Vegetarianism and the Environment

Share your recipes and great shopping spots with the rest of us.
Lentil

Vegetarianism and the Environment

Postby Lentil » Thu May 24, 2007 9:55 pm

The real movers and shakers in the environmental policy are not plastic bags, shower nozzles, recycled cans, or bricks in the toilet cistern. They are food, housing, water and land. No human behaviour has a bigger environmental impact than diet.

This page will illustrate the impact of your choice of diet on environmental outcomes.

http://www.animalliberation.org.au/envleaflet.php

opinions?

the croc

Postby the croc » Thu May 24, 2007 11:51 pm

I agree with that. That's the reason I was attracted to vegetarianism in the first place.

Heres a pretty good article I found a while back. Covers most of the issues. I can't remember where I got it from unfortunately.

Why you can’t eat meat and call yourself an environmentalist

And a decent site on some current issues http://greenveg.org.uk/ Although it hasn't been updated in a while.
There's more to life than thrash
So let's get really smashed
and do the heavy head dance

www.facebook.com/paekakpunkshow

BarrenEarth

Postby BarrenEarth » Fri May 25, 2007 12:17 am

the croc wrote:I agree with that. That's the reason I was attracted to vegetarianism in the first place.

Heres a pretty good article I found a while back. Covers most of the issues. I can't remember where I got it from unfortunately.

Why you can’t eat meat and call yourself an environmentalist

And a decent site on some current issues http://greenveg.org.uk/ Although it hasn't been updated in a while.

vegetarianism or veganism cause along side cars and forestery milk production still is one of the most enviromentally destuctive things around. the land gets destroyed, the rivers get poisened and then theres the methane. all so some fuckin toff can grate parmesan on to there cabanara.
grr.

Future Shock

Postby Future Shock » Fri May 25, 2007 5:11 am

i reckon thats a lot of crock and is used as an excuse for gangism which is natural as well and should be avoided as it is not needed.

you eat meat, bad human, what if i killed it myself.

ummm, thats o.k.

its called industry.

puppykicker

Postby puppykicker » Fri May 25, 2007 7:39 am

a cow produces more greenhouse gas in a year than a V8 SUV doing 30000 k
step up to get yo' rep up

the croc

Postby the croc » Fri May 25, 2007 9:29 am

MC rattdogg Fratboy wrote:
vegetarianism or veganism cause along side cars and forestery milk production still is one of the most enviromentally destuctive things around. the land gets destroyed, the rivers get poisened and then theres the methane. all so some fuckin toff can grate parmesan on to there cabanara.
grr.

Well vegetarianism first before I got rid of dairy. I don't call myself either though because I still occasionally eat shellfish and even less so fish.

jono.emergency

Postby jono.emergency » Fri May 25, 2007 10:44 am

This article was really good. Haven't followed up the references but it was pretty clear and level-headed. Plus the fact that it was about Australia is a lot closer to home than most of the US-based research which is hard to apply here. Good stuff.

Got a bit confused with the 'by catch' section... lost me a bit.

Lentil

Postby Lentil » Fri May 25, 2007 2:15 pm

Source and sink category emission estimates and trends

New Zealand is unusual amongst developed nations in that 49.4 percent of total emissions in 2004 were produced by the agriculture sector (Figure 1.2). By comparison, emissions from agriculture typically make up 12 percent of total greenhouse gas emissions across Annex 1 Parties. The agricultural emissions are predominantly CH4 emissions from ruminant farm animals and N2O emissions from animal excreta and nitrogenous fertiliser use. The current level of emissions from the agriculture sector is 4,750.08 Gg (14.8 percent) above the 1990 level (Table 1.2).

The energy sector is the other large component of New Zealand's emissions profile comprising 42.4 percent of total emissions in 2004. Emissions from the energy sector are now 7,992.76 Gg (33.8 percent) above the 1990 level (Table 1.2). The growth in energy emissions since 1990 is primarily from road transport (an increase of 4,855.03 Gg or 62.7 percent) and electricity generation (an increase of 2,572.46 Gg or 73.6 percent). Emissions from thermal electricity generation vary from year to year depending on the water resources available for hydro generation. In 'dry' years there is a greater reliance on thermal electricity generation.

Emissions from the industrial processes and waste sectors are a much smaller component of New Zealand's emissions profile, comprising 5.6 percent and 2.5 percent respectively of all greenhouse gas emissions in 2004. Emissions from the waste sector are now 25.9 percent below the 1990 baseline with the majority of the reduction occurring from improvements in solid waste disposal. New Zealand's relatively small manufacturing base means that solvent use is lower than in many other countries.

source -Ministry of the Environment

Sicinius

Postby Sicinius » Fri May 25, 2007 5:01 pm

puppykicker wrote:a cow produces more greenhouse gas in a year than a V8 SUV doing 30000 k

Might be pertinent here to insert that "the greenhouse effect" is merely a theory.

