Good non-dairy substitute for cream?

Share your recipes and great shopping spots with the rest of us.
danwhat___

Good non-dairy substitute for cream?

Postby danwhat___ » Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:40 pm

Me and my girlfriend's 6 monther this week and I'm gonna cook her dinner. She's vegan.

I make a pretty mean sweet thai chicken & mushroom pasta thing I wanna make. Obviously without the chicken though.

Only thing is I use a 300ml bottle of cream in it (for 2 people). So I need to subsitute that.

I'm thinking maybe that soy cream cheese stuff. Anyone got any other ideas?

There's probably something really simple like soy-cream haha.

Andrew_TA

Re: Good non-dairy substitute for cream?

Postby Andrew_TA » Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:21 pm

coconut cream!

pattymayonnaise
süße titten

Postby pattymayonnaise » Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:45 pm

Second the coconut cream. It can be pretty sweet though so taste test it first.
Or try 1 part silken tofu to 1 part soy milk and just blend the shit out of it.

xSUSPECTx
argumentative cunt

Postby xSUSPECTx » Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:07 pm

the small can of trident coconut cream and a lil bit of soymilk to top up, you might need to reduce it, depends on your recipe, i find any recipe that had chicken in it is fuckin brilliant with cashew nuts instead, just make sure you cook em into the mix so they are soft and not crunchy.

cashews > chicken
Carly Ngarotata-Simon wrote:U misd two commas u illiterate fuk. It should read...mainstream, whilst at the same time, ... Who da dumb cunt now. Im bilingual. I can txt speak n also write in 'proper' english havin bn a legal secretary 4 13 years. So im actualy fukn streams ahead in inteligence ova u. Plus i hav a life! I dnt waste my time typing evry leta out cos i have a life! Dum ass. Peace, im out. Hahahahaha

Spots2012 wrote:do animal rights activists vehemently oppose Maori eating pigs etc, or are they willing to let that one slide?

Dennis from Accounts

Postby Dennis from Accounts » Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:41 pm

Shit, my flatmates cook up some sort of fuckd dish with that coconut cream, it fucking stinks. Not sure what dish it's called, but if you cook it you're a fucking egg.
Forums Member of the Year (28.3%)

I've seen the future brother, it is murder.

Hamtown Dave

Postby Hamtown Dave » Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:52 pm

Dennis from Accounts wrote:Shit, my flatmates cook up some sort of fuckd dish with that coconut cream, it fucking stinks. Not sure what dish it's called, but if you cook it you're a fucking egg.

Some kinda thai curry? There's something in those that stinks to high hell but tastes fantastic. I think it's shrimp paste?
ONE MAN CREW

xSUSPECTx
argumentative cunt

Postby xSUSPECTx » Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:13 pm

some traditional dishes involve cooking offal and/or fish guts in such a way that they taste delicious, these ways are best left to the experts trust me.
Carly Ngarotata-Simon wrote:U misd two commas u illiterate fuk. It should read...mainstream, whilst at the same time, ... Who da dumb cunt now. Im bilingual. I can txt speak n also write in 'proper' english havin bn a legal secretary 4 13 years. So im actualy fukn streams ahead in inteligence ova u. Plus i hav a life! I dnt waste my time typing evry leta out cos i have a life! Dum ass. Peace, im out. Hahahahaha

Spots2012 wrote:do animal rights activists vehemently oppose Maori eating pigs etc, or are they willing to let that one slide?

melanie

Postby melanie » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:27 am

If you don't want the flavour of coconut cream, you can get soy cream but it's harder to find. SAFE shop has some, probably on their online shop, and some health food stores have it too.

Hamtown Dave

Postby Hamtown Dave » Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:10 am

Good call, replace the delicious natural sweetness of coconut with the... neat flavor of soy.
ONE MAN CREW

xSUSPECTx
argumentative cunt

Postby xSUSPECTx » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:36 am

actually theres a kind of tofu you can get that comes in a tube, pak'n'save has it i think, its semi solid, but just mix it up with a bit of water and its a liquid, fairly tasteless like all tofu but has a very nice creamy texture.
depends if you like coconut or not, tofu would probably be better if you want to avoid the coconut taste.

