30 years of FPS

Random stuff about computers, freeware, coding, and all that...
User avatar
snuff
Information Highway Patrol
Posts: 11349
Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2002 6:56 pm
Location: Vault 101

30 years of FPS

Postby snuff » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:06 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZqf5xqKgCE[/youtube]

Fuck talk about bringing back some memories!
I guess you really need to ask yourself... What Would Graeme Do?

User avatar
the croc
Posts: 5663
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:35 pm
Location: Wellington/At sea
Contact:

Re: 30 years of FPS

Postby the croc » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:23 pm

Pretty sweet. Major oversight with leaving System Shock and Operation Flashpoint out though.
There's more to life than thrash
So let's get really smashed
and do the heavy head dance

www.facebook.com/paekakpunkshow

User avatar
snuff
Information Highway Patrol
Posts: 11349
Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2002 6:56 pm
Location: Vault 101

Re: 30 years of FPS

Postby snuff » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:17 pm

Yeah and Deus Ex
I guess you really need to ask yourself... What Would Graeme Do?

User avatar
Lurch
Posts: 3611
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2004 11:27 pm
Location: Hillcrest, Hamilton

Re: 30 years of FPS

Postby Lurch » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:36 pm

I am going to pick up a N64 for the sole reason of playing Goldeneye. If I can find one without fucked controllers that is. Has held up pretty damn good for a 15 year old game judging by that.
Image

User avatar
mmmm....good crack
Posts: 4053
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: down
Contact:

Re: 30 years of FPS

Postby mmmm....good crack » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:59 pm

yeh man, last sunday browsing on trademe i found a Doctor 64 with N64, all the bells and whistles, upgraded ram etc for 300, i fucked off for a bit, decided i'd grab it, jumped back on and it was gone, sucks.

http://superclassicvideogames.com/Doctor%20V64.htm
Image

User avatar
buckton
Posts: 2392
Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2004 9:35 pm
Location: The Nightosphere

Re: 30 years of FPS

Postby buckton » Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:07 pm

Had a hoon on Doom using doomsday engine on mac + 50" plasma, games a lot easier than I remember.
ImageImageImage

User avatar
Phlegethon
Posts: 4518
Joined: Sat Sep 18, 2004 2:45 pm
Location: Well im Peepin and im creepin and im creep-in
Contact:

Re: 30 years of FPS

Postby Phlegethon » Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:59 pm

my first FPS experience was wolfenstein 3D when was about 4/5, great game. great memories.

User avatar
snuff
Information Highway Patrol
Posts: 11349
Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2002 6:56 pm
Location: Vault 101

Re: 30 years of FPS

Postby snuff » Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:07 pm

Yeah Wolf3D was my first as well.

Anyone tried that recent rerelease of Golden Eye?
I guess you really need to ask yourself... What Would Graeme Do?

User avatar
cheese
Posts: 5126
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2003 10:59 am
Location: Brisbane
Contact:

Re: 30 years of FPS

Postby cheese » Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:43 pm

Barely remember playing it but Catacomb3D would have been my first on there, although im pretty sure i had a few FPS games on the amstrad 6128 as we had shitloads of pirated diskettes.

what about good ol heritic and rise of the triad
Played plenty of doom2, heritic and duke3d over the modem back in the day.
Back 2 Life wrote:cheese is better

User avatar
jords
Posts: 2601
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2005 9:28 pm
Location: papakura
Contact:

Re: 30 years of FPS

Postby jords » Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:45 pm

Heretic and Hexen?

User avatar
snuff
Information Highway Patrol
Posts: 11349
Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2002 6:56 pm
Location: Vault 101

Re: 30 years of FPS

Postby snuff » Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:01 pm

Yeah they were good, would consider Descent / Terminal Velocity fps to an extent as well.

RoTT was wicked, og dual wield.

Dial up MP was funny as, totally fucked if someones Mum / Sibling picked up the phone... that used suck so bad for RTS
I guess you really need to ask yourself... What Would Graeme Do?

User avatar
Phlegethon
Posts: 4518
Joined: Sat Sep 18, 2004 2:45 pm
Location: Well im Peepin and im creepin and im creep-in
Contact:

Re: 30 years of FPS

Postby Phlegethon » Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:29 pm

fuckin heretic!!!!!!! that game was awesome.

