Being served the wrong food

Share your recipes and great shopping spots with the rest of us.
Whitey

Being served the wrong food

Postby Whitey » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:48 pm

Today when I was driving back from Wellington today I stopped into a BP to get some gas and eats. Bought myself a Vegetable pie. I continued on my way to Auckland but after taking a few bites into the pie I noticed that I didn't taste any vegetables. Turns out it was a chicken pie that had been put in the wrong place.
I spat it out and threw it out the window of my car (nearly vomited), but couldn't be bothered back tracking as I still had a long drive ahead of me.

When I was in Offbeats a couple of days ago I got served a chicken burger which fortunately I noticed before I ate any of it. I was with someone who was eating the chicken burger, so they just wrote the wrong thing on the box. But yeah.

I've been vegetarian for 2 years and from past experience it's more effort then it's worth to make a fuss about these sorts of things. I'll probably write them (BP) a complaint anyway, but am wondering whether it's really worth the time and effort just to get a "Sorry it won't happen next time."

Advice/Discuss.
BigBadBazza wrote:keep your shit life experiences for facebook status updates

Andrew_TA

Re: Being served the wrong food

Postby Andrew_TA » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:03 pm

Haven't eaten meat for about 3 years now, and I can think of two times I got served wrong things. Once on an airplane (got a shrimp cocktail instead of salad) and at a some restaurant.

Simes

Postby Simes » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:07 pm

Its kinda hard to kick up a fuss when people can just be making honest mistakes.

But then people serving and preparing food should be more aware because of things like diets where the wrong food could kill someone.

However the consumer with a specific request (even a vege burger is shocking to some) should probably be assuming the worst before they take a bite. Mainly coz people are shit.

///

Postby /// » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:16 pm

Whitey wrote:I've been vegetarian for 2 years and from past experience it's more effort then it's worth to make a fuss about these sorts of things. I'll probably write them (BP) a complaint anyway, but am wondering whether it's really worth the time and effort just to get a "Sorry it won't happen next time."

Advice/Discuss.

Honestly, the pastry they use in their vege pies probably isn't even vegetarian (a lot of pastry has beef fat or other nasty shit -insert sweat crystals, faecal traces etc joke here- in it).

But yeah, I'd complain if I were you and could be bothered exerting the effort. Might as well.

Dick Dynamite

Postby Dick Dynamite » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:20 pm

The vege pie at BP always has pumpkin or sesame seeds or whatever on it innit? Its often not in the right tray thing, but I've never gotten the wrong pie yet.

Restaurants ALWAYS fuck up though. Fast food places generally do a better job oddly.

Ventoux

Postby Ventoux » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:37 pm

BP don't even do teh vegan ones anymore. Or not round my town. They only have one with the same pumpkin seeds on top but it's called 'creamy vegetable' and it doesn't have the little green 'vegan' tag anymore.

scott penk

Postby scott penk » Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:23 am

Dick Dynamite wrote:The vege pie at BP always has pumpkin or sesame seeds or whatever on it innit? Its often not in the right tray thing, but I've never gotten the wrong pie yet.

Restaurants ALWAYS fuck up though. Fast food places generally do a better job oddly.

'innit' is not a substitute for doesnt it / will it / etc etc
it is a subsitute for 'isn't it'

sorry to be pedantic. noticed it a few times from you recently and it irked me

back to the pies.. actually a vegetarian friend had the exact same thing happen to him. i think he chased it up. ill ask him

Dick Dynamite

Postby Dick Dynamite » Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:33 am

Nah, the beauty of the word is that it is a catch-all contraction. It can be used in any circumstance innit?

Edit: Adding wiktionary link so this doesn't turn into more of a worthless drawnout argument than it has to ;)

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/innit

Whitey

Postby Whitey » Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:40 am

Simes wrote:Its kinda hard to kick up a fuss when people can just be making honest mistakes.

But then people serving and preparing food should be more aware because of things like diets where the wrong food could kill someone.

