Vegan Recipes

Share your recipes and great shopping spots with the rest of us.
Andrew_TA

Re: Vegan Recipes

Postby Andrew_TA » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:56 pm

8)

the tofu feta is pretty average, they had expired stuff going for $2 last time i was there.

soy mayo from there though=!WIN!

yipeeyiyo

Postby yipeeyiyo » Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:12 pm

in my pumpkin soup leave out the potato.. it does not add much.. extra pumpkin if you like!

ratzillah

Postby ratzillah » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:17 pm

one cup of prime nz beef

yipeeyiyo

Postby yipeeyiyo » Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:49 pm

quinoa is sooo versatile!

ratzillah wrote:one cup of prime nz beef
one cup of prime nz beef

kinda joke I would make if I wasnt vegetarian!

Whitey

Postby Whitey » Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:20 pm

Spicy Pumpkin Soup

Half a pumpkin – chopped in small pieces.
1 onion - diced
3 cloves garlic – chopped fine.
1 Teaspoon ground ginger
2 teaspoons curry powder
Dash of cayenne pepper
6 cups water
3 teaspoons vege stock
½ cup Milk/Water

- Add onion garlic and ginger to large pot with oil and cook to soften.
- Add curry powder, cayenne and pumpkin. Mix and heat for 1 min or so.
- Add water and stock and boil the hell outta it for 30 mins - till pumpkin is super soft and ready for blending
- Chuck in blender and blend till smooth. At this point I add about ½ - 1 of cup of milk/water to get the right consistency, that’s up to you.

- You can add extras like coriander or parsley + turmeric if you feel adventurous.

I'm vege so I just use normal milk - assume soy milk will work, but failing that waters sweet :D
BigBadBazza wrote:keep your shit life experiences for facebook status updates

xSUSPECTx
argumentative cunt

Postby xSUSPECTx » Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:56 am

delicious pie, for the eating of.
pretty much a haphazard mess anyone could make, but anyone was me and i pretty much just want to remember this 'recipe' myself.

½ large onion
1 and ½ cups of red lentils(approx)
1 can chopped tomatoes.
about 4 good sized leftover boiled taters from the previous night.
½ cup of quinoa(approx)
handful of punkin seeds
heaped teaspoon of turmeric
2 heaped teaspoons of cayenne
2 heaped teaspoons of 'hot curry powder'(garam masala would be better)
2 heaped teaspoons of whole cumin seeds(cant be omitted, ever, from anything)
lots of worcestershire sauce(yes, most brands are vegan, but lea and perrins are not)
salt to taste(or Oi! sauce)
1 heaped tablespoon of LSA
water as needed(soaks a LOT)
some garlic.
bit of Oi!l for frying the alliums.
1 heaping great big lump of crunchy peanut butter.

cashews and tofu would also go well, mind you, fuck anything really, i was gunna throw in some cauli and some frozen mixed vege but the pot was getting too full. extra chilli wouldnt do no harm to noone neither, but its already hot for noobs.

bung it all in a pot and cook it, then wrap it in pastry and fuckin cook it again, should be pretty good, mine is.

it should turn out looking somewhat like this, only way bigger.
ImageImage

PANDAB

Postby PANDAB » Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:39 am

i hate internet/punkas fuckups

the vege society approved pre-made-ready-to-bake pastry with canned lentils (OR - split red lentils, soaked and cooked) with light brown "bisto" gravy, water, chopped onion, mashed garlic and ginger, salt/pepper, smashed into the pastry casing i mentioned, BOOM. goes fantastically with boiled peeled and chopped potatoes, mashed with soya milk and oliviani. shepard's animal friendly pie

PANDAB

Postby PANDAB » Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:41 am

also.. of course.. corn, peas, carrots..

xSUSPECTx
argumentative cunt

Postby xSUSPECTx » Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:43 am

fuckin yum, i must make that.
i made another pie, similar recipe but made my own pastry which was much easier than i thought and real good.

p.s. dont need to soak red lentils.

