splicing/crimping tool for (RG6?) coax?

Random stuff about computers, freeware, coding, and all that...
Red_switch

splicing/crimping tool for (RG6?) coax?

Postby Red_switch » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:45 am

Hi geekz

Fucked around after work last night shifting the old sky cable at home so that we can get UHF freeview on the telly (works hardout as! had kinda resigned ourselves to having to get sky, don't know why I didn't think of this sooner). Anyway, since I'm a mad handyman, I ended up having to cut the cable above where it came up through the floor in it's original spot (wouldn't fit back through the hole with the connector attached and I didn't really have a way to embiggen the hole without fucking shit up). I crudely spliced it back together/jammed the coax back up in the connector by hand, but I figure I should re-do it properly sometime (got all the channels sweet as, and quality is generally ace, just now and then the picture goes nuts for a second, I figure my shitty job is fucking with the signal?). Can someone tell me where to find a reasonable but cheap tool that will strip and crimp coax properly? Ideally it would also be of use for other shit too (I should really re-do the wiring on the water pump better-er sometime...). I don't want to pay heaps, I imagine I'll spend $30-50 on this tool. Am I dreaming? I've seen some freaking exorbitant prices online.

tl;dr, I want a good, cheap crimping tool that will do coax.
I think it's lint.

Little Miss Twoshoes

Re: splicing/crimping tool for (RG6?) coax?

Postby Little Miss Twoshoes » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:34 pm

I can't help you with your nerd woes, but 10 points for using the word 'embiggen' :D
"Personally, monsieur," said Poirot, "I don't give le fuck."

Shoot first, think never!

Red_switch

Postby Red_switch » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:37 pm

I don't have to write enough for work or whatever these days.
I think it's lint.

slob

Postby slob » Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:12 pm

Getting a stripper and using screw connectors is the cheapest way:

These work fine:
http://www.newhamstore.com/Tools/Wire-S ... d_543.html
Closest to it at jaycar..
http://www.jaycar.co.nz/productView.asp ... ATID=954#1

If it doesn't work you can always unscrew the connector and redo it, Though you'd have to be a real retard to fuck it up.

If your original cable had a screw on connector you wouldn't have had to cut the cable in the first place....

If you still really want to crimp shit:

http://www.jaycar.co.nz/productView.asp ... ATID=954#1

Red_switch

Postby Red_switch » Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:38 pm

nah it was crimped. Cheers for the pointers, shit that local jaycar agent closes at 5.15 and I work 20 minutes out of town. Khunts.
I think it's lint.

Lummoxgrinder

Postby Lummoxgrinder » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:13 pm

Don't use screw connectors they are shit. I have a crimper and crimps but I live in dunedin. The reason it goes all fucky will be because of the whorey join you did. Every good proper termination on a coax cable sucks a few db but a whorey arse join like the one you stated above would suck a shit ton. I use compression crimps rather than hex crimps for all the TV stuff I do at work and around the place as they are just better and you get a better connection and less loss. Depending on the age of the cable it could be RG59 which is narrower than RG6 and doesn't fit properly into RG6 connectors. Being an electrician I do a fair bit of TV work around town. Even got a dishpointer app on my phone haha works awesomely!

Fiction & Falsehood

Postby Fiction & Falsehood » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:18 am

mickey mouse tv antennas just dont work anymore, i used to have a speaker cable going out the window and onto a wooden T on the roof, the other end stuffed in the coaxial socket on the back of the TV and secured with matchsticks, cant see that doing shit now tho, ive had old crappy speaker cables draped all around the room to get reception.
“There is something beautiful in seeing the poor accept their lot, to suffer it like Christ’s Passion. The world gains much from their suffering,” -Mother Theresa

dustbinflowers

Postby dustbinflowers » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:31 pm

Fiction & Falsehood wrote:mickey mouse tv antennas just dont work anymore, i used to have a speaker cable going out the window and onto a wooden T on the roof, the other end stuffed in the coaxial socket on the back of the TV and secured with matchsticks, cant see that doing shit now tho, ive had old crappy speaker cables draped all around the room to get reception.

Back in Phil's day it was all paddocks... etc etc....
Uncinia vector

Fiction & Falsehood

Postby Fiction & Falsehood » Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:01 pm

this used to be a parking lot, now its nothing but flowers
“There is something beautiful in seeing the poor accept their lot, to suffer it like Christ’s Passion. The world gains much from their suffering,” -Mother Theresa

Red_switch

Postby Red_switch » Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:36 pm

You can get shit rabbit ear type antenna from the warehouse for ten bucks that will hook you up with freeview and everything (if you live somewhere with decent enough uhf reception iirc)

I've just used a screw connector for now, but will do a proper job of it sometime. Might run some more coax sometime so will do the whole lot then.
I think it's lint.

crain
niggativity scene

Postby crain » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:10 pm

Hex crimp tool should only be about what you want to pay and rg59/6 crimps are fuck all too. Just make sure you strip it back tidy so the conductors dont touch. Assuming youre just going f-type to pal the db losses are negligible if its a relatively short run.

Red_switch

Postby Red_switch » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:09 pm

Yeah, shouldn't be too dear, just a cunt getting to somewhere that sells the tool what with work and all. Got a screw connector on it at the moment, it's ok, but the arrangement of the cable puts pressure on the join that slowly loosens the whole thing up (really shit connector here) so every couple of weeks it seems I have to re-jig the fucker. Will be running a bit more cable around the place within the next month so will do it all properly then.
I think it's lint.

Return to “Geek Forum”