Buy new zealand made. ?

Anti-corporate jive and suggested alternatives to help support local/small business.
akaxo

Postby akaxo » Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:39 am

you weirdos liking commandos. there was a factory shop here in chch for skellerup that sold them and other skellerup shit. that'll be the sandford industries place in heathcote, maybe just a subsidiary of skellerup? i dunno, that was years ago, buggered if i know if it's still there

Pogue Mahone wrote:having said that, ive seen some good homemade panels, the thing is you will never be able to buy a controller, and frost protection might be a big issue, the only real saving you can make is on install, even at trade prices you cant make anything but the simplest panel for less than the cost of buying them.

if youre real keen to make a solar panel tho il give you any advice you want, but il tell you right now, you need free or cheap copper panels and a pump, cos the new cost of both is the killer.

dont make a panel from steel, seriously. :arrow:

cheers. i've seen a few homemade systems too, maybe a bit more of the 'held together with a bit of no.8 wire' type than you're talking about, but it'd be worth doing properly i reckon. at one place i lived for over a year our hot water 'system' was 30 odd metres of black 25mm hose on the hillside above the 'houses' :lol: did the trick though all through the summers but the UV has properly half fucked the hose by now

i'm a couple of years off being in the situation where i'll be setting something up but who knows...
We must secure the extinction of all people and no future for any children

Ph!1

Postby Ph!1 » Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:49 am

well my advice would be look out for old hot water cylinders for the corrogated copper inside, put two equal sized sheets together then you just needa seam weld the edge, put risers in it so the water can flow, and spot weld it in other places to reduce the area of water, then just cold in the bottom and hot out the top.

and the BIG SECRET that i probably shouldnt put on here, but what the fuckin hell, anyone who wants to do this probably deserves this little nugget of info.

do NOT paint the copper, age it, it turns near black itself with age, and paint is an insulater, if you really want, paint the reverse for this reason.

no shit, its why most panels are no longer painted, we use selective surfaces that are 'impregnated' into the copper, if you ever come across panels for sale that use any sort of black paint, laugh to yourself quietly, cos altho it works, it would work better without it.

and laugh at panels that are made of anything that isnt copper too, unless its gold or something, steel panels are a JOKE

another interesting fact for you akaxo, many DIYers think the old alkathene pipe on a hot roof is a clever idea, truth is ordinary garden hose works FAR better, people assume that since alkathene is black it absorbs heat, not in this case, alkathene is an excellent insulater, plus its very thick, we actually use it to insulate underground pipes... :wink:

mind you i dunno about the U.V. ratings of both products, but needless to say, theres plenty of other types of pipe you can use.

akaxo

Postby akaxo » Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:02 pm

fuck, sweet thanks. great idea butchering old hot water cylinders like that, should be pretty easy to do. used to have an endless supply for about $30-40, the scrap value of the copper. and for the paint tip, hadn't really thought of its effect as an insulator, cheers.

i got hot water running in the longdrop hand basin just by throwing hose on the roof so i'll be using std garden hose if i have to rig up something temperory like that again. prob last better in the sun too as it will be designed for outdoor use i guess.

one place i saw had high temperature rated flexible hose wound into coils in old glass display cases for solar water heating, seemed to work ok but wouldn't want a branch to blow off a tree onto them!!
We must secure the extinction of all people and no future for any children

xsfat

Postby xsfat » Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:17 pm

We just installed a solar hot water heating system on our roof.
I remember getting a quote from a vendor who used Israeli panels
Our one is Australian made I think, Edwards or somethin. Any good Wax?

Ph!1

Postby Ph!1 » Mon Aug 07, 2006 1:29 pm

no shit, was it incredibly expensive? -the israeli panels
and were they the evacuated tube type?
evacuated tube is a better system than flat panel -what i sell, its just they rarely last long, chinese evac tubes are like anything mass produced....

well i shouldnt really be shitting on rival companys, and to be honest im not sure about edwards, they are an old well established business....

ahem*

anything works, even alkathene pipe as akaxo demonstrated, its just embarrassing for us that people will still pay several thousand dollars(in almost every case far more than we charge) for an inferior product.

im not talking about edwards here, not specifically anyway, its just a simple fact that solar panels made from steel are a waste of money.

oh and if it has one of those built in exterior cylinders... (which is symptomatic of those old clunkers) tsk tsk, what a waste of money is all i can say :wink:

xsfat

Postby xsfat » Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:44 pm

Not sure how much the quote for Israeli panels were, sent to my parents
I'm not sure but yeah I think ours is stainless steel with glass panel, or something
I did have a post in Miscellaneous but I think you were absent from punkas for a while
Not that it's any good now, how much is it typically all up for an average household with your company?

