Make your own T-Shirts dudes

Anti-corporate jive and suggested alternatives to help support local/small business.
Matt
Site Admin

Postby Matt » Wed Sep 21, 2005 12:35 pm

Nike only has about a dozen employees. If they saw a shift in purchasing from sweatshop brands to those with workers under different working conditions, they'd be forced to do the same in order to compete. That may mean using domestic labour, or else improving working conditions in their third world labour sources.

It's how markets work, bro. Every dollar is a vote for how you want the world to be. By buying sweatshop products, you're supporting that approach and forcing companies who treat their workers appropriately out of business.

chrisbucks

Postby chrisbucks » Wed Sep 21, 2005 4:20 pm

studdedbeltandblackjeans wrote:do you not understand? say if no one supported nike, it would eventually close down, and the sweatshop workers would be without ajob, meanign the $2 a day they get with which they survive by, would be gone, meanign THEY DIE!!! i am not sayign sweatshops are a good thing, but not buyign the multi corps clothes will not make it better. YES buying a cheaper warehouse sweatshop shirt is better at $3 than buying a rip curl/nike shirt for $80, but not buying them will nto fix anything. buying them will ALSO not fix anything, government

You seem a little confused, the warehouse shirt and the nike shirt came from the same factory, most likely made by the same person. The difference is, that the warehouse makes $8 of the $8.30 from the casual concepts range of tshirts, and in the nike case, nike makes $80 from the $85 singlet or running shorts you just purchased.

Not buying stuff at Nike will not force them to close down, that makes no sense in for the business. Rather they would change their business strategy and price models to afford unionized labour.

It seems you like to live like this: "they have to give up their rights and their safety so I can wear some brand label clothing"
You're a worthless excuse for a human being, and no right fucking coming on a punk forum and trying to think you're anything like the people here.

studdedbeltandblackjeans wrote: we studied this in geography this year at uni.

Wow now you know everything your lecturers told you.
‹Rob Anybody› yeh that is an implied threat... an almost threat, god you need to research what a threat is you spinless waterballon man

021 1458835

Dick Dynamite

Postby Dick Dynamite » Wed Sep 21, 2005 7:17 pm

BanalityDUFF wrote:that would involve owning a sewing machine/knowing where to get material.

Never seen a fabric store? :roll:

I'd like to make my own t-shirts, but really need access to a better sewing machine to handle the stretchy fabric.

xsfat

Postby xsfat » Wed Sep 21, 2005 9:54 pm

haha, come on guys, hear me out
1) consumers dont consume
2) thus workers DIE
3) thus naked consumers
what the fuck do you not understand
we studied this in geography this year at uni

another lesson why uni is just over-rated

a.p.9.e.r
messageboard troll

Postby a.p.9.e.r » Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:40 pm

But even if studdedbeltandblackjeans stops buying Nike they'll still make money off his Chucks. :)

In some respects sweatshops are better than the alternative than those workers have the option of taking, e.g prosititution. Still fucked up and wrong and more people need to be Trey in Baseketball.
The NZ Gov't stepping in won't do shit. Besides, the US will do it for the world when WalMart officially becomes part of China.

YOU CANNOT TAKE OUR WALMART.

That'd be pretty cool. A war started over a chain-store.

BanalityDUFF

Postby BanalityDUFF » Thu Sep 22, 2005 7:35 am

Dick Dynamite wrote:
BanalityDUFF wrote:that would involve owning a sewing machine/knowing where to get material.

Never seen a fabric store? :roll:

I'd like to make my own t-shirts, but really need access to a better sewing machine to handle the stretchy fabric.

well, no. i probaly have but never cared to know whats actually in the store. i usually only go to certain stores - ive never had to buy material thus no material stores.

i know where a seweing shop is though, not sure if they sell material or they just sew/hem your stuff.

my mum would probaly know where one is, but she sold her last sewing machine so i'd have to needle'n thread it ^^

A war started over a chain-store.

id fight it. atleast its not a war over oil or race. o_O

crain
niggativity scene

Postby crain » Thu Sep 22, 2005 9:56 am

Matt wrote:Nike only has about a dozen employees.

nah, they have way more than that...100s of employees, just don't really have any manufacturing plants.

