Self-sustainability/Back to the land etc

Share your recipes and great shopping spots with the rest of us.
User avatar
dustbinflowers
Posts: 6640
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2005 2:41 pm
Location: Portside

Re: Self-sustainability/Back to the land etc

Postby dustbinflowers » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:33 pm

^^^^^^awesome book^^^

Used to find it really useful till someone stole it off me :x
Uncinia vector

User avatar
the croc
Posts: 5663
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:35 pm
Location: Wellington/At sea
Contact:

Re: Self-sustainability/Back to the land etc

Postby the croc » Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:08 pm

300 year old food forest in Vietnam

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5ZgzwoQ-ao[/youtube]
There's more to life than thrash
So let's get really smashed
and do the heavy head dance

www.facebook.com/paekakpunkshow

User avatar
xSUSPECTx
argumentative cunt
Posts: 10959
Joined: Sat May 17, 2008 12:18 pm
Location: the straight edge

Re: Self-sustainability/Back to the land etc

Postby xSUSPECTx » Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:09 pm

that was awesome, like a garden of eden type dealio

User avatar
the croc
Posts: 5663
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:35 pm
Location: Wellington/At sea
Contact:

Re: Self-sustainability/Back to the land etc

Postby the croc » Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:43 pm

Just came across this one from the same guy on a 2000 year old food forest in Morocco

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hftgWcD-1Nw[/youtube]

Pretty rad how they're probably the origin of the idea of an oasis
There's more to life than thrash
So let's get really smashed
and do the heavy head dance

www.facebook.com/paekakpunkshow

User avatar
the croc
Posts: 5663
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:35 pm
Location: Wellington/At sea
Contact:

Re: Self-sustainability/Back to the land etc

Postby the croc » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:18 pm

Cooked up a 100% organic wild caught/home-grown meal tonight (apart from the olive oil). Back leg steak from a doe my mate shot on Friday down Kaikoura ways sliced and fried with home-grown rosemary. Wild artichokes from his backyard roasted and garnished with home-grown curry plant leaf and chives. Purple beans and spinach from my vege garden. Pretty stoked with this. It tasted fucken good!

Image
Image
Image
Image
Last edited by the croc on Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There's more to life than thrash
So let's get really smashed
and do the heavy head dance

www.facebook.com/paekakpunkshow

BigBadBazza
Posts: 793
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:49 pm

Re: Self-sustainability/Back to the land etc

Postby BigBadBazza » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:15 pm

needs a mean ass gravy. bet it was tasty though.
Salvador Dali wrote:Everyone should eat hashish, but only once.

User avatar
dustbinflowers
Posts: 6640
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2005 2:41 pm
Location: Portside

Re: Self-sustainability/Back to the land etc

Postby dustbinflowers » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:16 am

looks good.
had an awesome venison stew while I was down in Dunners last weekend- wild shot, with a pint of home brewed stout in it and slow cooked. Goood gravy. Served with urenikas out of the garden, and more beer

It felt like a fitting autumn dinner for old friends
Uncinia vector

Red_switch
Posts: 6096
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2006 2:24 pm
Location: makarewa

Re: Self-sustainability/Back to the land etc

Postby Red_switch » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:40 am

Venison is good, until you have it everyday...

Upside is plenty of hunters get pretty sick of it and are often keen to give it away/trade for shit.

Wild venison bacon is the new in thing it seems.

Hey Croc that book The Last American Man looks fricken rad.
I think it's lint.

Image

User avatar
xSUSPECTx
argumentative cunt
Posts: 10959
Joined: Sat May 17, 2008 12:18 pm
Location: the straight edge

Re: Self-sustainability/Back to the land etc

Postby xSUSPECTx » Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:30 pm

curry plant?
Carly Ngarotata-Simon wrote:U misd two commas u illiterate fuk. It should read...mainstream, whilst at the same time, ... Who da dumb cunt now. Im bilingual. I can txt speak n also write in 'proper' english havin bn a legal secretary 4 13 years. So im actualy fukn streams ahead in inteligence ova u. Plus i hav a life! I dnt waste my time typing evry leta out cos i have a life! Dum ass. Peace, im out. Hahahahaha

Spots2012 wrote:do animal rights activists vehemently oppose Maori eating pigs etc, or are they willing to let that one slide?

