re-selling.
1) Gonna have to drop their price per square km or
2) Push the red-edge band to it's full potential see what they can get out of that (unlikely) or
3) Look into value added product lines (immediate dl of a range vegetation indices or reflectance/radiance images)

Be interesting to see where they go.

Red_switch

Postby Red_switch » Wed May 07, 2014 7:45 am

It's awesome the rate at which new platforms/constellations are going up.

I think RE undersold their technology by physically limiting their spatial resolution. Their product is great for high level work, but for a lot of operational scenarios, it falls short. I've trialled it for a few projects, and we just can't achieve what we can with higher res products (GeoEye generally being preferred to date). We could always re-sample the product, which generally works fine, but people who don't get the maths just get freaked out (ZOMG, you can detect MORE detail than was captured?!! ... conspiracy, aliens, hollow earth etc.), and it takes valuable time at our end. Red-edge or not... But yeah, straight image provision isn't the future, there's got to be value added. At the same time, most analysts I know (myself included) are generally dubious of laying down cash for heavily processed products... I guess we are control freaks, so it's a quandry of sorts. Best thing they can do there is strategic alignment with the right people in the research field, who can push the boundaries of their product with little cost to them. The time and money just isn't there usually in the commercial world. I'd say that take up of RE imagery in the research world hasn't been huge from what I've seen.

Cool to hear they are expecting longer life, I guess the design life is usually going to be a minimum, but there are always concerns with commercial operators around funding horizons and shit. But when you see how long NASA have managed to keep ASTER and most of the Landsat vehicles limping along, it's obviously possible.

Keeping an eye on Sentinel, as well as Pleiades. Then there's PlanetLabs, those guys are nuts, and have the potential to turn shit upside down. Gonna go check out their Awarua ground station some time.
I think it's lint.

Return to “Geek Forum”