LegDog

Postby LegDog » Thu Sep 22, 2005 2:54 pm

The politics of the whole sweatshop thing is way more complicated than most people think. There are instances where companies have raised the wages/standard of living in their sweatshops, only to find that many of their employees were being systematically murdered by the unemployed 8O
The Real JeffJack wrote:Dude I am a legend on here, your just a suprise kinder chocolate with a gay toy at the end of the munch.

xsfat

Postby xsfat » Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:03 pm

for me, its not about pay, money is only relative, its about human rights and dignity
its about unionisation so workers can voice their concerns and not fear reprisal
systematically murdered? care to post a link
cuz u know, unemployed people commiting crimes isnt much of a shock really

Matt
Site Admin

Postby Matt » Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:08 pm

Crain wrote:
Matt wrote:Nike only has about a dozen employees.

nah, they have way more than that...100s of employees, just don't really have any manufacturing plants.

Really? I'm pretty sure there's only a handful of them and everything else - from manufacture to marketing - is outsourced. They were held up as the paragon of the modern way of doing business...by buying the expertise at the cheapest price.

crain
niggativity scene

Postby crain » Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:18 pm

they have an office in akl that my friends mum works for, yes, for their size they have a massively small number of employees, but it's more than a hand full.

dave-brown

Postby dave-brown » Thu Sep 22, 2005 8:45 pm

i try to buy my shirts from a 2nd hand store, it mite still be produced in a sweat shop but they dont profit off me, fuckers. plus material paint is at ur local craft store, although spotlight has pretty much desteroyed the local craft store im sure u could find one if u looked hard enough. screw screen printing, diy.
read No Logo by Naomi Klein, im in the midst right now, it really opens your eyes to the way corporations like nike and the such work.

crain
niggativity scene

Postby crain » Thu Sep 22, 2005 8:52 pm

dave-brown wrote:read No Logo by Naomi Klein, im in the midst right now, it really opens your eyes to the way corporations like nike and the such work.

i don't think i got anything new out of that book unless you count a strong dislike for her as being worthwhile.

a.p.9.e.r
messageboard troll

Postby a.p.9.e.r » Thu Sep 22, 2005 8:57 pm

While Nike may be a de-centralised company they'll still have hundreds of employees. Ranging from designers to engineers to executives.

well, nike.com says 12,000 employees in the US. Forgot about salespeople/reps. Silly me.

Employees: There are approximately 12,000 Nike employees in the United States; 5,850 work in Oregon at the World Headquarters, Wilsonville distribution center, and various retail venues; around 5,100 work in the Memphis distribution center and other retail stores around the country, and 1,000 in a variety of regional locations.

Future Shock

gwiz

Postby Future Shock » Thu Sep 22, 2005 9:48 pm

you say I'm bad, all the person said was make your own T-shirts instead of all this merch shit at shows etc, just not from the warehouse, we can attest.
check the labels, look outside the square and do the impossible, sorry we made that up too and Nike don't own nada, take it back.

dave-brown

Postby dave-brown » Sun Sep 25, 2005 6:11 pm

i don't think i got anything new out of that book unless you count a strong dislike for her as being worthwhile.

fair enough, i havent finished it so cant really say, but im enjoying it and since i am relatively uneducated in that area it is informative as, if u know anything else that would be worth reading, lemmie no

Horus

Postby Horus » Sun Jan 01, 2006 10:30 pm

chrisbucks wrote: . i dont do exposures tho, so i need to find someone who can do that.

You could try exposing it by solar power. Midday sun is best, as its straight down rather than at an angle. Give it about 5 minutes extra exposure time over what you would have done in the darkroom.

VietCongDeathSquad

Postby VietCongDeathSquad » Sun Jan 01, 2006 11:26 pm

Yup, we used to paint onto clear plastic (more time consuming than going to a photocopy place for a transparency, but if ya got fuck-all to do...) then use an oldheat lamp (I think...I'd paint the transparency then lurk off, Slug would do the rest). When I'd get back the screen was ready.
"Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentis telum est"

http://tnppodcast.libsyn.com/

Ph!1

Postby Ph!1 » Sun Jan 01, 2006 11:37 pm

Horus wrote:
chrisbucks wrote: . i dont do exposures tho, so i need to find someone who can do that.

