Chia Seeds

Share your recipes and great shopping spots with the rest of us.
the croc

Chia Seeds

Postby the croc » Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:45 am

I just read about these a few days ago for the first time and ended up buying 500 seeds off trademe last night for $5. Anyone eat them regularly/before? They seem to have pretty awesome properties.

Chia seeds typically contain 20% protein, 34% oil, 25% dietary fiber (mostly soluble with high molecular weight), and significant levels of antioxidants (chlorogenic and caffeic acids, myricetin, quercetin, and kaempferol flavonols). The oil from chia seeds contains a very high concentration of omega-3 fatty acid — approximately 64%. Chia seeds contain no gluten and trace levels of sodium.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salvia_hispanica

For centuries this tiny little seed was used as a staple food by the Indians of the south west and Mexico. Known as the running food, its use as a high energy endurance food has been recorded as far back as the ancient Aztecs. It was said the Aztec warriors subsisted on the Chia seed during the conquests. The Indians of the south west would eat as little as a teaspoon full when going on a 24hr. forced march. Indians running form the Colorado River to the California coast to trade turquoise for seashells would only bring the Chia seed for their nourishment.

If you try mixing a spoonful of Chia in a glass of water and leaving it for approximately 30 minutes or so, when you return the glass will appear to contain not seeds or water, but an almost solid gelatin. This gel-forming reaction is due to the soluble fiber in the Chia. Research believe this same gel-forming phenomenon takes place in the stomach when food containing these gummy fibers, known as mucilages, are eaten. The gel that is formed in the stomach creates a physical barrier between carbohydrates and the digestive enzymes that break them down, thus slowing the conversion of carbohydrates into sugar.

In addition to the obvious benefits for diabetics, this slowing in the conversion of carbohydrates into sugar offers the ability for creating endurance. Carbohydrates are the fuel for energy in our bodies. Prolonging their conversion into sugar stabilizes metabolic changes, diminishing the surges of highs and lows creating a longer duration in their fueling effects
http://www.living-foods.com/articles/chia.html

Chia seeds definitely seem to be what you'd have to deem a 'superfood'. They were once a staple of the Aztecs and were known, and are known, for their ability to increase endurance. For those that exercise a lot, chia is something worth trying out in the future. They have all the essential amino acids (protein), except for taurine, and are also a great source of omega-3 oils, which is not found in so many foods. It's important to get a good balance of omega-3 to omega-6 oils in your diet, and adding these seeds to salads and smoothies is a good way to provide that balance. They also have more antioxidants than blueberries.
Last edited by the croc on Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
There's more to life than thrash
So let's get really smashed
and do the heavy head dance

www.facebook.com/paekakpunkshow

dustbinflowers

Re: Chia Seeds

Postby dustbinflowers » Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:55 am

Cool! I didn't know they were commercially available yet!
Am keen to try them- going to be in ChCh permantly ish, so should be able to get a good garden happening finally!
Uncinia vector

the croc

Postby the croc » Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:04 pm

Yeah I'm getting them off a lady in Whangamata here: http://www.trademe.co.nz/Home-living/Ou ... 760178.htm

She says that she can't sell them for human consumption due to NZ food safety laws but then adds that she eats them which is good enough for me.

She has a bunch of other heirloom vegetable seed too for pretty decent prices.
Last edited by the croc on Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BanalityDUFF

Postby BanalityDUFF » Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:13 pm

so are those 500 seeds for growing, or 500 seeds for eating?

o_O

if for growing i might get me some :wink:

xSUSPECTx
argumentative cunt

Postby xSUSPECTx » Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:19 pm

haha yeh i recently bought chia seeds off her, i told you that serra!
i also got stevia, wild carrot and purple beans from her, and yeh they are all for growing, you can eat them but theres hardly any for that purpose.
Carly Ngarotata-Simon wrote:U misd two commas u illiterate fuk. It should read...mainstream, whilst at the same time, ... Who da dumb cunt now. Im bilingual. I can txt speak n also write in 'proper' english havin bn a legal secretary 4 13 years. So im actualy fukn streams ahead in inteligence ova u. Plus i hav a life! I dnt waste my time typing evry leta out cos i have a life! Dum ass. Peace, im out. Hahahahaha

Spots2012 wrote:do animal rights activists vehemently oppose Maori eating pigs etc, or are they willing to let that one slide?

dustbinflowers

Postby dustbinflowers » Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:36 pm

Sorry, brain like a sieve :wink:
Uncinia vector

the croc

Postby the croc » Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:19 pm

BanalityDUFF wrote:so are those 500 seeds for growing, or 500 seeds for eating?

o_O

if for growing i might get me some :wink:

Well....both.

