Advice on Vege garden

Share your recipes and great shopping spots with the rest of us.
ghetto ninja

Advice on Vege garden

Postby ghetto ninja » Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:12 pm

Never had much of a green thumb so any advice would be helpfull. Got quite a lot of room and want peas and beans and tomatoes and stuff. Holla
Martyrdamn wrote:Said 'hey baby gurl' to about seven girls tonight,
turns out girls don't like guys talking about getting up in their guts,
fagets, right.

NNY

Postby NNY » Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:26 pm

I'm about to embark on the create a garden venture too. Share the knowledge guise.

first things to think about are where to put it. Keep your veges away from fruit trees and potent smelling floral. If you have lots of fruit trees on your property then aim you put your vege garden at the highest point in your garden so as to avoid acidic tasting veges (really important if your going to be growing tomatoes).

Also think about neighborhood animals. cats and dogs are big garden destroyers. I solve this with some posts and weed matt from bunnings to make a fence the weed matt is almost good for the whole heat and shelter from the elements thing.

also think about where the sun is during the day figure out what you what to grow and figure out how much sun per day they need so you can decide where to build your garden. (obv movable gardens boxes are the best but an expensive option.)
http://the-unsociable.blogspot.com/

Future Shock wrote:do not talk about afterbirth like that. :cry: they r missed

the croc

Postby the croc » Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:33 pm

I tried this year. I failed. Miserably. :cry:

Things I would do next time:

1. Mark in the batch where various things are planted so you have some idea of what are weeds and what are your veges when they sprout.

2. Start sprouting some veges (I'm not sure what) in seeding trays then transplant them into your main plot.

3. Get someone who knows what they're doing come over and do it for you.
There's more to life than thrash
So let's get really smashed
and do the heavy head dance

www.facebook.com/paekakpunkshow

NNY

Postby NNY » Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:57 pm

oh yeah if you want to sprout the seeds before to plant them (which is a good idea if you can't tell the difference between sprouts and weeds. get a paper towel and dampen it with water put seeds in the middle and fold in half. Then leave it on a sunny window sill till the seeds start to sprout, then plant.

dustbinflowers

Postby dustbinflowers » Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:09 pm

I tried this year. I failed. Miserably.

Things I would do next time:

1. Mark in the batch where various things are planted so you have some idea of what are weeds and what are your veges when they sprout.

2. Start sprouting some veges (I'm not sure what) in seeding trays then transplant them into your main plot.

3. Get someone who knows what they're doing come over and do it for you.

And if you live in the sub-antarctic, invest in a glasshouse!!
I failed too, and I knew exactly what I was doing! The soil never really warmed up last summer in Dunedin- I grew good leafy greens, but all my root veges sucked.
This year: seeds started earlier, more compost, and I'm not even going to bother with tomatoes.
Uncinia vector

MuscleMan
smut peddler

Postby MuscleMan » Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:28 pm

HEAPS of 'tomatoes'

dustbinflowers

Postby dustbinflowers » Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:31 pm

tomatoes in the hot water cupboard
Uncinia vector

haiku terror shades

Postby haiku terror shades » Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:10 am

NNY wrote:first things to think about are where to put it. Keep your veges away from fruit trees and potent smelling floral.

I don't know about this advice - you want Tomato plants to attract as much attention as possible from bees and bumblebees to ensure heavy cropping and planting them near a vibrant flowerbed can help. I have never had a problem with 'acid tasting' vege?

NNY wrote:get a paper towel and dampen it with water put seeds in the middle and fold in half. Then leave it on a sunny window sill till the seeds start to sprout, then plant.

It's better to start your seeds in trays and get them a bit bigger and hardened out before transplanting them (especially as we are still having cold nights) - planting small sprouts is more likely to result in shock terminal root damage - though the technique you have outlined may be worthwhile for starting larger seed like beans and peas in early summer once the ground has warmed.

haiku terror shades

Re: Advice on Vege garden

Postby haiku terror shades » Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:29 am

ghetto ninja wrote:Never had much of a green thumb so any advice would be helpfull. Got quite a lot of room and want peas and beans and tomatoes and stuff. Holla

It's a little to soon to be getting these in the ground - but it is for sure time to prep the garden - particuarly for beans.

- once you have cleared and turned over the garden area with a spade

- work out where you want what , as previously mentioned tomato plants need sun and polinators, beans need a well fertilised bed so maybe the proximity to the current compost heap is an issue (as in dig it over and plant 'em innit) - also take into account proximity to WATER, drainage and access.

- work out what framework you need for growing your beans/peas over - this has to go in the ground before the seeds so as not to disturb the roots.
take into account access for watering and harvesting.

