fat replacements in food

Share your recipes and great shopping spots with the rest of us.
xSUSPECTx
argumentative cunt

fat replacements in food

Postby xSUSPECTx » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:20 pm

i know about all the cooking oils which are perfect in some things, and the fake butter spreads that are perfect for others...
but with all the modern food commonly eaten, especially winter favourites being based mainly around animal fat, its really hard to make certain kinds of soups and bakes without that gooey, slippy, waxy, goodness.
in some cases we can already replace it with something healthy(ethics not being the point here, altho ethical solutions preferred) oily fish for instance contains lots of omega fatty acids which are almost the direct opposite of the animal fats of which i speak.
in baking we have stuff like olivio and on toast ive come to prefer avocado to butter..

but what i really want to know is, is there some kind of (preferably)vegan lard, something solid at room temperature that behaves in and has a similar texture to animal fat?
something high in omega3 for preference, healthy things superseding ethical things being a major point.

just wishful thinking?
Carly Ngarotata-Simon wrote:U misd two commas u illiterate fuk. It should read...mainstream, whilst at the same time, ... Who da dumb cunt now. Im bilingual. I can txt speak n also write in 'proper' english havin bn a legal secretary 4 13 years. So im actualy fukn streams ahead in inteligence ova u. Plus i hav a life! I dnt waste my time typing evry leta out cos i have a life! Dum ass. Peace, im out. Hahahahaha

Spots2012 wrote:do animal rights activists vehemently oppose Maori eating pigs etc, or are they willing to let that one slide?

akaxo

Re: fat replacements in food

Postby akaxo » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:28 pm

depends on what you want to use it for though, pretty flavourless so i guess it could be pretty versatile. can be used to fry stuff in but usually used in sweets though like those chocolate rice bubble things you get at school fairs and the like. coconut oil is solid at room temperature too but strongly flavoured and a bit weird to use sometimes.

any particular use you have in mind?
We must secure the extinction of all people and no future for any children

xSUSPECTx
argumentative cunt

Postby xSUSPECTx » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:54 pm

thanx, thats an excellent start, ive heard of kremelta but had no idea what it was.
what made me think of it this time, was sausages, there are no fat dripping vegan sausages, and theres barely any healthy ones even those homemade, like i said im not as concerned about vegan/ethical as healthy, but in my view they go together.
another thing is stuff like soups, i came across a recipe for a vegan pea and ham soup... it sounded foul, and obviously desperately needed something fatty and/or smoked...
which brings to mind the fake bacons you get, some of them are good cooked under a grill, but due to the low fat content they have none of the versatility of real bacons and hams.
Carly Ngarotata-Simon wrote:U misd two commas u illiterate fuk. It should read...mainstream, whilst at the same time, ... Who da dumb cunt now. Im bilingual. I can txt speak n also write in 'proper' english havin bn a legal secretary 4 13 years. So im actualy fukn streams ahead in inteligence ova u. Plus i hav a life! I dnt waste my time typing evry leta out cos i have a life! Dum ass. Peace, im out. Hahahahaha

Spots2012 wrote:do animal rights activists vehemently oppose Maori eating pigs etc, or are they willing to let that one slide?

xSUSPECTx
argumentative cunt

Postby xSUSPECTx » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:00 pm

just had a look at whats in it, 98% saturated fat.. not healthy, its LDL instead of the desired HDL so.. no good.

xSUSPECTx
argumentative cunt

Postby xSUSPECTx » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:53 pm

found this patent description of pretty much exactly what i had in mind
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/y2010/0143537.html
doesnt really help tho.

akaxo

Postby akaxo » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:29 am

i'd normally just use olive oil in soups to add a fat/oil content. i've made vegan sausages before, just used soy beans, well cooked and blended with oil, salt and a few other random flavourings. and threw in some red wine for colouring. i'd managed to get hold of some vegan sausage skins and made strings of them that looked identical to meat sausages. as they weren't real sausage skins they shrunk and split when on the bbq like the budget sausages that use them, but was fun. still had to use a fair bit of oil when cooking them.

