(healthy) diet

Share your recipes and great shopping spots with the rest of us.
chelloveck

(healthy) diet

Postby chelloveck » Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:44 am

im starting one, not a vegan/vege diet specifically, altho it is in the main part, definitely need to cut out all the fatty shit.

so yeh, just kinda after recipe ideas, i know theres already a recipe thread, but its filled up mostly with sugary baking and such, im after protein filled salads and other healthy/active type foods, i already know a few, but when i was eating that way i suffered from a lack of variety, so im keen to see all sorts of shit.

could be of use to a lot of people on here...

chelloveck

Re: (healthy) diet

Postby chelloveck » Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:28 pm

i just ate something that comprised mostly seeds and leaves... help me, before i turn into a rabbit.

lena

Postby lena » Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:42 pm

depends if you are trying to run a marathon, or lose weight?

http://www.welikeitraw.com

guranteed you will lose weight if you have the self discipline to do it.

pattymayonnaise
süße titten

Postby pattymayonnaise » Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:44 pm

Sasquatch

Postby Sasquatch » Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:57 pm

eat beans!
all kinds of beans - super good for you and tasty as fuck, specially in chilli or spicy soups and that kind of thang.

chelloveck

Postby chelloveck » Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:55 pm

lena wrote:depends if you are trying to run a marathon, or lose weight?

http://www.welikeitraw.com

guranteed you will lose weight if you have the self discipline to do it.

yeh ive checked that site a lot, i wish i could make myself eat like that.
but i dont, will try more often tho, thanx for putting it back in my head.

just looking at that wholefoods site now, it looks FUCKIN CHOICE, chur.

il copy/paste the recipes ive made, as i make them, just cos.

oh yeh, kinda lose weight i guess, altho id actually be happier to gain some in the form of msucle etc, just realised im getting a bit slovenly and unhealthy, want to be fit is all, and look a bit less of a fat old man.

kettles

Postby kettles » Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:04 pm

check out www.veganforum.com, heaps of recipe ideas on there

try having just salad for dinner, it fills you up quicker than you'd think. I fill a bowl with iceberg lettuce, shaved carrot (use your peeler to make thin strips), finely chopped capsicum, bean/alfalfa sprouts, red cabbage, mushrooms cooked or raw, fuckin whatever else i have lying round, avocado, thin apple slices are nice. I season it with some lemon or lime juice, salt, pepper, whatever. you can fry some small strips/cubes of tofu in sesame oil til it starts to brown then add some finely chopped ginger. peanuts are good for protein and pinenuts are quite nice in salads too. I also sprinkle flaxseed oil onto the salad for the old omega 3 (which you probably don't need to do). for me salads are best when everything is finely chopped and easy to eat.

If you want to eat healthy just stop choosing food with your tastebuds. reading about nutrition and what happens after the food has been in your mouth is a good way to motivate yourself as well. I'd really like to put on weight. I eat like a horse but it seriously goes nowhere :P

Andrew_TA

Postby Andrew_TA » Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:16 pm

kettles wrote:I'd really like to put on weight. I eat like a horse but it seriously goes nowhere :P

maybe you should stop having salads for dinner? lol

kettles

Postby kettles » Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:30 pm

Andrew_TA wrote:
kettles wrote:I'd really like to put on weight. I eat like a horse but it seriously goes nowhere :P

maybe you should stop having salads for dinner? lol

but after the salad I start eating the tray of roast potatoes that were cooking while I was eating my salad :wink:

Mihka

Postby Mihka » Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:39 am

My favourite meal lately has been brown rice with green beans, peas and corn (or other vegetables), and tofu marinated with tamari soy sauce (cos I can't eat wheat which is normally in other soy sauce), seasoned with cajun seasoning. The tofu takes about 10-15 minutes to grill depending on how crispy you like it. The brown rice tastes especially good if you cook some the day before then fry it up with the beans etc. the next day- it goes kinda crispy. Also optional add-on is sesame oil and/or cashew nuts, healthier if they're not roasted or salted but I always have them roasted/unsalted cos I like them that way. Fills you up for ages, brown rice is a good source of fibre, and it tastes reeeeal good. Good luck mate!

Rob Anybody

Postby Rob Anybody » Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:25 pm

woah, i forgot all about this thread, cheers mihka, ive been making heaps of mean food real similar to whats described in this thread, cashews, pine nuts capiscum in salad with garden vegies, native spinach, sorrel and sowthistle (collectively known as puha) and this thick dark leaved lettuce thats growing here.

wood sorrel(shamrock) is my latest obession, its yum as hell, tastes sorta like apple peel, its similar to a native plant called 'nau' that capt cook called 'scurvy grass' (not the same as other scurvy grasses from around the world) when he came here and fed to his men to prevent scurvy as it is high in vitamin c, wood sorrel is much more of a euro version but is no less good, same goes for sowthistle, which is the form of puha most people recognise(its real name is ruariki), the NZ spinach is damn excellent too, much more tougher and better for salads than the other sort.
wood sorrel and rauriki grow everywhere as weeds i recommend looking both up to see if youve been pulling them out of your garden for years haha.

phil.
snuff wrote:I hate the whole 'atheist' tag eh, It's not like we have a special name for people who don't believe in Santa, they're just adults.