Danny Morrissey
"elmo fag"

Postby Danny Morrissey » Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:43 am

Number 1 Shoe Warehouse have been stocking Commando M's for ages if anyone wants them, all sizes too.

haiku terror shades

Postby haiku terror shades » Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:53 pm

D.A.R.Y.L wrote:Number 1 Shoe Warehouse have been stocking Commando M's for ages if anyone wants them, all sizes too.

i seriously doubt that, they had some shoes that looked similar but were made in china one time i was there.

Danny Morrissey
"elmo fag"

Postby Danny Morrissey » Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:53 pm

I have been buying pairs from there for a while, definately Commando M's with the nice little sticker inside saying made in NZ etc etc. $40 though is pretty harsh for nostolgias sake.

Someone told me the reason they are still around is that roofers or some shit love them.

haiku terror shades

Postby haiku terror shades » Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:08 pm

cool, cheaper at para rubber though.

Ph!1

Postby Ph!1 » Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:20 pm

xsfat wrote:Not sure how much the quote for Israeli panels were, sent to my parents
I'm not sure but yeah I think ours is stainless steel with glass panel, or something
I did have a post in Miscellaneous but I think you were absent from punkas for a while
Not that it's any good now, how much is it typically all up for an average household with your company?

'average' :wink:

it depends on a few things, but around 4 - 5 grand

couple years ago it was more like 2-3, and prices are only gunna rise.

xsfat

Postby xsfat » Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:06 pm

Yeah, I was quite surprised at the rising prices. I read an old consumer magazine which tested various solar panels for efficiency etc and compared prices. The prices then seemed to be lower than all the quotes. I guess it's due to rising metal prices? I was even more surprised at the lack of advance in technology, which seems to be relatively static over the last few years.
Oh well, no use crying over spilt milk, our old cyclinder needed some attention anyway.

Ph!1

Postby Ph!1 » Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:39 pm

i wish i had the time/brainpower to explain how wrong that is, the technology has been expanding in leaps and bounds in the last few years, thing is, its limited by the conductivity of the metal its made from, and then again by the same problem but in reverse in the cylinder and piping ie temperature gain vs loss.

the basic concept of hot water solar is still the same since the 60's but the fine detail has increased ALOT

the panels i sell will boil a litre of water in a matter of minutes of good sun.. mind you an old 70's copper sheet would have done it too, (in perfect conditions that is, no wind, no cloud cover, no evaporative cooling.. etc etc...) but it wont heat on a marginal day at all cos it loses heat at a similar rate to what it gains it...

i would question whether the consumer magazine even understood how solar heating really works, efficiency isnt in just how fast it heats water... its far more about collection, storage, usage.. i cant explain this sorta thing on here, i need to draw pictures and use my hands :wink:

viability is also limited by the downlay cost of course...

actually the biggest advances are in the cylinders and the temperature controllers, in many ways focusing on the efficiency of the panel itself is a mistake, seeing as the sun has unlimited power, theres always more, you just need to make use of it properly.

xsfat

Postby xsfat » Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:57 am

all sounds pretty much outta my league! so apart from water-heating, what other solar improvements are viable, efficient and relatively cost-effective? I've seen floor heating systems, any good? anything else?

miss heart

Postby miss heart » Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:34 pm

Real Ultimate Shades wrote:
chrisbucks wrote:""

there aren't any sweatshops making shirts in new zealand because they can not compete with the cheaper asian labour pool, though some local brands have moved production to fiji as a preference.

seriously, start naming brands that actually make their shirts here - i dare ya. i don't think i could name more than a half dozen shoe brands that still make shoes here.

Huffer
Federation
Karen Walked

All thier t shirts and hoodies are made locally, although Huffer are soon to go off shore
Life is not about the second chances, it's about a leettle mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land, that, my friend, is what life is.

haiku terror shades

Postby haiku terror shades » Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:08 am

again three is not half a dozen - and if huffer are taking production offshore then the total of number brands named between the both of you that tried to answer is three.

miss heart

Postby miss heart » Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:25 am

Fair enough - I wasn't trying to prove a point by naming those, just a contribution
Life is not about the second chances, it's about a leettle mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land, that, my friend, is what life is.

