Great independent Hamilton businesses

Anti-corporate jive and suggested alternatives to help support local/small business.
scheurbert

Great independent Hamilton businesses

Postby scheurbert » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:46 am

Auteur House - http://www.auteurhouse.com/
All the books they have are instore so you can go to 555 Victoria St and check out the book before you buy! They have a great selection of books about Hardcore, Punk, Metal and lots of good art books like pin-ups, Suicide Girls and tattoos. They have some fiction there too (I scored myself a copy of A Clockwork Orange a little while back) and an awesome selection of magazines (I nab Juxtapoz from them whenever I can).

No Way Out Records - http://shop.nowayout.co.nz/
Great selection of punk, metal and everything else in between. Sells vinyl in all shapes, sizes and colour. They've got the two Ghidrah albums for sale on there and I'd recommend those to every one (if you haven't got them already).

Nick's Music Basement - http://www.nicksmusicbasement.co.nz/
Hamilton's newest internet music store. Stocks a great selection of indie, metal, folk and punk CD and vinyl music on there (I scored the Liar's Stumm 287 on vinyl and Genghis Tron's Board up the House on CD).

And soon too open (as far as I'm aware) is an Independent Grocer under Auteur House. You'll be able to score organic foods and stuff there (there's already a shop in Raglan which is quite good).
Fuck your couch!

scheurbert

Re: Great independent Hamilton businesses

Postby scheurbert » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:49 am

Oh yeah, I should also mention...

Mammoth - http://www.mammothguide.net/
Live music guide for Hamilton. Produces a fortnightly print guide to help promote art/music/theatre/whatever shows. Free to list events and everything that gets printed (articles, PDF issues) are available online. If you're an artist Mammoth is looking for art contributions to go on the cover. If you're keen to write articles then get in contact!
Fuck your couch!

Future Shock

Postby Future Shock » Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:23 pm

cool, surely theres morrree?

tanx ta ya

Matt
Site Admin

Postby Matt » Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:28 pm

I had a week in Hamilton a few weeks back and spent most it reading all of the books in the Auteur House. Mint selection.

scheurbert

Postby scheurbert » Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:37 pm

A number of Auteur House's book collection is also available on TradeMe. It's A++ will trade again material.
Fuck your couch!

scheurbert

Postby scheurbert » Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:40 pm

La Commune Cafe - http://myspace.com/la_commune_cafe
Vegan/Vegetarian licensed cafe. Can also do small live music gigs there if you want to put on a show. Very small space though so quite intimate. Has the best hot chips in Hamilton and also has awesome coffee and pizza/paninis/muffins. Try the Mata beer! 244 Victoria St.
Fuck your couch!

Future Shock

Postby Future Shock » Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:04 pm

your such a geek matt 8)

scheurbert

Postby scheurbert » Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:13 pm

F-, will not trade again.

And it's spelt "you're" !
Fuck your couch!

Andrew_TA

Postby Andrew_TA » Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:27 am

scheurbert wrote:La Commune Cafe - http://myspace.com/la_commune_cafe
Vegan/Vegetarian licensed cafe. Can also do small live music gigs there if you want to put on a show. Very small space though so quite intimate. Has the best hot chips in Hamilton and also has awesome coffee and pizza/paninis/muffins. Try the Mata beer! 244 Victoria St.

Backed, hardddddddddddddddddd.

refrigerator

Postby refrigerator » Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:06 am

Good dudes work at LaCommune. We lend them chips all the time

Future Shock

Postby Future Shock » Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:23 pm

you lend them chips?

refrigerator

Postby refrigerator » Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:59 pm

Yeah, chips.

Future Shock

Postby Future Shock » Thu May 01, 2008 6:06 am

how do you lend 'chips'? wot kinda chips? and if they get eaten how do you lend them and why would you do that if they make a profit and you don't, jst nosy.

refrigerator

Postby refrigerator » Sun May 04, 2008 12:59 am

They often run out of frozen mccain french fries and they come and get a couple of bags from us. they usually give us bags in return once they get some more stock (when they remember :) ) they are good dudes so we dont mind lending them chips. plus sometimes they give us beer for free.

