CPU usage spiking all over the show

Random stuff about computers, freeware, coding, and all that...
the ledge

CPU usage spiking all over the show

Postby the ledge » Tue May 31, 2011 7:09 pm

Ok, my motherboard fucked out just a bit over a month ago, so I bought a new one, as well as a new power supply, so currently I have (not the most tech savvy so bear with me)

Intel (R) Core (TM) 2 Duo CPU E6550 @ 2.33GHz
4GB Ram
ASRock G41M-VS3 Motherboard
(do you need to know anything else)

Was previously running XP, so I just bought a new HDD to start again with (a pirated) Windows 7. Installed fine, everything was running great for about a month, until (I think) Microsoft Security Essentials figured out it wasn't genuine. This turned into annoying pop ups to get genuine all the time, and a shitty watermark on my desktop. Found and installed some stuff to make it go away.

Then all of a sudden my CPU is spiking constantly. I looked it up, and found one (not entirely convincing) case of someone saying that Microsoft can make your CPU run at 50% the whole time and can also make downloads slower and slower (which actually seemed to happen)

I booted into (legit) XP on my other hdd, CPU is spiking all over the place. Tried cleaning registry, updating drivers, stopping programs automatically starting on start up, all the steps people were saying. Even reformatted and downloaded trial version of Windows 7 Enterprise, but no good.

CPU spikes from startup, even if nothing is running. Seeing I reformatted, can I nail this down to a hardware problem? Seems to be at about 40 degrees when not doing anything, unsure if this is too much, finding conflicting answers everywhere. Was just gonna try put on new thermal paste to start, cause I don't want to spend heaps for no reason.

Sorry for wall of text, anyone have any ideas? (no the vents aren't too dusty, but I will probably clean it too) Also, if anyone has a key lying round, can you PM me? Was thinking of buying 7 but need to have this problem fixed first or else it's pointless

ruff

Re: CPU usage spiking all over the show

Postby ruff » Tue May 31, 2011 8:15 pm

Whats plugged into the motherboard? How many HDDs, CD/DVD drives, other devices, USB devices etc etc. And what ports are they connected to SATA, IDE, USB etc.

ruff

Postby ruff » Tue May 31, 2011 8:20 pm

Also check BIOS settings... a simple reset to defaults should be done. Also seems to be some newish firmware updates for your MB, might be worth updating.

the ledge

Postby the ledge » Tue May 31, 2011 8:36 pm

3x HDDs (2x 500GB + 1x 250GB) all SATA (Have tried disconnecting the XP one while running Windows 7 and vice versa)

1x CD/DVD drive (IDE)

USB Devices
1x Razer Diamondback Mouse (still spikes with a non USB mouse)
1x External HDD (not turned on)
1x iPod cable (not in use)
Front USBs aren't connected, I blew them up a few years ago

Dual screening if that matters. Having trouble finding what graphics card I have, though I'm 99% sure it's an ASUS GeForce 8600GT

I've reset the BIOS a couple of times, forgot to mention that. Installed heaps of stuff yesterday for the motherboard, but just seen a few more after your suggestion

the ledge

Postby the ledge » Tue May 31, 2011 8:42 pm

I should also mention that the computer was moved over the weekend of v48hrs, but I used it once after that before Windows realised it wasn't genuine, but didn't notice anything wrong with it. Also pretty sure it wasn't knocked or mishandled

ruff

Postby ruff » Tue May 31, 2011 11:27 pm

haha all the new info would lead me to suspect you have a hardware failure.

you can start by removing every component and adding the bare minimum to boot it up - you'll want a fresh OS install - and if that seems okay start adding components one by one.

make sure you dust the vents and make sure every component, RAM, GFX etc is seated properly in their slots.

also if you want when it blue screens post the error codes up here, you may need to hit F8 at boot and disable automatic restart to see it. Seems like you know enough to work that out though.

the ledge

Postby the ledge » Tue May 31, 2011 11:46 pm

Goddamnit. Hopefully it's one of the new things that's failing and it's still under warranty. I was gonna go into PB Tech tomorrow and talk to them about it (it's where I got the new stuff from) I guess I'll just take the computer with me on the chance they might just look at it for me. I can probably fix it myself, but I'd rather someone who knew what they were doing could have a look first though

Cheers for the help!

the ledge

Postby the ledge » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:53 pm

Didn't really seem to be, plus it would be getting raped with nothing open and with it set to nothing on startup. Took it in, a guy is gonna test all the hardware for me, hopefully it's something that's still under warranty.