User avatar
the croc
Posts: 5663
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:35 pm
Location: Wellington/At sea
Contact:

Re: Self-sustainability/Back to the land etc

Postby the croc » Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:48 pm

There's more to life than thrash
So let's get really smashed
and do the heavy head dance

www.facebook.com/paekakpunkshow

User avatar
xSUSPECTx
argumentative cunt
Posts: 10959
Joined: Sat May 17, 2008 12:18 pm
Location: the straight edge

Re: Self-sustainability/Back to the land etc

Postby xSUSPECTx » Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:35 pm

true i didnt actually think that stuff was edible.
Carly Ngarotata-Simon wrote:U misd two commas u illiterate fuk. It should read...mainstream, whilst at the same time, ... Who da dumb cunt now. Im bilingual. I can txt speak n also write in 'proper' english havin bn a legal secretary 4 13 years. So im actualy fukn streams ahead in inteligence ova u. Plus i hav a life! I dnt waste my time typing evry leta out cos i have a life! Dum ass. Peace, im out. Hahahahaha

Spots2012 wrote:do animal rights activists vehemently oppose Maori eating pigs etc, or are they willing to let that one slide?

User avatar
the croc
Posts: 5663
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:35 pm
Location: Wellington/At sea
Contact:

Re: Self-sustainability/Back to the land etc

Postby the croc » Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:47 pm

Well I'm not dead yet if that's any proof at all.
There's more to life than thrash
So let's get really smashed
and do the heavy head dance

www.facebook.com/paekakpunkshow

User avatar
Yellow Romans
Posts: 209
Joined: Sat May 21, 2005 1:59 pm

Re: Self-sustainability/Back to the land etc

Postby Yellow Romans » Thu May 27, 2010 9:40 pm

I haven't followed all of this thread but here are a few random facts that may or may not have been covered....

NZ is perfectly capable of producing all our own food (except for some tropical fruits, although very small bananas can be grown in Northland). The main problem is that our farming system has traditionally focussed on a very narrow range of products, and nowadays Fonterror want to turn the whole country into one huge dairy farm. It makes no sense that they are pushing dairy farming into some of the most arid parts of NZ, even though dairying requires more water than most (all?) other forms of livestock farming. They spout shit like it is needed to feed the hungry people of the world but they just market to the middle classes of Asia, who are in no danger of starving.
The reason we import so much is due to who owns the companies that produce food. eg We import some kinds of Cadbury chocolate from Tasmania, and export other kinds of Cadbury chocolates from Dunedin to Australia.
We could produce pasta here from NZ wheat but import it from Australia cos that's where the companies are based (the majority of the world's food trade is controlled by only a few companies who tend to centralise production). We import things like soya beans cos although non-gmo soya is grown here, factory farming (chickens) and cattle feedlots use up huge amounts of grain.
Having said that, I manage to get a lot of my food from a farmers' market so it is grown mostly within 100km of my house (as opposed to buying imported frozen spinach from Europe etc).

User avatar
xSUSPECTx
argumentative cunt
Posts: 10959
Joined: Sat May 17, 2008 12:18 pm
Location: the straight edge

Re: Self-sustainability/Back to the land etc

Postby xSUSPECTx » Thu May 27, 2010 10:23 pm

Yellow Romans wrote:NZ is perfectly capable of producing all our own food


fuck, yeh.
Carly Ngarotata-Simon wrote:U misd two commas u illiterate fuk. It should read...mainstream, whilst at the same time, ... Who da dumb cunt now. Im bilingual. I can txt speak n also write in 'proper' english havin bn a legal secretary 4 13 years. So im actualy fukn streams ahead in inteligence ova u. Plus i hav a life! I dnt waste my time typing evry leta out cos i have a life! Dum ass. Peace, im out. Hahahahaha

Spots2012 wrote:do animal rights activists vehemently oppose Maori eating pigs etc, or are they willing to let that one slide?

User avatar
akaxo
Posts: 8518
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 11:28 am
Location: antichristchurch

Re: Self-sustainability/Back to the land etc

Postby akaxo » Fri May 28, 2010 12:26 pm

yeah that's true but if we want to import things like computers, TVs, cars, chinese jandals and hot'n'spicy korean noodles we need to export things right? and one thing we can do is produce and export food. not that i'm in favour of dairy farms popping up everywhere esp seeing as i live in canterbury, but there's more to it than just producing enough food to sustain the population.

just looked over the last couple of pages in this thread, that john seymour book croc posted about is bloody useful. i've got a well used copy of his complete guide to self-sufficiency, got dirt and blood splattered on a fair few pages now from referring to it in times of need ha. and the simply living one is good too but mine has disappeared somewhere along the line too bugger it.

as far as what we're doing in the city now, produce virtually all our own veges, haven't bought any in fuck knows how long. got five chickens running around in the backyard who get fed a lot of food from the local skip and give us eggs and a lot of smiles and laughs. built a fire bath in the backyard that gets used a few times a week and is powered off the wood from the massive oak tree that got cut up and left on our front yard in exchange for a couple of boxes of beer. used to brew and distill but don't drink anymore so don't now ha. have jars of preserves from the fruit trees and dumpstered fruit in the cupboard too. would like to be completely self sufficient for food and energy one day.
We must secure the extinction of all people and no future for any children

