taste and see castle

Share your recipes and great shopping spots with the rest of us.
lena

taste and see castle

Postby lena » Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:13 pm

10/10

i don't know exactly where it is, but this is the address:
State Highway 2, Mangatawhiri

if you leave auckland and head for paeroa you'll find it past the bombay hills

EVERYTHING is vegan apart from one or two things that use honey which they clearly state!

best vegan food i have ever eaten.

they have like 10 flavours of totally ice cream which i had to slap myself to believe it was vegan.
hazelnut, cherry, lemon cream, mint chocolate chip, orange chocolate chip, etc etc etc

sugar free options, gluten free options..

the nicest people in the world run it

i would definitely take a trip just to drive there, have lunch and come back.
its sooooooooooo good.

i feel like it was just an illusion and that if you try to find it, it wont be there because it seems too good to be true.

please support them when you can!!

xpigx

Postby xpigx » Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:41 pm

This place is seriously off the chain.
I dont know how many times we have driven past and moaned about how rad it would be to have a cruelty free ice cream... and the first time we set foot in that place we find out its totally owned and operated by a Vegan family... needless to say I represented in there with 5 different flavours.
Also hooked up some sausage rolls, muffins and pies for the trip home.

Aside from the amazing ice cream, best vegan baking in nz yet...

100000/10

Get amongst it! :wink:

scott penk

Postby scott penk » Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:49 pm

i was told the people that run it are the couple whose baby died a few years ago from 'a vegan diet'. anyone got more info / can substantiate?

Postby ... » Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:16 pm

smells leik bullshiet penk.

the only vegans to have been in the media since the baby died about 10 years ago are OBVIOUSLY THE SAME VEGANS.

yeh i gotta remember to try the vegan icecream and shit.

Brinn

Postby Brinn » Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:25 pm

Someone drive me there, I want some

Ben Fats
Party Girl

Postby Ben Fats » Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:42 pm

Party pills are illegal now
CHAINSMOKERS

Postby ... » Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:43 pm

but i know where to get some

simon

Postby simon » Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:37 pm

id back that icecream as pretty damn nice.
The Ost wrote:
toothbrush wrote:are you like a walking advert for steinlager or something?

I think "sitting" and "the endorsement of euthanasia by community consensus" were the terms you were looking for.

David xvx Ludd

Postby David xvx Ludd » Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:11 pm

penk wrote:i was told the people that run it are the couple whose baby died a few years ago from 'a vegan diet'. anyone got more info / can substantiate?

Wasn't that an American case?
Green | Vegan | Straight Edge | Tattooed | Lawyer | Cyclist | PMA

[url="http://about.me/david.tong"]Me[/url] | [url="http://www.p3foundation.org/"]My charity[/url] | [url="http://www.oxfam.org.nz/events/teams.asp?a=show_team_pages&eventid=30&teamid=6235"]My Trailkwalker team[/url]

MuscleMan
smut peddler

Postby MuscleMan » Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:21 pm

I laugh so much at the complaints that they never tell people the food IS vegan.

So many yobs complain about "that gay castle with fake meat pies" hahaha.

Its a 15min drive from where I live, and I never go there 8)

scott penk

Postby scott penk » Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:27 pm

David xvx Ludd wrote:
penk wrote:i was told the people that run it are the couple whose baby died a few years ago from 'a vegan diet'. anyone got more info / can substantiate?

had a quick look on google and there seems to be an american one too, this is the nz one

http://www.second-opinions.co.uk/child_abuse.html

Postby ... » Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:44 pm

sad that they get 5 years in jail on top of losing their baby... its not as if that wouldnt be punshment enuff.

///

Postby /// » Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:32 pm

I love how some idiotic meat-eaters like to bring these cases up to support their pitiful arguments. Pretty stupid when you compare them to the amounts of omnivore parents who've abused their children. Same with the whole 'but Hitler was a vegetarian' argument (this has been disputed anyway, and if he was, it fucking certainly wasn't for ethical reasons) when you compare him to all the other evil people in the world who consumed/consume meat. And I'd really like to see how many people in prisons throughout the world are vegans/vegetarians.

Ventoux

Postby Ventoux » Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:47 pm

I'd guess that there'd be disproportionately more kids whose health is fucked up from nutrition based problems from eating too many Happy Meals and Coke than from poor vegan diets.

It never ceases to amaze me how automatically defensive people get when you say don't eat meat or don't drink etc..

David xvx Ludd

Postby David xvx Ludd » Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:01 pm

penk wrote:
David xvx Ludd wrote:

had a quick look on google and there seems to be an american one too, this is the nz one

http://www.second-opinions.co.uk/child_abuse.html

Interesting. It's possible that they're the same. Didn't die from a vegan diet though (B12 is easy to get!); died from not getting nutrients then not receiving medical care.

People attributing it to the diet...make me mad. No one in the media blames meat-eating for child obesity etc.

Also:

So what is society to do with people like this? Should doctors tell them how to live healthily on this ridiculously inadequate diet? Or should they try to teach them the right and natural way to eat?

These people say that they believe in God. Surely that should mean that they would want to eat the foods that God designed their bodies to use. Our bodies are not designed to eat a vegan diet. This case and others like it proves that.

Unfortunately, as is well documented, such extreme dietary practices have an effect on brain chemistry. It makes adherents irrational.

Bullshit like this gives me irrational rage...

