Vegan Recipes

Share your recipes and great shopping spots with the rest of us.
pattymayonnaise
süße titten

Re: Vegan Recipes

Postby pattymayonnaise » Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:50 am

^ Will add lots when I get home :D

Jay Herself

Postby Jay Herself » Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:58 am

pattymayonnaise wrote:^ Will add lots when I get home :D

Hey cool, just make sure you send me your email addy/username so I can add you to the contributors list. :D
Fuck everyone.

melanie

Postby melanie » Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:14 pm

Jay Herself wrote:Hey guys.

I'm kinda lazy when it comes to looking up recipes, but not so lazy when it comes to making new blogs in the middle of the night, and thus! http://vegannz.blogspot.com

I thought it would be cool to have a whole lot of recipes in one place (I'm aware that's what this thread is, but not everyone uses punkas) and being able to add other members to the community means that anyone can add recipes etc to the blog, or ask questions about anything vegan/vege related.

I've put up a few recipes tonight, all of them ridiculously unhealthy, but delicious sweet treats, so it would be cool to get some other people in there putting up some stuff that won't cause me a heart attack one day.

Anyway, if you want to join, or don't mind me putting up your recipes give me an email jayherself@gmail.com

This is a really good idea because there is a lack of NZ veg blogs. But your chocolate cupcake recipe is from VCTOTW and it's maybe kind of shitty to post it without acknowledging the authors (or even asking their permission.. Isa is pretty reasonable about this). I've got a veganised self-saucing butterscotch pudding recipe I'll post sometime for you.

Jay Herself

Postby Jay Herself » Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:25 pm

melanie wrote:
Jay Herself wrote:Hey guys.

I'm kinda lazy when it comes to looking up recipes, but not so lazy when it comes to making new blogs in the middle of the night, and thus! http://vegannz.blogspot.com

I thought it would be cool to have a whole lot of recipes in one place (I'm aware that's what this thread is, but not everyone uses punkas) and being able to add other members to the community means that anyone can add recipes etc to the blog, or ask questions about anything vegan/vege related.

I've put up a few recipes tonight, all of them ridiculously unhealthy, but delicious sweet treats, so it would be cool to get some other people in there putting up some stuff that won't cause me a heart attack one day.

Anyway, if you want to join, or don't mind me putting up your recipes give me an email jayherself@gmail.com

This is a really good idea because there is a lack of NZ veg blogs. But your chocolate cupcake recipe is from VCTOTW and it's maybe kind of shitty to post it without acknowledging the authors (or even asking their permission.. Isa is pretty reasonable about this). I've got a veganised self-saucing butterscotch pudding recipe I'll post sometime for you.

Ah fair call! I don't even own the book, can't even remember where I came across the recipe to begin with, but judging by it's complete awesomeness, it makes sense that it would come from there haha. Will edit the post shortly. Cheers Melanie.
Fuck everyone.

Horus

Postby Horus » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:29 pm

ROAST COCONUT.

Pick out a nice coconut - one with a light brown exterior, intact 3 dots on the bottom and plenty of liquid when shaken. Pick out the 3rd eye of the nut and drain off the milk -- you're probably thirsty by now - yummo!

Drop the coconut on the concrete to split it open.

Heat up the oven nice and hot!
Drizzle Tamari over the flesh - leave the coconut meat attached to the shell for roasting.

Roast for 45 mins or longer if you can - till it's burning in places and smelling amazing.

Take out and cool a bit. Using a butter knife lift the flesh from the husk.
Cut the flesh into hunks and dust with black salt - voila!

Really, really yum.

melanie

Postby melanie » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:57 pm

Jay Herself wrote:Ah fair call! I don't even own the book, can't even remember where I came across the recipe to begin with, but judging by it's complete awesomeness, it makes sense that it would come from there haha. Will edit the post shortly. Cheers Melanie.
Cool. Here is the Butterscotch Self Saucing Pudding recipe:

3/4 cup brown sugar
1 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
pinch salt
1/2 cup soy milk
1/4 cup canola oil
2 tablespoons golden syrup

1/2 cup brown sugar
1 Tablespoon cornflour
1 1/4 cup boiling water
2 tablespoons golden syrup

Preheat oven to 180°C. Stir brown sugar, flour, baking powder and salt together. Whisk together milk, oil and golden syrup until smooth, then pour onto flour mixture. Mix together until smooth. Spoon into greased pudding bowl (1L ovenproof dish). In another bowl, mix additional brown sugar and cornflour together and sprinkle over pudding mixture. Then mix the additional golden syrup with the boiling water and pour over pudding. Place in preheated oven and cook for 45 minutes, or until skewer comes out clean.