You could try exposing it by solar power. Midday sun is best, as its straight down rather than at an angle. Give it about 5 minutes extra exposure time over what you would have done in the darkroom.

um, at 2pm the the sun is hottest, so all you would have to do is tip it up slightly, i forget the angle, any solar site should tell you its a lattitude thing, probably doesnt make jack all difference tho, say 32 degrees, i think thats what it is around here.

Trinity

Postby Trinity » Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:06 am

Does anyone know of a source of blank t-shirts that aren't sweat shop made?

chrisbucks

Postby chrisbucks » Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:36 pm

I think cloud clothing stock NZ made (doesnt mean they're not sweat shop though). or some other wholesale tshirts stocker in Auckland. Avondale sportsware or something.
‹Rob Anybody› yeh that is an implied threat... an almost threat, god you need to research what a threat is you spinless waterballon man

021 1458835

snuff
Information Highway Patrol

Postby snuff » Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:44 pm

Surely theres some made entirely by machine you'd think now days?
I guess you really need to ask yourself... What Would Graeme Do?

chrisbucks

Postby chrisbucks » Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:41 pm

snuff wrote:Surely theres some made entirely by machine you'd think now days?

still gotta have someone working the machine, and the fabric also needs to be machined and someone works those machines.

021 1458835

dave-brown

Postby dave-brown » Thu Jan 19, 2006 2:33 pm

the salvation army often has blank shirts in their stores. they also give free cans of beans out. nice people

BanalityDUFF

Postby BanalityDUFF » Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:21 pm

just a quick Q . . .

how does everyone here do their T-Shirts?

so far I've just been drawing stencils onto cardboard then cutting them out and using them like that on to T-Shirts but it can get a bit of spillage going on. - spraypaint also fads a little but only about 25-30% of initial colour in my experience then after that they're good to go.

anyone know anywhere in palmerston north where you can buy decent clothes paint? (black is always good since it goes on everything, XXD).

also any alternatives to cardboard? I've been looking around for plastic sheets but haven't had much luck. anyone know where i could get some of those OHT sheets cause ive heard people say they do the trick for street stencilling and i guess they could work on shirts aswell.

^_^

snuff
Information Highway Patrol

Postby snuff » Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:56 pm

BanalityDUFF wrote:anyone know anywhere in palmerston north where you can buy decent clothes paint? (black is always good since it goes on everything, XXD).

Warehouse stationary used to sell good fabric paint.
I guess you really need to ask yourself... What Would Graeme Do?

akaxo

Postby akaxo » Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:30 am

BanalityDUFF wrote:also any alternatives to cardboard? I've been looking around for plastic sheets but haven't had much luck. anyone know where i could get some of those OHT sheets cause ive heard people say they do the trick for street stencilling and i guess they could work on shirts aswell.

i used to go into photocopying shops that did laminating and ask for the off cuts of laminating plastic. they'd generally be happy to give it away as its just rubbish to them. some quite decent size bits too sometimes, up to A3 in size and bigger
We must secure the extinction of all people and no future for any children

cheese

Postby cheese » Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:40 am

chrisbucks wrote:I think cloud clothing stock NZ made (doesnt mean they're not sweat shop though). or some other wholesale tshirts stocker in Auckland. Avondale sportsware or something.

last time i went there they were rubbish. i would like to get hold of a place that does decent quality ones. so hard to find.
Back 2 Life wrote:cheese is better

dave-brown

Postby dave-brown » Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:58 pm

spotlight have heaps of material paints. but theyre fucking expensive, and shopping at spotlight sort of defeats the purpose, as they are quite a large chain. i did however get some for christmas and it works fucking mean.

or a stencil and a vivid, is good for patches and shirts. just stretch the fucker over a flat surface and tape it tight

Sweet Tribals

Postby Sweet Tribals » Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:49 am

do you not understand? say if no one supported nike, it would eventually close down, and the sweatshop workers would be without ajob, meanign the $2 a day they get with which they survive by, would be gone, meanign THEY DIE!!!

What do people like this think happened before sweatshops?
Guess
so we can go and kick some Serbian pussy ass.

Return to “Support Local Industries”