Burger King Ad Did Not Belittle All Vegetarians

Share your recipes and great shopping spots with the rest of us.
xsfat

Burger King Ad Did Not Belittle All Vegetarians

Postby xsfat » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:13 am

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/marketing/new ... d=10669313
A complaint that a Burger King television advertisement was offensive to vegetarians by suggesting a new "Rebel Burger" was so good it could convert them to eating meat has not been upheld by the Advertising Standards Authority. The ad said: "It's so good, even the most dedicated vegetarian could turn. Why do you think we call it the Rebel?"

Complainant A Hirzel'Horn, along with 12 other complainants, objected, saying the ad belittled vegetarianism. Many were vegetarian for religious reasons, and the ad was equivalent to saying "this burger could make a Muslim 'sway' while observing Ramadan".

Advertising agency Antares Restaurant Group Ltd, who ran the ad on TV, disagreed, saying it was designed to use humour and hyperbole to illustrate how delicious the product was. They did not accept the analogy of the Muslim abandoning Ramadan, as religious groups were likely to have more aligned sense of beliefs. "We also believe a large number of vegetarians took no offence to this television commercial. This demonstrates that there are wide-ranging views within this community."

The Commercial Approvals Bureau (CAB), who submitted on behalf of the media, said the complaint was problematic, as vegetarianism had no inherent principles, ethical beliefs or systemic political outlook. CAB submitted that vegetarianism was a name used to describe someone with a particular dietary habit, which could be formed due to taste, economic situation, ethical or religious beliefs or for no reason at all. "For a sectarian group of vocal complainants to claim propriety over the whole of vegetarianism is unbalanced, and potentially unjust."

The authority noted the objections to the strong wording from the complainants and their sincere concerns that their choice to be a vegetarian was being undermined. It also accepted that the advertiser had used a level of humour and satire to exaggerate the desirability of a food product, with a sense of the ridiculous. The authority ruled that the ad had been prepared with a due sense of social responsibility and it was not in breach of the code of ethics.

Marrow
real poo particles

Re: Burger King Ad Did Not Belittle All Vegetarians

Postby Marrow » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:15 am

racial as :D

Postby 2010 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:43 am

the ad was equivalent to saying "this burger could make a Muslim 'sway' while observing Ramadan"

:lol: :lol:

FC
Orange Ska Dork

Postby FC » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:46 am

Good result I think, and I totally agree with the bits in bold.
PertHJ wrote:I disagree with Aidans divergence from ska music, but agree with his correct use of scientific terms

Ois II Men|Hatewanx|XfrankgrimesX

the croc

Postby the croc » Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:55 am

I would like to never meet the 13 miserable complainants.
There's more to life than thrash
So let's get really smashed
and do the heavy head dance

www.facebook.com/paekakpunkshow

akaxo

Postby akaxo » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:05 pm

i really don't get people who complain about this sort of shit. if i wrote a complaint every time an ad pissed me off i'd likely get my email blocked by the complaints authority for spamming them. i think my missus has called those twins on the nz beef and lamb ads every name under the sun and a few more too and wished all manner of unpleasantness upon them but never thought of writing in as a poor sensitive offended vegetarian... fucking whiney cunts, as bad as nutbar christians who get offended at the sight of boobies.
We must secure the extinction of all people and no future for any children

xSUSPECTx
argumentative cunt

Postby xSUSPECTx » Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:37 pm

haha i hate those twins and that cyclist off the macdonalds ads, fuckin ignorant swine.
Carly Ngarotata-Simon wrote:U misd two commas u illiterate fuk. It should read...mainstream, whilst at the same time, ... Who da dumb cunt now. Im bilingual. I can txt speak n also write in 'proper' english havin bn a legal secretary 4 13 years. So im actualy fukn streams ahead in inteligence ova u. Plus i hav a life! I dnt waste my time typing evry leta out cos i have a life! Dum ass. Peace, im out. Hahahahaha

Spots2012 wrote:do animal rights activists vehemently oppose Maori eating pigs etc, or are they willing to let that one slide?

Kev Japan

Postby Kev Japan » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:44 pm

Good result. The market will take care of the situation. Any vegetarians who actually eat there can make up their minds whether to continue doing so or not. Chances are, they don't give a fuck about the ad anyway.

Lurch

Postby Lurch » Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:38 pm

The ad annoyed me somewhat, but certainly not enough to get me to make the effort of complaining.

My main point of contention with it wasn't the shitty unfunny campaign that they decided to run but more the shitty product. How could ANYONE realisticly find that crap appetising? If I was ever to choose to start eating meat again BK would not be the place I would start. Or go ever unless I had run out of all other possible options. I would be going out and finding some prime cut organic steak, or gourmet sausage.

Obviously I'm not the target market though. I bet they were successful and got a good 3 or 4 dozen teenage girls - who love ponies and were rebelling against their mean fathers (who only got them a Corolla for their birthday not the BMW they wanted) - to take the plunge and "sell out" of vegetarianism.

Marrow
real poo particles

Postby Marrow » Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:16 pm

bk is all good.
One time I drove 200km just for a rodeo burger
/true story

NezumiNora

Postby NezumiNora » Mon May 02, 2011 10:27 pm

I know I'm a bit late on this one but has anyone seen the more recent ones "This chicken lived fast died young and left a delicious corpse..." or something like that. Now that shit is offensive - but funny as, because I don't even think the advertisers KNOW how funny they are being. Broiler chickens reach adult/slaughter weight in about 45 days, so do in fact "live fast and die young".

