Advice on Vege garden

Share your recipes and great shopping spots with the rest of us.
Andrew_TA

Re: Advice on Vege garden

Postby Andrew_TA » Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:20 am

I want pictures guys!

yvon

Postby yvon » Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:55 pm

I harvested my first handful of peas a few days ago. microwave with a dob of butter. YUM.

These are my taters. Swift, Cliff Kidney, and Ilam Hardy. They are all 2 tyres high now, but I think I damaged the Swift a bit putting the 2nd tyre on, they aren't looking so good.

I planted a caravan, but it doesn't seem to be doing very well. I probably need to apply some more sledgehammer. After all, it occupies the sunniest spot on the section.
"All paid employment degrades the mind."

dustbinflowers

Postby dustbinflowers » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:59 am

nice caravan- I've never been able to get them to fruit either...

wow, everything looks so lush in your photos- Auckland right? Ah the subtropics. I haven't even planted anything like tomatoes or potatoes yet- and my scarlet runner beans have plastic over them still. At this very moment in Christchurch it is sleeting :(
Uncinia vector

Any Day Now

Postby Any Day Now » Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:30 am

SupaScoopa wrote:

Inquired about getting hold of some edamame seeds but apparently you cant buy them from any sources in NZ yet...

Thats wierd, I have a bit of a stash of soy bean seeds that someone gave me, grew pretty well last year. Think she got them at a market maybe? If not just dry out some (organic if ya can, more chance of sprouting) soybeans and plant.

BanalityDUFF

Postby BanalityDUFF » Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:32 am

i think i put out my pumpkin and tomatoes a bit early, they're all looking a bit sad. we did just have a shitter of a weekend weather wise, though.

either way, fuck. they're still ok looking just a bit weary around the leaf edges. fringers cross they don't all die. i have about 8 tomatoe plants in my mini hot house still but it would be stink if all the ones out (and the pumpkins) die.

dustbinflowers

Postby dustbinflowers » Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:54 pm

I just got told by an old gardener that in Chch you plant potatoes for xmas on labour weekend, and plant tomatoes outside Anniversary Weekend (mid Nov). Think I'm going to go with that, wait till then to plant out my pumpkin/zucchini/ basil too. Meanwhile my windowsills are crowded...
Uncinia vector

BanalityDUFF

Postby BanalityDUFF » Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:41 pm

yeah i just got a tad excited now i dont know what to do. :(

i have about 10 tomato plants in my mini-hot house still though so if worse comes to worse they can just move in where the other ones died, and if my pumpkin dont make it well fuck em i'll replace them with my courgettes :lol:

BanalityDUFF

Postby BanalityDUFF » Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:58 pm

just put about 30 bunches of parsley on the side of the street, hopefully they get taken (probably not, though, fuckin' parsley).

anyway . . . pics . . .!

/taken 01 Oct or there abouts

(you can see my parsley problems!)

then a bunch of new shots taken today (parsley having got sorted to, split up my chives around the place, and also between now and then have yanked out heaps of silverbeet and replaced with tomato plants.

forgot to take some of my Chia plants (they're outside now, a few are still in my hot house).

elli

Postby elli » Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:39 pm

any advice on a vegan way of getting the (scary) mice and rats out and away from my compost heap?

dustbinflowers

Postby dustbinflowers » Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:17 pm

A cat, or just get over it. They are more scared of you than you are of them.
Uncinia vector

xSUSPECTx
argumentative cunt

Postby xSUSPECTx » Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:18 pm

BanalityDUFF wrote:forgot to take some of my Chia plants (they're outside now, a few are still in my hot house).

keen, mine look pathetic

BanalityDUFF

Postby BanalityDUFF » Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:46 pm

we had a really nice day here in palmy . . . and my chia in my hot house look like they've being punched in the face. haha. they should be ohk, they just were very saggy (i sprayed some water on em so hopefully they get a kick in the ass).

also just built a hot house (no pics, cant be fucked) out of bamboo and clear plastic . . . probably cost about 15 bucks in materials.

heres some pics of my chia;

crate ones;

in the ground ones;

the crate ones were doing awesome until today. am going to thin the out on wednesday (if they pick themselves back up)

yvon

Postby yvon » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:39 pm

elli wrote:any advice on a vegan way of getting the (scary) mice and rats out and away from my compost heap?

