Street Fighter 4!

Random stuff about computers, freeware, coding, and all that...
ghetto ninja

Re: Street Fighter 4!

Postby ghetto ninja » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:21 am

Just cant find the right moment right now, agrovating as shit!
Martyrdamn wrote:Said 'hey baby gurl' to about seven girls tonight,
turns out girls don't like guys talking about getting up in their guts,
fagets, right.

geneterror
Six Button Terrorist

Postby geneterror » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:56 am

ghetto ninja wrote:Is there anyway to avoid Akumas ultras? Cant get away from that shit.

Which one Ultra 1 or Ultra 2?
Ultra 1 (Wrath of the Raging Demon) is easy, fuck timing just jump straight up when they activate it and it will float right under you. There are only about 3 situations or setups that are hard to escape raging demon and only 1 of those is near impossible to escape.
1. They bait you into jumping toward them over a normal fireball, they activate while you are at the peak of your jump = you are dead hahaha. This is the best raging demon setup. A couple of characters can kick Akuma out of this but the timing is strict.
2. They jump at you with a TK'd air fireball forcing you into block, they land and activate raging demon. You have to be quick enough to block the air fireball but still jump the raging demon only a few frames later. It's a setup based on shenanigans/mixups and once you've seen it before a few times it most likely won't work. Protip: some people I know that play Zangief, Abel, T.Hawk etc will actually let themselves get hit by the fireball because raging demon cannot combo so Akuma just floats up to them and does nothing as the fireball hit's them. This leaves the intended victim at a frame advantage and Akuma is fucked.
3. Kara raging demon. I hate this one and can't escape it personally, I can't react in time :oops:. Watch the vid below but Kara means you cancel the startup frames of a whiffed normal and cancel into into a special/super etc. It happens fuckin' fast. In the vid below is Akuma's Kara Demon setup. He's cancelling forward MP overhead into raging demon before the forward MP even hits. I see the overhead startup and block high all chuffed with myself that I have blocked the overhead them BAM Ultra
[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gjcx-1PvKpY[/video].
I mean blink and you'll miss it in the vid so imagine trying to react to that mid game.
Really though I only know a handful of people that can actually do this and only one of them mains Akuma and uses it in a fight. I pretty much want to stab Mason in the eyes when he get's me with this though :x

If it's Ultra 2, then just block high or duck. It has a shit hitbox and won't hit small ducking characters and you can block it high anyway. If you're being hit by it then you're getting hit in recovery frames from a move you have just done. Don't whiff moves or fireball at an Akuma with a full Ultra 2 guage.

Eddie, I have 2xTE arcade sticks at mine. You welcome to come over for a jam/training just holla at me. Weed is mandatory haha.
Last edited by geneterror on Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:00 am, edited 3 times in total.

refrigerator

Postby refrigerator » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:08 pm

Is the timing on cancels/combos etc as strict as it seems to me? Trying to work my way through the trial challenges, getting frustrated. Cause I used to play tekken years ago, my brain is almost fused into the 'hit the next button straight after' mode, which doesnt seem to work, the second button press doesnt even register if i do it too quickly.

ghetto ninja

Postby ghetto ninja » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:47 pm

geneterror wrote:Eddie, I have 2xTE arcade sticks at mine. You welcome to come over for a jam/training just holla at me. Weed is mandatory haha.

Too much bro! I'll bring that Filthy Lucifer tape for you to.
Martyrdamn wrote:Said 'hey baby gurl' to about seven girls tonight,
turns out girls don't like guys talking about getting up in their guts,
fagets, right.

muice!
Location: scaff scaff scaff scaff scaff scaff scaff scaff scaff scaff scaff scaff scaff scaff scaff scaff

Postby muice! » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:26 pm

refrigerator wrote:Is the timing on cancels/combos etc as strict as it seems to me? Trying to work my way through the trial challenges, getting frustrated. Cause I used to play tekken years ago, my brain is almost fused into the 'hit the next button straight after' mode, which doesnt seem to work, the second button press doesnt even register if i do it too quickly.