Andrew_TA

Postby Andrew_TA » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:02 pm

yeah it's called silken tofu..

ps. coconut cream doesn't really have a coconut taste.
Last edited by Andrew_TA on Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dennis from Accounts

Postby Dennis from Accounts » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:04 pm

WELL THAT MAKES SENSE
Forums Member of the Year (28.3%)

I've seen the future brother, it is murder.

xSUSPECTx
argumentative cunt

Postby xSUSPECTx » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:15 pm

Andrew_TA wrote:yeah it's called silken tofu..

ps. coconut cream doesn't really have a coconut taste.

yeh but im talking about a particular breed of silken tofu that is particularly liquidish.
also coconut cream tastes like coconut cream, maybe thats not the same as a fresh coconut but who in fuck cares, it has a distinct flavour that may not work with this dish/danwhats prefererence.

pedantic :x

Andrew_TA

Postby Andrew_TA » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:46 pm

nah in my experience it's pretty good for most stuff, i've never noticed a sweet taste too it as well.

xSUSPECTx
argumentative cunt

Postby xSUSPECTx » Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:21 pm

oh id agree, its fuckin delicious in fact, but it does have a pretty noticeable flavour, one that very different to cream, it would probably be real nice in his recipe, but then it might change the whole thing who really fuckin knows.. i just think that the silken tofu would be a more neutral kind of replacement.

Andrew_TA

Postby Andrew_TA » Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:51 pm

Suspect wrote:oh id agree, its fuckin delicious in fact, but it does have a pretty noticeable flavour, one that very different to cream, it would probably be real nice in his recipe, but then it might change the whole thing who really fuckin knows.. i just think that the silken tofu would be a more neutral kind of replacement.

oh yep. i'll grab some of the silken tofu next time for a cream-like recipe, got any good ones?

xSUSPECTx
argumentative cunt

Postby xSUSPECTx » Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:12 pm

phaedrus wrote:i reckon if something called 'thai <something>' doesn't work with coconut cream then the recipe is a fake...

hah true, but who knows what this guy is cooking.

andrew, not really, i just use it in curries a lot, my curries dont really have recipes.

Hamtown Dave

Postby Hamtown Dave » Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:21 pm

Woah, all this time I thought coconut cream tasted like coconut... considering it's pretty much shredded coconut flesh and water strained through a cloth I would have backed myself to be correct.

How exactly does that work Andrew? Do you count the husk as part of the coconut's flavor?
ONE MAN CREW

Spots2012

Postby Spots2012 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:00 pm

how did the dinner go?

SupaScoopa

Postby SupaScoopa » Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:48 am

And FYI - you can now buy Soyatoo vegan cream (Comes in a carton, or whipped in a can) from SAFE store, and Harvest.

Andrew_TA

Postby Andrew_TA » Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:36 pm

Hamtown Dave wrote:Woah, all this time I thought coconut cream tasted like coconut... considering it's pretty much shredded coconut flesh and water strained through a cloth I would have backed myself to be correct.

How exactly does that work Andrew? Do you count the husk as part of the coconut's flavor?

Could you make it more obvious you just looked that up on wikipedia?

Hamtown Dave

Postby Hamtown Dave » Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:06 pm

Haha, sure looks like that, but no. I have looked it up on wikipedia in the past to see if I could make coconut cream from a coconut that came into my possession.
ONE MAN CREW

xSUSPECTx
argumentative cunt

Postby xSUSPECTx » Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:35 pm

0X
Last edited by xSUSPECTx on Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

danwhat___

Postby danwhat___ » Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:42 am

i haven't had a chance to come online and check this yet.

Thanks for all the advice. I think i'll try coconut cream it sounds like it'd go awesome with it. I'll also try cashews! I had been trying to think of something to replace the chicken with and cashews are pretty awesome.

xSUSPECTx
argumentative cunt

Postby xSUSPECTx » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:51 am

cashews are amazing, personally i think they are best simmered so they go soft and kinda chewy, you dont even need that many, they go far in stuff like that, you dont wanna put too many in honestly, you dont wanna plat of just cashews.
you could also get firm tofu, marinate it for as long as humanly possible and give it a quick fry before bunging it into the mix.. im not a big fan of it myself tho.
actually pumpkin seeds likewise cooked til soft would probably be pretty mean with it.

Hamtown Dave

Postby Hamtown Dave » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:36 am

I back cashews... the missus likes them in our chicken curries. I wouldn't have them in the place of chicken by choice, but for a veggie version they'd be decent.
ONE MAN CREW

xSUSPECTx
argumentative cunt

Postby xSUSPECTx » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:45 am

pine nuts are badass if you give them a lil pan roasting before you cook em, but i spose you dont wanna get too overboard.

sweetnovacaine

Postby sweetnovacaine » Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:32 pm

'cruelty free' on k rd. they have soy-cream

Return to “Vegetarian and Vegan”