User avatar
xSUSPECTx
argumentative cunt
Posts: 10959
Joined: Sat May 17, 2008 12:18 pm
Location: the straight edge

Re: Self-sustainability/Back to the land etc

Postby xSUSPECTx » Sat May 29, 2010 12:30 am

akaxo wrote:yeah that's true but if we want to import things like computers, TVs, cars, chinese jandals and hot'n'spicy korean noodles we need to export things right? and one thing we can do is produce and export food. not that i'm in favour of dairy farms popping up everywhere esp seeing as i live in canterbury, but there's more to it than just producing enough food to sustain the population.

yeh, im fairly sure we have enuff koreans of our own to make spicy noodles, im sure we can make our own jandals, we used to make our own cars, and im sure we can make our own tv's, maybe no iphones but fuck...

but youre right, i wouldnt say shut the border, but we dont actually need to rely on other countries so much or at very least, we dont need to act like we do.

mind you, cuba coped fine for 50 years :P
Carly Ngarotata-Simon wrote:U misd two commas u illiterate fuk. It should read...mainstream, whilst at the same time, ... Who da dumb cunt now. Im bilingual. I can txt speak n also write in 'proper' english havin bn a legal secretary 4 13 years. So im actualy fukn streams ahead in inteligence ova u. Plus i hav a life! I dnt waste my time typing evry leta out cos i have a life! Dum ass. Peace, im out. Hahahahaha

Spots2012 wrote:do animal rights activists vehemently oppose Maori eating pigs etc, or are they willing to let that one slide?

User avatar
the croc
Posts: 5663
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:35 pm
Location: Wellington/At sea
Contact:

Re: Self-sustainability/Back to the land etc

Postby the croc » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:04 pm

There's more to life than thrash
So let's get really smashed
and do the heavy head dance

www.facebook.com/paekakpunkshow

Fiction & Falsehood
Posts: 7506
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:38 am

Re: Self-sustainability/Back to the land etc

Postby Fiction & Falsehood » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:23 pm

cheers for that, it was really good, ive heard about lammas a lot but thats by far the most ive seen of them.
recognised 'that roundhouse' at the very end.
cool cats, but what was that guys belt for?
Image
“There is something beautiful in seeing the poor accept their lot, to suffer it like Christ’s Passion. The world gains much from their suffering,” -Mother Theresa

Fiction & Falsehood
Posts: 7506
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:38 am

Re: Self-sustainability/Back to the land etc

Postby Fiction & Falsehood » Fri May 06, 2011 9:32 pm

fucks me off that if youre against one thing.. i.e. rampant capitalism, that automatically means youre an ardent supporter of its perceived(by the particular fuckwit you happen to be talking to) opposite, such as some fucktard form of socialism or that you want to live in a cave and eat grass.

jeezus, this country doesnt really have much left of it re: human resource.
Image
“There is something beautiful in seeing the poor accept their lot, to suffer it like Christ’s Passion. The world gains much from their suffering,” -Mother Theresa

User avatar
the croc
Posts: 5663
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:35 pm
Location: Wellington/At sea
Contact:

Re: Self-sustainability/Back to the land etc

Postby the croc » Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:14 am

Tillers International is a 501(c)3 IRS non-profit organization for international rural development, specializing in farming with oxen. Based in Scotts, Michigan, USA at our Cook's Mill Learning Center, Tillers offers classes in appropriate technology farming techniques, draft animal power, blacksmithing and metal work, timber framing, woodworking, cheesemaking, and many other farming and artisanal skills. Tillers also hosts interns, both international and domestic, and international guests for intensive periods of hands-on training. Whether you're looking for a new hobby, a new land or skill-based livelihood, or an opportunity to contribute your knowledge and skills to an international project, Tillers welcomes you and offers myriad unique, educational opportunities.


http://www.tillersinternational.org/index.html

ATTRA - National Sustainable Agriculture Information Service is managed by the National Center for Appropriate Technology (NCAT) and is funded under a grant from the United States Department of Agriculture's Rural Business-Cooperative Service. It provides information and other technical assistance to farmers, ranchers, Extension agents, educators, and others involved in sustainable agriculture in the United States. (ATTRA was formerly known as the "Appropriate Technology Transfer for Rural Areas" project.)