Dude is a self-taught low-carb fanatic. Also, claims humans are carnivores (not omnivores (or voluntary herbivores, haha)).

All this evidence points to our being pure carnivores, as are the big cats.

But we also have a sense of taste for sweet things, a sense we would not have if it were not useful in some way. So fruit or honey may have formed part of our diet. But it cannot have been an important part of that diet because fruit contains little or no protein, and honey none at all; and protein on a daily basis is essential for health.

Gold! I might actually email this guy and challenge him to live for two years on raw meat alone...

[url="http://about.me/david.tong"]Me[/url] | [url="http://www.p3foundation.org/"]My charity[/url] | [url="http://www.oxfam.org.nz/events/teams.asp?a=show_team_pages&eventid=30&teamid=6235"]My Trailkwalker team[/url]

///

Postby /// » Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:16 pm

Ventoux wrote:I'd guess that there'd be disproportionately more kids whose health is fucked up from nutrition based problems from eating too many Happy Meals and Coke than from poor vegan diets.

It never ceases to amaze me how automatically defensive people get when you say don't eat meat or don't drink etc..

Amen.

Sicinius

Postby Sicinius » Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:17 pm

What a genius

///

Postby /// » Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:18 pm

Well hello there, was waitin' for you to pop in and make a smart-arse comment.

Sicinius

Postby Sicinius » Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:22 pm

That was aimed at the idiot Dave was quoting, not at you.

lena

Postby lena » Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:33 pm

i would 100% stay vegan through pregnancy

b12 is easy enough to get.

i would also 100% bring a child up vegan and if anyone said that was child abuse i'd call them an ignorant fool.

what happened to that couple is terribly sad.

anyway.

taste and see castle = amazing.

steve you are such a dick for not going there, its the BEST.

have a kumara pie you will be so stoked.

MuscleMan
smut peddler

Postby MuscleMan » Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:54 pm

I fucking hate kumara.

But in saying that those mushroom and onion mince sausage rolls/pies are pretty fucking dece.

Devon

Postby Devon » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:02 am

steve f wrote:

WAT?!
Bring some stuff up this weekend!!!
Pipiru piru piru pipiru pi

lena

Postby lena » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:18 am

Devon wrote:
steve f wrote:

WAT?!
Bring some stuff up this weekend!!!

defs get a sausage roll and a kumara pie.

Sasquatch

Postby Sasquatch » Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:32 am

Kumara pie = slang for butt sex? :?

lena

Postby lena » Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:32 pm

i dont know what kind of butt sex you've had d but it must be pretty freaky to draw those conclusions

hey take your mrs there there is heaps of gluten free stuff (not a euphemism for any sexual act)

Livestock

Postby Livestock » Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:35 pm

/// wrote:
Ventoux wrote:I'd guess that there'd be disproportionately more kids whose health is fucked up from nutrition based problems from eating too many Happy Meals and Coke than from poor vegan diets.

Amen.

fully backed.. i found theres a few different reactions..

1) they get defensive and say they dont think its good for your health
2)they try and say something like "oh yeah i dont eat that much meat
3) they just absolutely cannot see how you can not eat a steak .. one gu asked me "so you dont eat big ben pies?" 4 times! (worst food in the world by the way)

.. as soon as you say "so could you kill that animal?" theyre pretty much fucked not many people can honestly admit that.. of they do theyre generally full of shit..

Ventoux

Postby Ventoux » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:42 pm

4) What about chicken? Not even fish?? What do you eat then?

clancy

Postby clancy » Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:09 pm

Livestock wrote:
/// wrote:

Amen.

2)they try and say something like "oh yeah i dont eat that much meat

girls are the worst at that one I've noticed. If you eat meat, then sweet, don't pretend you don't just in case your going to offend someone.

the croc

Postby the croc » Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:28 pm

David xvx Ludd wrote:Gold! I might actually email this guy and challenge him to live for two years on raw meat alone...

Erm before you go getting all high and mighty, some Inuit tribes get pretty close, and other Western Arctic explorers have survived off meat alone for substantial periods of time with no apparent negative side effects.

Found it:
Stefansson documented the fact that most Inuit lived on a diet of about 90% meat and fish, often going 6-9 months a year on nothing but meat and fish--essentially, a zero-carb diet. He found that he and his fellow European-descent explorers were also perfectly healthy on such a diet. When medical authorities questioned him on this, he and a fellow explorer agreed to undertake a study under the auspices of the Journal of the American Medical Association to demonstrate that they could eat a 100% meat diet in a closely-observed laboratory setting for the first several weeks, with paid observers for the rest of an entire year. The results were published in the Journal of the AMA, and both men were perfectly healthy on such a diet, without vitamin supplementation or anything else in their diet except meat.[5] However, hunters like the Inuits, who traditionally obtain most of their dietary energy from wild animals and therefore eat a low-carbohydrate diet,[6] seem to have a high mortality from stroke

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vilhjalmur_Stefansson#Low-carb_diet_of_meat_and_fish

Just sayin'
There's more to life than thrash
So let's get really smashed
and do the heavy head dance

www.facebook.com/paekakpunkshow

David xvx Ludd

Postby David xvx Ludd » Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:46 pm

I see your Icelander and raise you one disease: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scurvy (at least)

Humans are biologically omnivores.

Return to “Vegetarian and Vegan”