Make sure it's got a lid, and cover any holes with mesh ??? Get in there with a pitchfork and give it a turn?
We only had a rat problem in ours once. And that was when it had no lid. They had burrowed up from underneath, but once we turned it and put a lid on they didn't come back.

BanalityDUFF

Postby BanalityDUFF » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:59 pm

chia are starting to flower.

don't really have a plan on how to collect the seeds yet.

everything is growing hardout, a big crowded at the moment. 8O

xSUSPECTx
argumentative cunt

Postby xSUSPECTx » Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:42 pm

somethings eating my marigolds, WTF they are there to REPEL insects, basil is also being eaten, but some are making it thru... some precious few

BanalityDUFF

Postby BanalityDUFF » Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:15 pm

i found a stick insect in my strawberrys yesterday when cutting away dead leaves. do they eat the leaves? just on that particular strawberry the leaves are being chomped on by something (thought it might be the stick insect, but i left him on it cause i think they look cool, heh).

just did a google on the marigolds and apparently slugs and snails eat them, and so do earwigs (?).

i have heaps of earwigs in my garden, lil fuckers. i just leave them though cause i'm not sure what they're up to and they creep me out (i don't have marigolds so they're not eating them . . .)

the croc

Postby the croc » Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:34 pm

BanalityDUFF wrote:i found a stick insect in my strawberrys yesterday when cutting away dead leaves. do they eat the leaves? just on that particular strawberry the leaves are being chomped on by something (thought it might be the stick insect, but i left him on it cause i think they look cool, heh).

just did a google on the marigolds and apparently slugs and snails eat them, and so do earwigs (?).

i have heaps of earwigs in my garden, lil fuckers. i just leave them though cause i'm not sure what they're up to and they creep me out (i don't have marigolds so they're not eating them . . .)

Stick insects are herbivorous so it could be them, but yeah they're cool, so I'd leave them too.
There's more to life than thrash
So let's get really smashed
and do the heavy head dance

www.facebook.com/paekakpunkshow

dustbinflowers

Postby dustbinflowers » Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:12 pm

My garden is cranking- lots of peas and salady stuff. I'm hoping to harvest broad beans to dry- but I keep eating them small cos they are so good little. My runner beans have hit the 2 metre mark...
Uncinia vector

BanalityDUFF

Postby BanalityDUFF » Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:36 pm

is it too late to drop down some more peas / beans? i already had a full run of peas and wouldn't mind trying my hand at them again (or something similar) if there is enough time left.

dustbinflowers

Postby dustbinflowers » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:47 pm

Think you can just keep sowing peas eh. Not sure about beans- there are some dwarf, short season varieties that might go good.
Uncinia vector

ghetto ninja

Postby ghetto ninja » Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:26 pm

Ive got some epicly large heads of broccoli hooning at the moment, cant wait to hit that shit.
Martyrdamn wrote:Said 'hey baby gurl' to about seven girls tonight,
turns out girls don't like guys talking about getting up in their guts,
fagets, right.

yvon

Postby yvon » Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:32 pm

Tonight I dig up my early Ilam Hardy Potatoes. I'm hopeing they will have done better than Swift and Cliff Kidneys, which were fuckin yum but not high yield. I'll be planting zuchini in their place.
I forgot to put some milkpowder in the soil when I planted my tomatoes this year, so I'm hoping they don't get blossom end rot like they did last time I forgot. :( (that's when their bum goes rotten and black. lack of calcium or something.)

dustbinflowers

Postby dustbinflowers » Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:14 pm

from calcium deficiency- they get it from erratic watering too, cause calcium is uptaken with water. So you could still water it in if you wanted.
Uncinia vector

the croc

Postby the croc » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:05 pm

Anyone know where to buy some cheap chickens around Wellington? Battery farm rescues are fine.

clancy

Postby clancy » Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:44 pm

My gardens looking a bit bare because I harvested a bunch of spuds for christmas but I'm filling in the gaps now though.