Ph!1

Postby Ph!1 » Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:23 pm

xsfat wrote:all sounds pretty much outta my league! so apart from water-heating, what other solar improvements are viable, efficient and relatively cost-effective? I've seen floor heating systems, any good? anything else?

well theres photovoltaics -electric solar- of course, but the cost is generally prohibitve unless building a house off the grid.

internal masonry walls, indoor stone flags, double glazing.. -look up passive solar.

underfloor heating is a pretty good way to heat your house, its certainly viable but its very expensive, long term of course its probably the best home heating method when coupled with solar.

nikoli tesla developed the first decent hot water solar panel for steam driven electricity production early last century, its a very good concept which is pretty much ignored these days.

of course with water itself becoming the most valuable commodity on earth its probably no good anyway.

peace_anarchist

Postby peace_anarchist » Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:42 pm

Trade aid does sneakers and are expanding their cooking stuff. They're doing cocoa and olive oil and a bunch of other stuff, also selling books that mainstream bookstores don't sell.
Are the Hemp Store's clothes made in NZ?

haiku terror shades

Postby haiku terror shades » Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:57 pm

trade aid sneakers are not made in new zealand.
infact nothing in trade aid is made in new zealand,
hence the name "TRADE AID"

peace_anarchist

Postby peace_anarchist » Fri Nov 24, 2006 11:08 pm

REALLY?????!!!!!!!
I only mentioned it because someone else on this thread did. I volunteered there for two years. I know where their shit is made. Its better to buy their stuff where the money is actually going to the people who make it, rather than supporting sweat shops where people do the notorious 36 hr shift and have to shit in their pants because they arent' even allowed toilet breaks by the cunts standing over them with guns until they drop from exhaustion.

haiku terror shades

Postby haiku terror shades » Fri Nov 24, 2006 11:12 pm

fuck, sorry sleep deprivation dyslexia... the words in your post jumped around on me :oops:

i'm leaving it up, someone else is bound to have the same brain scamble.

peace_anarchist

Postby peace_anarchist » Fri Nov 24, 2006 11:17 pm

Don't worry I know the feeling. Bloody toddler having a growth spurt waking in the night GRRR! She's gorgeous though. :)

haiku terror shades

Postby haiku terror shades » Fri Nov 24, 2006 11:22 pm

actually, i went back and realised what you were refering to was mentioned in the context of imports vs exports on PAGE ONE of this thread - quote damnit, there is a button right there on the reply form, there is a button right there on the post. use one of them. i think if you actually quoted it you would of realised your comment added nothing to the argument and not posted it at all.

anyway, anyone find any other nz shoemakers?

peace_anarchist

Postby peace_anarchist » Sun Nov 26, 2006 5:02 pm

Hey, it was late at night (late for me anyway) and I was a bit pissed. Unless you're straight edge I'm sure you've cocked up your posts the same way once in a while. Besides, I still think Trade Aid was worth a mention even though their stuff is made off shore. Its a good concept and it seems to be working. The organisation has helped a lot of people.

peace_anarchist

Postby peace_anarchist » Sun Nov 26, 2006 5:04 pm

Plus by the time I got to page 4 of this thread I couldn't be arsed going into page one to quote the post in question because it was late, I was a bit pissed, and my six year old computer is slow.

cheese

Postby cheese » Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:07 am

are moneyshot still around? their shirts were real decent quality. cool designs too. shirts in cheapskates/demo etc for the past couple of years have been utter shit.

skeetnigguh
VTEC JUST KICKED IN YO

Postby skeetnigguh » Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:35 am

QOLOR has some cool nz tee's
http://www.myspace.com/alinghy
ImageImageImage

skeetnigguh
VTEC JUST KICKED IN YO

Postby skeetnigguh » Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:35 am

ImageImageImage

Red_switch

Postby Red_switch » Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:32 pm

miss heart wrote:
Real Ultimate Shades wrote:
chrisbucks wrote:""

there aren't any sweatshops making shirts in new zealand because they can not compete with the cheaper asian labour pool, though some local brands have moved production to fiji as a preference.

seriously, start naming brands that actually make their shirts here - i dare ya. i don't think i could name more than a half dozen shoe brands that still make shoes here.

Huffer
Federation
Karen Walked

All thier t shirts and hoodies are made locally, although Huffer are soon to go off shore

Subtwenty
Seventhwave

A lot of NZ companies use the AURORA t-shirts and hoodies etc that are sewn up in bretheren owned factories.

There are a lot of other tshirt manufacturers too.

Most labels don't do fuck all themselves, just buy pre-sewn shit and put their own prints on it. Fucking easy way to make a killing.
I think it's lint.

Return to “Support Local Industries”