PANDAB

Postby PANDAB » Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:06 pm

oh true that, you know, boiled up, soft, delicious. currently in wellington for punkfest, aunty mena's! 0X

deathbyejaculation

Postby deathbyejaculation » Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:45 pm

175g Hash butter
1 cup sugar
3 Tbsp cocoa
Egg replacement equivalent to 3 eggs
1/2 cup boiling water
2 cups flour
1tsp baking powder

Shove it all together, bake at 180 for about 45 minutes
Former Child Star wrote:show stolen by punchy the party girl

the

Postby the » Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:38 pm

ratzillah wrote:one cup of prime nz beef

lol youre so funny! ahaha genius

totally.

Any Day Now

Postby Any Day Now » Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:53 am

I'm trying to cut weight at the moment, so I've been on a real salad buzz, this is my favorite at the moment, I just make a huge bowl of it and demolish over a day or two.

Roast Vege Salad.

I medium sized kumara diced
1 red onion diced
1/4 of a pumpkin diced
1 red capsicum cut into chunky bits
2-3 tomatoes
1 avocado
5 cups baby spinach
2 Tbsp olive oil
Crushed garlic to taste
fresh herbs diced
5 Brazil nuts coarsly chopped
2 pieces of brown/rye bread toasted and cubed

mixed the kumara and pumpkin with 1 tbsp oil, herbs and garlic. roast until soft. Add in the red onion and capsicum mixed in the remaining oil, herbs and garlic and roast until all is crisp. Leave to cool.

Throw together spinach, avocado, tomatoes, brazil nuts, roasted veges and toast . Toss and munch.

You can add potatoes if you like, I also throw in some quinoa if i need a calcium boost.

BLUEPOWERADE

Postby BLUEPOWERADE » Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:38 pm

well i know what im making for dinner

the infamousme nigga

Postby the infamousme nigga » Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:14 pm

steamed hams?

BLUEPOWERADE

Postby BLUEPOWERADE » Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:29 pm

Aurora Borealis? At this time of year? At this time of day? In this part of the country? Localized entirely within your kitchen?

Any Day Now

Postby Any Day Now » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:27 am

Just found the best site ever, Vegan loaf generator:

http://www.veganlunchbox.com/loaf_studio.html

deathbyejaculation

Postby deathbyejaculation » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:06 pm

Made this up on the spot before, it's feckin oooorrrrsum

1 eggplant, sliced
1 tsp tumeric
1 tsp fresh coriander
1 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp ground cumin
1 small onion, diced
1 tomato, mashed
olive oil

Mix spices and onion together. Smear it all over the eggplant, add onion, stir fry in olive oil for 5-10 minutes. Good with bread rolls
Former Child Star wrote:show stolen by punchy the party girl

PANDAB

Postby PANDAB » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:05 pm

fuck that website's cool!

Ben Fats
Party Girl

Postby Ben Fats » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:51 pm

SOM TUM.
spicy Thai salad

was going to retype for this but thought it'd be easier to link.

My Recipe
CHAINSMOKERS

xSUSPECTx
argumentative cunt

Postby xSUSPECTx » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:47 pm

been working on this recipe for a while, nearing perfection, at least if i can make it uniform in result... posting here as much for my benefit as anyone elses :P

1 cup red lentils
about two tblspns of red quinoa
same of chia seed.
2-3 teaspoons of (to taste)vege stock or soy -if all else fails
curry powder, two heaped teaspoons, i use a mix of vencat hot and this mild one that tastes real good from moshims
some sweet thai chilli sauce, probably about two table spoons
half tspn cumin seeds
one head of broccoli
two tablespoons of LSA

put lentils, quinoa and chia in the pot with a litre of boiling water, add half the curry and the stock, cook til they are ready, probably about 5mins.
chuck in broccoli in the size you want it(not too small) turn it down and leave to simmer for about 5mins.
when teh broc is done(or better, NEARLY done)shut off the heat and add remaining ingredients, stir, leave to sit a while, salt to taste and there ya have it.

the crucial part is cooking the broc just right, too much it loses flavour, too little it hasnt developed its perfect flavour, nor imparted it to the liquid, its kinda gotta be al dente like pasta... but im sure you all know that.
the chia is actually quite important, it gives the soup a certain texture and thickness i think it is lacking without, it suspends the lentils and quinoa evenly thruout the soup (otherwise they sit on the bottom)and makes it all seem pretty pro. dont skip the sweet chilli ether, i know most people dont keep this stuff but its perfect for this soup, it needs a lil sweetness or it isnt balanced, but if you prefer it spicier you could add some chillis or sriracha or whatever.