It depends if it is a link or a chain.
SF4 is pretty strict as far as timing goes but there's a few shortcuts to get your links down like plinking (essentially putting in multiple inputs, the one with the most priority comes out first if possible, then the 2nd etc so you have a few extra chances to get a link), negative edge (in SF specials come out with the DE-press of a button as well as a press, so tapping instead of holding gives two chances of link and allows shortcuts- a simple example being st.fierce (push), dragon punch motion (release) and related and probably less useful in SF4 is pianoing which is drumming over all 3 punches/kicks which combined with negative edge will give 6 chances to hit your link.

All this shit is on youtube including the trials.

geneterror
Six Button Terrorist

Postby geneterror » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:57 am

refrigerator wrote:Is the timing on cancels/combos etc as strict as it seems to me? Trying to work my way through the trial challenges, getting frustrated. Cause I used to play tekken years ago, my brain is almost fused into the 'hit the next button straight after' mode, which doesnt seem to work, the second button press doesnt even register if i do it too quickly.

Yeah like Muice! said timing is a lot sticter in SF than Tekken. With Tekken combos you could put in the next part of combo in any time during your current move and they will keep going in the preset combos. Street Fighter 4 doesn't have preset combos though you can make them up on the fly but the balance is that timing is stricter, you have to input your next hit just before they recover from your current move.
ie A small jab into a small jab has to be input quite quickly as the first small jab doesn't put them in hit stun for very long. On the opposite end of the scale if you jump in with a hard kick and want to combo into a crouching hard punch you press the HP later and you have more time to do it as the initial hard kick will put them into hit stun for a longer.
Don't get caught up in trial mode, it's good for working on execution but some of the links they get you to do are useless and you will never land them in a fight. Here's a rundown of how the trials generally go.
Trial 1-9 basic & special moves
Trial 10-14 stupid links you will prob never use
Trial 14-19 some decent combos ending in specials/supers/ultras (most of the good stuff is here.)
Trial 20-24 for the hardcore only, stupidly hard combos you will likely never land in a fight and take ninja-like execution to do.

I have only completeted training with 5 chars to 24/24. The last Cody tiral is INSANE.

Who are you using anyway? Learn your bread and butter combos for that character, work on your spacing and zoning. This is more important than execution. I have seen people that can land the most insane combos 100% of the time in training that consistently get their ass kicked because they don't have the fundamentals down. No point knowing all those combos if you can't get your opponent into a situation where you can do them.

refrigerator

Postby refrigerator » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:29 am

thanks guys.
I tend to be a bit of a completionist with some games so thats probably why i have been sticking with trial mode a lot.
I'm having trouble picking a character that i want to main, there are probably about five characters that i like more than others, dudley/bison/sakura/guile/ibuki. the charge characters are a little more difficult because im not using a stick. so ideally i need to shorten that list, especially since i am still trying to learn shit

geneterror
Six Button Terrorist

Postby geneterror » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:12 am

Well if I was you I would drop Dudly and Ibuki as they require a lot of execution to get damage, especially Ibuki.

Me and Muice! both play Bison, he is a solid all around character but he has no wakeup game, ie no get the fuck off me move like a flash kick or dragon but in saying that if the pressure is on you when you're playing Bison then you're doing it wrong haha Bison is a rushdown character, you need to have your combos on lock and be able to adjust to your opposition quickly to keep them in the corner. It's all about crossups and scissor kick pressure.
I would say go Guile as your main and Sakura as a secondary. I only say Sakura as a secondary because you're still learning and she's a damage sponge. A good Balrog (Boxer) or Bison will tear you to shreds before you even know whats happened if you make a mistake. Guile is a good all rounder and he's not so combo intensive.

muice!
Location: scaff scaff scaff scaff scaff scaff scaff scaff scaff scaff scaff scaff scaff scaff scaff scaff

Postby muice! » Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:34 pm

Learn the engine and then drop all characters bar one. It doesn't really matter which one, but pick someone you at least think is cool so you don't hate yourself for using them in a month and change. Realistically though you only need to learn one or two bread and butter combos, variations/mixups on it which in SF4 is basically limited to tick throws and frame traps, maybe a super setup and the rest is fundamentals/spacing which you're only going to learn by playing people.

geneterror
Six Button Terrorist

Postby geneterror » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:00 pm

muice! wrote:tick throws and frame traps.

This is why I'm playing Cody.
http://www.option-select.com/strategy/article/?a=6

muice!

