PS4 / XBox One

Random stuff about computers, freeware, coding, and all that...
buckton

Re: PS4 / Next Gen Consoles

Postby buckton » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:17 am

Yeah, Sony what am I gonna do with all my Atari Lynx cartrdges now?
ImageImageImage

aerozol

Postby aerozol » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:02 pm

That sure put me in my place, nice one!

My flatmate informs me that it might be that it detects a PS1/2/3 game in the drive and then will stream it for free but I'm skeptical
edit: If it does then I owe Sony a vigorous high-five

I am Sancho

Postby I am Sancho » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:26 pm

That worries me somewhat, there is the potential that you will have to pay for games you alredy own again in order to play them. Plus if the service is not up and running at time of launch (or fails at time of launch) where is the insentive to upgrade your console when there will a bunch of games you have been waiting for that you simply cannot play.

mmmm....good crack

Postby mmmm....good crack » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:27 pm

Could just play them on the console you already have since you own it and shit.

Dixon Cider A.C.

Postby Dixon Cider A.C. » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:57 pm

Haha. Might go get a big jerk off 50" this weekend or next. Time to start gaming properly again.

Fiction & Falsehood

Postby Fiction & Falsehood » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:23 pm

you cant game properly without an alienware computer
“There is something beautiful in seeing the poor accept their lot, to suffer it like Christ’s Passion. The world gains much from their suffering,” -Mother Theresa

snuff
Information Highway Patrol

Postby snuff » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:06 am

:lol: @ Dell

mmmm....good crack wrote:Could just play them on the console you already have since you own it and shit.

This exactly, Nintendo has got away with re-releasing their titles on their next gen systems for gens. Backwards compat is such a recent edition and one that's only ever happened on a couple systems I dunno why people get so pissy eh.

Sucks about your fullas interwebs though cos the subscription model is fucking genius, maybe you should get Kim.com up in that shit to sus you some new pipes.

Dixon Cider A.C. wrote:Haha. Might go get a big jerk off 50" this weekend or next. Time to start gaming properly again.

Yeah I'm thinking something equally ridiculous lol, 50" LED is only like $600 here.
I guess you really need to ask yourself... What Would Graeme Do?

aerozol

Postby aerozol » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:04 pm

snuff wrote:
mmmm....good crack wrote:Could just play them on the console you already have since you own it and shit.

This exactly, Nintendo has got away with re-releasing their titles on their next gen systems for gens. Backwards compat is such a recent edition and one that's only ever happened on a couple systems I dunno why people get so pissy eh.
Sony couldn't possibly have started doing it any earlier..

But you guys are right, you've convinced me, I thought I thought it was lame but now I realize that I actually at the time thought not having that feature is actually a great feature!
Thanks for setting me straight.

Fiction & Falsehood

Postby Fiction & Falsehood » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:19 pm

i could probably count all the times i put a ps1 game in a ps2 on 1 hand, shit i could probably count it on my dick.

when ps3 came out i remember we were playing the ps2 need for speeds on my flatmates new ps3, but it didnt play any different to how it did on a ps2 so it wasnt that much of a privilege.
“There is something beautiful in seeing the poor accept their lot, to suffer it like Christ’s Passion. The world gains much from their suffering,” -Mother Theresa

snuff

Postby snuff » Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:09 am

Yeah the original PS3 had a dedicated chip for backwards compat, they pulled it quite shortly after launch to try and bring cost down and shift more units.

daggers

Postby daggers » Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:24 pm

I am Sancho wrote:That worries me somewhat, there is the potential that you will have to pay for games you alredy own again in order to play them.

they've already been doing this for years, they are called 'HD Collections'
https://www.discogs.com/user/daggers_NZ/collection
[img]http://iforce.co.nz/i/q3xbuiu4.mh3.png[/img]

snuff

Postby snuff » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:57 am

GoW HD collection was great, really need to pick up Ico/Shadow and jam that too.

crain
niggativity scene

Postby crain » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:58 pm

just play all your old megadrive/nes/snes/gameboy ish on this.... HDMI outputs means an upscaler..?

*edit - link
http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2013/03/h ... -retron-4/

Fiction & Falsehood

Postby Fiction & Falsehood » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:00 pm

nah...

this:

plus this: http://www.gamefabrique.com/

equals this:

aerozol

Postby aerozol » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:13 am

crain wrote:just play all your old megadrive/nes/snes/gameboy ish on this...

An old Xbox can be grabbed super cheap these days, and I don't think I've used anything as versatile for storing heaps of 'old school' stuff with whatever front end.
Not that I play many..

Although me and a flatmate did pass GB Pokemon Trading Card Game a little while back. Gameboy games on a big screen are hilarious. And slightly painful.

snuff

Postby snuff » Wed May 22, 2013 8:40 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TP_E6Bn6fWM[/youtube]

http://kotaku.com/the-next-xbox-is-call ... -509069410

All the deets...

E3 is gonna be great to see all title side of things. Looks like this finally sews up what's the primary media centre now, stoked on BD inclusion.

Dixon Cider A.C.

Re: PS4 / XBox One

Postby Dixon Cider A.C. » Wed May 22, 2013 9:24 am

Gotta pay to borrow games off cunts now, lame. Still pretty hype for this though

geneterror666
Six Button Terrorist

Postby geneterror666 » Wed May 22, 2013 11:01 am

some random guy on the internet wrote:Watching the new xbox reveal, I find myself thinking am I seeing the next generation of console? or the next generation of Tivo . . that also happens to play games.