You can pretty easily turn this into a chocolate version by replacing some of the flour with cocoa powder, and using white sugar instead of brown sugar and golden syrup.

eta: Just saw you already have a choc self saucing pudding :) You have heaps of recipes up now!

stabwound

Postby stabwound » Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:34 pm

cool blog

im hungry

Devon

Postby Devon » Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:37 pm

Just made the Apple Boysenberry crumble. But, strawberry and peach instead. Fuckin' mean as. Currently eating it with the almond nougat ice cream from the safe shop. 8)
Pipiru piru piru pipiru pi

pattymayonnaise
süße titten

Postby pattymayonnaise » Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:39 pm

Devon wrote:Just made the Apple Boysenberry crumble. But, strawberry and peach instead. Fuckin' mean as. Currently eating it with the almond nougat ice cream from the safe shop. 8)

8)

Also, fuck. I need to go back to the safe shop and get me some of that ice cream.

Devon

Postby Devon » Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:25 pm

The lady that works there let me sample a new flavour today. Coconut ice cream. Amazing!

Devon

Postby Devon » Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:28 pm

Fiending on another crumble. Peach and apple. 8)

Horus

Postby Horus » Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:17 pm

PEPPERMINT CREAMS

Ingredients –

3 Tblsp Tofu
4 Tblsp margarine
(Check the label carefully to be sure it is dairy-free!)
500g icing sugar
1 bottle Peppermint Essence (standard small size bottle)
3 whole fresh chili peppers, or 4 dried ones
4 Tblsp Cocoa powder
1 cup Coconut dessicated

Method –

Sprinkle the coconut on a plate. Take all the other ingredients, toss into bowl, and beat together. Roll into small balls, then roll in coconut to reduce the stickiness. Press the top of each ball with a cotton reel. Keep in fridge for 24 hours before serving.

Brento

Postby Brento » Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:17 pm

Came across this mvvtal az blog with vegan treat recipies.

also names some famous Metal vegans

http://metalvegan666.blogspot.com/

Any Day Now

Postby Any Day Now » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:32 am

So my partner just brewed up a crapload of hash oliviano marg, anyone got any sweet recipes that mask the taste?

yvon

Postby yvon » Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:41 am

I've made a mean vegan pie for vegan pie fest tomorrow. One of my favourite pies is a creamy chicken and mushroom pie, so I was trying to figure out something in a similar vein.

Mushroom and Onion Miso Pie.

-Vegan Flakey Pastry (New Way or whatever)
-Mushrooms
-Onions
-Olivani
-Miso paste
-flour (about 2 tablespoons)
-Black Pepper
-boiling water

(no quantities because it depends how big your pie dish is)

Slice up your onions and mushrooms. I used 4 smallish onions and about 18 medium-large white button mushrooms because they were on special. Melt some olivani and fry them up in it. Just until the onion is starting to go golden brown. Then strain out the liquid if there is a lot. Maybe keep it for stock if you like.
Line your pie dish with pastry, poke it lots with a fork, and bung it in a 180C oven until it's starting to colour. (this is to stop the bottom from getting soggy). I use quite a shallow dish and make a thin pie.
Now for the creamy sauce!
Make up about a cup of miso, maybe a cup and a half, using about a tablespoon of miso paste and boiling water. (depends how strongly flavoured you want your sauce)
In a saucepan melt some olivani, about 2 heaped tablespoons I guess. Once it's well melted, chuck in a heaped tablespoon of flour and stir vigourously with a wooden spoon until smooth (it might go quite solid but don't worry). Add a little miso to thin it down and keep stirring until smooth. Add another tablespoon of flour and stir until smooth. Then add a little more miso, stir until smooth, keep adding the miso bit by bit until you have a sauce that is like a slightly thick pale gravy. Now add black pepper to taste.
Mix the sauce into the mushrooms and onions. Fill the pie shell. (if the mix looks too runny, use a slotted spoon so you leave some of the sauce behind). Cut some pastry into strips and lay a criss-cross pattern on top of the pie. Brush the top with some oil, or the mushroom stock that's left over from cooking.
Bung it in the oven on 180C until the top is golden.
Let it cool a bit before cutting it.
"All paid employment degrades the mind."