- YOU ARE NOW AT WAR, AT WAR WITH SNAILS ... get 'em while they're still slowed up by the cold - build and maintain a perimeter (frankly you may have to resort to slug slam, but start the campaign early and hit them hard now there will be less need for it later)

BanalityDUFF

Postby BanalityDUFF » Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:38 am

im trying this year. i just potted courgets . . . spring onion, and some kind of mint (it was a triple pack but i only planted one pack).

i'll pot the rest soon, and buy some more stuff.

any recommendations as in regards to the easiest things to grow?

NNY

Postby NNY » Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:18 am

Real Ultimate Shades wrote:
NNY wrote:first things to think about are where to put it. Keep your veges away from fruit trees and potent smelling floral.

I don't know about this advice - you want Tomato plants to attract as much attention as possible from bees and bumblebees to ensure heavy cropping and planting them near a vibrant flowerbed can help. I have never had a problem with 'acid tasting' vege?

I had this problem at the last place where we had fixed planter boxes under a grapefruit and a lemon tree. Nothing came out tasting quite right. Not so much from the trees being there but when the fruit fell and started decompose it made everything go wrong. Ithink you what something like <6.5ph for most of everything (does that sound right)

and the technique for quickly sprouting seeds is one a use to start the seeds for growing weed it's worked 100% every time for me on most things i have tried it with. Oh yeah and completely for you need to put the tissue paper into a plastic bag to stop it from drying out.

I do it because I'm impatient and i like to be able to see progress happen quickly. All this said i'm far from a garnering expert

ghetto ninja

Postby ghetto ninja » Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:15 pm

Chur punkas massive.
Lol at simon. MO WEED has given me orange and green thumb.
Martyrdamn wrote:Said 'hey baby gurl' to about seven girls tonight,
turns out girls don't like guys talking about getting up in their guts,
fagets, right.

Yellow Romans

Postby Yellow Romans » Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:59 pm

I failed too, and I knew exactly what I was doing! The soil never really warmed up last summer in Dunedin- I grew good leafy greens, but all my root veges sucked.

A good way to warm the soil is to fill a couple of old tyres with soil and plant potatoes in them. The black rubber warms them up good providing they get significant sunlight.

dustbinflowers

Postby dustbinflowers » Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:57 pm

yeah, that sounds like it would work. We're trying building up the bed, with old red bricks around the edges. And using mulch, and probably a roll-up, roll-down plastic cover. And a sunny summer would be a bonus this year too!
Uncinia vector

CowzOr

Postby CowzOr » Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:43 pm

I planted capsicums but they never grew.. I think the onions are going alright, but it's hard to tell because they are subterrainian. The tomato plant is a corpse however (sorry yvon!)
general wrote:one alternative to democracy is listening to a lunatic like blair ranting out about "real freedom" like an incoherent brain-damaged drunk.

cool guy69 wrote:mods please sticky this thread

haiku terror shades

Postby haiku terror shades » Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:51 pm

NNY wrote:I had this problem at the last place where we had fixed planter boxes under a grapefruit and a lemon tree. Nothing came out tasting quite right. Not so much from the trees being there but when the fruit fell and started decompose it made everything go wrong. Ithink you what something like <6.5ph for most of everything (does that sound right)

yikes!

use those lemons - morrocan style preserved lemons!
use those grapefruit - marmalade!

Ph!1

Postby Ph!1 » Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:03 pm

lemons preserved in gin are fucking FUCKING great.

im gowing mushrooms in my shoes.

dabset dabset dabset

Re: Advice on Vege garden

Postby dabset dabset dabset » Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:33 pm

ghetto ninja wrote:Never had much of a green thumb so any advice would be helpfull. Got quite a lot of room and want peas and beans and tomatoes and stuff. Holla

n33d5 m0ar w33d5.

NNY

Postby NNY » Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:40 pm

Real Ultimate Shades wrote:
yikes!

use those lemons - morrocan style preserved lemons!
use those grapefruit - marmalade!

i usually just make lemon juice out of it 1 cup lemon juice + cup of sugar + 1 1/2 litre water = damn good juice.

never tried maramalade whats a good recipe. also we have a massive amount of what we call uglyfruit its kind of a cross between lemons and madrins but i can't figure out what to make with them...

i could use some good recipes for stuff with lemon in in too...

Apple

Postby Apple » Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:51 pm

void wrote:I'm growing mushrooms in my shoes.

Ewwww.
(Maybe it's time to change those socks?)

Andrew_TA

Postby Andrew_TA » Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:37 am

NNY wrote:also we have a massive amount of what we call uglyfruit its kind of a cross between lemons and madrins but i can't figure out what to make with them...