However the consumer with a specific request (even a vege burger is shocking to some) should probably be assuming the worst before they take a bite. Mainly coz people are shit.

Yeah I understand that totally, at the end of the day it's my choice to be vegetarian, it's just a bit shit when it happens.

/// wrote:Honestly, the pastry they use in their vege pies probably isn't even vegetarian (a lot of pastry has beef fat or other nasty shit -insert sweat crystals, faecal traces etc joke here- in it).

Yeah, I'm aware some pastry having animal fats in them. The only reason I stopped there is most towns/food places on the way up to Auckland don't have vege options and they were a convenient place to stop. I had also heard about some of their pies being vegan too.
Realistically I should've made my own lunch, but I was leaving early and couldn't be bothered.

lena

Postby lena » Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:34 am

I think it's important to say something but to be exceptionally nice about it, because when people speak up about things often businesses realize that there are more vegans/vegetarians/celiacs etc than they thought and will cater to it accordingly

Asking for vegan options even when you know there aren't any makes people think about getting them on the menu. It's easier to have a permanent vegan/vege option than to have the chef fucking around changing things in the middle of service.

It's also incredibly dangerous to make mistakes like that, for example if you are allergic to dairy, peanuts etc.. their mistake can cause you a trip the the hospital, or at worst, death. Restaurants get in deep deep shit for mistakes when allergens come into play.
Treat your veg*ism as being allergic to meat etc. As a paying customer you have a right to not pay someone to eat shit you dont want to eat.

I say.. hey look I'm sorry to be a pain in the ass, but I ordered "x" and you've given me "z". I realize it's an honest mistake but I can't eat this, could you please change it.
You can still thank them from their service or whatever.

As someone who has worked in hospitality for many years, including managing most of the places I worked at, I can tell you that letters get taken extremely seriously, generally more so than heat of the moment customer complaints, because someone has actually taken the time to sit down and do this, they must be pretty fucked off.
The kind of people who write letters also write letters to the newspaper, and tell all their friends about shit, and post their grievances on public forums ;)

I used to deal with letters by sending out a 100 dollar voucher and a profuse apology.

Write a letter to BP because they are a fucking "service" station. If they can't put a pie in the right tray then someone there needs to wake up. That's bullshit. Definitely write a letter.

Hospo is not a hard job and there isnt that much to do apart from wipe down tables, take and make orders, so I don't think it's unreasonable to expect that you get what you order. Yeah it can be hard when it gets busy, but its up to the management to have good systems in place to avoid this stuff happening.

No need to be an asshole to them, but paying for meat is not the one which is essentially what you are doing when you don't get them to correct it.

Whitey

Postby Whitey » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:15 am

Wrote them a 'nice' e-mail today, including some bullshit like "I usually speak highly of your pies, but this situation has left me feeling disappointed and aggravated."

Will post their reply, if I get one :? .

matt youwin

Postby matt youwin » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:27 am

Any place that has messed up my order has been willing to replace it with no problems at all. Sometimes they actually refund the cost of the meal to make up for the inconvenience too.

lacerated sky

Postby lacerated sky » Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:07 pm

i usually shoplift or break/soil something as revenge.
"With your intolerance, you're no better than the very nazis and supremacists you ridicule. Open up your eyes before a real skinhead opens up your skull, free of charge..."

matt youwin

Postby matt youwin » Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:38 pm

~cool~

lena

Postby lena » Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:41 pm

matt youwin wrote:~cool~

:lol:

YouAgain

Postby YouAgain » Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:20 pm

Bought a burger from Burgerfuel the other day, they put aioli on it so drove all the way back, they remade the burger and gave me a full refund! Was pretty stoked!

Whitey

Postby Whitey » Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:05 pm

Got two e-mails from BP, one a generic e-mail from a customer enquires person, the second from the store manager saying this:

I am sorry for the mix up and will be talking individually to each of my staff to make sure we act with care around all our food products.

