Advice on Vege garden

Share your recipes and great shopping spots with the rest of us.
dustbinflowers

Re: Advice on Vege garden

Postby dustbinflowers » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:33 pm

Jealous! been looking for that for years!

On the vege front, autumn has arrived, with sleet, hail, etc. Was 6 degrees last night, due 4 degrees tonight. My tomatoes and basil are now wearing plastic coats to keep them toasty.

Ellerslie flower show was a sea of old ladies in those white disposable raincoats that make one look like a giant walking condom.
Good times.

Oh, and there were some awesome garden displys too, esp edible garden designs.
Uncinia vector

BanalityDUFF

Postby BanalityDUFF » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:48 am

turns out, after further investigation, the caterpillars on my tomatos are actually soybean loopers -> http://www.landcareresearch.co.nz/resea ... ?Bu_ID=145

still unimpressed.

the croc

Postby the croc » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:27 pm

J wrote:storm destroy half the corn the other day. leaving it lying down in the hope it might be strong enough to finish off what it has started

Bamboo stake it maybe?
There's more to life than thrash
So let's get really smashed
and do the heavy head dance

www.facebook.com/paekakpunkshow

PertHJ
Inventor of 'LOAL'

Postby PertHJ » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:00 am

Planted my first veggie garden in a couple of years the other day, went a bit mad and planted: 2 kinds of lettuce, cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, spinach, silver beat, leaks, snow peas, baby carrots. I imagine it will get stupidly overcrowded in a month or so and have to do some culling.

Also got a nice little herb garden going, everything getting a bit overcrowded in there too...
http://hungjurynz.bandcamp.com/
http://www.discogs.com/user/pertHJ

Drinking beers, hell yeah!! Smoking dope, KICK TO THROAT!!

yvon

Postby yvon » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:39 am

The same thing that ate my tomatoes last year got them again this year, but worse. Whatever it is it eats little bits of the fruit and they go black. I just cut out the bad parts and they were fine. Mostly attacked my Roma. Of the smaller tomatoes, only a few got infested. I think my garden is suffering from too much monoculture when it comes to tomatoes. I always end up with way too many plants. So next year I'm only going to buy plants instead of seeds, so I will be garrnteed to have 6 or less. Once I've sown seeds, I just can't bring myself to let the un-needed ones die!
Might plant more courgettes instead, and cucumber. I made 2 batches of bread and butter pickle from my gherkin plants before they started going brown before they got to a decent size. Maybe lack of water or something? Seriously considering forking out $140 or something for one of those big plastic tanks off trademe for storing rainwater next year.
"All paid employment degrades the mind."

the croc

Postby the croc » Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:48 pm

Just finished planting out a herb spiral. Got the idea from a permaculture video. I ran out of bricks and rubble so went all hippie art fag on it and finished it off with a bunch of paua shells we had lying around. I think it looks pretty choice. Got mint, rosemary, lavender, thyme, curry, marjoram, bunching onions, chives, parsley, coriander and I bunch of other shit I can't remember. More on herb spirals here: Herb Spirals 1 and here Herb Spirals 2 I just built mine making it up as I went, pretty simple. Realised now mine is more oh a herb hill but all good.

the croc

Postby the croc » Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:53 pm

A couple of more hard out ones here. Puts mine to shame really haha.

clancy

Postby clancy » Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:25 pm

It's been a weird couple of months, no real growth, but no real dying off either. I guess it's a lack of rain but ok heat.

I went out and brought 70 lavender plants a couple weeks ago - will post the end results. Should help with the bee issue I had this year.

This springs / summers successes.
I got a huge amount of cucumber this year
Soy beans for the first time.
Yum potatoes (not enough though)
Jalepenos
The undying Hungarian wax chilli plant
The basil trees
Never ending courgettes
Never ending capsicum

This springs / summers failures.
Tomatoes / except the acid frees
Pumpkins - 5 vines but only 2 who managed to survive and didn't get eaten when they were little.
Carrots.
Being stingy and not wanting to pay for water / less growth.
Where's all the bees?
Doing my own seeds from koanga and getting a crap germination rate.

the croc

Postby the croc » Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:58 pm

You might be interested in this Clancy, I've got it sitting on my bookshelf waiting to be read.

PertHJ
Inventor of 'LOAL'

Postby PertHJ » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:51 pm

J wrote:ive noticed a couple of weird comments here about water. can yous in auckland not just chuck on a sprinkler or somethin?

I don't know what the restrictions are, but I assume there are some..or at least should be.

