Linseed Oil

Share your recipes and great shopping spots with the rest of us.
Whitey

Linseed Oil

Postby Whitey » Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:23 pm

My memories been pretty bad lately, so I've done a bit of reading and seen that Flax Seed Oil (or Linseed) is a really good source of Omega 3 - however if it's not combined with other oils it can make you you deficient in GLA. Basically all the reviews I read about it are mixed so I was hoping whether someone on here maybe able to shed a little bit more light on it?

And if linseed is as good for you as some reviews make it sound, can anyone recommend a cheap place to get it? I've seen it in tablet form in a few pharmacies but it's pretty expensive (like $30).
BigBadBazza wrote:keep your shit life experiences for facebook status updates

Ventoux

Re: Linseed Oil

Postby Ventoux » Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:54 pm

I take 'Thompson's Organic Flaxseed Oil' capsules intermittently. I'm pretty lazy at remembering to take things on a regular basis. They're in a gelatin-free capsule. At periods when I've remembered or bothered to take them everyday I do notice it makes my skin more healthy and doesn't need moisturizer ever.

I didn't know about the claims that flaxseed lowers GLA - according to the break down of each capsule it contains 1 g of flaxseed oil equivalent to:
linolenic acid (omega 3) 575 mg
linoleic acid (omega 6) 175 mg
oleic acid (omega 9) 175 mg

Gamma-linolenic acid is also an omega 6 fatty acid, I'm not sure if linoleic acid as a source is any better or worse than gamma-linolenic...

kettles

Postby kettles » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:29 pm

I've been chugging back the supermarket Healtheries stuff. Don't know if it makes any difference.

sinksinksink

Postby sinksinksink » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:48 pm

Cheapest form would be actual linseeds from bulkbins at pak'n'save or bulk bin stores and chuck them in baking/whatever you want.

xSUSPECTx
argumentative cunt

Postby xSUSPECTx » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:49 pm

i put LSA on/in all my food, but thats mainly cos its delicious, my skin is already perfect.

Whitey

Postby Whitey » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:25 am

I assume by LSA you mean Linseed, Sunflower, Almond?
Forgive my ignorance, but are you able to get an oil that combines all three?

I use sunflower seeds in a bit of what I cook, haven't really used the other two much though.

melpomene

Postby melpomene » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:05 am

LSA's fucking awesome. Can put it on/in almost anything and adds a kind of nutty flavour and texture without destroying the original taste. i think so long as your diet is half decent the absorbtion of any necessary nutrients takes place fairly normally. Most nuts and cereals have oils that aid omega absorbtion so having it mixed with sunflower and almond already helps. Not sure if you can get LSA in oil form but would be keen to know if anyone finds it. I do know that flaxseed oil suddenly turns into EVIL flaxseed oil when heated so never use it in cooking, just add afterwards.
If we cut up beasts simply because they cannot prevent us and because we are backing our own side in the struggle for existence, it is only logical to cut up imbeciles, criminals, enemies, or capitalists for the same reasons.
--C. S. Lewis (novelist and essayist)

"What I think about vivisection is that if people admit that they have the right to take or endanger the life of living beings for the benefit of many, there will be no limit to their cruelty."
--Leo Tolstoy, author

kettles

Postby kettles » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:32 am

melpomene wrote: Not sure if you can get LSA in oil form but would be keen to know if anyone finds it.

http://www.healtheries.co.nz/page.php?id=25&prod=1327

Find it in the supermaket with the other supplements :)

kettles

Postby kettles » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:34 am

sinksinksink wrote:Cheapest form would be actual linseeds from bulkbins at pak'n'save or bulk bin stores and chuck them in baking/whatever you want.

Pretty sure I've read that they have to be crushed to fuck in order for your body to get the oil. This might need verifying however...

Andrew_TA

Postby Andrew_TA » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:59 am

I've been taking these

$35 for 300 caps. Taking it for a while now, a couple a day. Noticed I get less pimples and stuff.

Whitey

Postby Whitey » Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:56 pm

kettles wrote:
melpomene wrote: Not sure if you can get LSA in oil form but would be keen to know if anyone finds it.

http://www.healtheries.co.nz/page.php?id=25&prod=1327

Find it in the supermaket with the other supplements :)

Rad this is pretty much what I was looking for. Had a run around the supermarket and a pharmacy close to work but neither had it :(
Will continue the search and post back price, location etc.

xSUSPECTx
argumentative cunt

Postby xSUSPECTx » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:25 pm

Whitey wrote:I assume by LSA you mean Linseed, Sunflower, Almond?
Forgive my ignorance, but are you able to get an oil that combines all three?

I use sunflower seeds in a bit of what I cook, haven't really used the other two much though.

sunflower seeds are pretty average, i use LSA and yeh generally i dont let it cook altho i didnt know it was that bad?
in anycase, give sunflower seeds a miss and replace with punkin seeds which are way better and yummer
in the context of LSA sunflower is good, but by themselves and other low mineral food they are possibly harmful due to their high phosphate content.

phosphate is too common in our food an altho we need it, too much phosphate and not enuff other minerals is bad, so yeh.. minerals good, phosphate, good when with other minerals, bad by itself.

yvon

Postby yvon » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:46 pm

I got some flax seed oil for about $11 or $12 from Harvest. Just chucked it on toast, salads, sandwiches, over cooked pasta or cooked rice. Pretty tasty. Only problem is, it's only good for 5 weeks once you open it, and you have to keep it in the fridge.
"All paid employment degrades the mind."

Brinn

Postby Brinn » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:51 pm

I don't know what's supposed to be so bad about heating flax seed oil either. Not really a good thing to do though since it destroys nutrients and makes it taste worse. Maybe you're getting confused with the wood finish advertised as 'boiled linseed oil' with big labels saying not to drink it - that's because it's got metallic dryers in it which you can't eat, the boiled linseed oil itself is ok.

And yeah, have to get the little bottles of oil, I never eat enough of the big bottles and it just goes rancid. IME those Healtheries ones in the supermarket aren't refrigerated and are rancid before you open them. Get it from a fridge and keep it in a fridge, it spoils way too easily.

Whitey

Postby Whitey » Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:16 am

Brinn wrote:And yeah, have to get the little bottles of oil, I never eat enough of the big bottles and it just goes rancid. IME those Healtheries ones in the supermarket aren't refrigerated and are rancid before you open them. Get it from a fridge and keep it in a fridge, it spoils way too easily.

Rad thanks a lot. Went to my local supermarket yesterday and it wasn't there either :(
However, there was a price tag for it which said $13 for 250ml - so at least it's pretty reasonably priced.

mesh00

Postby mesh00 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:22 am

I and my wife use linseed oil for maintaining our cholesterol level in a normal range. Prior I used prescription medicine for cholesterol but have some side effects that why I discontinued them and go linseed oil, it not make my cholesterol level in a perfect position but still in a good range.

xSUSPECTx
argumentative cunt

Postby xSUSPECTx » Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:46 pm

since this thread was last bumped ive learned that linseed is actually banned for consumption in some countries(canada i think?) and that chia has more omega vitamins anyway.
Carly Ngarotata-Simon wrote:U misd two commas u illiterate fuk. It should read...mainstream, whilst at the same time, ... Who da dumb cunt now. Im bilingual. I can txt speak n also write in 'proper' english havin bn a legal secretary 4 13 years. So im actualy fukn streams ahead in inteligence ova u. Plus i hav a life! I dnt waste my time typing evry leta out cos i have a life! Dum ass. Peace, im out. Hahahahaha

Spots2012 wrote:do animal rights activists vehemently oppose Maori eating pigs etc, or are they willing to let that one slide?

Whitey

Postby Whitey » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:16 am

Interstesting. Why has it been banned?

I've actually brought the ground LSA and started using that instead. It's cheaper and easier to find then the oil. I think the cleaners at work threw out a full bottle of mine so I've just kept my stuff at home which I keep forgetting to take.

xSUSPECTx
argumentative cunt

Postby xSUSPECTx » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:28 am

cant remember why it was banned, this article here gave me a whole new bunch of reasons...
http://stanford.wellsphere.com/skin-hea ... eed/510625
ive read a lot more about why chia is better than linseed, to a degree that i could think its just a smear marketing campaign by those that sell chia seed, but most of the information seems fairly accurate and there seems to be a lot of people agreeing that theres stuff wrong with linseed...
my google skills are terrible so i cant find the article i read that compared chia and linseed and finished by claiming linseed is banned in some places...
Carly Ngarotata-Simon wrote:U misd two commas u illiterate fuk. It should read...mainstream, whilst at the same time, ... Who da dumb cunt now. Im bilingual. I can txt speak n also write in 'proper' english havin bn a legal secretary 4 13 years. So im actualy fukn streams ahead in inteligence ova u. Plus i hav a life! I dnt waste my time typing evry leta out cos i have a life! Dum ass. Peace, im out. Hahahahaha

Spots2012 wrote:do animal rights activists vehemently oppose Maori eating pigs etc, or are they willing to let that one slide?

Andrew_TA

Postby Andrew_TA » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:40 pm

I don't think it is banned?
Canada is the biggest producer of it

xSUSPECTx
argumentative cunt

Postby xSUSPECTx » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:50 pm

i might have been getting my wires crossed, it was banned somewhere, maybe not canada

the croc

Postby the croc » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:38 pm

You can buy it in Canada its just called flax seed oil.
There's more to life than thrash
So let's get really smashed
and do the heavy head dance

www.facebook.com/paekakpunkshow

Fiction & Falsehood

Postby Fiction & Falsehood » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:55 pm

yeh i was wrong about canada, but im pretty sure its baned somewhere
“There is something beautiful in seeing the poor accept their lot, to suffer it like Christ’s Passion. The world gains much from their suffering,” -Mother Theresa

the croc

Postby the croc » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:20 pm

France

Fiction & Falsehood

Postby Fiction & Falsehood » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:44 pm

link? reasoning?
“There is something beautiful in seeing the poor accept their lot, to suffer it like Christ’s Passion. The world gains much from their suffering,” -Mother Theresa

the croc

Postby the croc » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:59 pm

Something to do with their food safety laws because it becomes toxic once heated

luluxiu

Postby luluxiu » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:47 pm

Most nuts and grains to absorb the oil Omega assistance, it mixed with sunflower seeds and almonds, have helped. Do not know if you can get oil like LSA, but would like to know if someone found it.

Return to “Vegetarian and Vegan”