User avatar
the croc
Posts: 5663
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:35 pm
Location: Wellington/At sea
Contact:

Re: 30 years of FPS

Postby the croc » Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:07 pm

Wolf 3D was my first. Fuck yeah Heretic and Hexen were good shit. Shadow Warrior, Blood, Blake Stone, Line Wars, were by no means ground breaking but I played it a lot.
There's more to life than thrash
So let's get really smashed
and do the heavy head dance

www.facebook.com/paekakpunkshow

User avatar
jords
Posts: 2601
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2005 9:28 pm
Location: papakura
Contact:

Re: 30 years of FPS

Postby jords » Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:48 pm

Dark Forces?

User avatar
buckton
Posts: 2392
Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2004 9:35 pm
Location: The Nightosphere

Re: 30 years of FPS

Postby buckton » Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:17 pm

snuff wrote:Yeah they were good, would consider Descent / Terminal Velocity fps to an extent as well.

RoTT was wicked, og dual wield.

Dial up MP was funny as, totally fucked if someones Mum / Sibling picked up the phone... that used suck so bad for RTS


ha my mum picked up the phone when I was 80% through a download of doom shareware off a bulletin board with a 2400 modem! just went to my mates house and copied the disk rather than wait 4 hours for it to download again.

Dooms heaps easier with a mouse, played through most of episode 1 on hurt me plenty didn't die 'till the sixth level.
ImageImageImage

User avatar
cheese
Posts: 5126
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2003 10:59 am
Location: Brisbane
Contact:

Re: 30 years of FPS

Postby cheese » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:23 pm

that old BBS 'the village' had heaps of sweet warez. 104minutes to download a 1.44mb file on the 2400.
Thats why i hate it when people whinge about "slow" broadband speeds, ya had no idea.
Back 2 Life wrote:cheese is better

User avatar
buckton
Posts: 2392
Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2004 9:35 pm
Location: The Nightosphere

Re: 30 years of FPS

Postby buckton » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:43 pm

cheese wrote:that old BBS 'the village' had heaps of sweet warez. 104minutes to download a 1.44mb file on the 2400.
Thats why i hate it when people whinge about "slow" broadband speeds, ya had no idea.


Was that based in Hamilton?

Got through all of Knee Deep in the Dead onwards to The Shores of Hell!
ImageImageImage

User avatar
matt youwin
Posts: 4588
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2004 2:49 pm
Location: Auckland

Re: 30 years of FPS

Postby matt youwin » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:00 am

cheese wrote:Barely remember playing it but Catacomb3D would have been my first on there


This. Might have to replay a few of these when I get home. I remember playing P2P over dialup, having to ring a mate up first to organise a game haha.

xCaptainx
Stay Cold
Posts: 12163
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 4:36 pm

Re: 30 years of FPS

Postby xCaptainx » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:24 am

I grew up with an Amiga 500+, 1200 and CD32. My first FPS was Gloom. It was a blatant Doom ripoff with LOTS of gore/gibb. I played alot more turn based and RPG games before getting into FPS e.g Xcom, Syndicate, Black Crypt, Eye of the Beholder, Mercenaries, Hired Guns, Dreamweb (GAME RULED) and Monkey Island!

First experience with RPG was on mates PC playing Doom. He was christian so he had to install and uninstall it on the family computer every time he wanted to play, haha.

User avatar
dclxvi
Posts: 13562
Joined: Mon Sep 09, 2002 5:50 pm
Location: pissy shitty bloddy period rape shit cum food stains

Re: 30 years of FPS

Postby dclxvi » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:34 am

first FPS was wolfenstein, that was pretty mean - then a mate got the shareware version of Doom - almost shat myself playing that for the first time. It's amazing how much more advanced the engine is, considering they were only a year apart..


ps. Image
Kerry wrote:Then at an old age, the neighbour's dog thought it would be crakup to maul him and he died so we chucked him up in the ground.


Cosmo Kramer wrote:i have full qualifications (john grisham novels 1-10) and i am yet to sit the bar exam but i know i will pass

User avatar
buckton
Posts: 2392
Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2004 9:35 pm
Location: The Nightosphere

Re: 30 years of FPS

Postby buckton » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:01 am

xCaptainx wrote:I grew up with an Amiga 500+, 1200 and CD32. My first FPS was Gloom. It was a blatant Doom ripoff with LOTS of gore/gibb. I played alot more turn based and RPG games before getting into FPS e.g Xcom, Syndicate, Black Crypt, Eye of the Beholder, Mercenaries, Hired Guns, Dreamweb (GAME RULED) and Monkey Island!

First experience with RPG was on mates PC playing Doom. He was christian so he had to install and uninstall it on the family computer every time he wanted to play, haha.