Mirrors my thoughts. Don't care about/actually actively dislike Kinect and it is required for 'Xbox One'.

Also seems to be being sold on awesome TV/media services but none of those are available outside the U.S so they are useless to us and I doubt they will drop the price outside the U.S to accomodate the fact that these services are useless to us.

Holding out for E3 to see games that aren't shitty CoD/Halo FPS games or Sports Games. The only thing I care about so far is Forza but I'm not buying a whole console for that especially considering I have a Logitech wheel for my PS3.

geneterror666
Six Button Terrorist

Postby geneterror666 » Wed May 22, 2013 11:09 am

Also:
Kotaku: If I’m playing a single player game, do I have to be online at least once per hour or something like that? Or can I go weeks and weeks?

Harrison: I believe it’s 24 hours.

Kotaku: I’d have to connect online once every day.

Harrison: Correct.

So the system is built to work even if your Internet connection goes down, but you still have to be connected at least once a day to use it, according to Harrison. We're not sure exactly what would happen if you don't connect once per day—and that timeframe could change—but this doesn't sound good for anyone who was hoping to use Xbox One without an Internet connection.

Doesn't really bother me but it's gonna piss off a few people.

mmmm....good crack

Postby mmmm....good crack » Wed May 22, 2013 11:10 am

tbh its just a console lol. i'm not sure what people really expect from these things.

looks fine to me, the tv shit doesnt interest me, have to wait till E3 for some game deets.

kinect doesnt make fun of you or hurts children, it just sits there. not sure whats really to dislike about it? the games are gay sure but you dont have to play them

geneterror666
Six Button Terrorist

Postby geneterror666 » Wed May 22, 2013 11:33 am

That's true but this gen I just didn't buy Kinect so I didn't have to pay for it. Just like I haven't purchased a Move controller for my PS3.

With Xbox One it's included so will be making up part of the cost of buying the console and Microsoft will be pushing for developers to use it but it leaves me paying for something I don't want. Same goes for all the TV media stuff, will they reduce the price in NZ because we can't used half it's features? I doubt it.
It's more just that I don't want to pay for stuff I don't want/can't use. I guess I just won't, problem solved.

snuff

Postby snuff » Wed May 22, 2013 1:13 pm

Funny its the X1 media features that have me most pumped, also the fantasy sports integration.

Gonna put down some coin on X1/PS4 pre orders when I get back from vacae next week I think.

snuff

Postby snuff » Wed May 22, 2013 1:25 pm

Stop watching Person of Interest J lol

Dixon Cider A.C.

Postby Dixon Cider A.C. » Wed May 22, 2013 2:21 pm

So what actually happens if you turn your router off for a few days? Not totally understanding this mandatory once a day Internet connection business.

Philfy Vermin
Location: pointing two fingers at head and making 'peow' noises

Postby Philfy Vermin » Wed May 22, 2013 3:23 pm

Dixon Cider A.C. wrote:So what actually happens if you turn your router off for a few days? Not totally understanding this mandatory once a day Internet connection business.

yeh... what happens?
Hail to the demons of the earth and kaos anarchy and destruction to those who exploit our human rights and starve the poor and make us suffer for the dead now walk the earth the armys of the dead hail vampires and all creatures of the night hail to the white moon and drtink the blood of our enimies and paint the town red

General Mutante wrote:You're so controversial. I can't handle it.

wolfcult

Postby wolfcult » Wed May 22, 2013 3:45 pm

ur house catches fire and rob unvaccinates your children.

Seriously though, PS4 is looking like the goer for me, X1 just doesn't cut the mustard despite both having very similar specs.
therapist wrote:Apparently arguing with you guys on the internetz is childish & unprofessional (As much as I enjoy it).
So I have been forbidden by the band from further interaction on a personal level.
It was alot of fun while it lasted, but we would prefer to conduct ourself's in a more mature fashion from now on.

:baton:

Thanks for all your feedback & I'm sorry for any offence I may have caused anyone.

mmmm....good crack

Postby mmmm....good crack » Wed May 22, 2013 5:11 pm

Game dvr sounds cool. After seeing more shit im kinda hype for this. Already know the controller shits on PS so theres that. Still got heaps of current gen shit to jam, heaps of shit i missed, like bioshock, tomb raider, fallout new Vegas to catch up on so no rush but il prob try grab it at release.

snuff

Postby snuff » Thu May 23, 2013 2:03 am

Yeah trigger feedback on the controller is gonna be awesome.

Game DVR is exactly what was announced for PS4 as well, both tryna catch up on PC there.

Pretty funny that Sony's stock skyrocketed yesterday!

aerozol

Postby aerozol » Thu May 23, 2013 10:08 am

As usual, will wait and see what's easier to mod.
Which will almost certainly be the Xbox One.. All these media aspects look sweet to be honest, turning into a bit of a replacement for a computer, which I don't need, but I know heaps of people with shitty laptops but a console. You know the stoner types I'm talking about!

Marrow
real poo particles

Postby Marrow » Thu May 23, 2013 11:52 am

Turned of XBOX by the alleged always online component, because I never have a reliable connection. But who am I kidding, I'd never bother with a console anyway. I think these days gaming laptop is master race.
Dead Kid wrote:Just leave your friends at home this time eh... Spelling-Mistake Chris, Hit On All The Moderators Chris, Anti-Social Chris, and I think that's when Make-Every-Thread-Twice-As-Long-As-It-Needs-To-Be Chris showed up. I'm telling you, you've got to sort your foruming out bro
PertHJ wrote:You can't drink your coffee and fuck it too

Return to “Geek Forum”