Yummmm!! Used to have uglyfruits at my old house, then a strong storm blew the tree over :(

Any Day Now

Postby Any Day Now » Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:40 pm

I only have a deck, so i'm growing lots of stuff in pots. my lettaces have gone crazy, my tomatos have just started picking up (cause of the cold weather). i reccomend a nice sunny spot with no wind, thats made mine go nuts. also have celery, a small herb garden and some capsicums (which are taking a while to go, but a good dose of super thrive has helped them pick up) growing some flowers as well, got some miniture dahlias, begonias, frezinias and some wildflowers from seed which have popped up so fast cause of the spot i've got them in.

gardens are so much fun! i keep going to the garden centre, ive got a friend who works there and gives me a dece discount. but its bad cause i can hardly open my door for all the pots!

scott penk

Postby scott penk » Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:41 pm

any recommendations as in regards to the easiest things to grow?

its not the most exciting vegetable.. but silverbeet practically grows itself. get a punnet of the seedlings (for about $1), plant in good soil and 6 weeks later you have all the silverbeet you can use.. and it just keeps growing too

PertHJ
Inventor of 'LOAL'

Postby PertHJ » Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:55 pm

rubes loves silverbeet
http://hungjurynz.bandcamp.com/
http://www.discogs.com/user/pertHJ

Drinking beers, hell yeah!! Smoking dope, KICK TO THROAT!!

BanalityDUFF

Postby BanalityDUFF » Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:11 pm

PertHJ wrote:rubes loves silverbeet

cause its the business. 8)

Ph!1

Postby Ph!1 » Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:47 am

Apple wrote:
void wrote:I'm growing mushrooms in my shoes.

Ewwww.
(Maybe it's time to change those socks?)

yeh... maybe, can you wash shoes?

haiku terror shades

Postby haiku terror shades » Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:05 pm

lemons preserved in Gin i'll have to try!

this is the recipe I use - It's best for Lemons with nice clear skins (as thats the part you'll be using) if they look a bit crusty they're usually better for juicing for cordial.

I don't bother with the cinnamon stick If i don't have one around.

Salted Preserved Lemons
Recipe courtesy Jamie Oliver

Fennel seeds
Coriander seeds
Cinnamon stick
Peppercorns
Bay Leaf
Sea salt
Large fat Lemons (preferably Sicilian ones with the leaves still attached)

In a bowl mix the spices into the sea salt. Cut a cross into the lemons -- almost to the base, but so that the quarters stay together. Push the seasoned salt into the lemon segments and pack the lemons as tightly as possible into an airtight jar. The less space there is between the lemons the more attractive it will look and you won't need to use so much salt. The lemons will be ready after one month of preserving, and will last for about 2 years.

Tips: The peel is edible This also works very well with limes You could preserve oranges like this too -- but there are not so many recipes which use them You must use sea salt not table salt -- table salt is too chemical and harsh

Uses: For seasoning rice and couscous -- it works like salt and makes the rice and couscous lemon scented Put chicken/fish into a foil bag and bake with the lemon salt Use to season stews and soups

BanalityDUFF

Postby BanalityDUFF » Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:09 pm

i got my dig on today, about 80% of our vege garden now has compost churned through it. will make rows tommorow i think.

haiku terror shades

Postby haiku terror shades » Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:11 pm

NNY wrote:never tried maramalade whats a good recipe. also we have a massive amount of what we call uglyfruit its kind of a cross between lemons and madrins but i can't figure out what to make with them...

I don't know how well this will work with uglyfruit, might need to use a different method when preparing the fruit - possibly removing all the seeds and peel and boiling it with the fruit but in a muslin bag so i can be removed?

Simple Marmalade Recipe

You will need -

Fresh citrus fruit
Sugar - equivalent weight to the uncooked fruit
Some water
Glass jars with well fitting metal lids

Thoroughly clean and rinse the jars and lids
Place jars in a cold oven and heat to 100C
Place lid in water filled pot to heat later

Chop fruit, first cutting in half width wise and removing pits
Place fruit in pot and cover with water
Simmer until well cooked and peel softened

Put pot with jar lids in it to boil hard
Turn off oven

Dissolve sugar in cooked fruit and boil hard whilst stirring to avoid burning,
Marmalade is ready when a little tested on a cold plate occasionally sets so it wrinkles when pushed

Take marmalade off heat
Drain lids

Pour into still warm jars and place lids on immediately

Serve with toast or scones
Or store for event of nuclear holocaust

scott penk

Postby scott penk » Sat Sep 15, 2007 2:34 pm

BanalityDUFF wrote:i got my dig on today, about 80% of our vege garden now has compost churned through it. will make rows tommorow i think.

same! great minds think alike.. and so do punkas users

great weather for it here too!

Return to “Vegetarian and Vegan”