Anyone know their way about iTunes?

Random stuff about computers, freeware, coding, and all that...
steeltoedsneakers

Anyone know their way about iTunes?

Postby steeltoedsneakers » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:49 pm

I've gone and fucked up my media library.. It's a giant mess at the moment.

I noticed that my music directory had gotten a bit bloated, and on closer inspection realised that there were double-ups within most of the album folders - eg. 'Song.mp3' and 'Song 1.mp3'.

I did a bit of digging online, and decided to try out DupeGuru Music Edition - Worked like a charm. It, rightly, picked all the 'Song 1.mp3' files as duplicates and kept all the original 'Song.mp3' ones.

So far, so good, right? Well, after deleting these files I opened iTunes. It was then I realised that these duplicates had been around longer than I thought. Playing a song resulted in the "file could not be found" error box. I ran a smart playlist to find all these missing files and it turned out that roughly 7/8ths of the entire library had exclamation marks next to the songs..

So, first mess established. I have a number of playlists in my library that I don't want to lose, so I didn't want to just start again. So I did what any sane man would do, and hit File>Add folder to library - in the vague hope that iTunes would go "Oh, there they all are" and fix all the broken file links..

So I still don't have my playlists. I have thousands and thousands of excalamation marks still, and now I also have a ludicrous amount of library duplicates to deal with too. What do I do to fix everything?

TL;DR - Used DupeGuru to clear out duplicates in music directory. Turns out iTunes library was pointed at the duplicates and not the originals.
Need to make entire library point back at the originals. Possible in bulk: Yay or Nay?

Open to switching programs to something smarter if that's what it takes too..
dream comfort memory despair

Danny-Boy

Re: Anyone know their way about iTunes?

Postby Danny-Boy » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:12 am

steeltoedsneakers wrote:Open to switching programs to something smarter if that's what it takes too..

Yeah I'd avoid iTunes and use another program. It's generally slow and will slow your whole system down. And it does stupid shit like what you're describing. I use foobar2000. Uses fuck all memory, is fast and you can customize it any way you want. If you can't be fucked getting into customizing it then just use one of the templates or download a new one. I recommend it, but not everyone is down on it. Great piece of software but it might not be for you. Just a suggestion.

http://www.foobar2000.org/

Danny-Boy

Postby Danny-Boy » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:14 am

Ohhh damn I just realized you need iTunes for your ipod. In that case then I dunno. I myself would just erase my library then just click 'add folder' on my music directory and wait for it all to load again. However if you don't use an ipod then you could probably ignore this comment.

Fiction & Falsehood

Postby Fiction & Falsehood » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:13 am

i think i see your problem...
“There is something beautiful in seeing the poor accept their lot, to suffer it like Christ’s Passion. The world gains much from their suffering,” -Mother Theresa

steeltoedsneakers

Postby steeltoedsneakers » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:23 am

It's iTunes!

Kind of aware of that, what I want to be able to do is bulk edit the playlist files, but when you export playlists in XML/text, it only gives file locations for .mp3s for some reason, and not the .aac ones.. Basically I want an easy fix without having to manually re-enter songs into the playlists.

Plus the Mrs isn't likely going to deal with change well if the alternative is too different from iTunes.

Fiction & Falsehood

Postby Fiction & Falsehood » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:27 am

cant help sorry, i had to deal with itunes once several years ago, id rather stick a steak knife up my pisshole than go thru that again, i solved my problem by kissing goodbye to all the mp3's it had stolen and removing the whole cursed program form the computer and never letting it ever come back.
“There is something beautiful in seeing the poor accept their lot, to suffer it like Christ’s Passion. The world gains much from their suffering,” -Mother Theresa

the croc

Postby the croc » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:51 am

I really can't fucking stand itunes, especially after being gifted an iphone and trying to copy music over, syncing etc sucks and always fucks everything up. Why the fuck do all my track tags get fucked when they go from itunes to my iphone? Drives me insane.

