school me on nas for home

Random stuff about computers, freeware, coding, and all that...
Red_switch

school me on nas for home

Postby Red_switch » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:16 am

Need to get more organised with media/data storage at home. Too many ext hd's and shit flying around. Figure I should set up some sort of nas type deal. I was going to rejvenate an older pc as a file/media server, but kind of can't be fucked having too many big boxes around the place, and keen for something quiet and small that can be set up as painlessly and quickly as could reasonably be expected, and if the mrs could drive it without freaking out that would be good too.

It needs to do DLNA, and remote/web access would be good too. Is it worth paying what seems to be a bit of a premium for an off the shelf solution *(and potentially be stuck with proprietry management software/ui?) or is it going to be better to get a decent case and chuck a couple of decent drives in there (RAID is gonna be the way to go yeah?)?

How much should I expect to pay to get something up and running? I'm thinking a max of 2TB of storage, could probably get away with 1TB, but 2 would let me do this shit properly.

Over to you punkas.

Oh, and this might be a completely retarded question (thinking for the future etc) - but could a decent nas be used as a webserver in any sort of useful/practical sense?

(Yes, I could research this shit myself, but I have things to do, a lot of the info I've come across online seems to be a couple years old or more, figure things have gotten better/cheaper in that time?)
I think it's lint.

Red_switch

Re: school me on nas for home

Postby Red_switch » Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:20 pm

Yea, might be worth going bigger from the start... how much of a cunt is it to swap out drives down the track (probably dependent on RAID config?). That qnap kit looks neat, who is good to buy this shit from in NZ? Or int'l?
I think it's lint.

Red_switch

Postby Red_switch » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:27 pm

bugger it, just gonna go down the "real server" path I think.
I think it's lint.

Red_switch

Postby Red_switch » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:42 pm

I think Ubuntu server will work just nicely. Gonna run it on a solid but unused old pc. Won't worry about RAID for now... care to recommend a decent hard drive to chuck up this bitch?
I think it's lint.

Lummoxgrinder

Postby Lummoxgrinder » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:46 pm

I'm running FreeNAS on an old pc I got my some dood. PentiumD Has 4Gb ECC RAM in it a Raid5 array of 4 1TB WD Blues. Works like a treat. Have it in my basement and never have to touch it. Been running for a few days now

Return to “Geek Forum”