Huey wrote:Trust me, I am ahead of the curve, you just don't realize it.

"I'm not sure about this one ... I think it's about coming of age, I cant remember much about because when it happened to me it was a long time ago. You could buy a packet of fags, a pint of beer and a three piece suit for half a crown and still have enough left to go and see Rudolf Valentino at the Gaumont! I can't afford to go to the pictures these days but I hear they talk in them now."

The Real JeffJack.

Postby The Real JeffJack. » Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:27 pm

^ HE SAID ITS PHIL, BANSTICK TIME!!!!!!!

Just go buy some Whey Protein, decent stuff too Horleys and put in heaps of Oats with it for Breakfast, side of fruit and a low fat Youghurt, tastes good as and fills you up, with max goodness, low fat and minimal carbs.

Rob Anybody

Postby Rob Anybody » Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:30 pm

wood sorrel, flowers can be any colour almost.

puha, grows fuckin everywhere, for salads only the youngest leaves, and they are still pretty bitter, but tolerable, esp mixed with other stuff.
snuff wrote:I hate the whole 'atheist' tag eh, It's not like we have a special name for people who don't believe in Santa, they're just adults.

"I'm not sure about this one ... I think it's about coming of age, I cant remember much about because when it happened to me it was a long time ago. You could buy a packet of fags, a pint of beer and a three piece suit for half a crown and still have enough left to go and see Rudolf Valentino at the Gaumont! I can't afford to go to the pictures these days but I hear they talk in them now."

Rob Anybody

Postby Rob Anybody » Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:31 pm

The Real JeffJack. wrote:^ HE SAID ITS PHIL, BANSTICK TIME!!!!!!!

Just go buy some Whey Protein, decent stuff too Horleys and put in heaps of Oats with it for Breakfast, side of fruit and a low fat Youghurt, tastes good as and fills you up, with max goodness, low fat and minimal carbs.

god youre an idiot, i wouldnt eat whey protein for anything, GTFO, why the fuck do you post in these types of threads?

The Real JeffJack.

Postby The Real JeffJack. » Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:43 pm

Your pretty simple aye, stick to sharpening carrots or in the most of your spare time, fruit.

cirE

Postby cirE » Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:45 pm

i really should just binge less, or purge more, but i can't be fucked doing neither

back over 70kg now
big gut is big
Future Shock wrote:freudian slip, went downa likea sack o potatoes

0.21 6.78 3.31

Rob Anybody

Postby Rob Anybody » Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:50 pm

The Real JeffJack. wrote:Your pretty simple aye, stick to sharpening carrots or in the most of your spare time, fruit.

some good advice, i might shred some carrots and eat some fruit in my spare time, thanx for the suggestion!

YULE

Postby YULE » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:27 am

Rob Anybody wrote:Image
wood sorrel, flowers can be any colour almost.

Holy crap. I used to eat this stuff all the time when I was a kid, it was really tasty.
It's so bizzare remembering things that you haven't eaten since you were ten or so.

Rob Anybody

Postby Rob Anybody » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:41 pm

its regarded as a noxious weed which leads many people to think its toxic, my nana has a partcular hatred for it since when she first moved to the north island she found one of them growing in an otherwise immaculate garden and thought 'what a pretty flower' and potted it, some other houseproud old biddy was over for a cup o' tea and saw it and said 'thats oxalis!' and pointed out that its one of the most difficult to control weeds around, since if you pull it, the bulbs remain and it simply regenerates, which is probably due to it being cultivated by humans and also a favourite of other grazing mammals since the dawn of time.
she was mortified at this social faux pass and has never forgotten the embarrassment, oxalis has become her worst enemy, and she annihilates it wherever she finds it, im looking foward to making her a salad and telling her whats in it afterwards.

