internet plan

Random stuff about computers, freeware, coding, and all that...
yourstruly

internet plan

Postby yourstruly » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:31 pm

Girlfriend and I are looking for an internet plan for our new place. full speed, looking to pay maybe $60 p/m preferabely less, maybe more if needed. Most likely won't be needing more than a 20GB data cap. We don't need a phoneline if that makes any difference.

what companies are doing good deals at the moment? considering woosh wireless, telecom or xnet, but undecided.

imabadastronaut

Re: internet plan

Postby imabadastronaut » Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:47 pm

Stay far away from Telecom and Woosh.

imabadastronaut

Postby imabadastronaut » Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:53 pm

I usually hear Orcon being recommended but you'd probably want a second opinion on that.

Plus they're doing the Airpoints deal at the moment. Airpoints are pretty fucken sweet.

xSUSPECTx
argumentative cunt

Postby xSUSPECTx » Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:16 pm

Carly Ngarotata-Simon wrote:U misd two commas u illiterate fuk. It should read...mainstream, whilst at the same time, ... Who da dumb cunt now. Im bilingual. I can txt speak n also write in 'proper' english havin bn a legal secretary 4 13 years. So im actualy fukn streams ahead in inteligence ova u. Plus i hav a life! I dnt waste my time typing evry leta out cos i have a life! Dum ass. Peace, im out. Hahahahaha

Spots2012 wrote:do animal rights activists vehemently oppose Maori eating pigs etc, or are they willing to let that one slide?

PertHJ
Inventor of 'LOAL'

Postby PertHJ » Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:51 pm

Thought id bump this thread...

Dude came door knocking the other day from compass advertising $103 for 40gig with phone or $83 without the phone - anyone dealt with them? Any good?

Currently with Orcon, who have been really good (although seems to have been crapping out lately/could be the modem?) - getting 26 gig for $96 (I think?), but they've just advertised $107 for 40gig.

Any other good plans for Auckland central (Grafton)?
http://hungjurynz.bandcamp.com/
http://www.discogs.com/user/pertHJ

Drinking beers, hell yeah!! Smoking dope, KICK TO THROAT!!

Resin

Postby Resin » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:26 pm

Nah stay away from Compass,we had them at work for awhile and it was shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.
xDavex wrote:First time i've gotten into him really hard

Lurch

Postby Lurch » Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:03 am

If I ever meet someone who is involved with Compass I will stab them. They are that bad.

I don't even want to ring them up and threaten them with The Consumer Guarantees Act or try to blackmail them anymore because talking to them on the phone is far too painful.

I even wrote a huge rant about exactly how shit they are which you can look at if you like. I am that cool. Link in sig.

PertHJ
Inventor of 'LOAL'

Postby PertHJ » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:35 am

Duly noted!
http://hungjurynz.bandcamp.com/
http://www.discogs.com/user/pertHJ

Drinking beers, hell yeah!! Smoking dope, KICK TO THROAT!!

refrigerator

Postby refrigerator » Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:41 pm

try slingshot

Rizzo

Postby Rizzo » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:16 am

I 80% of the time Slingshot is totally sweet. 20% of the time you'll have an experience very similar to Lurch's compass experience. If it gets connected up correctly first time then you're all good. It's a gamble really. Odds are in your favour though.
General Mutante wrote:Turning the other cheek is for christians and other assorted boring cunts. Bring on the hate. SACRIFICE THE GOLDEN CHILD!

akaxo wrote:if metal isn't elitist it is false

refrigerator

Postby refrigerator » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:46 am

I was with slingshot from 04-08 and had about 3 relatively minor problems overall.
that was in hamilton though

yourstruly

Postby yourstruly » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:31 pm

Ended up going with the Orcon no phone line 25GB plan for $85p/m including the wireless modem rental. Pretty happy with it so far. There's probably something cheaper, but we just wanted anything as using net cafes was getting expensive. Plus facebook addiction has pretty much made going an entire day without internet impossible.

I am Sancho

Postby I am Sancho » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:58 pm

Move to Australia because the internet is cheap as fuck.

Lurch

Postby Lurch » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:19 pm

Rizzo: backed. We had slingshot back in the dark ages of dial-up (got shoved onto there when I4Free wrapped up) and that was 100% all right. Recently though a good friend of ours got royally fucked by them when setting up at a new place. She's self employed / works from home and it really stuffed up her cashflow.

When I finally get around to having another fight with Compass (Or the contract runs out... don't see that happening) then it looks like Orcon is the way forward.

yourstruly

Postby yourstruly » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:55 pm

The Orcon wireless modems are real fancy, i got the white one. But my sisters flat has a black one, which is fancier apparently.
Haven't been able to get my girlfriends computer onto it yet though, as our network doesn't show in the list. I think i made ours hidden when i set it all up, but i remember her friend got onto it with her iPhone. So i don't know what the deal is. Would be nice not having to share my computer (i hate sharing).

Return to “Geek Forum”