Your lastest geek-tech acquisitions/cost thread.

Random stuff about computers, freeware, coding, and all that...
hiv-positive

Re: Your lastest geek-tech acquisitions/cost thread.

Postby hiv-positive » Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:48 pm

Picked up a Samsung Story 2TB external for $99. First venture out of WD world, so I was a bit wary, but the reviews are positive. Cue 40 hours of mindlessly file copying.

jords

Postby jords » Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:42 pm

Samsung 32" LCD from Harveys, not 1080, but games still look good.....better then a 21" CRT

cheese

Postby cheese » Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:39 pm

wouldn't worry too much about 1080p. Most games display at 720p max.
Back 2 Life wrote:cheese is better

snuff
Information Highway Patrol

Postby snuff » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:57 am

I guess you really need to ask yourself... What Would Graeme Do?

mmmm....good crack

Postby mmmm....good crack » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:15 pm

SF2 Hyper Fighting PCB, 2 sanwa jlf joysticks, bunch of sanwa buttons.

all up about $300

Marrow
real poo particles

Postby Marrow » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:25 pm

and some fan upgrades, and a new 69xx series card, all in preparation for the huge amount of Q1/2 releases this year

Andrew_TA

Postby Andrew_TA » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:00 pm

40in Sony LCD

New TV, and I had enough spare computer parts around to build a HTPC. Running media portal, pretty damn sweet.

Devon

Postby Devon » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:41 pm

got given a mini mac recently. Chucked plex up it's guts. Awesome. Makes it easier to choose what to watch.
Pipiru piru piru pipiru pi

geneterror666
Six Button Terrorist

Postby geneterror666 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:41 pm

Like I really needed another one...:)

Brinn

Postby Brinn » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:22 pm

2GB Sapphire HD 6950 for $436 - unlocked it to 6970 straight away, works perfectly
Got another 22" monitor on trademe for $150
Stands for the monitors $150

Eyefinity is fucking awesome.

Also got a supermicro atom motherboard with 2GB of RAM for $170, paired it with a nice Seasonic SF12II Bronze 420W PSU.
Running it as a seedbox and NAS/Media Server, got one of the new AppleTV2s running XBMC in the lounge.

^^ pretty much why no ones really seen me lol.

mmmm....good crack

Postby mmmm....good crack » Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:24 am

Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo (well grandmaster challenge, what it was called in Japan)

With A & B Boards cost me $320nz from aussie, sounds dear for game over 15 years old, but is a pretty good price, theres a couple on ebay for around $390 USD....

:D

Edit:

and a Panasonic TH-L32X20Z 32 inch LCD TV, bought it to start a scratch built vewlix clone similar to this..

Its an IPS Pro panel, so should be fairly close to lag free...
:mrgreen:

ZPG

Postby ZPG » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:33 pm

Aquired this off trademe for a total of $15

has mx blacks in it, feels lovely. mmmmmmmmmmmmm
ImageImage

mmmm....good crack

Postby mmmm....good crack » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:05 pm

new pcb today

$200, stoked.

beef666
<3 tofu

Postby beef666 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:34 am

My steelseries ikari laser, plays games awesomely, though next time i might go for a smaller mouse. This thing is chunk as.
http://www.myspace.com/abortedchristians666

dimery wrote: no beef with nobody, down for whatever, smoke weed every day

Lurch wrote:Zane has a secret Fred Durst shrine in his room. True story.

cheese

Postby cheese » Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:07 am

Brinn wrote:Image

Those logitech 2.1 speakers are surprising awesome too. Amazing bass. Crank as loud as you can with no distortion. Impressive for $130
Back 2 Life wrote:cheese is better

Lummoxgrinder

Postby Lummoxgrinder » Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:38 am

Just got one these. Total Android noob though. It's a pretty sweet OS. Only dilemma I'm facing is whether to root or not to root. If I root I lose my warranty but if I dont root I have to put up with all the bloated crap that came on the phone...

Marrow
real poo particles

Postby Marrow » Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:00 pm

Root it, most major failures will be covered by warranty anyway, because you have to be able to run the phone to tell it's rooted. If it's a small failure, and you want warranty, just make sure the chip is wrecked.
Dead Kid wrote:Just leave your friends at home this time eh... Spelling-Mistake Chris, Hit On All The Moderators Chris, Anti-Social Chris, and I think that's when Make-Every-Thread-Twice-As-Long-As-It-Needs-To-Be Chris showed up. I'm telling you, you've got to sort your foruming out bro
PertHJ wrote:You can't drink your coffee and fuck it too

Lummoxgrinder

Postby Lummoxgrinder » Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:07 pm

Kinda want to install CM7 on it. I'm not using any of the motoblur crap that came with it. Got it running pretty sweet at the moment.

Fiction & Falsehood

Postby Fiction & Falsehood » Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:44 pm

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2388857,00.asp
just bought two of these in 8gb, gunna chuck em on a plug chain and wear them like dogtags.

couldnt find them in red like the above article unfortunately, i think thats only the 32gb model, they come in these gay colours:

so i just got black

“There is something beautiful in seeing the poor accept their lot, to suffer it like Christ’s Passion. The world gains much from their suffering,” -Mother Theresa

hiv-positive

Postby hiv-positive » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:08 pm

Picked out an Asus Eee PC Seashell thingy for Xmus, but stupidly didn't do any research whatsoever about Windows 7 Starter and had to hunt out a program to work around the lack of being able to change your desktop background. Still, $250 is decent.