I've moved to mediamonkey now which i use solely for loading songs onto my iphone and I use winamp for everything else. It's def not perfect and my iphone still repeatedly tells me there are no songs in the library after adding new albums or stalls on organising the artist list but after fucking around with it for hours on end its the best I can come with. So yeah try mediamonkey, but still be prepared to spend hours fucking around with insanity inducing tedium.
There's more to life than thrash
So let's get really smashed
and do the heavy head dance

https://www.facebook.com/paekakarikipunkshow/

daggers

Postby daggers » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:33 am

I use foobar for playing and itunes to chuck shit on my ipod. foobar really is as good as people yarn on about
https://www.discogs.com/user/daggers_NZ/collection

mmmm....good crack

Postby mmmm....good crack » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:45 am

I'm glad I never bought apple shit. What a cocksmack of program. Should just come up as removable storage in My Computer. Drag shit on and you're done

steeltoedsneakers

Postby steeltoedsneakers » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:36 am

Yeah, I might hop back to media monkey - I used it for a while when my partner moved in and I had to consolidate two libraries. Worked pretty well then, might give it another go. I guess I'm stuck manually building those playlists again..

Dixon Cider A.C.

Postby Dixon Cider A.C. » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:42 am

mmmm....good crack wrote:wah wah wah apple

mmmm....good crack

Postby mmmm....good crack » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:53 pm

Pretty much.

Fiction & Falsehood

Postby Fiction & Falsehood » Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:58 pm

thats what this whole thread is

ghetto ninja

Postby ghetto ninja » Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:53 pm

My one and only gripe with Itunes is that its shuffle algorhythm is fucked.
All the shit you guys cry about has never fucked up for me in this program.
Martyrdamn wrote:Said 'hey baby gurl' to about seven girls tonight,
turns out girls don't like guys talking about getting up in their guts,
fagets, right.

Marrow
real poo particles

Postby Marrow » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:41 pm

I use mediamonkey. it syncs ipods and shit, is free, and manages a 200GB collection without lagging or anything
Dead Kid wrote:Just leave your friends at home this time eh... Spelling-Mistake Chris, Hit On All The Moderators Chris, Anti-Social Chris, and I think that's when Make-Every-Thread-Twice-As-Long-As-It-Needs-To-Be Chris showed up. I'm telling you, you've got to sort your foruming out bro
PertHJ wrote:You can't drink your coffee and fuck it too

Fiction & Falsehood

Postby Fiction & Falsehood » Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:08 pm

when the revolution comes all you apple users will be the first against the wall.

steeltoedsneakers

Postby steeltoedsneakers » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:35 pm

Ok, managed to get a fix through reddit - have tidied things up enough so that I can move across to MediaMonkey.

Learnt some new things about iTunes in the process that were so intuitive I just assumed they wouldn't work..

You can drag and drop from playlists into system folders, and vice versa.

If you're in a playlist, you can hold down shift+delete to delete files from the library, rather than just the playlist.

Since your playlists are all fine now, theres one last thing i could recommend you.

Would still be a lot of work to clean everything up but at least it'd go a little faster.

You'd have to create a folder for each playlist you have, and drag the contend of each playlist in itunes to the corresponding folder you just created.

After you've done this with every playlist, go and delete all files from your library, without deleting the playlists, thus resulting in empty lists. (To accomplish that go into itunes, Music, STRG + A, delete.

Now drag every folder back to its corresponding Playlist in iTunes (make sure you have iTunes set to copy every song added to iTunes to be copied to the iTunes library folder)

If you have EVERY song in a playlist, this should 1. clean up all your doubles (If the files aren't doubled in your playlists) 2. Preserve all your playlists.

Also, ghetto ninja, if you're not happy with the algorithm, and you have time on your hands I'd check out this guide: http://www.keepandshare.com/doc/1154607/smartlist-management-pdf?da=y

It's a chunky document, but it was pretty handy for sorting out proper random playlists. Somewhat out of date now, but most of it still works.

ghetto ninja

Postby ghetto ninja » Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:48 pm

steeltoedsneakers wrote:Also, ghetto ninja, if you're not happy with the algorithm, and you have time on your hands I'd check out this guide: http://www.keepandshare.com/doc/1154607/smartlist-management-pdf?da=y

Hey thanks a lot for that dewd :)
Martyrdamn wrote:Said 'hey baby gurl' to about seven girls tonight,
turns out girls don't like guys talking about getting up in their guts,
fagets, right.

Return to “Geek Forum”