linux convert

Random stuff about computers, freeware, coding, and all that...
Red_switch

linux convert

Postby Red_switch » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:30 pm

Have dabbled a little in the past, but never got round to fucking about with it on a machine of my own. Hooked up a shitty old hp laptop with Debian Mint Xfce the other day and holy shit. This bitch is like a new lease on life. Don't know why I waited this long, but I am enjoying it. Next time I get bored I think I'll axe the windows partition on here completely.

What cool shit should I be doing with my new found linux wankery?

:calavcalav:
I think it's lint.

ruff

Re: linux convert

Postby ruff » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:21 pm

Ditch Mint just for now and start with Arch Linux. Arch doesn't have the higher barrier to entry as say Gentoo but it will teach you most of the fundamentals while you get it running on your laptop. It forces you to learn Linux with out hiding the advantages and challenges of the configuration of the platform behind a GUI.

Marrow
real poo particles

Postby Marrow » Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:27 pm

Look up all the cool shit you can do with Corky or whatever for your desktop. Mainly so anyone who sees your desktop is jealous of the cool shit it can do
Dead Kid wrote:Just leave your friends at home this time eh... Spelling-Mistake Chris, Hit On All The Moderators Chris, Anti-Social Chris, and I think that's when Make-Every-Thread-Twice-As-Long-As-It-Needs-To-Be Chris showed up. I'm telling you, you've got to sort your foruming out bro
PertHJ wrote:You can't drink your coffee and fuck it too

mmmm....good crack

Postby mmmm....good crack » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:21 pm

Is the shit actually cool, or gimmicky use it once and never touch it again cool?

Marrow
real poo particles

Postby Marrow » Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:41 pm

Depends what you do with it. Its like native rainmeter, but you code from scratch (or steal other peoples codes and butcher them)
Dead Kid wrote:Just leave your friends at home this time eh... Spelling-Mistake Chris, Hit On All The Moderators Chris, Anti-Social Chris, and I think that's when Make-Every-Thread-Twice-As-Long-As-It-Needs-To-Be Chris showed up. I'm telling you, you've got to sort your foruming out bro
PertHJ wrote:You can't drink your coffee and fuck it too

Red_switch

Postby Red_switch » Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:43 pm

ruff wrote:Ditch Mint just for now and start with Arch Linux. Arch doesn't have the higher barrier to entry as say Gentoo but it will teach you most of the fundamentals while you get it running on your laptop. It forces you to learn Linux with out hiding the advantages and challenges of the configuration of the platform behind a GUI.

Cheers for the heads up on that man, might do that on my desktop when I get around to giving it a good sort out sometime soon, more likely to fuck around with shit on there. Laptop is pretty much just a fucking around on the internet thing (well, that's what it had been reduced to running vista, but it's feeling a whole lot more capable now).

I didn't look into it heaps, but I got the impression that Xfce is pretty alright for giving old fucked pieces of shit a new lease on life? Seems to be the case anyway.
I think it's lint.

Lummoxgrinder

Postby Lummoxgrinder » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:45 pm

I use Linux on my serverbox. Running Freenas 0.7.1 which is running on FreeBSD 7.2-RELEASE-p7. It's really stable running a software raid5 with 5 1TB drives.

Also run Linux on my eee running easypeasy on that. Works ok. Way better than the XP that was on there

Run win7 on my main PC.

ruff

Postby ruff » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:49 pm

Xfce has always been my preferred choice but I now find myself moving towards tiling window managers but that's more to do with my specific needs than an actual recommendation of them to everyone else. Above all else learn the command line.

Browse this site: http://www.mylinuxrig.com/tagged/the_linux_setup It's a blog about different people's Linux setups. Lots of academics and professionals.

Return to “Geek Forum”