Hardrive Recovery

Random stuff about computers, freeware, coding, and all that...
clancy

Hardrive Recovery

Postby clancy » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:25 pm

So... last night I dropped my wife's 1TB western digital elements external hard drive on the floor from table height. It now doesn't mount and clicks for a few seconds before an alert pops up saying it can't mount the drive. She has a huge amount of her work and our travel photos on this drive. They have not been backed up. Oh shit.

The pain of it all is, the day before we just sorted out cloud storage but hadn't started backing anything up yet.

I guess I have two questions:

1. We are in Istanbul for the next week and then Croatia and then home. Can the drive be damaged further if we don't send it in til then? Or should we make the effort here?

2. Does anyone have any recommendations for cheapish, reliable data recovery when we get home?

Honestly, this data means a lot to us, so we would pay a lot to make sure it's saved.

Clancy at 777 posts.

clancy

Re: Hardrive Recovery

Postby clancy » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:48 pm

Thanks J

My Turkish is non-existent, so dealing with the language as well as potentially dodgy computer experts is worrying.

Oh man. I hope we can get it back.

clancy

Postby clancy » Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:59 am

So we tracked down a reputable company in Istanbul, made the hike and managed to get the HD analysed. The head is damaged but there is no scratching. They quoted 1750 USD! to recover the data... We said nope.

We are hoping we can do better than that when we get home.

Fingers still crossed. I would still love to hear the name of the company you use.

jont420

Postby jont420 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:32 am

this could have all been avoided if you had invested in some of scott penk's disposable cameras.

matt youwin

Postby matt youwin » Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:36 pm

Yo Clancy, booze had the same problem recently and was quoted $700 for recovery, hit him up if you want to know which company...

xCaptainx
Stay Cold

Postby xCaptainx » Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:11 pm

Pretty sure it'll just be dust in the vents.

Return to “Geek Forum”