i'd love to be able to make a vegan soup as good as the swede and smoked pork belly soup i used to make a bit when i lived in mot, it was the smoked salty pork fat that did it though ha
We must secure the extinction of all people and no future for any children

PertHJ
Inventor of 'LOAL'

Postby PertHJ » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:38 am

I guess the trouble being that most 'lard' like substances are going to be full of unhealthy saturated fats as the healthy ones, unsaturated fat, tends to be liquid at room temperature. Obviously SCIENCE! has resolved some of these issues as we have products like margarine consisting entirely out of vegetable oils, many of which are made with unsaturated fatty acids.

Products trying to reduce fat are also getting good at replacing fat with 'hydrocolloids' - which are basically fibres from various sources (corn/wheat etc) that are able to replicate the fatty texture - think corn flower but WAY better at thickening/fat mouth feel. But again not really available for cooking at home/not really sure how great they are at replicating fat.

Margarine on the market contains a lot of water (the surround a water droplet with fat and a bit of flavouring/salt so when you eat it it feels/tastes good but with a lot less fat) so to make it healthier (and cheaper for them), but obviously if you were to add it to soups etc isn't as good/have to add a lot. I'd assume there are vegetable lards that are used in baking that don't have/as much of the water added, but these are probably going to be higher in saturated fats - although with developments of interestification unsaturated fats are becoming a lot more versatile.

Maybe If you go to a wholesaler they might have something used by commercial kitchens/bakeries which might be more along the lines of what you are after.

ps. None of this probably helped :)
http://hungjurynz.bandcamp.com/
http://www.discogs.com/user/pertHJ

Drinking beers, hell yeah!! Smoking dope, KICK TO THROAT!!

Dick Dynamite

Postby Dick Dynamite » Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:39 pm

Just get high, then cook a CRAPPY soup, and then use your

xSUSPECTx
argumentative cunt

Postby xSUSPECTx » Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:35 pm

i bet youre a great cook dirk digglermite

xSUSPECTx
argumentative cunt

Postby xSUSPECTx » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:32 pm

everything i look at keeps coming back to chia, i havnt used ground chia, but i think its looking like it covers the soups, and maybe in conjunction with margarine for sausages etc... would be a bit of a bonus if it can seem as fatty as it is nutritious...

yvon

Postby yvon » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:14 pm

Have you got hold of or tried "liquid smoke"? I've read about it but never seen it in NZ. It's a smoke flavouring. I heard someone was making a NZ version some years back but had some sort of problem with it. I've been using a lot of smoked paprika lately to get a smokey flavour in my food, just chucking it in when i'm frying onions is fucking yum. (I'm a BBQ sauce addict, so I use that a lot too.)
I have also been buying a single rasher of streaky bacon to add to my soups too. I figure just one can't be that bad for me. :-D
I made gravy with Olivani, flour, and miso, like you'd make a roux (sp?). tasted pretty fucking good. put it in a pie with mushroom and onion.
"All paid employment degrades the mind."

Dick Dynamite

Postby Dick Dynamite » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:51 pm

xSUSPECTx wrote:i bet youre a great cook dirk digglermite

I'll have you know my culinary efforts are as delicious as they are BOLD. There is no law as to what ingredients should be allowed to mingle.

xSUSPECTx
argumentative cunt

Postby xSUSPECTx » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:11 am

rebel without a taste

SupaScoopa

Postby SupaScoopa » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:26 pm

Not really the info your after, but still on topic

In Vegan with a Vengance and The Veganomicaon - Isa suggests you substitute oils fats with apple sauce or blended dates if you want to cut down on fat content.

Generally blended dates in anything chocolate based, and apple sauce in anything non-chocolate based.

tyrannosaurus mark

Postby tyrannosaurus mark » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:40 pm

Chortle

Dick Dynamite wrote:Just get high, then cook a CRAPPY soup, and then use your

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “Vegetarian and Vegan”