(vegan) boilup.

Share your recipes and great shopping spots with the rest of us.
Philfy Vermin
Location: pointing two fingers at head and making 'peow' noises

(vegan) boilup.

Postby Philfy Vermin » Sat May 04, 2013 12:10 pm

so im pretty close to perfecting my vegan boilup, tho i havnt yet cracked a good replacement for the bacon bones that flavour the whole pot all bacony, suggestions welcome....

potatoes(also kumara if ya want)
pumpkin
watercress(can of course be done with puha or cabbage/silverbeet whatever, but cos of the lack of meat i really would say just use fucking watercress cos its got the mean flavour.
gyoza dumplings - you can make your own of course, havnt yet, but want to.
broccoli
salt and pepper.
worchestershire sauce(and yes, there is a vegan one, BOSS)

obviously you can add or subtract shit, medicine isnt a science.

heaps of spuds in pot, boil, salt fuck out of it.
about two or so broc, chopped big, chuck it in when the potatoes are pretty much done.
closely followed by watercress, i like mine au natural, no puha style washing, no chucking out the stems(love the stems) but what i do is chop it up into 1 or two inch lengths, otherwise it stays in a clump.
dont mix it in, leave it sorta stacked in the pot, but squash it down to get the leaves under the water if you have to, add more water too whenever you need it, i just keep boiling the kettle and adding more.
at this stage, get at least two teaspoons of peppercorns and grind them up in a mortar, nice and fine, and chuck it up the pots guts
pumpkin next, big ass chunks, i usually dont use much, 1/4 a standard sized supermarket one, but go hard, shits yum.
and finally, gyoza/potstickers/asian dumplings(fuck doughboys, seriously) i use these cheap vermicelli filled ones that are vege, but i see there are kimchi ones, but beware of fishy yuckness in them.
salt/worchestershire to taste, and remember to try and keep most of the shit in the water, tho the dumplings dont matter so much.

serve that shit with fry bread recipe here: http://whanaushow.co.nz/index.php/bread/floaters
you can also fry the dumpling with the bread of course, which is probably better, i just seldom actually make the fuckin bread haha.

note: most people like to have their boil up on a plate without the juice, if youre tryna be a fancy cunt, fuck off cos youre making boil up, but you can drain the liquid from the pot and serve it as a soup appetiser, which i reckon is fucking great, if youve done it right, you can serve the plates with the diff ingredients separated, even tho they were cooked together, cos some people give a shit about presentation, those people are wrong tho, dont worry about it.

oh and if you have some around, fresh kawakawa leaves often go good with a meat boilup, so especially if youre not using watercress, these will give it a yum as flavour, nasturium leaves are good too in that scenario.

do this shit if youre tryna show some foreign dudes kiwi food, almost everywhere has a version of this recipe, so usually they are pleasantly surprised by it ive found, dont be like kyle chapman and try to impress your international playmates with fish and chips, or in the vegan case, potato fitters and chips....
Last edited by Philfy Vermin on Sat May 04, 2013 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hail to the demons of the earth and kaos anarchy and destruction to those who exploit our human rights and starve the poor and make us suffer for the dead now walk the earth the armys of the dead hail vampires and all creatures of the night hail to the white moon and drtink the blood of our enimies and paint the town red

General Mutante wrote:You're so controversial. I can't handle it.

akaxo

Re: (vegan) boilup.

Postby akaxo » Sat May 04, 2013 12:26 pm

Philfy Vermin wrote:so im pretty close to perfecting my vegan boilup, tho i havnt yet cracked a good replacement for the bacon bones that flavour the whole pot all bacony, suggestions welcome....
http://www.angelfood.co.nz/webapps/i/91 ... 810/474626 a few drops in anything gives a nice smokey flavour, might be a start, that and extra salt?
We must secure the extinction of all people and no future for any children

dustbinflowers

Postby dustbinflowers » Sat May 04, 2013 1:17 pm

Mmm, going to try this. Dumplings made with wonton squares and minced mock duck or abalone would be good in it as well
Uncinia vector

Rabooyah

Postby Rabooyah » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:30 pm

bacon bits?
someone makes a vegan one aye?

the croc

Postby the croc » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:53 pm

Try Asafoetida. It's pretty awesome for flavouring and you only need to use a tiny amount.

This spice is used as a digestive aid, in food as a condiment, and in pickles. It typically works as a flavor enhancer and, used along with turmeric, is a standard component of Indian cuisine, particularly in lentil curries, such as dal, or various 'Pappu' like dosakaya, mamidikaya or tomato pappu. as well as in numerous vegetable dishes. It is especially widely used in South Indian cuisine, which is mainly vegetarian, and is often used to harmonize sweet, sour, salty and spicy components in food. It is used to hallmark the taste of Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka, Kerala and Tamil Nadu sambar, a saucy dish made with cereals and lentils. The spice is added to the food at the time of Chaunk / Popu/ tadka. Sometimes dried and ground asafoetida (in very mild quantity) can be mixed with salt and eaten with raw salad. In its pure form, its odor is so strong the aroma will contaminate other spices stored nearby if it is not stored in an airtight container: many commercial preparations of asafoetida utilize the resin ground up and mixed with a larger volume of wheat flour:[4] the mixture is sold in sealed plastic containers with a small hole at the bottom, allowing the diluted spice to be dusted lightly over the food being cooked. However, its odor and flavor become much milder and more pleasant upon heating in oil or ghee, acquiring a taste and aroma reminiscent of sautéed onion and garlic.
There's more to life than thrash
So let's get really smashed
and do the heavy head dance

www.facebook.com/paekakpunkshow

9seconds

Postby 9seconds » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:00 pm

this cant have been that close to perfection, cos now i dont add the ingredients in that order, pumpkin not so close to last, before the watercress, but in reas big pieces, and the broc actually after the watercress, but in very small pieces, sliced up the stem and barely cooked at all, which i think is just an evolution in how i like my broc.
havnt really tried any bacon substitute, but then most boilup i make isnt vegan.

also, the gyoza's are best lightly fried and then dumped on top right at the end to soften.

i have since made my own gyoza, with RESOUNDING success, but they werent vegan, pork mince, but i would like to try to do it.
"Look how happy he is"

dustbinflowers

Postby dustbinflowers » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:05 am

I reckon add some lovage for flavour, ifmaking a vegan boilup.
Uncinia vector

9seconds

Postby 9seconds » Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:16 pm

ive never tried lovage, but i sometimes add celery leaves to stuff, inc boilup, but altho i like it, it seems to make it almost TOO soupy, some people actually drain the boil up, some TWICE!

crazy idiots i know, but there it is.
"Look how happy he is"

Return to “Vegetarian and Vegan”