Vege Garden 2012 / 2013

Share your recipes and great shopping spots with the rest of us.
dustbinflowers

Re: Vege Garden 2012

Postby dustbinflowers » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:09 am

Just a couple of containers since I seem to have to move every 8 months or so.
Garlic in a pot is going well, also asian greens, snowpeas and broadbeans. I think I am going to sacrifice my broadbeans, as they haven't recovered from being hailed on. Will chuck some runner beans in the pot instead.
I also have calla lilies and christmas lillies doing their thing in containers, but have to keep bringing them inside during southerly blasts.
At work it is all hydrangeas, phormiums and calla lillies, so I can't be arsed when I get home...
Uncinia vector

the croc

Postby the croc » Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:36 pm

Just moved into an apartment a few weeks ago. First place I have ever lived without dirt so will get some pots sorted over the next few weeks. Got the square meter gardening book out of the library today so that's my afternoon sorted on this beautiful Wellington piece of shit day.
There's more to life than thrash
So let's get really smashed
and do the heavy head dance

www.facebook.com/paekakpunkshow

akaxo

Postby akaxo » Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:47 pm

was going to get stuck into the garden today but it's pissing down outside...
We must secure the extinction of all people and no future for any children

Fiction & Falsehood

Postby Fiction & Falsehood » Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:56 pm

how much does a pot cost?
planter boxes arent hard to make
“There is something beautiful in seeing the poor accept their lot, to suffer it like Christ’s Passion. The world gains much from their suffering,” -Mother Theresa

akaxo

Postby akaxo » Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:04 pm

a dollar for a bucket and a knife to stab the bottom with for drainage holes can do the trick too

Fiction & Falsehood

Postby Fiction & Falsehood » Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:14 pm

yeh, but i figured it was an aesthetic thing as well, a bucket looks like a bucket, but a planter box, even knocked together with shitty old wood you found under the house looks 'rustic'
my ex was telling me shes using old drawers and suchlike to grow herbs, sounds like it would look pretty cool.
“There is something beautiful in seeing the poor accept their lot, to suffer it like Christ’s Passion. The world gains much from their suffering,” -Mother Theresa

Red_switch

Postby Red_switch » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:15 am

That does sound pretty freaking pricey for pots and mix J.

Gonna start flogging empty pots from Granny's over the next couple of weekends, and will whack together some kind of larger box/raised bed, need to keep an eye out for sleepers.
I think it's lint.

akaxo

Postby akaxo » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:59 am

if anyone in chch wants plant pots i've got stacks of them in all sorts of sizes i don't use and can be taken away...

Fiction & Falsehood

Postby Fiction & Falsehood » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:32 am

if anyone in tauranga wants gum sleepers, they are about $20 each and longer than standard, like 3m or some shit i dunno, varies a bit, sold by the meter but i forget what, its cheaper than anywhere else tho, and better wood.

also im making adirondack/cape cod chairs, extreme lax out version, probably looking for $100 each, dont have a photo of mine, but similar to this.

Fiction & Falsehood

Postby Fiction & Falsehood » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:58 am

pretty much

Red_switch

Postby Red_switch » Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:40 pm

Fiction & Falsehood wrote:if anyone in tauranga wants gum sleepers, they are about $20 each and longer than standard, like 3m or some shit i dunno, varies a bit, sold by the meter but i forget what, its cheaper than anywhere else tho, and better wood.

also im making adirondack/cape cod chairs, extreme lax out version, probably looking for $100 each, dont have a photo of mine, but similar to this.

I made some of these for mum years ago. Quite comfy. I'm gonna get a bunch of old skis, cut 'em up, and make a couply these chairs out of them, sometime...
I think it's lint.

the croc

Postby the croc » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:38 pm

Went to Bunnings in the weekend, bought ten seed packets, 80 litres of potting mix, a shrub tub and a 54 litre fish bin for $65.

You trying to by pottery J?

niXon

Postby niXon » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:08 pm

Spent most of the day in the garden last Sat, forget how long it takes to dig through Auckland clay. Got a decent area dug out, filled with decent garden mix, and planted.