She's selling them for growing but I intend to eat at least some of them. A seeds a seeds a seed.

xSUSPECTx
argumentative cunt

Postby xSUSPECTx » Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:24 pm

the seeds are smaller than poppy, 500 barely covers a teaspoon.
Carly Ngarotata-Simon wrote:U misd two commas u illiterate fuk. It should read...mainstream, whilst at the same time, ... Who da dumb cunt now. Im bilingual. I can txt speak n also write in 'proper' english havin bn a legal secretary 4 13 years. So im actualy fukn streams ahead in inteligence ova u. Plus i hav a life! I dnt waste my time typing evry leta out cos i have a life! Dum ass. Peace, im out. Hahahahaha

Spots2012 wrote:do animal rights activists vehemently oppose Maori eating pigs etc, or are they willing to let that one slide?

the croc

Postby the croc » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:02 pm

Oh yeah, didn't quite realise that. :oops:

BanalityDUFF

Postby BanalityDUFF » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:17 am

grabbed some seeds offa trademe. will chronicle my attempts to grow 'em.

xSUSPECTx
argumentative cunt

Postby xSUSPECTx » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:37 pm

probably about time i planted mine and my amaranth.. need motivation -kinda lost interest in plants recently and gained interest in metal.

the croc

Postby the croc » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:05 pm

Metal as in Slayer metal or metal as in knives etc? I'm going to attempt to make a knife in the next couple weeks out of an old file using greenpetes guide. Just have to get hold of a few more tools and make a furnace.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ysKd1cswlo[/youtube]

xSUSPECTx
argumentative cunt

Postby xSUSPECTx » Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:47 am

haha yeh i already sorta built a forge(still needs a fan) and im gunna use it to cast aluminum from scap/cans, ive also read a few of those guides about file knives and would like to try it, tho ive come across conflicting info on how best to do it, im collaborating on a knifemaking process, but the blades will be forged(not by me) and im currently taking a welding course.

also might get tickets to slayer if they promise not to play god hates us all and so on.

very metal

will do some planting today i think

the croc

Postby the croc » Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:22 pm

Yeah there's quite a few different ways that I've read, guess you just have to experiment. I'll chuck something up on here if I ever get around to it, but it will be another couple of weeks (or months)

BanalityDUFF

Postby BanalityDUFF » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:33 pm

any ideas when to harvest? (google wasn't very helpful).

most of my plants are flowering at the moment and am wondering when to cut off the buds.

Step 6

Chia seeds are ready to harvest when the flowers have yellowed and dried. The easiest way to harvest chia seeds is to pull up the entire plant then beat the stalks over a container in order to collect the tiny seeds.

http://www.gardenguides.com/84321-plant ... seeds.html

do you think that means i leave the plant in the ground until it begins to die or do i pull it out and dry it then harvest?

Marrow
real poo particles

Postby Marrow » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:17 pm

built one of those forges using bbq bits and a converted vacuum cleaner when I was younger.
these seeds sound mean.. I wonder if I could plant some in the garden outside my room without anyone noticing...
Dead Kid wrote:Just leave your friends at home this time eh... Spelling-Mistake Chris, Hit On All The Moderators Chris, Anti-Social Chris, and I think that's when Make-Every-Thread-Twice-As-Long-As-It-Needs-To-Be Chris showed up. I'm telling you, you've got to sort your foruming out bro
PertHJ wrote:You can't drink your coffee and fuck it too

the croc

Postby the croc » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:50 am

BanalityDUFF wrote:any ideas when to harvest? (google wasn't very helpful).

most of my plants are flowering at the moment and am wondering when to cut off the buds.

Step 6

Chia seeds are ready to harvest when the flowers have yellowed and dried. The easiest way to harvest chia seeds is to pull up the entire plant then beat the stalks over a container in order to collect the tiny seeds.

http://www.gardenguides.com/84321-plant ... seeds.html

do you think that means i leave the plant in the ground until it begins to die or do i pull it out and dry it then harvest?

To me that means wait until the seed pods dry out naturally and then beat them over a container. But before they dry out completely and naturally disperse their seeds.

xSUSPECTx
argumentative cunt

Postby xSUSPECTx » Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:01 am

my chia is just starting to flower, those that survived, fuckin earwigs eat the shit out of them, but not much else seems to touch the buggers.

ironically chia seed is available in the bulk bins at new world, ive been eating it regularly for weeks, its pretty good shit, but has to go in stuff, not too flash flavour/texture of its own.

BanalityDUFF

Postby BanalityDUFF » Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:37 am

^

cool, will check it out. i doubt my ability to successfully gather my seeds and even if i do it will be such a pitiful amount.

xSUSPECTx
argumentative cunt

Postby xSUSPECTx » Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:10 am

yeh im gunna collect the seeds to re-sow them, i suspect the new world ones will be treated in some way so they wont grow, i should try tho.

chia has suddenly become very trendy, but i only like the demos.

BanalityDUFF

Postby BanalityDUFF » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:48 am

i hand harvested one of my chia yesterday/today (just one flower stem bit) and the seeds in it are much bigger than the ones i brought. they're more the size of sesame seeds and look like tiny stones, rather than smooth globes like the ones i planted.

so my question is . . . do they chia have a husk of some sort that you needa bust open? (the size is so small i'm not sure how one would go about doing this).

xSUSPECTx
argumentative cunt

Postby xSUSPECTx » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:24 pm

not that im aware of, i guess you could try crushing one or two and seeing what happens, mine havnt seeded yet, lol i was ju7st thinking how pitiful my garden turned out, im too lazy ay

Return to “Vegetarian and Vegan”