Homebrew

Share your recipes and great shopping spots with the rest of us.
BanalityDUFF

Homebrew

Postby BanalityDUFF » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:31 pm

got given a homebrew kit for my birthday and have just laid down my first lot.

the fining agent stuff that came with it has gelatine in it (so is a no goer), anyone know if there are vegan alternatives out there? or am i having some murky beer parties?

cheers

nicola_yeah

Re: Homebrew

Postby nicola_yeah » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:46 pm

just sit the alcs on oak chips for a few months and make a sweet bourban.

xSUSPECTx
argumentative cunt

Postby xSUSPECTx » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:05 pm

you can use lots of shit, why dont you just google 'beer fining agents'? you can even add the term 'vegan fuckwit' if you want more specific results.

Dick Dynamite

Postby Dick Dynamite » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:32 am

nicola_yeah wrote:just sit the alcs on oak chips for a few months and make a sweet bourban.

Choice bro, I've got a bottle of vodka I don't want, might turn it into some bourbs so I can make me own woodstocks n shit.

BanalityDUFF

Postby BanalityDUFF » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:48 am

phaedrus wrote:"Bentonite is suitable for vegetarians and vegans because it is not an animal-derived product. Other vegan finings used are, kaolin and kieslguhr (clays), plant casein & synthetic polymers."

apparently... i don't know of anyone that has used them tho...

looked into it but don't think i can find any before next week.

the guy at the local home brew place recommended Irish Moss, but you have to put it in when you're making the mix (and I've already laid mine down).

no huge biggy, though.

also, apparently a lot of beers just use filters now instead of fining agents. so i might look into that for the future rather than having to fuck around with putting extra shit in my beer when making it. would be handy to just filter the beer when bottling.

the croc

Postby the croc » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:56 am

I get back to Welly next week so will ask my flatmates then what they use as a refining agent.
There's more to life than thrash
So let's get really smashed
and do the heavy head dance

www.facebook.com/paekakpunkshow

xSUSPECTx
argumentative cunt

Postby xSUSPECTx » Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 pm

off topic a bit, but talking spirits, there are sorts of activated carbon you can use that is vegan, in fact, despite what numbers vegans will tell you, most of it is.
you mix in heaps of activated charcoal into your result, then you filter it thru an upsidedown cutoff bottle leading to a tube(looks like a beer bong) the tube is rammed full of cigarette filters and the bottle full coffee filters...

you can make you own activated charcoal by roasting, grinding and burning walnut shells or similar.

youre obviously gunna lose any carbonisation you had when you filter beer so theres not really much reason you couldnt do reduced version of the above, maybe just use ground chia as a fining agent and filter it thru a couple of coffee filters.

BanalityDUFF

Postby BanalityDUFF » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:45 am

i've grabbed a bunch more beer stuff today (an indian pale ale and tasteless glucose/malt/whatever it's called (the sugar) (rather than a flavoured one) and some Irish moss for fining.

the beer guy said that Irish Moss isn't a fining agent but helps to fine (the internet seems to think it is a fining agent, or at least it fines the proteins or something).

will have to see how it goes.

Lurch

Postby Lurch » Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:19 pm

Just make sure you don't touch the barrel after putting your batch on. All the bad stuff goes to the bottom and as long as you are careful when bottling it stays there. When it comes to drinking time decant into a glass jug (or just a big glass) and leave the rest of the yucks in the bottle. I've never used finings but my shit comes out fine.

Alternativly just harden up already and put down a double batch of stout. (ie: two kits and no sugar)

Lurch

Postby Lurch » Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:23 pm

Also you will want to be careful with what sugars you use. Some white sugars get that way by some process involving bones. Ask your local veganpolice.

Solution: Reinheitsgebot.

xSUSPECTx
argumentative cunt

Postby xSUSPECTx » Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:55 pm

Lurch wrote:Solution: Reinheitsgebot.

BanalityDUFF

Postby BanalityDUFF » Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:48 pm

Lurch wrote:Just make sure you don't touch the barrel after putting your batch on. All the bad stuff goes to the bottom and as long as you are careful when bottling it stays there.

on my barrel the tap is very near the bottom (it's probably only like 3-4cm higher than the absolute bottom) so i still end up bottling most of it, although i figure the first half of the bottles get more and the second half less.

i'm not overly concerned about the murkiness but my wife is. it'll probably just end up that she doesn't drink any of my beer which is fine by me.

Solution: Reinheitsgebot.

ha, maybe one day. for now i'll stick with more immediate (read:easy) results.

xSUSPECTx
argumentative cunt

Postby xSUSPECTx » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:48 pm

seriously, i reckon chia could work as a fining agent, try it with like one bottle

Straight Outta Henderson

Postby Straight Outta Henderson » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:01 pm

I've been making Apple Cider with Keri Apple Juice and just drinking it down and adding sugar and yeast. I add sugar to raise the alcohol content but you don't need sugar to get it to a healthy 4 or 5 percent.
SCOOTER CREW FOR LIFE!

nicola_yeah

Postby nicola_yeah » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:08 pm

if anyone has like any questions i could ask my dad, he is like the homebrew king lol

PertHJ
Inventor of 'LOAL'

Postby PertHJ » Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:18 pm

Ive never used a fining agent or filtered my home brew, I'd Imagine you were probably given the same standard plastic brew barrel that I have - its the one that most home brew shops sell.

Just be careful not to move the barel before you fill your bottles, and when opening a bottle always pour it slowly into a glass before drinking.
http://hungjurynz.bandcamp.com/
http://www.discogs.com/user/pertHJ

Drinking beers, hell yeah!! Smoking dope, KICK TO THROAT!!

Yellow Romans

Postby Yellow Romans » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:23 pm

Finings are absolutely unnecessary! I have been making homebrew for about 25 years and have used finings once, more than 20 years ago. Just let your brew ferment fully in the barrel, and if you have to move it (eg onto a bench) so you can bottle it then leave it to settle down for at least 6 hours, preferably more. Do not be tempted to tip the barrel forward to get the last bit of beer out below the tap line, that will just allow yeast beer to flow into the bottle. Once bottled, leave for at least 4 weeks. Store upright (including in fridge) and when you open a bottle, pour in one go without returning the bottle to the upright position, leaving the last 2cm or so of beer in the bottle as that will have the yeasty dregs from the secondary fermentation.
If anyone tries to tell you that you need to use finings, tell them they are a dick!

xSUSPECTx
argumentative cunt

Postby xSUSPECTx » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:21 pm

yeh, that is the standard home brew way of doing things, when i was about 15 we started homebrewing cos we could buy the fixings for homebrew but we couldnt buy alcohol, i remember we had lots of lemonade bottles filled with beer that we had to pour into pots and pans to avoid the sediment :lol:

we had a few macs bottles and the like (pop tops seemed to be less common in the 90's) and they were perfect for pouring into a glass and getting no sediment as it could all fit in one go.

when i recommend that to people now they usually say that capping bottles costs too much, i wouldnt know myself.
Carly Ngarotata-Simon wrote:U misd two commas u illiterate fuk. It should read...mainstream, whilst at the same time, ... Who da dumb cunt now. Im bilingual. I can txt speak n also write in 'proper' english havin bn a legal secretary 4 13 years. So im actualy fukn streams ahead in inteligence ova u. Plus i hav a life! I dnt waste my time typing evry leta out cos i have a life! Dum ass. Peace, im out. Hahahahaha

Spots2012 wrote:do animal rights activists vehemently oppose Maori eating pigs etc, or are they willing to let that one slide?

Return to “Vegetarian and Vegan”