Pretty basic this year, various courgettes, broccoli, tomatoes, chillis, lettuces, spinach, celery and herbs. More of a "salad mix", gave the tubers and other basement dwellers a miss this year.

the croc

Postby the croc » Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:46 pm

I just got the cheap potting mix from Lyall Bay Bunnings. Daltons 40L Value pack for $6.98 a bag. All my seedlings have come up no problem.

Bunnings also have 13L 33cm daimeter shrub tubs for $4.98, although that may be too big for your chilli plants.

I got some really good ideas from here: Image

Ideal for apartment/container gardens.

akaxo

Postby akaxo » Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:08 pm

J wrote:Image

this has got me intrigued, never seen this done before. to be transplanted later? if so wouldn't there be a possibility for a fair bit of root damage getting the seedling out? any nutrients or anything in the water? if there was an easy way to change the water/nutrient mix regularly it could maybe be used to set up a mini windowsill hydroponic garden with the plants left in there, could be good for basil in a sunny kitchen... curious.

akaxo

Postby akaxo » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:31 am

sweet, can't see why it wouldn't work out long term with the addition of some nutrients in the water. i guess you just have to be pretty careful lifting the top part out when changing water...

old school punk

Postby old school punk » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:53 pm

I must buy a camera . This year i decided to try and grow everything from seed so far cabbages broccoli cauli flower and capsicum and beans .They'll took of and there planted in the garden.Tomatoes and corgettes i brought and planted in the glasshouse but they havnt grown much because the weather here has been shit for the last couple of weeks .And lastly most of my spuds are up and hoping will be ready for christmass
Any touring bands coming down south if you need flyers put up i can do it [free]

akaxo

Postby akaxo » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:31 pm

a rule of thumb i use for the depth to plant seeds is ~3x the diameter of the seed

the croc

Re: Vege Garden 2012 / 2013

Postby the croc » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:17 pm

Be patient. I thought my zucchini had failed after three weeks and then it punched through yesterday and is already taller than everything else.

BigBadBazza

Postby BigBadBazza » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:01 pm

honestly J, that is some of the tidiest gardening I've ever seen. I've always got shit (sometimes literally) everywhere.
Salvador Dali wrote:Everyone should eat hashish, but only once.

BigBadBazza

Postby BigBadBazza » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:47 am

i'll sort out taking some photos from my garden here in Motueka, should really do it for my Horticulture course anyway. Lots of cool stuff happening down at the Community gardens too so ill sort out sharing that too.
Salvador Dali wrote:Everyone should eat hashish, but only once.

the croc

Postby the croc » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:28 am

My little setup at the moment. Transplanted most stuff over yesterday to the fish bin. Got mustard, endive, mizuno, broccoli, lettuce and parsely in there so far. The theory is that toilet rolls encourage deep root growth as a seedling grows and then breaks down after planting. Makes it super easier to transplant as well, much easier than yoghurt pots. Going to plant the tomato and zucchinni seedlings in separate pots to make them easier to move with the weather. Hopefully things don't get too badly salt burnt as I live across the road from the beach.

Little experiment growing wheatgrass. Not really sure what to do with it as we don't have a juicer.

the croc

Postby the croc » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:26 pm

Health nuts normally juice it and drink it as a shot.

I cut it all back a week ago and just ate some like that, tastes surprisingly good. Although it ends up like chewing gum as it downt really break up. So will probably just use it salads cut up really small.

I'll be keen for a couple of chillies if you don't want them. Our living room is pretty much a north facing glass house so hopefully should do ok.

yvon

Postby yvon » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:09 pm

Been a bit enthusiastic with the garden this year:
Some koanga garden seeds; Mignonette Lettuce (great stuff),and Port Albert Cucumbers in the back.
Radishes, Mesclun. In a side-of-the-road concrete tub.

The far tomatoes are Koanga heritage mix, so will be interesting to see what comes up. The near ones are family heirlooms that my dad grows, huge beefsteak things with loads of flesh, delicious but prone to some kind of bug that chews it's way into them.

Garlic in front, elephant garlic in back - never tried this before. And a courgette in the pot behind.

Leeks at the end of the tomato rows, with a few strawberries in front.