Postby muice! » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:40 pm

I didn't fuck that combo up, it was a frame trap!

refrigerator

Postby refrigerator » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:10 am

cheers for the advice!

mmmm....good crack

Postby mmmm....good crack » Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:45 pm

Tournament modes out now. Can someone please jump on and add me on xbl I can't get a match MendoPNHC. Ooo just got someone. Still tho jump on

snuff
Information Highway Patrol

Postby snuff » Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:15 pm

I guess you really need to ask yourself... What Would Graeme Do?

refrigerator

Postby refrigerator » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:36 am

picked up a one of the HRAP ex se from firstgames the other day. good times. still getting used to it though.

geneterror
Six Button Terrorist

Postby geneterror » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:10 pm

Well Evo has been off the hook crazy this year especialy SSF4. It's still streaming live if you want to watch the finals today/tonight. www.evo2k.com

Sanford was robbed ;)

Gamerbee! Gamerbee! Gamerbee! Gamerbee! Gamerbee! Gamerbee! Gamerbee! Gamerbee! Gamerbee! Gamerbee!

mmmm....good crack

Postby mmmm....good crack » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:34 pm

jesus that daigo goes alright

geneterror
Six Button Terrorist

Postby geneterror » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:24 am

I reckon he's a terminator sent from the future...this is how he knows what people will do before they do it. It's because he's a machine that he never drops combos.

geneterror
Six Button Terrorist

Postby geneterror » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:45 pm

Fuck Nationals are in 5 weeks and I've barley had time to play/practice since Team Small Diddles GLORIOUS VICTORY at the 3v3 Tourney! Oh well, Simon carried our time anyway haha.

Ben you still planning on coming up and staying at my place, come up early for some training/casuals!

muice!

Postby muice! » Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:36 pm

My leave just got confirmed- Up for a week before hand :mrgreen:

geneterror
Six Button Terrorist

Postby geneterror » Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:49 pm

Bison mirrors on!

muice!

Postby muice! » Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:53 pm

:angel:

I'm gonna be mashing more 3S though, probably the last good hoon I get to have before it's a dead game :cry:

geneterror
Six Button Terrorist

Postby geneterror » Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:53 pm

My current Chars in order of use ;)
Bison
Cody
Rufus
E.Honda
Sakura

Trying to pick up Chun or Sim but I'm not sure yet. Caught up with Andy Zosla today and he's keen to give me some training :) he has a mean Chun.

muice!

Postby muice! » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:07 pm

Too many characters! Too much training mode!

geneterror
Six Button Terrorist

Postby geneterror » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:27 pm

Cody is real good but has no get the fuck off me move and suffers to people with good crossups ie Bison, Rufus, Ryu, Akuma etc. EX Zonk > FADC > Ultra 1 seems a lot better in theory than it actually is, 3 meters on a possibly blocked ultra :roll:

The other 3 are really just to fuck around with but I played all of them since the release of vanilla.

Be good to get some games in soon.

muice! wrote:I'm gonna be mashing more 3S though, probably the last good hoon I get to have before it's a dead game :cry:

Yeah, then what are you gonna do!
Hopin' for a new Guilty Gear?

muice!

Postby muice! » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:44 pm

Wait for an arcade port 3S re-release on a new console :wink:

I think it's safe to say GG is gone for good, BB isn't really cutting it quite yet, maybe give the series more releases and see how it turns out. MvC3 looks good but not sure I can get into the series... I'll probably just play the newest installment in the SF series and hopes SFV brings parries (and Necro/Q) back.

refrigerator

Postby refrigerator » Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:06 am

finally got to have some RL games yesterday. its heaps easier to pick stuff up when your opponent is in the same room. i seem to have improved a little, actually got a couple of rounds on my friend :)

hiv-positive

Postby hiv-positive » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:52 pm

Genius

snuff
Information Highway Patrol

Postby snuff » Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:16 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIziXcIVmN4[/youtube]
I guess you really need to ask yourself... What Would Graeme Do?

BigBadBazza

Postby BigBadBazza » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:05 pm

2 seriously hot girls in that video. shame it sucks so bad.
Salvador Dali wrote:Everyone should eat hashish, but only once.

Return to “Geek Forum”