'Intense flavor': The $330,000 burger that was built in lab

Share your recipes and great shopping spots with the rest of us.
Lentil

'Intense flavor': The $330,000 burger that was built in lab

Postby Lentil » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:34 pm

LONDON — After years of research and weeks of buildup, taste testers on Monday finally bit into a burger created from stem cells in a culture dish rather than meat from a farm or a store.

The burger was cooked in front of reporters and taste-tested by Chicago-based author and food writer Josh Schonwald and Austrian food researcher Hanni Rutzler.

Although they struggled to decide whether they liked the taste, both were pleasantly surprised at the texture and juicyness given the absence of natural fats.

"It wasn't unpleasant," said Schonwald.

"There is quite some intense flavor," Rutzler said, although she added that it needed seasoning. "The look was quite similar to meat. It has quite a bite."

She added: "The surface of the meat was crunchy — surprisingly. The taste itself was as juicy as meat can be, but different. It tastes like meat, not a meat substitute like soya or whatever."

Funded by Google co-founder
Monday's high-profile tasting at West London's Riverside Studios, broadcast online via streaming video, served as the public unveiling for a strain of "cultured beef" developed by University of Maastricht physiologist Mark Post. He declared the taste test a success.

"I'm very excited. It took a long time to get this far," said Post. "I think this is a very good start. I'm very happy with it."

Aided by a €250,000 ($330,000) donation from Google co-founder and entrepreneur Sergey Brin, Post has been working since 2008 to produce a palatable food product from lab-grown muscle cells. He and other scientists involved in similar projects aren't doing it just for the novelty. They see test-tube meat as a means to head off what could become a global food crisis.

Video: Using cattle stem cells and other ingredients, a group of scientists is working to convince the world that a more environmentally friendly meat is needed and can be made in the lab. NBC’s Keir Simmons reports and Dr. Mark Post, one of the scientists working on the project, discusses its importance.

Meat production already requires more than half of the world's estimated agricultural capacity, and experts say that proportion is expected to grow dramatically in the decades ahead, due to a demand for meat fueled by rising affluence in China and other parts of the world. Studies have shown that lab-grown meat production methods can be more energy-efficient and result in lower greenhouse-gas emissions than conventional livestock farming. Artificial meat would also eliminate the need to raise and slaughter billions of farm animals.

Post's method still requires cattle, to contribute stem cells as well as the fetal calf serum that feeds the muscle cells. But the cells can be extracted from live cattle during a biopsy. Post says one sample could be used to create up to 20,000 tons of cultured beef.

Still it sounds yuck to me

Dead Kid

Re: 'Intense flavor': The $330,000 burger that was built in

Postby Dead Kid » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:32 pm

I'd give it a hoon, must at least taste better than some of the meat out there. If they can manage to mass produce it efficiently, I don't see why it can't eventually become cheaper to produce than natural meat in the long run. Even a small dent in the market would be a significant improvement over what exists now.
General Mutante wrote:"So you think you're floating in mint sauce son"
After the abandoned potato tree

Philfy Vermin
Location: pointing two fingers at head and making 'peow' noises

Postby Philfy Vermin » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:41 pm

i think this is great, people will moan about test tube meat but the stuff they eat now is grosser, so they will get used to it.
people will still eat real meat, but this might put an end to the factory farm industry in developed nations.
Hail to the demons of the earth and kaos anarchy and destruction to those who exploit our human rights and starve the poor and make us suffer for the dead now walk the earth the armys of the dead hail vampires and all creatures of the night hail to the white moon and drtink the blood of our enimies and paint the town red

General Mutante wrote:You're so controversial. I can't handle it.

FC
Orange Ska Dork

Postby FC » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:47 pm

Brilliant idea, hope they can overcome the cost issues in the near future. I like meat, I want to eat meat, but if it means they can do it without killing so many animals then I don't really see a problem with that.

If you don't want to eat meat, I don't see why you'd even bother having an opinion on this.
PertHJ wrote:I disagree with Aidans divergence from ska music, but agree with his correct use of scientific terms

Ois II Men|Hatewanx|XfrankgrimesX

mmmm....good crack

Postby mmmm....good crack » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:57 pm

Nah, cos they have to decide whether they fuck with it or not. My guess will be some will, some won't.

FC
Orange Ska Dork

Postby FC » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:07 pm

what like, mince dildos or something? Seems messy.
PertHJ wrote:I disagree with Aidans divergence from ska music, but agree with his correct use of scientific terms

Ois II Men|Hatewanx|XfrankgrimesX

Philfy Vermin

Postby Philfy Vermin » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:15 pm

being vegan isnt about an ethical diet, its about having an opinion on things.

seriously tho, altho this stuff isnt vegan, it might challenge the point of veganism to some extent, if nothing has to be killed or harmed then it seems as ethical as the next thing, if they can make dairy in this manner then veganism might become solely the province of nazis and johos.
Hail to the demons of the earth and kaos anarchy and destruction to those who exploit our human rights and starve the poor and make us suffer for the dead now walk the earth the armys of the dead hail vampires and all creatures of the night hail to the white moon and drtink the blood of our enimies and paint the town red

Dixon Cider A.C.

Postby Dixon Cider A.C. » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:17 am

Still sounds gross regardless of cruelty

Agnes

Postby Agnes » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:33 pm

This is highly unethical. Those poor scientists forced to toil away in a badly lit lab for a pointless cause.

Philfy Vermin

Postby Philfy Vermin » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:26 pm

:lol:

Return to “Vegetarian and Vegan”