PS4 / XBox One

Random stuff about computers, freeware, coding, and all that...
snuff
Information Highway Patrol

PS4 / XBox One

Postby snuff » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:50 am

I was pretty surprised with Sony yesterday, wasn't expecting them to step up quite as much as they did.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hjx2Sd52U4[/youtube]

No doubt a lot of what was showed will undoubtedly either turn out to be pre-rendered and nothing like the rls or vaporware but fuck it, shit looked cool.

It's funny how instantly forums and comments sections filled up with the usual combination of PC gamers "It just looks like a shitty PC my $3K rig is heaps awesomer", and Xbox fanboy derision.

Having been in both of these response camps before it's kinda hard not to sit back and laugh, those who've known me on here for a while know I was the biggest hater on console fps for the longest time loal. I guess getting older I'm down with just being a gamer now so I get pumped on any new tech, I'm well excited for the new Xbox announcement which is no doubt on the horizon... anyhow I digress...

PS4!

The new controller looks fucking sweet, I've personally always preferred the PS controllers as I like my analog sticks symmetrical but it looks from the pics like Sony has ganked two things that I always felt XB had over them in the controller dept... concave sticks, and decent triggers. It also appears it may be slightly larger which I know is something a lot of peeps have had a prob with. It appears they've used the D-Pad from the PSVita as well which is sweet as that thing is the greatest D-Pad I've ever used.

The addition of the move functionality and the touch screen I couldn't care too much about if anything it's going to make buying additional controllers that much more expensive. The share button is pretty rad, one touch and being able to live stream your game is an awesome feature esp for the likes of fighting/sports/racing/fps.

Hrez1 Hrez2

I think this next gen of consoles, spec wise they're looking pretty much the same so it's really going to come down in large part to exclusive IP. This is what really swayed me to PS3 in the current gen... Gran Turismo, Little Big Planet, Uncharted, InFamous, Heavy Rain etc plus anything ThatGameCompany put out.

Wasn't that much of a surprise then to see devs from all those titles showcasing some new sequels/new shit, most of which looked pretty damn cool. Also their strat to make dev on PS4 much much easier seems like a real good plan considering the apparent shitburger PS3 was to dev for.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CC5cri3oymc[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUZJTjns6Qg[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pV7glEHIKK4[/youtube]

Was also interesting to see both Blizzard, and Bungie give presentations... Diablo 3's announcement seems like Blizzard trying to maybe save the game? But I gotta say the idea of having 4 people playing together local is awesome! Reminds me of X-men Legends on the og Xbox. Bungie coming out an saying Destiny is gonna be on PS4 is fucking cool, this is one title I was pumped as to pick up the new Xbox for.

So yeah...

Your turn Microsoft! Can't wait to see what they turn around and deliver, and with Sony not even showing the console itself E3 should be well good in June.

Xmas is going to be expensive this year...
Last edited by snuff on Wed May 22, 2013 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
I guess you really need to ask yourself... What Would Graeme Do?

geneterror666
Six Button Terrorist

Re: PS4 / Next Gen Consoles

Postby geneterror666 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:57 am

Haha Snuff I came to make a new topic this morning but ya beat me to it.

Cool interview here that expands on some stuff not fully explained yesterday: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013- ... ida-on-ps4

No blocking used games and you don't have to be online to play which was two things that people haven't been able to let go leading up to yesterday.

Another thing I found out is that you can finally charge your controllers while the console is on standby! I hate the fact the Xbox controller uses batteries for some reason, mainly that I never have any spares around when it runs out :(

Even though it has a shitty working title I pumped to see hoe that "Deep down" game works out. Looks like Skyrim/Dark Souls! E3 is gonna be crazy.

At this point things are looking pretty grim for Nintendo/Wii U haha.

snuff

Postby snuff » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:14 am

Yeah that's a great interview man.

What's your thoughts on backwards capability? I was thinking about it the other day and it's really only Wii/Gamecube that's done it entirely in the past.

I liked how Sony with PS3 did things like GoW and Ico etc in 720p and re-released, but I'm guessing with the Gaikai acquisition they're maybe looking at streaming older titles.

Would be pretty epic if they had the entire PS1/2/3 catalog avail to play.

Fiction & Falsehood

Postby Fiction & Falsehood » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:33 am

does this mean GTA5 will be released for ps4?
“There is something beautiful in seeing the poor accept their lot, to suffer it like Christ’s Passion. The world gains much from their suffering,” -Mother Theresa

snuff

Postby snuff » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:58 am

Rockstar have confirmed that it will launch on PS3/360 in September. PS4 and new Xbox are looking at Nov releases so it'll prob drop on those formats soon after I imagine. No word on PC.

Fiction & Falsehood

Postby Fiction & Falsehood » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:05 am

i wonder how much different it will be...

i know this is barely relevant, but i remember how different sonic2 was on megadrive compared to master system.
“There is something beautiful in seeing the poor accept their lot, to suffer it like Christ’s Passion. The world gains much from their suffering,” -Mother Theresa

snuff

Postby snuff » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:20 am

Yeah there was a couple of PS2 games that were rls on PS3 as well with pretty substantial gfx diff.

Fiction & Falsehood

Postby Fiction & Falsehood » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:09 pm

anyone got a projected price for a ps4 on release?
not keen on $1500 which is what im guessing

snuff

Postby snuff » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:41 pm

After how the PS3 pricing on launch fucked them I'd say they're gonna sell at a loss on launch.

Somewhere around US$400 I'm guessing.

