New Scientist

Share your recipes and great shopping spots with the rest of us.
jono.emergency

New Scientist

Postby jono.emergency » Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:52 pm

26 May issue has an interesting piece on animal emotions. Just anecdotal examples, really, then at the end it has a "For and Against" argument section. Interestingly the 'against' piece doesn't disagree with animal emotions, it just disputes the way they should be studied or understood. Worth a read.

Also has a good article on mineral resource depletion worldwide.

snuff
Information Highway Patrol

Postby snuff » Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:30 pm

Thanks s!
I guess you really need to ask yourself... What Would Graeme Do?

BanalityDUFF

Postby BanalityDUFF » Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:22 pm

i was reading that today actually. i was more interested in the mineral article though :wink:

georgasaur

Postby georgasaur » Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:07 pm

New Scientist is an interesting read at times

Future Shock

Postby Future Shock » Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:51 am

indeed.

jono.emergency

Postby jono.emergency » Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:08 am

s wrote:pdf is 9mb, click cover to download

oh sweet

guess i wasted $7 then!

chur

jono.emergency

Postby jono.emergency » Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:56 am

http://environment.guardian.co.uk/food/story/0,,2097257,00.html

Quite an interesting article as well, on the strong impact diet has on climate change. Good to see these issues making it into mainstream media.

Interesting excerpt:

"At the very least, people need to think about cutting down their meat and dairy consumption to help the environment," says Justin Kerswell, campaigns manager at the vegetarian campaign charity Viva. "The meat-based diet most people eat is completely unsustainable, but we are starting to see people make the shift. The amount of vegans in the UK has increased 10-fold in the past 10 years and is now around one million."

However, the Cardiff research showed that adopting a vegetarian diet would result in only a small reduction (5.9%) in your food and drink footprint, which confirms that dairy products have a high impact too. So what do you do if you don't want to give up meat?

"The least greenhouse gas-intensive meat is actually a battery chicken," says Tara Garnett from the Food Climate Research Network. "If you keep an animal in a very small space, don't let it expend any energy on exercising, feed it up really quickly and kill it within 40 days, it is going to be energy efficient. However, from an animal welfare point of view it is certainly not something I would endorse."

Bullion

Postby Bullion » Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:50 pm

for a new scientist article it wasn't very scientific. and that mineral article was a lot more stimulating.

Return to “Vegetarian and Vegan”