Future Shock

Postby Future Shock » Fri May 25, 2007 5:22 pm

a 'theory' that is highly pertinant sinus meaning it has high merit due to evidence, stop talking lawyer speak, you may be rich but your still wrong.

Sicinius

Postby Sicinius » Fri May 25, 2007 6:02 pm

phaedrus wrote:
Sicinius wrote:
puppykicker wrote:a cow produces more greenhouse gas in a year than a V8 SUV doing 30000 k

Might be pertinent here to insert that "the greenhouse effect" is merely a theory.

yeah, like evolution...

Just like evolution bro...

:roll:

Future Shock

Postby Future Shock » Fri May 25, 2007 6:07 pm

good point. :arrow:

Lentil

Postby Lentil » Fri May 25, 2007 6:51 pm

Off the topic of farming but staying on the topic of animals

MASS EXTINCTIONS

Many people care deeply about the protection of the world’s environment, of endangered species or tropical rainforests. But climate change is the biggest threat they have ever faced. Vast areas of the world will turn to desert or burn down. The Worldwide Fund for Nature (WWF) estimates that just one hundred years of climate change will drive a third of the world's species to extinction. And that’s just the start.

the croc

Postby the croc » Fri May 25, 2007 7:57 pm

Sicinius wrote:
phaedrus wrote:
Sicinius wrote:

yeah, like evolution...

Just like evolution bro...

:roll:

And plate tectonic theory

Sicinius you obviously don't have a fucking clue. Give up

puppykicker

Postby puppykicker » Fri May 25, 2007 8:00 pm

step up to get yo' rep up

Sicinius

Postby Sicinius » Fri May 25, 2007 8:49 pm

...sigh

georgasaur

Postby georgasaur » Fri May 25, 2007 9:19 pm

Boooooo steak!
Yayy vegetables!
[/b]

Lentil

Postby Lentil » Sun May 27, 2007 7:23 pm

Report claims marine mammals are in danger from climate change
Tue, May 2007 6:55a.m.

The author of a new report says whales, dolphins and porpoises are in grave danger from climate change.

The report was published by the World Wildlife Fund and the Whale and Dolphin Conservation Society.

It says the climate is changing at such a fast pace, it is doubtful whether cetaceans will be able to adjust in time.

Wendy Elliott says the report dealt with creatures for which there are some gaps in our knowledge.

http://www.tv3.co.nz/News/WeatherEnviro ... t.aspx#top

And for Ideas on changing lifestyle in regard to climate change
http://risingtide.org.uk/resources/fact ... fiftyideas
Have a good look around the Rising Tide site while you are there. They have lots of good info that can be printed out and given to friends, family etc. Also ideas for direct action etc.

Ph!1

Postby Ph!1 » Sun May 27, 2007 7:50 pm

im only saying this cos im a negative whinging asshole.

but the production of vegan food comes at a huge environmental cost.

the problem is more about the sheer numbers of filthy two legged rodents than it is what kind of food they eat.

but of course vegetarian food doesnt cause even 1/4 the damage meat and dairy does...

just sayin is all.

Future Shock

Postby Future Shock » Sun May 27, 2007 8:25 pm

which is why ya grow ya own and good point actually.

you try ta stay outta the modes of production and industry except for your own means meaning plant rather than buy as much as you can if poss and always poss or get from indys.

notice how the 'bad' people say what you can do rather than 'can't, meaning those actually doing positive work rather than mining for greed.

i find books much more effective as oldies don't web it up so much and don't have time, getting caught up literally in a system, people often see leaflets as condacsending but not always, like i said it must be on all fronts but not telling people what to do, a human trait will tell you to fuck off even if they know your right.

action is essentially telling people what to do and people respect that more and make sure they are aware that this is only start and must be involved any which way by then informing them with leaflets or 'info' which it is casue the syetm don't tell ya shit, people alwsy say ya can go look up shit, yes and no and if so i'd wipe some of them and take the govt to the people court but that won't be necessary if the people decide that they don't want this system.
and no i'm not completely nieve.

Lentil

Postby Lentil » Sun May 27, 2007 8:36 pm

Yep growing your own and buying fruit and vegies that are NZ grown etc.
Lifestyle changes are important but not enough on their own.
Also an easy armchair activism is emailing things like the clean energy and Rising tide links to your friends - and suggesting they do the same. Well its a start.

Future Shock

Postby Future Shock » Sun May 27, 2007 8:44 pm

yes its all part.