Thing

Postby Thing » Sun May 04, 2008 10:42 am

Its not uncommon. Anyone who has worked in the food industry has bound to have done the same thing. Happened at Pizza Hutt all the time. Not just with chips - toppings, boxes, jelly, flour... Managers were useless cunts. Esp at dinsdale - we used to ignore them completely a lot of the time.
Lindsay McDougall (Frenzal Rhomb) wrote:I'm from a punk rock band, it's all about getting your music out any way you can - you don't make money from the record, the record companies make the money from the record. If they can't make money these days because they haven't come onside with the way the world is going, it's their own problem.

Brento

Postby Brento » Sun May 04, 2008 12:45 pm

scheurbert wrote:A number of Auteur House's book collection is also available on TradeMe. It's A++ will trade again material.

def trade again

refrigerator

Postby refrigerator » Mon May 05, 2008 12:11 am

Thing wrote:Its not uncommon. Anyone who has worked in the food industry has bound to have done the same thing. Happened at Pizza Hutt all the time. Not just with chips - toppings, boxes, jelly, flour... Managers were useless cunts. Esp at dinsdale - we used to ignore them completely a lot of the time.

yeah forgetting to order something/running out happens every so often. which is why you make friends with the businesses around you

skeetnigguh
VTEC JUST KICKED IN YO

Postby skeetnigguh » Tue May 06, 2008 9:34 am

Yeah, like when you run out of beers after work you just join the business next door to drank all theirs. :angel:
ImageImageImage

scheurbert

Postby scheurbert » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:37 pm

Independent Grocery is now open at 557 Victoria St. Open times are Mon-Fri 8:30am-5pm, Sat 10am-4pm.

So far it's early days; still waiting on freezer to store gluten-free bread and other products, also vege/fruit boxes will be coming in a fortnight or so but you can register your interest in store and from then it'll be first in first served when they get here!

I also believe that IG is the only store in Hamilton (nay, the Waikato!) that stocks Foxton Fizz (Cola, Bitter Lemon & Creaming Soda). Also featuring from Foxton is flour milled by the town's windmill!

There are also some books in store about vegetarianism, veganism, recipe books and much more.
Fuck your couch!

yellowbus

Postby yellowbus » Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:13 pm

yea we get chefs often coming down to us (Sirocco) asking for stuff, anything really that would be used in the kitchen.

rryan

Postby rryan » Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:20 am

ha. neat

deathrockboy

Postby deathrockboy » Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:09 pm

refrigerator wrote:They often run out of frozen mccain french fries and they come and get a couple of bags from us. they usually give us bags in return once they get some more stock (when they remember :) ) they are good dudes so we dont mind lending them chips. plus sometimes they give us beer for free.

Wow... i had no idea our chip habits were discussed on punkas!

Weird...

Make the most of La Commune... it's not going to be around for ever!

refrigerator

Postby refrigerator » Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:51 am

pretty much half of punkas works/worked for burgerfuel in hamilton.

i almost miss it sometimes.

Dick Dynamite

Postby Dick Dynamite » Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:54 pm

Auteur house needs your business! Come rent sweet movies to help is survive the lean winer season :P

xSUSPECTx
argumentative cunt

Postby xSUSPECTx » Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:13 pm

damn winer season, cant wait for the balmy lager season.
Carly Ngarotata-Simon wrote:U misd two commas u illiterate fuk. It should read...mainstream, whilst at the same time, ... Who da dumb cunt now. Im bilingual. I can txt speak n also write in 'proper' english havin bn a legal secretary 4 13 years. So im actualy fukn streams ahead in inteligence ova u. Plus i hav a life! I dnt waste my time typing evry leta out cos i have a life! Dum ass. Peace, im out. Hahahahaha

Spots2012 wrote:do animal rights activists vehemently oppose Maori eating pigs etc, or are they willing to let that one slide?

Return to “Support Local Industries”