Jinerviet

Postby Jinerviet » Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:48 pm

If anyone's still looking for healthy veg recipes, this is one of my fave places to find them: http://www.fatfreevegan.com/

Rob Anybody

Postby Rob Anybody » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:47 pm

cheers, that site looks mean, i just cooked the puha(sow thistle) and NZ spinach and they were both fuckin yum, especially the spinach, that shit has been growing wild here for years and i never tried it til now, i also cooked silverbeet, and it was pretty crap really.

gunna cultivate that spinach from now on, altho, like puha it pretty much looks after itself

dustbinflowers

Postby dustbinflowers » Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:50 pm

Rob Anybody wrote:its regarded as a noxious weed which leads many people to think its toxic, my nana has a partcular hatred for it since when she first moved to the north island she found one of them growing in an otherwise immaculate garden and thought 'what a pretty flower' and potted it, some other houseproud old biddy was over for a cup o' tea and saw it and said 'thats oxalis!' and pointed out that its one of the most difficult to control weeds around, since if you pull it, the bulbs remain and it simply regenerates, which is probably due to it being cultivated by humans and also a favourite of other grazing mammals since the dawn of time.
she was mortified at this social faux pass and has never forgotten the embarrassment, oxalis has become her worst enemy, and she annihilates it wherever she finds it, im looking foward to making her a salad and telling her whats in it afterwards.

you might want to be careful eating much of it eh, the whole family is really high in Oxalic Acid, which can be toxic. At the least it will strip the enamel of your teeth if you eat too much. At worst I'm guessing it wouldn't be so good for your guts.
Uncinia vector

dustbinflowers

Postby dustbinflowers » Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:53 pm

got this from Wikipedia:

Occurrence in nature

Oxalic acid and oxalates are abundantly present in many plants, most notably fat hen (lamb's quarters), sorrel, and Oxalis species. The root and/or leaves of rhubarb and buckwheat are listed being high in oxalic acid.[8]

Other edible plants that contain significant concentrations of oxalic acid include—in decreasing order—star fruit (carambola), black pepper, parsley, poppy seed, amaranth, spinach, chard, beets, cocoa, chocolate, most nuts, most berries, and beans.

The gritty “mouth feel” one experiences when drinking milk with a rhubarb dessert is caused by precipitation of calcium oxalate. Thus even dilute amounts of oxalic acid can readily "crack" the casein found in various dairy products.

Leaves of the tea plant (Camellia sinensis) contain among the greatest measured concentrations of oxalic acid relative to other plants. However the infusion beverage typically contains only low to moderate amounts of oxalic acid per serving, due to the small mass of leaves used for brewing.

[edit] Physiological effects

The affinity of divalent metal ions is sometimes reflected in their tendency to form insoluble precipitates. Thus in the body, oxalic acid also combines with metals ions such as Ca2+, Fe2+, and Mg2+ to deposit crystals of the corresponding oxalates, which irritate the gut and kidneys. Because it binds vital nutrients such as calcium, long-term consumption of foods high in oxalic acid can be problematic. Healthy individuals can safely consume such foods in moderation, but those with kidney disorders, gout, rheumatoid arthritis, or certain forms of chronic vulvar pain (vulvodynia) are typically advised to avoid foods high in oxalic acid or oxalates. The calcium oxalate precipitate (better known as kidney stones) obstruct the kidney tubules. Conversely, calcium supplements taken along with foods high in oxalic acid can cause calcium oxalate to precipitate out in the gut and drastically reduce the levels of oxalate absorbed by the body (by 97% in some cases.)[9][10]

Oxalic acid can also be produced by the metabolism of ethylene glycol ("antifreeze"), glyoxylic acid or ascorbic acid (vitamin C). Under certain conditions of concentration and pH, oxalic acid can precipitate in the kidneys as calcium oxalate crystals, forming an estimated 80% of kidney stones.[11]

Some Aspergillus species produce oxalic acid, which reacts with blood or tissue calcium to precipitate calcium oxalate.[12] There is some preliminary evidence that the administration of probiotics can affect oxalic acid excretion rates[13] (and presumably oxalic acid levels as well.)
Uncinia vector

the croc

Postby the croc » Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:39 pm

Puha is fucking mean, pity they're aint too many other native plants that taste good and are easy to find. This books pretty dope if you want to gather your own stuff, over 190 plants described, just that most you wouldn't want to eat twice:

http://www.fishpond.co.nz/product_info. ... anner_id=1
There's more to life than thrash
So let's get really smashed
and do the heavy head dance

www.facebook.com/paekakpunkshow

Rob Anybody

Postby Rob Anybody » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:46 pm

yeh basically if the sorrel tastes too sour dont eat much of it, just use it as an additive to a salad, its fine in small doses, but if its not sour it doesnt contain very much oxalic acid adn you can munch out, cos it does taste pretty good.

Rob Anybody

Postby Rob Anybody » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:49 pm

oh yeh, and with the NZ spinach, kokihi
Image\
its sorta the same deal, uncooked dont eat too much, but cooked go hard(its yum as)

Return to “Vegetarian and Vegan”