this soup is designed as a hangover cure, and its pretty much the best one ive come up with, pretty much fills all the nutritional gaps and sends me off to sleep.
Carly Ngarotata-Simon wrote:U misd two commas u illiterate fuk. It should read...mainstream, whilst at the same time, ... Who da dumb cunt now. Im bilingual. I can txt speak n also write in 'proper' english havin bn a legal secretary 4 13 years. So im actualy fukn streams ahead in inteligence ova u. Plus i hav a life! I dnt waste my time typing evry leta out cos i have a life! Dum ass. Peace, im out. Hahahahaha

Spots2012 wrote:do animal rights activists vehemently oppose Maori eating pigs etc, or are they willing to let that one slide?

4 Horsemen

Postby 4 Horsemen » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:37 am

Mexican Squash Soup

Fry below list in a 50/50 butter/Olive Oil mix. (Vegans ditch the butter & just use olive oil to fry) Fry on Medium heat til soft so everything sweats down:
Celery, Red Onions, Garlic, Capsicum (Only if in season), Carrot (use potatoe peeler to create a pile of really fine strips of carrot so it cooks faster) & Garlic. With Salt & Pepper added. (measurements aren't that important)

Cut Squash in half, sprinkle with pepper & oil. Roast with seeds & skin in oven until soft. When cool scoop-out seeds, & skin & discard.

Add fried veg into a food processor along with squash mix, add either chicken stock or just water if you don't have stock or if you're vegan, tastes just fine either way. Also add a heaped tablespoon of 'Smoked Paprika' (Available from Indian 'Bulk Food' store on Dominion Rd behind Wendy's & in the Wendys 'Drive-in' carpark), Add 2 heaped tablespoons (or to taste) 'Chipolate (dunno if that's the right spelling) Paste' (Available from Nosh) (this will add the smokey flavour). Then blend til smooth. You may have to add a little more liquid as you're blending. -Soup should be thick, but not REALLY thick. Return to pot & warm. Freezes well. If making extra to freeze, use 2 squashes instead of one - It's a soup you can keep watering down too to get it to the right thickness. This is hella cheap & hella easy.

Whitey

Postby Whitey » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:46 am

Actually stolen from the Healthy Foods website. Pretty sure this is vegan, I made this the other night and it's the business.

Italian tofu meatballs

Ingredients
300g firm tofu, mashed
1 onion, very finely chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed
1/4 cup ground almonds
2 slices wholewheat bread, crumbed
2 tablespoons wholemeal or plain flour
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
2 tablespoons salt-reduced soy sauce
1 teaspoon dried basil or handful fresh basil, plus extra fresh basil, to garnish
oil spray, to grease

Instructions
Step 1 Preheat oven to 200ºC. Combine all ingredients, except oil, in a bowl and mix well.

Step 2 Shape into 16-20 balls (depending on the size).

Step 3 Spray a non-stick baking dish with oil. Add tofu balls and bake in oven for 15 minutes, then turn over and bake for 15 more minutes.

Step 4 Toss meatballs in cooked spaghetti and tomato sauce. Serve sprinkled with fresh basil.
BigBadBazza wrote:keep your shit life experiences for facebook status updates

PertHJ
Inventor of 'LOAL'

Postby PertHJ » Sun May 23, 2010 8:36 pm

you can make pretty good 'meat balls' out of lentils as well - pretty much above recipe but instead of tofu use some lent's.
http://hungjurynz.bandcamp.com/
http://www.discogs.com/user/pertHJ

Drinking beers, hell yeah!! Smoking dope, KICK TO THROAT!!