WAT?
ImageImageImage

User avatar
Andrew_TA
Posts: 4421
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2005 12:05 am
Location: Hamilton East
Contact:

Re: 30 years of FPS

Postby Andrew_TA » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:12 am

Duke Nukem 3D for me
Image

xCaptainx
Stay Cold
Posts: 12163
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 4:36 pm

Re: 30 years of FPS

Postby xCaptainx » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:20 am

buckton wrote:
xCaptainx wrote:I grew up with an Amiga 500+, 1200 and CD32. My first FPS was Gloom. It was a blatant Doom ripoff with LOTS of gore/gibb. I played alot more turn based and RPG games before getting into FPS e.g Xcom, Syndicate, Black Crypt, Eye of the Beholder, Mercenaries, Hired Guns, Dreamweb (GAME RULED) and Monkey Island!

First experience with RPG was on mates PC playing Doom. He was christian so he had to install and uninstall it on the family computer every time he wanted to play, haha.


WAT?


about the last bit? yeah his parents were insanely strict and everything was of the devil. He had Doom on a few discs (or one? I cant remember how many discs it was) so he could only play it by sneaking it onto the computer when his parents were asleep or out, haha.

User avatar
Marrow
real poo particles
Posts: 3748
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:38 pm
Location: lost in the Warp
Contact:

Re: 30 years of FPS

Postby Marrow » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:32 am

I had the same problem with diablo/baldurs gate as a kid :(

User avatar
geneterror
Six Button Terrorist
Posts: 4913
Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2002 9:21 am
Location: Auckland City never forgets!
Contact:

Re: 30 years of FPS

Postby geneterror » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:31 am

I remember when I was working at Dick Smith being a computer nerd some guy came over and gave me a bollocking because we had Doom and Heretic on display where children could see them. Apparently we were doing the devils work by having them in such a tempting spot for weak minded young people to buy. It's funny because they were the only two games his son was interested in :)
Image

User avatar
snuff
Information Highway Patrol
Posts: 11349
Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2002 6:56 pm
Location: Vault 101

Re: 30 years of FPS

Postby snuff » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:41 am

Incredible.

On the BBS tip recently tried to locate the old ascii title screens from the BBS I used to run a way back when, no dice.

Used to rule at making ascii art

Turok with the cerebral bore was win (def top 5 fps weapons of all time), as was Serious Sam.
I guess you really need to ask yourself... What Would Graeme Do?

User avatar
MuscleMan
smut peddler
Posts: 11533
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2005 1:01 pm

Re: 30 years of FPS

Postby MuscleMan » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:52 pm

Top 5 fps guns eh,

CS 1-1.6 : AWP
South Park : Cow Gun
Golden Eye : Moon Raker

Can't think of anymore at this point, but those 3 games are MP intensive and whenever I heard the sound of each gun I was like : FUCK.

User avatar
buckton
Posts: 2392
Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2004 9:35 pm
Location: The Nightosphere

Re: 30 years of FPS

Postby buckton » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:09 pm

xCaptainx wrote:
buckton wrote:
xCaptainx wrote:I grew up with an Amiga 500+, 1200 and CD32. My first FPS was Gloom. It was a blatant Doom ripoff with LOTS of gore/gibb. I played alot more turn based and RPG games before getting into FPS e.g Xcom, Syndicate, Black Crypt, Eye of the Beholder, Mercenaries, Hired Guns, Dreamweb (GAME RULED) and Monkey Island!

First experience with RPG was on mates PC playing Doom. He was christian so he had to install and uninstall it on the family computer every time he wanted to play, haha.


WAT?


about the last bit? yeah his parents were insanely strict and everything was of the devil. He had Doom on a few discs (or one? I cant remember how many discs it was) so he could only play it by sneaking it onto the computer when his parents were asleep or out, haha.


nah about you mixed up your RPGs ad FPSs
ImageImageImage

User avatar
Phlegethon
Posts: 4518
Joined: Sat Sep 18, 2004 2:45 pm
Location: Well im Peepin and im creepin and im creep-in
Contact:

Re: 30 years of FPS

Postby Phlegethon » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:54 pm

steve f wrote:CS 1-1.6 : AWP


THIS! i hated snipers but that gun commanded respect :lol:

xCaptainx
Stay Cold
Posts: 12163
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 4:36 pm

Re: 30 years of FPS

Postby xCaptainx » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:07 pm

buckton wrote:nah about you mixed up your RPGs ad FPSs


oh! haha, I just read it back and relised my mistake. I ended up sitting there thinking of my favourite Amiga games and listed them, forgetting my original point, haha.

Quake 1 on dial up was great.


Return to “Geek Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest