Hot houses

Share your recipes and great shopping spots with the rest of us.
BanalityDUFF

Hot houses

Postby BanalityDUFF » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:15 am

so what's the go with hot houses. am looking to get a little something set up to get an early start on my tomatoes . . .

heat tunnels?
portable hot houses?
just keeping shit inside?
glass over pot styles?

not looking to do anything permanent on account of not planning to stay here for that much time, so something small and cheap is preferable.

just looking for advice / pics of what other people have.

the croc

Re: Hot houses

Postby the croc » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:59 am

I had a little plastic jobbie a few years ago when I was into growing cactuses. Similar to this one below:

Only problem is after a while the plastic goes milky and is difficult to clean. Could be ok if you want something portable. I think mine cost about $80, so not really that cheap.

If you want to do a more DIY job you could pick up a few old windows and some bricks from the dump. Heat tunnels are also pretty easy and cheap to set up. Would probably only need three metal circle stakes (not sure of their proper name) for your needs and some clear plastic sheeting.

Found this DIY guide for plastic tunneling although not sure how sturdy it would be in strong winds.

http://doorgarden.com/03/plastic-tunnel-cold-frame-row-cover
There's more to life than thrash
So let's get really smashed
and do the heavy head dance

www.facebook.com/paekakpunkshow

xSUSPECTx
argumentative cunt

Postby xSUSPECTx » Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:25 pm

that shape is very stable in strong wind, think barns and aircraft hangers
Carly Ngarotata-Simon wrote:U misd two commas u illiterate fuk. It should read...mainstream, whilst at the same time, ... Who da dumb cunt now. Im bilingual. I can txt speak n also write in 'proper' english havin bn a legal secretary 4 13 years. So im actualy fukn streams ahead in inteligence ova u. Plus i hav a life! I dnt waste my time typing evry leta out cos i have a life! Dum ass. Peace, im out. Hahahahaha

Spots2012 wrote:do animal rights activists vehemently oppose Maori eating pigs etc, or are they willing to let that one slide?

the croc

Postby the croc » Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:19 pm

Oh yeah, I know that, I used to work in a maple tree nursery where they had them all over the place.

My point was though with that particular design the plastic isn't held down on the frame, just by pieces of wood on the outside. I could see that getting blown off pretty easily. The ones that I've used before had ribs made out of two pieces on top of each other, and the plastic would sit between them so it was pretty sturdy.

xSUSPECTx
argumentative cunt

Postby xSUSPECTx » Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:37 pm

oh i thought that bar/wood across the bottom was solidly attached somehow?
Carly Ngarotata-Simon wrote:U misd two commas u illiterate fuk. It should read...mainstream, whilst at the same time, ... Who da dumb cunt now. Im bilingual. I can txt speak n also write in 'proper' english havin bn a legal secretary 4 13 years. So im actualy fukn streams ahead in inteligence ova u. Plus i hav a life! I dnt waste my time typing evry leta out cos i have a life! Dum ass. Peace, im out. Hahahahaha

Spots2012 wrote:do animal rights activists vehemently oppose Maori eating pigs etc, or are they willing to let that one slide?

clancy

Postby clancy » Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:59 pm

there a few that look ok-ish on trade me - Im just thinking space and wind.

the croc

Postby the croc » Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:00 pm

That's pretty much the same as what we used on the nursery, except they could be almost 100m long.

Another slightly more substantial design for a cold frame: http://www.ehow.com/how_5091119_make-cold-frames.html

BanalityDUFF

Postby BanalityDUFF » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:48 am

i ended up just grabbing a small plastic greenhouse (about 1.2m tall). i figured i didnt really want to get myself more shit to lug around when i move.

should be ok to get my spring seedlings off to a good start.

Return to “Vegetarian and Vegan”