I took these photos at midday so it's all a bit bright.

Maori spuds saved for seed - kowiniwini and urenika

I was really impresseed with the taste and growth of kowiniwini - they probably could have had more time in the ground though. Not really a fan of urenika - kinda yamish.

Other Maori spuds harvested - Raetihi, Tengae and Wherowhero

Pretty low yield, but again I probably pulled them up too early, and they were in soil that hasn't had a lot of goodies.

Soyabeans / edamame

Found a place to buy soybeans that isn't ridiculously overpriced - asian seed in Napier. Maybe sowed too late (december 23) but at the rate the are going I should see some beans in feb.

Tomatos x 4

Probably could have done with more pinching off, but they are looking good.

Gladioli

Rock melon (I think)

Corn is cranking

Pumpkin

I planted 4 seedlings and only one took off but now is racing off into the valley down the back.

Calla Lilies

I brought a bunch of Calla lilly tubers off trade me and now the are really starting to hoon.

New courgette seedlings in as of yesterday.

Last edited by clancy on Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dustbinflowers

Postby dustbinflowers » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:53 pm

Love Kowiniwini potatoes eh- waxy goodness.
Where did you get yours from? I couldn't get hold of any this season, but will be keen next season.
Uncinia vector

the croc

Postby the croc » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:33 pm

Finally got in the garden today after being in my 'new' flat for three months, just been way to busy and the weather has been less than agreeable in Wellington lately.

Cleared out the vege garden ready for planting, left in parsley and broccoli that had gone to seed, will get around to collecting the seed sometime. Also left in the mint that was hiding under everything else that got pulled out. I've got a bunch of heirloom seeds from Carol in Whangamata. Currently got Progress Peas, Purple Beans, Butternut Pumpkin, Tabasco Chillies and Chia planted in seed trays. It might be a bit ambitious for Pumpkins with the summer we're having but will still give it a shot. I plan to keep the Chillies inside as houseplants as I don't think they will survive outside.

Moved the compost bin into a sunnier spot too. It was originally positioned in a shady corner that got no sun and it just stayed water logged the whole time. It was dead cold too and stunk which is not a good sign. So hopefully once it dries out a bit and it heats up it will really start going.

dustbinflowers

Postby dustbinflowers » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:38 pm

it hasn't been such a good summer down here either- tomatoes and chillies are only just starting to set fruit, just had my first couple of courgettes (the scollopini style ones) and my scarlet runners are spindly and tragic and I think not going to do much.
But I'm still eating peas, brocolli, cauliflower, raspberrys, silver beet, rocket, broad beans,boysenberries and strawberries. Coriander for africa, sage and rosemary going crazy, basil sulking permanently.

Want a glass house, a big one would be awesome.
Uncinia vector

Andrew_TA

Postby Andrew_TA » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:31 pm

So, getting ready to move - moving into a place where I can have a real garden, yay!

Here is how it's looking atm:

First capsicum and jalapeño

oh yeah- these bugs are all over my raspberry plant, they don't seem to be doing any damage though...?
(sorry for the horrible pic)
Last edited by Andrew_TA on Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

the croc

Postby the croc » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:55 pm

It's a leaf hopper. Soapy water or garlic spray should get rid of them for a week or two. From http://www.yates.co.nz/problem-solver/p ... af-hopper/

Leaf hoppers are small, quick-flying insects. They are usually green, yellow or brown and their sap-sucking feeding causes mottling of leaves. They attack many plants and can also transmit virus diseases. Their sticky waste (called honeydew) sometimes grows black sooty mould fungus.

Appearance of leaf hoppers can vary. Young leafhoppers (nymphs) tend to have tufty ‘tails’. Some species of adults fold their wings close into their bodies but others have outspread wings that make them look like small butterflies. All hop away quickly when disturbed.
Last edited by the croc on Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Vegetarian and Vegan”