It's perfectly fine for the purpose I wanted it for - net, movies, music - though Ill be chucking a 2 gig ram stick in it because the cunt hangs a bit more often than I'd like.

Marrow
real poo particles

Postby Marrow » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:22 pm

Killed my laptop, so grabbed a new one from JBHIFI. It runs skyrim, which is basically all I want to play on it at the moment, but before I knew it could run that I installed all my old-school gems like KOTOR and Baldurs Gate. Sorted for courses now.
Dead Kid wrote:Just leave your friends at home this time eh... Spelling-Mistake Chris, Hit On All The Moderators Chris, Anti-Social Chris, and I think that's when Make-Every-Thread-Twice-As-Long-As-It-Needs-To-Be Chris showed up. I'm telling you, you've got to sort your foruming out bro
PertHJ wrote:You can't drink your coffee and fuck it too

Fiction & Falsehood

Postby Fiction & Falsehood » Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:28 pm

hiv-positive wrote:Picked out an Asus Eee PC Seashell thingy for Xmus, but stupidly didn't do any research whatsoever about Windows 7 Starter and had to hunt out a program to work around the lack of being able to change your desktop background. Still, $250 is decent.

It's perfectly fine for the purpose I wanted it for - net, movies, music - though Ill be chucking a 2 gig ram stick in it because the cunt hangs a bit more often than I'd like.

how would you compare this to the transformer?
i realise they are a wee bit apples and oranges, with the transformer youre paying for the gimmick of the tablet as much as anything, but the cost isnt especially more, and while the lack of an onboard harddrive is something, externals are affordable enough that its kinda worth having that gimmick, oh and i do mean WITH the keyboard attachment, as much as that drives up the price.

been trying to make a photo of my USB dogtags, but my eeepc 1000h(a real trooper of a computer this guy) is in a funny as position and is kinda stuck there cos i broke its screen so its plugged into a monitor and keyboard/mouse/external, etc, so using its camera is much more of a mission than one might think.
but they are fucking cool, kinda wish id splurged and got 16gigs on each tho, 8gb only takes so many cartoons
“There is something beautiful in seeing the poor accept their lot, to suffer it like Christ’s Passion. The world gains much from their suffering,” -Mother Theresa

mmmm....good crack

Postby mmmm....good crack » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:54 pm

sega new astro city. Stoked

hiv-positive

Postby hiv-positive » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:01 pm

Fiction & Falsehood wrote:
hiv-positive wrote:Picked out an Asus Eee PC Seashell thingy for Xmus, but stupidly didn't do any research whatsoever about Windows 7 Starter and had to hunt out a program to work around the lack of being able to change your desktop background. Still, $250 is decent.

how would you compare this to the transformer?
i realise they are a wee bit apples and oranges, with the transformer youre paying for the gimmick of the tablet as much as anything, but the cost isnt especially more, and while the lack of an onboard harddrive is something, externals are affordable enough that its kinda worth having that gimmick, oh and i do mean WITH the keyboard attachment, as much as that drives up the price.

been trying to make a photo of my USB dogtags, but my eeepc 1000h(a real trooper of a computer this guy) is in a funny as position and is kinda stuck there cos i broke its screen so its plugged into a monitor and keyboard/mouse/external, etc, so using its camera is much more of a mission than one might think.
but they are fucking cool, kinda wish id splurged and got 16gigs on each tho, 8gb only takes so many cartoons

Those Transformers are awesome, from what I've seen of them. You'd definitely want the keyboard bundle for ease of use and the extra battery life. I like this Seashell, but it is limited by 7 starter and does struggle a wee bit at times. Perfect for exactly what I got it for, but that's really it. I would have picked the Transformer over it, but I didn't pay for it, so... I think I'll wait for the next gen of Asus tablets to come out and then pick up an old one on sale along with a USB3 portable drive.

Fiction & Falsehood

Postby Fiction & Falsehood » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:17 pm

thats pretty much what ive decided to do, im not working so i cant really afford shit right now, there are some cheap e-readers i can get to satisfy my desire to be a super hip technology savvy guy for the time being.

and these dogtag USBs are pretty much the shit, so handy, never lost... look cool, pretty stoked.

geneterror666
Six Button Terrorist

Postby geneterror666 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:04 pm

hiv-positive wrote:so... I think I'll wait for the next gen of Asus tablets to come out and then pick up an old one on sale along with a USB3 portable drive.

I have an Asus Transformer and that shit is awesome. The next gen one just came out Transformer Prime.
http://eee.asus.com/eeepad/transformer-prime/features/

Fiction & Falsehood

Postby Fiction & Falsehood » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:07 pm

oh fuck... i want it...

snuff

Postby snuff » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:00 am

Yeah I'm picking up a Transformer Prime in the next week or so now that they've finally gone retail here.

ICS drops for the TF101 in the next couple weeks too so hopefully that should make moving all my apps from one to the other a whole lot easier.

snuff

Postby snuff » Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:24 am

So never got around to the prime, latest couple toys...

ZPG

Postby ZPG » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:57 pm

snuff wrote:So never got around to the prime, latest couple toys...

balla
ImageImage

Return to “Geek Forum”