Ph!1

Postby Ph!1 » Sun May 27, 2007 9:03 pm

i honestly dont see how it can help, i recognise that these things would be better for the earth if we did it, but i think our efforts would be better used in preparing for survival in the coming apocralyse (spelling pun intended)

i mean that no matter what we do now, its still gunna happen, im not like those that beleive it wont happen, i think those people are stupid, but i just cant see our efforst coming to much.

fuck, if i smoke ciggarettes im hardly gunna be concerned about smog in LA

Future Shock

Postby Future Shock » Sun May 27, 2007 10:06 pm

because you'll be dead before it happens and if you like nature or not suffocating literally as ya seem too, being vego then it all helps.

don't haveta be a hippy about it, they tell ya what to do far too often i find and they say 'i do not'.

Lentil

Postby Lentil » Wed May 30, 2007 5:43 pm

Climate Change and Animal Populations

In recent years, biologists have noticed changes in ecosystems that reflect changes in climate.

The extinction of the golden toad coincided with reductions in moisture levels in Costa Rica’s cloud forest. Over the past 30 years, the dry season in the area has become warmer and drier, a change that has affected many species. Researchers report that 20 out of 50 species of frogs and toads have disappeared from a 30-square-kilometer study area, and that toucans and other bird species have shifted their range, moving to higher altitudes.

Biologists have reported many biological responses to climate change, including:

- shifts in the ranges of 35 species of non-migratory butterflies.

- a decline in body weight of polar bears, resulting from early melting of sea ice.

- changes in the abundance of winter songbirds in four Great Plains states

- shifts in the species that inhabit California’s tidepools

- reduction of phytoplankton growth in the Ross Sea, a change that could disrupt the Antarctic food chain
http://www.exploratorium.edu/climate/bi ... data5.html

Lentil

Postby Lentil » Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:48 pm

Here's something else that is easy to do and will just take one minute - forward on to friends etc..

send this email to Jim Anderton, Minister of Agriculture and Forestry, asking the New Zealand Government to STOP the importation of illegally logged timber from ancient forests.
http://www.greenpeace.org/new-zealand/c ... ent-to-act

"The accelerating destruction of the rainforests that form a precious cooling band around the Earth’s equator, is now being recognised as one of the main causes of climate change." Rising Tide America. And of course a large loss of habitat to animals

Straight Outta Henderson

Postby Straight Outta Henderson » Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:02 pm

Kill all the cows?

FC
Orange Ska Dork

Postby FC » Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:03 pm

We're trying to, a thousand big macs at a time...

Aidan
PertHJ wrote:I disagree with Aidans divergence from ska music, but agree with his correct use of scientific terms

Ois II Men|Hatewanx|XfrankgrimesX

Lentil

Postby Lentil » Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:18 am

http://www.worldviewofglobalwarming.org/
Since 2002 this website has born witness to ongoing changes on Planet Earth caused by global warming. The photo essays and reports shown above and within, have just been given background in comprehensive and authoritative detail by the world's climate scientists.
A huge change is underway across the globe and in its atmosphere, they report, that is affecting not only nature, but the lives and homes of millions of people. Changes can be measured from the highest mountains to deep in the oceans and are leading to extinction for parts of earth's rich biodiversity.

http://www.windows.ucar.edu/tour/link=/ ... fects.html
About 100 years ago, people worldwide began burning more coal and oil for homes, factories, and transportation. Burning these fossil fuels releases carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases into the atmosphere. These added greenhouses gasses have caused Earth to warm more quickly than it has in the past.
How much warming has happened? Scientists from around the world tell us that during the past 100 years, the average global air temperature has risen more than 0.6°C (1.0 °F). This may not sound like very much change, but even one degree can affect the Earth. Below are some effects of climate change that we see happening now.

http://www.wwf.org.uk/oneplanet/audio_0000003942.asp
Anthony Field, Senior Campaigns Officer at WWF, talks to WWF ambassador and Oxford University environmental scientist Professor Norman Myers. Norman defies us to see the links between our own lifestyles and our impact on species and climate change.

Lentil

Postby Lentil » Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:42 pm

Eat less meat to save planet - British official
Reuters | Friday, 1 June 2007

Eating less meat and dairy could help tackle climate change by reducing the amount of methane gas emitted by cows and sheep, a British government agency says.

In an email leaked to vegetarian campaign group Viva, an official of Britain's Environment Agency expressed sympathy for the green benefits of a vegan diet, which bans all animal product foods.

The official said the government may in future recommend eating less meat as one of the "key environmental behavior changes" needed to combat climate change brought on by the production of greenhouse gases.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/4079369a19716.html

Return to “Vegetarian and Vegan”