Spinach in the spouting, still waiting to be planted out, another courgette in a big pot, few strawberries (got a few too many I think, but the slugs are loving them this year, so probably for the best).

The tyre herbs. Sage, thyme, (potatoes), oregano. Only the thyme seems to not be doing so well.

The raised garden. Not the sunniest spot in the garden unfortunately (because that would be the driveway) Spring onions, dwarf beans, dwarf peas, leeks, and cucumbers on the frame (or aiming for it rather). The frame is on a 45degree angle, hoping the cucumbers will grow through and dangle, as we always lose them when the foliage gets dense. So disappointing to find forgotten ones.

Peach tree. (Unfortunately shaded now by a rouge avocado tree which is a pain in the ass). Last year was it's first year fruiting, and the rats that live in the garage got every single fruit. Found peach stones littered through the garage roof. Now it's got some kind of leaf curly thing going on, and I suspect it may be too late to spray it now it has fruit. Any suggestions???

Meyer lemon, getting on a bit now. I hear they have a limited life span in pots? Ours is certainly not looking that healthy these days, no matter what we feed it.

Basil, and more strawberries.

Longshot of the raised garden, bit worried those banana palms might suck all the goodness out of the surrounds, they are greedy buggers. Built that odd looking rock wall last week, think I'll plant some "potted colour" there to attract bees, as it will be shaded once the cucumbers grow up the frame. More potatos in there, the little purple maori ones I think.

Garden lunch.

Carpet rose, nigella, sweet william, and some purple thing that comes up bloody everywhere. It's a pain in the ass but the bees love it.
"All paid employment degrades the mind."

dustbinflowers

Postby dustbinflowers » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:14 pm

Lovely. Sigh, I miss having a garden.

Peach leaf curl- sucks big time. Some tree varieties are more resistant to it than others.
If it is just a few leaves or one branch, remove and put them in the town compost. Clean up all leaf material, last year's fruit stones, and grass from under the tree.
It's too late to spray now, but you can buy copper hydroxide based fungicides (ie, like Bordeaux mixture) and spray in autumn at leaf fall, and again in spring before bud break.
Good luck getting the fruit before the rats do, the little bastards pick them green I think...

Purple thing is Purple Linaria, weedy but yeah, the bees love it.
Uncinia vector

skeetnigguh
VTEC JUST KICKED IN YO

Postby skeetnigguh » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:52 pm

Keen as fuck to do something like this
ImageImageImage

TimShadbolt

Postby TimShadbolt » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:01 pm

Daaaaamn. There is some serious spice and herb action happenin' up in this shit. Nice stuff, J. Tissue/ziplock is my preferred method of germination also. You're the first other person that I've seen doing it though. I can't say I've grown chillis but I've grown a tonne of other stuff from herbs to veges to flowers (actual). I am fiendish for a good garden. Currently I have tomatoes, capsicum, cucumber, spring onion and some other stuff all growing well. I have some experience in both indoor and outdoor cultivation. I know a little bit about organic horticulture but I'm always keen to learn as much as possible. I'm also pretty keen to talk to you about a few of your techy projects I've seen on your youtube. I must get the mighty phaedrus to introduce us properly one day.

:calavcalav:

dustbinflowers

Postby dustbinflowers » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:13 am

Planted six tomato plants on the weekend- Black Krims.

I might be a lazy arse and buy a ready grown hanging basket cherry tomato from the markets next weekend- they are ten dollars and already fruiting.

My Christmas lilies are flowering and my rocket has gone to seed
Uncinia vector

TimShadbolt

Postby TimShadbolt » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:06 pm

dustbinflowers wrote:My Christmas lilies are flowering

Lucky. Mine are well into the budding stage but not flowering yet. You must have a good nutritious growing medium. Although, we've only had two or three 20 degree days so far, so that could be it I guess.

dustbinflowers

Postby dustbinflowers » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:41 pm

I've had mine growing in the sunroom quite a bit- dodging southerlies. To be fair it is only the early dwarf pink that is flowering. The tall pink and the white are still yet to bud up properly.
Uncinia vector

Return to “Vegetarian and Vegan”