Fiction & Falsehood

Postby Fiction & Falsehood » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:48 pm

that means about $500nzd? sounds too good to be true imo

snuff

Postby snuff » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:57 pm

NZ/Aus can't bank on direct currency conversion though.

For example a new release PS3 game where I am on ebgames.ca is CA$59.99 which is NZ$70.61.

That same game on ebgames.co.nz is NZ$108.

It's fucking bullshit which is why in Aussie they've been getting legal on a bunch of companies.

http://www.theage.com.au/technology/tec ... 2e80e.html

mmmm....good crack

Postby mmmm....good crack » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:37 pm

be about 700 - 800 i'm guessing.

Dixon Cider A.C.

Postby Dixon Cider A.C. » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:54 pm

Happily pay a grand for a nek gen ekbok

I am Sancho

Postby I am Sancho » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:30 pm

I would wait 6 months at least to purchase a next-gen console, there usually just aren't enough awesome titles at launch time to make an upgrade worth while. With the PS4 not being backwards compatible that would definitely put me off buying in early, some games may or may not be available on both consoles at launch and from previous experience games that came out on both old and next-gen consoles were typically better on the old consoles.

The only thing I'd consider upgrading immediately for is if one of these consoles actually doubled as a good media centre / player.

geneterror666
Six Button Terrorist

Postby geneterror666 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:45 pm

mmmm....good crack wrote:be about 700 - 800 i'm guessing.

EBGames NZ would like a word with you about your price estimate :baton:
https://www.ebgames.co.nz/featured/play ... ntent=home

Suzannah pointed out to me they probably have it so high so they can "slash" the price before it comes out. She works at Mightyape now though so as soon as there is a price I'll know ;)

daggers

Postby daggers » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:47 pm

cool, a $130 controller. I'm still to stingy to buy a $80 DS3
https://www.discogs.com/user/daggers_NZ/collection
[img]http://iforce.co.nz/i/q3xbuiu4.mh3.png[/img]

aerozol

Postby aerozol » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:55 pm

Just waiting for one of them to be moddable really (esp soft moddable).
I have high hopes for the Wii-U on that front but have to wait and see

Fiction & Falsehood

Postby Fiction & Falsehood » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:17 pm

fuckin $1200, fuck my life, it will be $1500 by the time you get GTA4 an extra controller and another game.

SUX BEING RIGHT ABOUT STUFF WHEN YOURE A NEGATIVE CUNT

geneterror666
Six Button Terrorist

Postby geneterror666 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:40 pm

You mean GTA5 bro?

buckton

Postby buckton » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:09 pm

EB Games has set a place holder price of $800 or $900 can't remember which but I was surprised thinking it would've been comparable to ps3 launch price.
ImageImageImage

buckton

Postby buckton » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:10 pm

Yeah $899
ImageImageImage

Fiction & Falsehood

Postby Fiction & Falsehood » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:10 am

geneterror666 wrote:You mean GTA5 bro?

um... yeh

snuff

Postby snuff » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:35 am

Pretty epic that Watch Dogs appeared to bust out some lowkey MP, holy fuck this game could be epic!

And, if you were looking carefully, you even saw some multiplayer.

At 4:12 in the demo video, you'll see the action zoom in on a security camera that appears to get hacked. Who's getting into the device's security code? It didn't look like Aiden Pearce was doing it. I asked Morin if it was another player jumping into the Watch Dogs demo. Here's that exchange:

Kotaku: I seem to remember that you guys talked about asynchronous multiplayer design at E3. Is that what we saw at the end of the demo, where the camera was being hacked?

Morin: Yeah, that's a nice observation. Not everybody picked that up. Watch Dogs is all about hyperconnectivity. To me, that has to mean all the time and anywhere. So yes, other people are out there all the time, when you don't expect it. Whether you're playing single-player or multiplayer, it's happening. You're saying asynchronous but it's much more real-time than that…

Kotaku: Because we saw a real-time demo tonight, right? What we saw was another player jumping into the game and affecting a certain part of the gameplay…

Morin: Yes, exactly. There's more detail to come on that.

src

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRt2bw82wYo[/youtube]

I am Sancho

Postby I am Sancho » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:47 am

Yeah Watch Dogs gets a great big sploosh on the excitement scale. Hoping it comes the the new Xbox as well.

cheese

Postby cheese » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:17 pm

Semi keen if gta5 is worth it for the upgrade, didnt realise they were going to release on ps4 as well. Id be guessing 700-800 as a release price?
Back 2 Life wrote:cheese is better

buckton

Postby buckton » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:14 am

$899au, EB Games will probably be doing a PS3 + 30 games to get $8 off deal though and my games can't be worth more than about 30 cents each so I'm totally gonna go for it.
ImageImageImage

FC
Orange Ska Dork

Postby FC » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:16 am

:lol:
PertHJ wrote:I disagree with Aidans divergence from ska music, but agree with his correct use of scientific terms

Ois II Men|Hatewanx|XfrankgrimesX

snuff

Postby snuff » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:43 am

:lol:

I'm liking all this talk of the PS1/2/3 back catalog available to being streamed and for a subscription e.g a Netflix type model.

Be awesome to reminisce on a title and then fire it up instantly, trying to clock those elusive titles that plagued you in ya yoof.

daggers

Postby daggers » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:21 am

Yeah, our internet infrastructure will totally be able to make that work
https://www.discogs.com/user/daggers_NZ/collection
[img]http://iforce.co.nz/i/q3xbuiu4.mh3.png[/img]

aerozol

Postby aerozol » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:39 am

Not having backwards compatibility except for what they decide to allow you to re-purchase sounds lame to me

Return to “Geek Forum”