If possible I would like to talk to you further about the incident, if you could forward your number and a time that would suit you to give you a call and rectify the situation it would be much appreciated.

Will be speaking to him tomorrow.

cobrascuntcharmer

Postby cobrascuntcharmer » Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:21 pm

when ever people come in to work and say they are a celiac and order a salad i tell them that the dressings have malt vinegar in them but they order it any way fuck gluten free is so fashionable right now

Simes

Postby Simes » Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:24 pm

Sounds like a good result so far, good of them to want to speak more! I hope you get free shit

lena

Postby lena » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:59 pm

cobrascuntcharmer wrote:when ever people come in to work and say they are a celiac and order a salad i tell them that the dressings have malt vinegar in them but they order it any way fuck gluten free is so fashionable right now

i totally don't understand why its fashionable but i have definitely noticed that.

Whitey

Postby Whitey » Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:19 am

So I got an e-mail from a completely different store.. Wonder if the other guy is going to call me too..

I am writing to say how sorry we are that you got the wrong pie when you came to our site there other day. We have spoke to everyone and ask that they be more careful where the pies are put. Enclosed is a small Tonkin and I asked that next time you are down our way please do call back in. Could you please send me your home address so I can send something to you.

There was also nothing enclosed, so I assume they're going to post it to me.

David xvx Ludd

Postby David xvx Ludd » Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:45 am

Not even a Tonkin?
Green | Vegan | Straight Edge | Tattooed | Lawyer | Cyclist | PMA

[url="http://about.me/david.tong"]Me[/url] | [url="http://www.p3foundation.org/"]My charity[/url] | [url="http://www.oxfam.org.nz/events/teams.asp?a=show_team_pages&eventid=30&teamid=6235"]My Trailkwalker team[/url]

scott penk

Postby scott penk » Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:52 am

wtf is tonkin please

Whitey

Postby Whitey » Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:57 am

The person who wrote that should've probably got someone to look over it before they submitted it. Tonkin wasn't the only grammatical error.

melanie

Postby melanie » Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:39 pm

Once I ordered a vege battered dog from Burgerie and they gave me a meat battered dog. It was just after they'd changed vege dog suppliers, so I didn't really know straight away that it wasn't just realistic faux super processed meat. Gross. They are normally really good so I think they just must have misheard me or something.

That BP letter is crazy.

Whitey

Postby Whitey » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:14 pm

Got a call from another BP store manager as well and he's also going to be sending me a voucher or something in the mail.
Here's hoping I get two sets of vouchers 8)

Dick Dynamite

Postby Dick Dynamite » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:17 pm

Nah, just a voucher and a tonkin.

Dennis from Accounts

Postby Dennis from Accounts » Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:47 pm

Forums Member of the Year (28.3%)

I've seen the future brother, it is murder.

Cavale
hot mustard

Postby Cavale » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:39 pm

Whitey wrote:I am writing to say how sorry we are that you got the wrong pie when you came to our site there other day. We have spoke to everyone and ask that they be more careful where the pies are put. Enclosed is a small Tonkin and I asked that next time you are down our way please do call back in. Could you please send me your home address so I can send something to you.

Fuck. No wonder you got wrong pie. You should forward that email to the other guy.

They're either exploiting retarded people or children.
Here's to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The trouble-makers. The round heads in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. They're not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status-quo. You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify, or vilify them. But the only thing you can't do is ignore them. Because they change things. They push the human race forward. And while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius. Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do.

kettles

Postby kettles » Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:15 am

I went to Iguana in Hamilton the other week, ordered a pizza and asked for no cheese or pesto, and it arrived with an entire block of cheese melted through it. So I was all like dude wtf, so they let us have it for free it and my mate ate it, and bought me a new one that was right. I was happy.

Won't be going back cuz the pizza was shit, even I could do way better. but then my cooking is pretty fuckin good.

Return to “Vegetarian and Vegan”