My parents live on the Kapiti Coast and during summer there are always restrictions - something like every second day you are allowed to water (odds and even days for odd and even letter box) and you are only supposed to use a hand held hose (so that you don't just stick a sprinkler on and walk away)...I'd assume the same restrictions were in the city?

xSUSPECTx
argumentative cunt

Postby xSUSPECTx » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:04 pm

lol... in what way is it not a sprinkler?
Carly Ngarotata-Simon wrote:U misd two commas u illiterate fuk. It should read...mainstream, whilst at the same time, ... Who da dumb cunt now. Im bilingual. I can txt speak n also write in 'proper' english havin bn a legal secretary 4 13 years. So im actualy fukn streams ahead in inteligence ova u. Plus i hav a life! I dnt waste my time typing evry leta out cos i have a life! Dum ass. Peace, im out. Hahahahaha

Spots2012 wrote:do animal rights activists vehemently oppose Maori eating pigs etc, or are they willing to let that one slide?

haiku terror shades

Postby haiku terror shades » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:12 pm

J wrote:ive noticed a couple of weird comments here about water. can yous in auckland not just chuck on a sprinkler or somethin?

In the Greater Auckland area we have to pay for water separate to rates, this means often it's payed by the tenant not the landowner. Also people (warning: legal grey area here) collect roof runoff for the garden and there has been below average rainfall since September-October.

It's worse up in Northland the council has/is on the verge of completely running out of water - they have been given special permission to drain their emergency supply below the level they were given resource consent for. People on tank water have had to get stuff trucked in; the trucked water is getting more expensive because it has to come from further and further away. Farmers are feeding palm kernel because there is no grass etc.

xSUSPECTx
argumentative cunt

Postby xSUSPECTx » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:17 pm

the day that people in NZ are taxed for rainwater is the day i kill a cop.
Carly Ngarotata-Simon wrote:U misd two commas u illiterate fuk. It should read...mainstream, whilst at the same time, ... Who da dumb cunt now. Im bilingual. I can txt speak n also write in 'proper' english havin bn a legal secretary 4 13 years. So im actualy fukn streams ahead in inteligence ova u. Plus i hav a life! I dnt waste my time typing evry leta out cos i have a life! Dum ass. Peace, im out. Hahahahaha

Spots2012 wrote:do animal rights activists vehemently oppose Maori eating pigs etc, or are they willing to let that one slide?

buckton

Postby buckton » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:17 pm

I did one this year, damn possums kept getting at it though, never got around to fully enclosing it. I found they don't like herbs but love lettuce, so yeah herb garden next year.
ImageImageImage

clancy

Postby clancy » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:24 am

Suspect wrote:the day that people in NZ are taxed for rainwater is the day i kill a cop.

Yeah, it's bad news. I've heard of a couple stories of people setting up their own rain water tanks and inspectors coming around and questioning about it. The issue from their perspective is if the rain water is used in / for the house it then is processed as waste water. Which you would then have to pay out your nose for. Which is fair enough but at the same time bull shit. You should be encouraged to use rainwater, people who don't (most people) should pay the marginal difference in waste water costs.

This year I had a 200lt drum but it was no where near big enough. I'm thinking for next year I either dig out a part of the swamp down the back and buy a cheap pump or buy a 1000lt food grade cage off trademe.

I'll worry about that in november though.

xSUSPECTx
argumentative cunt

Postby xSUSPECTx » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:35 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2000_Cochabamba_protests

they wont try it here for years, its way too soon we would not stand for it yet, give it a generation or two and our spirit will be sufficiently broken.

PertHJ
Inventor of 'LOAL'

Postby PertHJ » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:07 pm

Quite a few years ago (at least 7) my dad bought a tank for collect water off the roof, the company he bought it from is based in Auckland and the guy said not to let the council know as he would need to pay for the water. There is no such charge where my parents live but from what the guy said it would seem there is some charge in AK? Is it just for the waste water (ie after you have used it) or do you actually get charged for collecting water (possible because it's not running into the water ways that need it?)

PertHJ
Inventor of 'LOAL'

Postby PertHJ » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:14 pm

J wrote:my dad gets around the kapiti restrictions by using a hand held hose, but propped up in the handle of a watering can. technically not a sprinkler.

well no, by hand held hose it means a hand holding a hose...he's not really 'getting around' the restriction, he's just plain not following them.

tisk tisk

xSUSPECTx
argumentative cunt

Postby xSUSPECTx » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:56 pm

PertHJ wrote:Is it just for the waste water (ie after you have used it) or do you actually get charged for collecting water (possible because it's not running into the water ways that need it?)

yeh, that says it all pert, if they are charging you you for diverting water into their system they cant really charge you for diverting it away, imho they have no right to charge you for rainwater at all since removal of stormwater is essentially a service to THEM.
its absolutely insane that people are even considering this latest outrage as reasonable, i get quite speechless in the face of it.

water rates are for the water that is piped TO you, if they want to charge for wastewater pipes then i suggest a greywater soakhole to counter their bullshit demands, cost you about $80 to get a bobcat in to do it, bit more for pipework, all up less than $200 easy.

the croc

Postby the croc » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:35 pm

PertHJ wrote:
J wrote:my dad gets around the kapiti restrictions by using a hand held hose, but propped up in the handle of a watering can. technically not a sprinkler.

well no, by hand held hose it means a hand holding a hose...he's not really 'getting around' the restriction, he's just plain not following them.

tisk tisk

I'm calling the water cops

haiku terror shades

Postby haiku terror shades » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:27 pm

Suspect wrote:
PertHJ wrote:Is it just for the waste water (ie after you have used it) or do you actually get charged for collecting water (possible because it's not running into the water ways that need it?)

yeh, that says it all pert, if they are charging you you for diverting water into their system they cant really charge you for diverting it away.