Marrow
real poo particles

Postby Marrow » Mon May 02, 2011 11:06 pm

yum.
Dead Kid wrote:Just leave your friends at home this time eh... Spelling-Mistake Chris, Hit On All The Moderators Chris, Anti-Social Chris, and I think that's when Make-Every-Thread-Twice-As-Long-As-It-Needs-To-Be Chris showed up. I'm telling you, you've got to sort your foruming out bro
PertHJ wrote:You can't drink your coffee and fuck it too

Red_switch

Postby Red_switch » Sat May 07, 2011 8:37 am

xSUSPECTx wrote:haha i hate those twins and that cyclist off the macdonalds ads, fuckin ignorant swine.

hahahaha just saw this, wow.
I think it's lint.

Fiction & Falsehood

Postby Fiction & Falsehood » Sat May 07, 2011 12:34 pm

why?
“There is something beautiful in seeing the poor accept their lot, to suffer it like Christ’s Passion. The world gains much from their suffering,” -Mother Theresa

Red_switch

Postby Red_switch » Sat May 07, 2011 3:35 pm

There would be few people in NZ who think more about the food they consume than those three.
I think it's lint.

Fiction & Falsehood

Postby Fiction & Falsehood » Sun May 08, 2011 2:46 pm

yeh... i dont think you understand what i was saying but whatever, idolise your sellouts
“There is something beautiful in seeing the poor accept their lot, to suffer it like Christ’s Passion. The world gains much from their suffering,” -Mother Theresa

Red_switch

Postby Red_switch » Sun May 08, 2011 3:38 pm

I know what you are saying. From a nutritional point of view, the point is not there.
I think it's lint.

Fiction & Falsehood

Postby Fiction & Falsehood » Sun May 08, 2011 4:39 pm

please elaborate, describe the point thy think im making.

scott penk

Postby scott penk » Mon May 09, 2011 7:21 pm

Lurch wrote:
My main point of contention with it wasn't the shitty unfunny campaign that they decided to run but more the shitty product. How could ANYONE realisticly find that crap appetising? If I was ever to choose to start eating meat again BK would not be the place I would start. Or go ever unless I had run out of all other possible options. I would be going out and finding some prime cut organic steak, or gourmet sausage.

i can think of a dude from the old hamilton scene who sold out for burger king.. this was a dude who gave out animal rights literature etc. never underestimate good fast food

PertHJ
Inventor of 'LOAL'

Postby PertHJ » Mon May 09, 2011 7:48 pm

Yeah people sell out on the weirdest shit. I mean Aidan sold out on god with 3rd wave ska, that's not even satanic, or good!
http://hungjurynz.bandcamp.com/
http://www.discogs.com/user/pertHJ

Drinking beers, hell yeah!! Smoking dope, KICK TO THROAT!!

FC
Orange Ska Dork

Postby FC » Mon May 09, 2011 8:00 pm

An old flatmate sold out for sizzlers and pressed bacon/ham.
PertHJ wrote:I disagree with Aidans divergence from ska music, but agree with his correct use of scientific terms

Dick Dynamite

Postby Dick Dynamite » Mon May 09, 2011 8:02 pm

Folks selling out for BK isn't about the quality, its about the accessibility - drunk, late at night etc.

Sizzlers on the other hand.. that is 100% mystery...

FC
Orange Ska Dork

Postby FC » Mon May 09, 2011 8:11 pm

Well I'm not sure they were the first thing he ate, but he ate them consistently afterwards until he stopped eating meat again.

PS: he posts on here regularly too

dustbinflowers

Postby dustbinflowers » Tue May 10, 2011 11:31 am

FC wrote:Well I'm not sure they were the first thing he ate, but he ate them consistently afterwards until he stopped eating meat again.

PS: he posts on here regularly too

Hehe, he always has gone for processed ears and arseholes when he falls off the vege cart.
Uncinia vector

akaxo

Postby akaxo » Tue May 10, 2011 12:52 pm

i have no idea who you are talking about
We must secure the extinction of all people and no future for any children

FC
Orange Ska Dork

Postby FC » Tue May 10, 2011 12:52 pm

;)

luluxiu

Postby luluxiu » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:07 pm

If I wrote a complaint every time advertising anger me, I might get my junk e-mail complaint to the power to stop them. I think I has called on New Zealand beef and lamb are advertising in every name under the sun more than the number of twins and want to get their way all the unpleasant....

Marrow
real poo particles

Postby Marrow » Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:34 pm

luluxiu wrote:If I wrote a complaint every time advertising anger me, I might get my junk e-mail complaint to the power to stop them. I think I has called on New Zealand beef and lamb are advertising in every name under the sun more than the number of twins and want to get their way all the unpleasant....

I wholeheartedly agree
Dead Kid wrote:Just leave your friends at home this time eh... Spelling-Mistake Chris, Hit On All The Moderators Chris, Anti-Social Chris, and I think that's when Make-Every-Thread-Twice-As-Long-As-It-Needs-To-Be Chris showed up. I'm telling you, you've got to sort your foruming out bro
PertHJ wrote:You can't drink your coffee and fuck it too

jont420

Postby jont420 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:01 pm

Thank
Good

Fiction & Falsehood

Postby Fiction & Falsehood » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:52 pm

luluxiu wrote:If I wrote a complaint every time advertising anger me, I might get my junk e-mail complaint to the power to stop them. I think I has called on New Zealand beef and lamb are advertising in every name under the sun more than the number of twins and want to get their way all the unpleasant....

akaxo wrote:i really don't get people who complain about this sort of shit. if i wrote a complaint every time an ad pissed me off i'd likely get my email blocked by the complaints authority for spamming them. i think my missus has called those twins on the nz beef and lamb ads every name under the sun and a few more too and wished all manner of unpleasantness upon them but never thought of writing in as a poor sensitive offended vegetarian... fucking whiney cunts, as bad as nutbar christians who get offended at the sight of boobies.

wat.

Return to “Vegetarian and Vegan”