SupaScoopa

Postby SupaScoopa » Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:07 pm

Made this lastnight - twas pretty awesome. Its a Revive recipie that i modded slightly:

INGREDIENTS
2 zucchini grated (coarse setting on your hand grater)
1/2 Cup corn - whole kernel
1/2 red bell pepper- finley diced
1 1/4 cup chickpea flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons black sesame seeds
2 tablespoons white sesame seeds
3 tablespoons rice bran oil for frying
1 T curry powder

METHOD
1. Mix all the ingredients together in a mixing bowl. The moisture from the zucchini should make everything the right consistency however you may need to add a little water.
2. Let the mixture sit for around 20 minutes in the fridge, then stir again. If you are in a rush this is not absolutely necessary but you will end up with a more consistent mix that will stick together better.
3. Shallow fry in oil in a hot pan for around 2-3 minutes each side or until golden brown and cooked right through.
4. Serve immediately with sweet chilli sauce on the side

Yellow Romans

Postby Yellow Romans » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:08 pm

Non-Shepherd's Pie

2 cups kidney beans
5 medium potatoes
1 onion
140g tin tomato paste
2 tablespoons dark soya sauce
1 cup peas
1 tablespoon mixed herbs

Soak the kidney beans and cook as normal. While they are cooking, chop up the potatoes and boil and mash them. When the kidney beans are done, drain off the liquid into a bowl. Mash up the kidney beans. If you are using frozen peas, use some of the kidney bean water to boil them. If you are using tinned peas, you can add them to the next stage from the can. The next stage is to chop and fry the onion on a medium heat. When it is done, add the herbs and soya sauce, and about 75% of a cup of the water the beans were cooked in along with the peas (if you used frozen peas then just dump them in with the onion along with the water they were cooked in). Add the tomato paste and bring to the boil and mix everything together well. Mix this with the kidney beans, If it's too wet then you can add a bit of dry tvp to soak up the excess liquid; the mix needs to be fairly firm. Dump it in a pie dish, level it out and then put the mashed potato on top. Smooth off the potato and then use a fork to make pretty patterns in it. Alternatively you can write rude or offensive messages about your dinner guests/flatmates on it using a knife. Bake it in the oven on 200 degrees for about 20 minutes.
Keep a cigarette lighter on hand as an hour or two after eating the pie you can use it to light your farts. A cheap and amusing way to spend those cold winter nights.

skirmish

Postby skirmish » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:32 pm

ever since i moved in with vegans and started eating vegan myself, my regular recipe has consisted of this:

1. Boil rice or pasta
2. Find assorted vegetables in kitchen, throw in pan with randomly selected herbs and spices.
3. ?????
4. Profit.

im probably going to die from such a lack of varied diet.

for the record, im eating dinner now. pene pasta, with brocolli, pear, tofu, chickpeas, tumeric, rosemary, cumin, and soy sauce. all mushed into something amazing. chur.

algravy

Postby algravy » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:01 pm

thank u 2 all who put up recipes.with the more i read about foods the more interested im becoming in vegetarian and vegan meals and this is a cool place to start.

Livestock

Postby Livestock » Tue May 03, 2011 8:24 pm

Jeffs mean as fucken chilli nig.

1 x packet of vegan burger patties or some of those sausages (this makes it a bit expenny but still.. its mean)
3 x cans kidney beans (or those hot watties chilli bean m'fuckas)
4 x stalks of celery diced up
4 x Tablespoons of hot chilli powder (or you can girl it up and only put 2 in there)
3 x Tablespoons of molasses (can chuck in maple syrup, I normally do cause can't always get molasses)
1 x cube of vegetable stock
Half a bottle of kaitaia fire (I like that kiwifruit one)
2 x habanero peppers diced as fine as a motherfucker (or you can girl it up and use cayennes/not put them in)
some cilantro and bay leaves chopped up
1 x cup of water
maybe some salt and pepper

Chuck all that shit in your slow cooker, and cook it on high for around 3 hours.
After 3 hours.. Dissolve 3 TBs of flour in a cup of hot water, and chuck that shit in the chilli.
Cook for maybe another hour.

Success!!

Interested to know if you have any variations yo.

yellowbus

Postby yellowbus » Tue May 17, 2011 10:38 pm

add a bit of cinnamon, sounds odd but it improves the flavour of chilli greatly imo

Return to “Vegetarian and Vegan”