JJ 2011

Postby JJ 2011 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:21 pm

PSU.
No longer Eddy the Dwarf, but Eddy the Coward - he mentions kids on punkas as some sort of trump card.

Fucken coward, has no shame.

PunkinDrublic wrote:Small Room with mazaire bed
$50 a week + monthly bills

Pref Male
Pref Vege.
Must like cats and narcotics.
Shit cunts need not apply.
Churr

ghetto ninja wrote:The Grove is full of fuckin awesome cunts currently. I would highly recommend moving in.

PunkinDrublic wrote:I would highly recommend Eddie moves back in.
But he's a family man now so the rest of you are in luck.

posting.php?mode=quote&f=24&p=1185281

the ledge

Postby the ledge » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:36 pm

Replaced it a month ago, if it is they'll give me a new one

the ledge

Postby the ledge » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:42 am

Virus checked a couple times and ran spyware detectors, came up with nothing. Even after a reformat this would still happen?

Fuck I dunno, it's in the shop now, I'll let you know what they come up with

the ledge

Postby the ledge » Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:18 pm

Just got it back. They say it's fine. Tested HDD, PSU, Memory, MOBO and ran a virus check (managed to find 1)

CPU = No spiking seen, the spikes shown are reflecting background processes and is normal

Bullshit, it was running fine for the first month, and now it's still going crazy.

Pretty much just paid $75 for a couple new screws they put into the tower

the ledge

Postby the ledge » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:21 pm

Heaps of those are kinda high, right? If this is normal, how come it's only just become noticable?

CPU usage back down to 1%

ruff

Postby ruff » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:51 pm

It has nothing to do with your OS or software installed. You have already stated that you booted into another OS and the same thing happened, and you reinstalled again (Windows 7) and it still happened? Is this correct? This started after you said your PC was moved?

ruff

Postby ruff » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:57 pm

Oh also... how do you connect to your network? Wireless or via the onboard NIC?

the ledge

Postby the ledge » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:54 pm

Connect to the network through the onboard NIC. Just to rule out a problem with the cable (if you're thinking that) it won't be, cause my dipshit landlord cut my ethernet cable in half and I replaced it on Monday.

Yes, it originally happened on the pirated Windows 7 that I had, so I then tried out my XP drive, which also had the same problem. I then reformatted the Windows 7 drive, and installed the trial version of Windows 7 Enterprise, which is what I'm currently using.

It happened after the computer was moved, but I can't be sure it's happened because of this, because I only noticed what was happening a day or two after, so if it was spiking during the couple of days after I moved it, I didn't notice it at all (and I feel like I would have, because at times it's painfully obvious, ie even having something like facebook open slows it right down)

I have really cheap thermal paste, the guy suggested I should get some that was $20 or so. Should I bother or can we rule this out (he told me the temperature wasn't a problem. It tends to be anywhere between 30-40 degrees when I look in the BIOS)

ruff

Postby ruff » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:21 pm

Won't be the cable but you can try disconnecting the network rebooting then see what sort of CPU usage you get. You would have to do things without the internet for a bit but it's something I always try as you will find PB Tech would never have connected your PC to the internet so it could explain why they showed no extreme CPU usage. Faulty motherboard components, like a onboard NIC depending on the fault can lead to the CPU spiking like you describe.

This also happens with things like faulty or badly designed device controllers like an extra SATA controller chip loaded up with two or three drives, or an extra USB controller.

Also check all your pins on every port and socket on the motherboard. Any bent pins touching can also create this problem.

And assuming you haven't already; go through the steps I first outlined, removing all components and starting with the bare minimum and a clean OS install and adding from there.

Return to “Geek Forum”