https://attra.ncat.org/

"One of the things the soon-to-be-deindustrializing world most needs just now is green wizards. By this I mean individuals who are willing to take on the responsibility to learn, practice, and thoroughly master a set of unpopular but valuable skills – the skills of the old appropriate tech movement – and share them with their neighbors when the day comes that their neighbors are willing to learn. This is not a subject where armchair theorizing counts for much – as every wizard’s apprentice learns sooner rather than later, what you really know is measured by what you’ve actually done – and it’s probably not going to earn anyone a living any time soon, either, though it can help almost anyone make whatever living they earn go a great deal further than it might otherwise go."


http://www.greenwizards.org/
There's more to life than thrash
So let's get really smashed
and do the heavy head dance

www.facebook.com/paekakpunkshow

scott penk
Posts: 4745
Joined: Sun Sep 01, 2002 10:58 pm

Re: Self-sustainable vegans

Postby scott penk » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:08 pm

the croc wrote:A couple of books I've picked lately on this topic:

Image



read your post last night, requested from library last night, got from library today! about to get into it

User avatar
the croc
Posts: 5663
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:35 pm
Location: Wellington/At sea
Contact:

Re: Self-sustainable vegans

Postby the croc » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:54 am

scott penk wrote:
the croc wrote:A couple of books I've picked lately on this topic:

Image



read your post last night, requested from library last night, got from library today! about to get into it


Yeah it's a pretty sweet read, was thinking of giving it another hoon.
There's more to life than thrash
So let's get really smashed
and do the heavy head dance

www.facebook.com/paekakpunkshow

User avatar
dustbinflowers
Posts: 6640
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2005 2:41 pm
Location: Portside

Re: Self-sustainability/Back to the land etc

Postby dustbinflowers » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:49 am

Yellow Romans wrote:I haven't followed all of this thread but here are a few random facts that may or may not have been covered....

NZ is perfectly capable of producing all our own food (except for some tropical fruits, although very small bananas can be grown in Northland). The main problem is that our farming system has traditionally focussed on a very narrow range of products, and nowadays Fonterror want to turn the whole country into one huge dairy farm. It makes no sense that they are pushing dairy farming into some of the most arid parts of NZ, even though dairying requires more water than most (all?) other forms of livestock farming. They spout shit like it is needed to feed the hungry people of the world but they just market to the middle classes of Asia, who are in no danger of starving.
The reason we import so much is due to who owns the companies that produce food. eg We import some kinds of Cadbury chocolate from Tasmania, and export other kinds of Cadbury chocolates from Dunedin to Australia.
We could produce pasta here from NZ wheat but import it from Australia cos that's where the companies are based (the majority of the world's food trade is controlled by only a few companies who tend to centralise production). We import things like soya beans cos although non-gmo soya is grown here, factory farming (chickens) and cattle feedlots use up huge amounts of grain.
Having said that, I manage to get a lot of my food from a farmers' market so it is grown mostly within 100km of my house (as opposed to buying imported frozen spinach from Europe etc).


NZ no longer could produce enough wheat- most of the country suitable has been switched over to intensive dairying. In some ways Australian wheat is better, as it at least has trace selenium and cobalt. Much of New Zealand's land is only agriculturally viable with large amounts of super Phosphate dressing- not really sustainable.
Uncinia vector

User avatar
the croc
Posts: 5663
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:35 pm
Location: Wellington/At sea
Contact:

Re: Self-sustainable vegans

Postby the croc » Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:01 am

the croc wrote:
scott penk wrote:
the croc wrote:A couple of books I've picked lately on this topic:

Image



read your post last night, requested from library last night, got from library today! about to get into it


Yeah it's a pretty sweet read, was thinking of giving it another hoon.


[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyEIr_W-x7c[/youtube]
There's more to life than thrash
So let's get really smashed
and do the heavy head dance

www.facebook.com/paekakpunkshow

User avatar
the croc
Posts: 5663
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:35 pm
Location: Wellington/At sea
Contact:

Re: Self-sustainability/Back to the land etc

Postby the croc » Wed May 23, 2012 7:05 am

The Perennial Plate is an online weekly documentary series dedicated to socially responsible and adventurous eating. The episodes follow the culinary, agricultural and hunting explorations of chef and activist, Daniel Klein. Season One took place over a calendar year in Minnesota where every Monday for 52 weeks, Klein and cameragirl Mirra Fine released short films about good food. In Season Two, Klein and Fine are traveling across America, taking the viewer on a journey to appreciate and understand where good food comes from and how to enjoy it. The Real Food Road Trip began on May 9th 2011, and the weekly videos have continued — bringing the audience along for stories of urban gardens, long drives, blood, hunting and guts… http://www.theperennialplate.com/
There's more to life than thrash
So let's get really smashed
and do the heavy head dance

www.facebook.com/paekakpunkshow


Return to “Vegetarian and Vegan”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests