Vege Garden 2010 / 2011

Share your recipes and great shopping spots with the rest of us.
akaxo

Re: Vege Garden 2010 / 2011

Postby akaxo » Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:40 pm

def cut the bottom off with a jig saw or something. you risk it getting water logged otherwise, and worms can make their way up into it. and make air holes in the side. i've made a few compost bins from plastic barrels and just cut slits in the side with my chainsaw then cut the bottom and top off. bottom gets biffed and top made into the lid. could just drill some decent sized holes in the sides though, you need oxygen for the right sort of composting to happen.
We must secure the extinction of all people and no future for any children

old school punk

Postby old school punk » Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:34 pm

I read an artcle on composting the other [fuck im gettin old] day and it was saying to layer your compost. As in one layer of greens food waste lawn clippings ect them a later of brown leaves or shreeded paper ect. It also said its fine to empty your lux bag in it ripped up pizza boxes and if you burn non tanilised wood to put all your ashes in there and lastly you can also put the hair out of your brush in there.
Any touring bands coming down south if you need flyers put up i can do it [free]

akaxo

Postby akaxo » Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:05 pm

there's as much of an art to making good compost as there is to making good homebrew :wink:

Fiction & Falsehood

Postby Fiction & Falsehood » Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:19 pm

but with homebrew you get something 40x as valuable
“There is something beautiful in seeing the poor accept their lot, to suffer it like Christ’s Passion. The world gains much from their suffering,” -Mother Theresa

CHINASKI

Postby CHINASKI » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:57 am

Sweet, maybe i'll cut the bottom off.

Thought I could also try cut a piece out of the side (at the bottom) and construct a hinged flap so I can get the compost out of the bottom. COuld drill a few holes in the base to drain excess water - or could chuck a tap at the bottom (did a google search and saw one with). Wouldn't be too worm friendly thought.

dustbinflowers

Postby dustbinflowers » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:21 am

Fiction & Falsehood wrote:but with homebrew you get something 40x as valuable

all depends on your value system Phil- people sell worm juice from their worm farms, and people buy good compost.
Uncinia vector

Fiction & Falsehood

Postby Fiction & Falsehood » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:08 am

yeh, i buy compost, its about $5 for 20kg, i also buy alcohol, its something like $10 a litre, give or take, i came up with some half ass calculation based on that.
“There is something beautiful in seeing the poor accept their lot, to suffer it like Christ’s Passion. The world gains much from their suffering,” -Mother Theresa

akaxo

Postby akaxo » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:26 am

i'd just go with drainage holes in the bottom if you don't cut the bottom off and save the tap for another drum and make some liquid manure. i've got a 200 litre drum i put a tap in that i use for that, chuck some horse shit in it, fill up with water and leave for some time stirring every now and then. drain out the bottom, dilute and use. or if you've got heaps of comfrey make some liquid stuff with that. the tap get blocked sometimes but you can flush it clear with a hose pretty easily. oh and make sure you put it on something so it's high enough to get a container under the tap. i guess if you leave the bottom on you can still wheel it around whenever you want and could just throw some worms in yourself.

been in the garden a bit this week, clearing up a lot of stuff from the summer and running it through the mulcher and making compost. planted heaps of silverbeet seedlings and broad bean seeds. broad beans are a bit crap but just going to leave them on the plant dry, then they're called lima beans and make awesome falafel. got broccoli and leeks to go in yet. had a pretty good spud harvest this year, should see us through the winter and beyond. also grew black beans for the first time for an experiment to see how they'd go. had success, going to grow a heap next year.

dustbinflowers

Postby dustbinflowers » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:44 pm

Oh cool- meant to ask you about the black beans the other day
Uncinia vector

Any Day Now

Postby Any Day Now » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:19 pm

Yay winter veges! I just bought a house so I'm going crazy in the garden, planted out apple, lemon/lime and fejoia trees, just chucked in loads of winter colour. I am really excited to munch down the pak choi and cabbage. All the veges are going nuts, although this time I did take the time to prep the soil by digging in loads of compost and built the beds up with pea straw and good quality soil, plus not too mention the amount of sheep and chicken shit I chucked in the mix.

the croc

Postby the croc » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:39 pm

It's just coming into spring over here (Vancouver), will be growing some heirloom stuff as part of a seed saving collective which will be cool. Amaranth is one of the plants we're saving seed from which I've never grown so I'll be interested to see how that turns out. Will chuck up some picks when there's something worth showing.
There's more to life than thrash
So let's get really smashed
and do the heavy head dance

www.facebook.com/paekakpunkshow

Any Day Now

Postby Any Day Now » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:59 pm

Chur J! yeah, when I was looking, a backyard was a must on the list, good old Hutt, can get everything for a nice price ;) BBQ is on over summer once I build my deck!

dustbinflowers

Postby dustbinflowers » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:04 pm

Congrats on the house, and the garden- it feels so much more worthwhile when it's work on your own place, long term, eh.

Yep, had to abandon my garden- the earthquake in Feb got the land red stickered due to landslide/ rockfall risk, and even if I had been able to hang out gardening, there are water restrictions. So I've snuck in to harvest the last of the tomatos, basil, marrows, pumpkin and Jerusalem artichokes. My new place has a little space for a garden, and a deck that will be good for container growing.
Uncinia vector

the croc

Postby the croc » Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:59 am

Currently seeding chard, courgette, buttercrunch lettuce, grand rapids lettuce, pak choi, kohl rabi, spinach, halloween pumpkin, tomatoes, basil, and rosemary.

My girlfriend is First Nations Canadian and got given some tobacco seeds so we will try that out too. Tobacco is considered one of the four sacred medicines along with cedar, sweetgrass and sage. I'm trying to get my hands on some sweetgrass and sage seeds too for a traditional medicine plot.

clancy

Postby clancy » Sat May 07, 2011 5:23 pm

I had a great season.

I forgot to take photos of the kumara (filled an old light blue auckland recycling container) and still have a whole lot of grey pumpkin on the porch but this here's some more photos.

Golden Nugget

Elephant Garlic Cloves - For planting this year.

Garlic hanging to dry

Raspberries

Desiree and Kowiniwini spuds

Passionfruit

Beans x 1 million

Delphinium

Having a wander in the middle of summer.

dustbinflowers

Postby dustbinflowers » Tue May 10, 2011 4:09 pm

keen to buy half a dozen Kowhiniwhini off you for sowing if you have any spare?

Your garden looks great.
Uncinia vector

the croc

Postby the croc » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:59 am

Things are starting to get going here. The yard in the place we moved into in December was pretty much a dumping ground for a long time so we had to spend a couple of weekends getting rid of rubbish, cutting the lawns and digging growing beds. Still got plenty more we can develop, although the more we do the more time and energy it takes to take care of it.

Spearmint, Jalepenos, Rosemary and Basil

Seedlings. Coriander, Rocket, Cranberry Beans, Halloween Pumpkins. Parsley, Tobacco, Fennel, Nasturtium. Acorn squash, Amaranth, Rouge Lettuce, Courgette.

Nasturtium, Tabacco, Sage.

Trying out bio-intensive planting (sort of) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biointensive. Grand Rapids and Buttercrunch Lettuce interspersed with chard and kohl rabi. Pak Choi on the right-hand side. Having a bit of trouble with slugs. Toilet paper roles to combat cutter worms that were attacking a few of the plants. Coffee grounds and crushed egg shell to combat slugs. Also have a yeast/sugar bath in the back to attract and drown slugs.

Celery. Spinach. Courgette.

Courgette and Tomatoes.

Tomatoes.

Got bird netting over the whole thing to keep out pesky crows. We also can have issues with raccoons too so will hopefully keep them out.

The back yard. Lots of room to develop.

Spaghetti squash, cranberry beans and courgettes.

akaxo

Postby akaxo » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:56 am

the croc wrote:Image
el camino? nice! someone's project? wish i had something similar in my backyard...

the croc

Postby the croc » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:25 pm

akaxo wrote:
the croc wrote:Image
el camino? nice! someone's project? wish i had something similar in my backyard...

1977 Ford Ranchero. They look very similar to El Caminos. My girlfriends graduation present from her Dad. The alternator fucked out around December and couldn't be fucked doing anything about it until now. The top bolt had rusted into the engine block so it was a bit of a mission to get out.

akaxo

Postby akaxo » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:35 pm

sweet, awesome graduation present!

dustbinflowers

Postby dustbinflowers » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:13 am

Are they getting any nutrients apart from water (and light)?
If not they'll only go so far before the seedling starts yellowing.
Are they beans?
Uncinia vector

dustbinflowers

Postby dustbinflowers » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:32 am

aw the poor buggers. Pot them up!
Uncinia vector

dustbinflowers

Postby dustbinflowers » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:32 pm

haha, the sudden rush of nutrients will be too much
Uncinia vector

niXon

Postby niXon » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:31 pm

BUT WHO WAS NUTRIENT?

the croc

Postby the croc » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:39 pm

This is kind of related to J's mad science experiment....so I work in a kitchen at the moment, and there is a gap between the sink and the steriliser where bits of food and water drop onto a piece of wood below. I bent down to clean it yesterday and there is a fucking seedling growing in the muck. I have no idea if the seed blew in from outside or if it came from the food that we serve. Needless to say I left it to grow and I'm gonna see how long it lasts.

akaxo

Postby akaxo » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:44 pm

should chuck it in someone's salad

yvon

Postby yvon » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:01 pm

It's bound to be a tomato.
:-)

They spring up in strange places around the K.A.
Often where someone has puked.
"All paid employment degrades the mind."

niXon

Postby niXon » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:20 pm

I reckon the cats are pissing on it.

clancy

Postby clancy » Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:57 pm

Here's a submission piece I wrote a while ago but didn't email it off till today - I don't think it'll get published so I might as well share it with yous. It deals with gardening and renting.

Purely Selfish

When I come in from a Saturday morning stroll in the garden, I spot the grey, red and orange pumpkin and kumara drying on the porch. They sit there, patiently waiting to enter a soup, roast or any number of hearty dishes to keep us warm while we hibernate through winter. The stroll was aimless; but I did stop to admire a praying mantis devour a caterpillar on a broccoli leaf, and joined in the massacre by squishing any delinquent caterpillars not taking cover. It is early winter and there is little else to do. The vege beds are mulched; the winter seedlings planted and struggling upwards; the compost heap is swelling and steaming with summer excess - tucked in by a healthy blanket of equine manure and grass clippings. Tragically, my only complaint is that the grass is growing so slowly that I can’t even mow the lawns.

Winter is a season for reflection. Luckily, there is much to reflect on. You see, I am one of those ‘twenty-something’ urban dwellers who rent in a city they can’t afford to buy in; but can’t afford to leave either. So, I made myself a deal: find a house with a big backyard that feels homely, and pretend it’s my own.

Home ownership is the small white butterfly of young NZ gardeners. It hovers above our heads, and every time we contemplate starting a small patch, there’s a nasty green bug to deter us. It chews away at our best intentions, whispering, ‘there’s no point, wait till it’s your own place.’ Mostly, it appeals to our ingrained ideas of ownership and the belief that gardening is both time-consuming and expensive. So, to continue the massacre I started in the garden, I’m going to squish these assumptions.

Firstly, let’s deal with the irony of ownership. If I have to wait until I’m neck deep in debt to experience something that offers therapeutic activity, food and the envy of my friends, I feel there is something slightly twisted in my thinking. Forget the concept that you may be adding value to someone else’s property. You’re not. The value of gardening in a rented space is purely selfish. It’s all about you. If you enjoy the activity, if you take pride in growing your own food, or heaven forbid, you just want a fresh piece lettuce every now and then that isn’t limp and tasteless: stop procrastinating and start gardening.

The second assumption I’ve heard is that it’s too much hard work to be worth it. All I can say to this is - start small. There are plenty of veges that grow happily in containers and even more books, websites and gardening articles to guide you in this. If there is a patch of grass where you rent, borrow a spade, dump the first 5-10 cm of turf around the back (wherever that is) and dig over the rest until to can stick your finger into it. There are a lot worse things you can do than spend a couple hours on the weekend with a spade in your hand. In fact, if you’re anything like me, you will feel a lot better when you finish than you did when you started. If nothing else, you’ll be the only one at work the next week with the audacity to boast about blisters.

This brings me to my third point. I’ve heard often people say that vegetable gardening is expensive. This is simply not true. Vegetable gardening is as expensive or inexpensive as you allow it to be. Have you ever heard the expression dirt cheap? There’s tip number one – don’t buy soil. And if you can avoid it, don’t buy compost either - make it. Grass clippings, wood chips, left-over veges, coffee, torn newspaper, autumn leaves, pony-club muck, seaweed; all free, all invaluable. Pile them up and forget about it for a few months. If you have to spend money, buy good tools. I am yet to regret a single cent I’ve spent on gardening, but I can’t think of any other hobby I could make this claim. Too many people seem to think that to start a garden you need a few hundred dollars and a trailer. Honestly, you don’t need macrocarpa sleepers to grow your own veges, in fact, vegetables are much less pretentious than we are when it comes to appearance.

And what if it doesn’t work out? At least you’ll know not to make the same mistakes when you own the place. Grass seed is awfully cheap.

ruff

Postby ruff » Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:45 pm

You could ditch the whole first paragraph... besides that its a good piece, and makes me feel somewhat shit about not doing more of this.

Return to “Vegetarian and Vegan”