No Pert is right - they charge for waste water AND they don't want people collecting roof water without permission and if you do they'll charge you waste water charges on it anyway.

AND rate payers actually get a dividend from metrowater (i think? was either that or Mercury Energy?), which makes even less sense.

xSUSPECTx
argumentative cunt

Postby xSUSPECTx » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:46 am

im sorry you apparently misunderstood what i said, i wasnt contradicting pert, i was saying that THEY CAN GET FUCKED.

PertHJ
Inventor of 'LOAL'

Postby PertHJ » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:02 pm

From what I could gather on the metrowater website it says waste water is charged at 75% of what is pumped in as it is recognised about 25% is used in the garden/out side the house and so wont go down their drains....so presumably they only care about water that is using council pipes (both in and out).

So I could sort of understand charging if the rain water you collect was going to then go down their drains, but if it's just a tank for collecting rain water to water your garden then their shouldn't be any charge as they clearly don't care about waste water that doesn't go down their drains.

BanalityDUFF

Postby BanalityDUFF » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:52 pm

fucking caterpillars.

decided to put them in a container today to see how many of the fuckers i found (usually i just throw them into the lawn and let the birds have 'em.

This was off my main patch of cauliflowers. The plants are doing really well considering how many of these buggars i pulled off. All the big ones were from two plants that are inside a small hot house that i never check.

dustbinflowers

Postby dustbinflowers » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:12 am

you could make some sweet fritters out of those
Uncinia vector

clancy

Postby clancy » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:03 am

Damm, that's a whole lot of caterpillars. I used to not like killing them but then I realised you can't share your brasica's. It's not like I can offer them one and ask the to leave the rest please. So I just started squishing them aye.

My issue right now is white fly - I have 70 broccoli plants in the ground and a colony of white flies hanging about. I made my own organic concoction:

25 cloves of garlic,
10 jalepenos,
squirt of down to earth
couple tablespoons of vege oil.
a litre (or so) of water
blended.

But the sprayer couldn't handle it even after two strainings so I had to wipe it on the leaves. The leaves got burnt cause my jalepenos kick ass. And while it decimated a huge amount of white fly, the wiping takes ages and all you have to do is miss a spot and they collect there.

So I went out again yesterday and tried a more simpler concoction - warm water, down to earth, canola oil. Will check for results today.

BanalityDUFF

Postby BanalityDUFF » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:35 am

just had a quick google because i was unfamiliar with white fly and i'm glad i don't have to deal with that too. ^_^

i don't squish caterpillars because they make my fingers / gardening gloves all gross and then it makes it harder to pick up the next caterpillar cause my fingers are all gross. so i pick and flick.

if i manage to catch a butterfly while i'm in the garden i just rip it's head off - seems to do the trick.

i hate getting bug guts all up in my business.

i made a garlic / chilli spray late last year to get rid of some aphid things and forgot about it. then my wife wanted the container i had put some in and it had permeated all through the plastic (she ended up just buying a new spray bottle).

i poured out the main big bottle (on a bunch of ants trying to make house in my lemon tree) and it had grown thick layers of gross moldy shit all over it.

shit was so rank.

dustbinflowers

Postby dustbinflowers » Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:49 pm

last harvest for summer- the chillis were my best harvest- that is only half of them. The scollopini zuchinni are a bit small, but were the last ones. The herb is Lovage- really good in stock, for soups and stews.

I dg up the last of my potato plants today-got a bucket full of urenika potatoes, the pink tuber is Jerusalem Artichoke.

I also pulled all my tomatoes and runner beans. Summer is over :(

Next: Kale, silverbeet, broccoli, leeks. Ideas on anything else?
Uncinia vector

yvon

Postby yvon » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:21 am

Got a sweet 1000 litre tank for rain water off the Trademe.
Just in time for the drought, so I guess it won't get filled up anytime soon.
:?
I've only got spinach, lettuce and spring onions in the garden anyway. And the spring onions are just the bums of ones I bought from the fruit shop. Recycling! I wonder how long they'll last?
"All paid employment degrades the mind."

Andrew_TA

Postby Andrew_TA » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:57 pm

Harvested the last of my sweet corn too (about to eat it), chucked in some brussel sprouts and cauliflower.

Return to “Vegetarian and Vegan”