Any Day Now

Postby Any Day Now » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:19 pm

This is a sexy Creme Brulee recipe from a friend....havent tried it yet, but it looks sooo good

Ingredients

1lb silken tofu
4 tablespoons vanilla vegan soymilk
3/4 cup vegan sugar plus 2 tablespoons sugar put aside
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 tablespoons cornstarch
dash of salt

Directions

Preheat oven to 350F
Press tofu until a little, not a lot, of water leaches out
Place tofu and all other ingredients (except for reserved 2 tablespoons of sugar) into a blender and blend until a smooth, creamy texture is created. It should be the consistency of a thin pudding.
Pour into custard cups or a pie plate and bake in a water bath until the tofu mixture browns a little and a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean
Remove mixture from water bath and sprinkle reserved sugar on top. Place under a hot broiler untiil the sugar melts and turns caramel colored.
Allow sugar to harden
Serve warm or refrigerate.

lena

Postby lena » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:50 pm

i'd try that
i dont think the vanilla soy milk would cut it though
you'd probably have to add scraped vanilla pods, and a small amount of vegan custard powder

crackheavy

Postby crackheavy » Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:06 pm

my aunt runs a bakery in Wellington, they sell all the cakes to Moore Wilsons. The best cake they make is by far their vegan choc cake. Fucking amazing. I have the recipe from when I was doing their costing. I'll track it down...

Horus

Postby Horus » Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:07 pm

ooh yes plse! A vegan choc cake has GOT to be amazing!

Andrew_TA

Postby Andrew_TA » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:30 pm

Horus

Postby Horus » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:48 am

^ The photos of the choc cake in that recipe look great,
but BEWARE.

"White vinegar" is NOT vegan. It is made from fermented whey, a dairy by-product!!

So to make that choc cake recipe vegan, substitute CIDER VINEGAR (made from apples.)

Andrew_TA

Postby Andrew_TA » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:57 am

Do you have anything to back that up?

Quick google search sounds like it's made with acid..

Horus

Postby Horus » Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:01 pm

Wow, looks like I am, wrong on that one! Guess milk makes too much money to "waste" on making vinegar with it.

I can't recall where I got that info, might have been reading the small print on a label once.

But I still recommend use cider vin.

Andrew_TA

Postby Andrew_TA » Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:04 pm

white vineger is cheaper tho

Any Day Now

Postby Any Day Now » Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:16 pm

Horus wrote:Wow, looks like I am, wrong on that one! Guess milk makes too much money to "waste" on making vinegar with it.

I can't recall where I got that info, might have been reading the small print on a label once.

But I still recommend use cider vin.

haha i reckon too, my dad swears by this, and actually has a shot everyday, he never gets sick either....

Horus

Postby Horus » Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:22 pm

Yes, the health benefits of cider vinegar are amazing! I first met it when I went to a free talk by some overseas health book writer, and she extolled it. She suggested use it to wash yr face etc with in the shower, gargle with it, and drink a few spoonsful per day (like yr dad, who may have heard the same speaker.)

My preferred solution is to sprinkle savoury yeast flakes on my vegies & drip 3 lidsful of cider vinegar over that. Keeps me healthy!

crackheavy

Postby crackheavy » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:17 am

I swear by cider vinegar.

I put a shot of it in my tea, or in a hot lemon honey in the mornings.

It's not that nice tasting but mixed you can't even tell.

crackheavy

Postby crackheavy » Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:22 am

crackheavy wrote:my aunt runs a bakery in Wellington, they sell all the cakes to Moore Wilsons. The best cake they make is by far their vegan choc cake. Fucking amazing. I have the recipe from when I was doing their costing. I'll track it down...

Well I seem to have misplaced the recipe... I will get it I promise, at least I have the ingredients list for the cake :cry:

Oil 1500 ml
Cold Water 3000 ml
Vanilla 30 mg
Cocoa 410 mg
Sugar 2700 mg
Flour 2400 mg
Baking Soda 45 mg
White Wine Vinegar 300 ml
Salt 5 mg
Raspberries 1000 mg

yipeeyiyo

Postby yipeeyiyo » Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:46 pm

realgood and easy pumpkin soup.. still not sure i should post my personal gem...

2 onions diced
3 cloves garlic
3 tbs oil
1 tsp cumin powder
1 potato
1/2 crown pumpkin
1 litre of vege stock.. make thi up with cubes if you like

and heres where the magic happens

1 tsp of mustard

fry down onion and garlic in oil with some solid addition of fresh ground pepper, add cumin and lightly fry for another five min.. onions should take on a clear apperance..
Add cubed pumpkin and potato with vege stock.. bring to boil for five reduce heat to simmer..
add mustard..
its done...
blend if you have facilty.. use a potato masher if thats wat you got!
this is my own recipe and it really is so good!

PANDAB

Re:

Postby PANDAB » Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:39 pm

Any Day Now wrote:
kitten wrote:vegetarian chopped up cheese (anyone know if I can get vegetarian feta anywhere?)

Vegan Recipes

???

can you get soy feta (mean if you can)?

village organics in frankton (one of the better stocked stores here in hamilton, the only place that stocks cheezly in these parts i believe) have "to-feta" haven't tried it though...

ps. andrew ta's peanut butter chocolate cake, fuck YES

Return to “Vegetarian and Vegan”